Workspace Setup, and some basic questions, and introduction.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Workspace Setup, and some basic questions, and introduction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Workspace Setup, and some basic questions, and introduction.

Intro - webdesigner, flasher, (actionscripter), photoshopper, 3dsmaxer, mouse clicker, looking to convert my workflow to mostly tablet, longtimelurker, aspiring digital painter for my own personal improvement and to enhance the quality of my work overall.. eh... that's enough.

First off... i couldn't locate a post about how people set up their tablet in conjunction with their keyboard and other assorted peripherals...(workspace) . I basically have my my monitor, then keyboard, then tablet laying flat on the desk (probably needs more tilt). It is all pretty much square to my monitor. I know it's probably because i'm new to navigating with the pen, but it seems like certain things become really tedious... like typing this post with this big ass tablet in front of me. Some super basic MUST-DO tips would help tremendously.

Secondly... canvas size.

If my objective is to create a piece to fit my monitor resolution of 2560by1600, do i just work at exactly that size, or should I start with a larger canvas and reduce down upon completion?

One more quicky... should I teach myself painter, or just stick with photoshop since I know it already?

Thanks in advance,

var

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey vmedium. Welcome to CA...

Alot of these questions seem to be personal preference. Some will set up the keyboard beside tablet. Some behind it. Some people will use painter and some, photoshop. corel and adobe ahve learning trials on thier website, so why not download them and see what you like? Switch around the setup of your tablet and keyboard all you like. Whatever is comfortable. No one is going to penalize you for setting up with gear in a certain way.

As for image size. I personally think it's always good to work on a large canvas, even if you don't view it at small size. Incase you need to print it off for whatever reason. You can always shrink it later and have it look fine. Blowing ti up way bigger than the size it's made at will make you lose image quality, though.

/edit I think shamagim explained things better.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the working place issue, it would help if you show us a picture...I might have a cheap way you could use.

For canvas size, if you want to work in a piece that fits your monitor think double the size and work in a 50% size, zooming in when you feel you should....think 25% if you are planning to print it.

Keept it at 300 dpi and save it ( if you want) at 72 dpi for web, reduce after completion when you are showing things ( big fpics are ussualy for print only)

As for photoshop or painter...If you can try both, just check wich one is more confortable for you, they do the same thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Workspace

Canvas
    I definitely understand the differences in print, dpi, etc, as I am stuck in pixelPerfectWebDesignLand most of the time, but still bang out the occasional business card, or print design.

Latest Illustration

My question sort of revolved around the fact that most stuff looks better when it's zoomed out. And I know for instance, graff writers, painting a wall - they can get pretty damn close to the wall, and use a thin, but then they always have to step back to look at it. In pshop if i want to 'step closer to the wall', i end up getting pixelated distortion instead of the infinite resolution of life.

I guess I've created discussion topics, not questions with definitive answers...

var

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In pshop if i want to 'step closer to the wall', i end up getting pixelated distortion instead of the infinite resolution of life.
    Than make your 'zoomed in' size at 100%. And then work at 50% or something so it's not distorted.

The thing is, there's no definite answers.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.