Professor ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Professor ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Professor ?

This is just a silly question, but I'm really curious as to where one could get a doctoral degree or professor degree.

Not that I have to worry about that (at least not any time soon). But I've been checking out various schools in the US and none that I have viewed have a professor or doctoral degree. Where do people go to get these?

Just curious, feedback welcome

hlynur

Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huh? you want to be a professor in general knowledge like cliff the mailman from cheers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, no I was more like thinking art-wise. All the schools I've been checking out only offer Master of fine arts and that's as high as they go

cliff was a pretty cool guy though

Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    people only really get masters degrees is they want to teach or get "conceptual" type training mean that theyre probably going to think the project to death and end up gluing a semesters worth of trash to the ceiling of their loft and making a video of them dancing below it with a voodoo mask on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by togusa
    people only really get masters degrees is they want to teach or get "conceptual" type training mean that theyre probably going to think the project to death and end up gluing a semesters worth of trash to the ceiling of their loft and making a video of them dancing below it with a voodoo mask on.
    Thats a really great idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, doctor artist/ janitor. i have my phd in paintbrush. beeee-atch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /me don't understand jrr

but apparantly you can't learn to become a professor. Professors are doctors who teach... but still.. I can't find schools in US where you can get a doctorate degree in fine arts

but first i'll have to learn to draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i do not think that there is such a thing as a doctorate in arts... usually if you want to become a teacher(it depends where you wish to teach) then you can determine what type of education you need. in the us. i would think you would need a masters in order to teach in most colleges and universities as well as public schools. however there are always exceptions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think there is a doctorate for fine arts. As far as I know, doctorates are only given in the fields of studying religeon, law, medicine, philosophy and music The only well known artist with a title of 'doctor' I know of, is Dr. Paul Richer and he was a surgeon as well as an artist.

Masters degrees are the highest degrees in fine arts that I know of and have no relevance to the level of draftsmanship that someone might actually possess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MFA & PHD in art/design

There are some doctoral program beginning to pop-up around the country. Most programs are very self-directed, as most of the professors who teach the PHD only hold a Master of Fine Arts degree (now considered to be the terminal degree in any creative arts related field.) The focus of any PHD is considered to hold root in a lot of theoretical study, and usually culminates in the development of better methods of study. That means less hands-on, and more emhisis on thesis writing, curriculum development, posturing and such. An MFA degree is sufficiant to allow you to teach at the university level. Most Technical schools only require a BFA (or less) to teach.

There is a Doctor of Philosophy in Design Program in the College of Design at NC State University.

The Department of Technical Communication at the University of Washington is now launching a doctoral program. The field is broadly interdisciplinary, drawing on the intellectual traditions of disciplines as diverse as rhetoric, graphic design, and psychology.

Carnegie Mellon has a Doctoral in Design...a very well respected university, with about a half dozen students studing at the doctoral level.

There are a bunch more, but I must get back to work. Hope this helped.

Infiltrate & Expand at:
    >>mindwurm.com<<

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.