Dual-Screen Displays
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dual-Screen Displays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dual-Screen Displays

Im looking now at getting a dual-screen display, any suggestions?
    Who's using it now?
    Any concerns/gripes/recommendations?
    What would I need? how are the dual screen monitors?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how are the dual screen monitors?
    Well any monitors can be dual screen. The way it works is a videocard that allows dual screens will have a plug in the back of the comp that has 2 different inputs for monitors. It gets kind of screwy if you don't have 2 similar monitors, though.

However, I think it's great. digital painting with dual screens is amazing. You can keep a palette or playing with colors, and all of your menus and windows on one monitor and leave an extra one entirely blank for the image without disraction. Or keep a referrence pic on one monitor while you paint in the other or something.

Again, I think they're great if you have two similar monitors. When I first started using it, I had one monitor that was about half the size of the other. And it was a bit frustrating to get the resolutions set up... That and sometimes with dual monitors, a few programs won't know that there are 2 monitors. So sometimes I would have games or programs loading inbetween the two monitors and I could'nt set it to either side.

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light.

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a 19" CRT Mitsubishi Diamontron RDF193H for my main colour critical work. As a second monitor for my palletes and/or source files, I have a 17" Apple Studio display (not the newer cinema display). I bought the second monitor second hand for around 65 euro, and its great to have the extra real estate. I really like having a separate screen, as opposed to one huge screen, cause I can paint full screen mode on my main monitor while having all my tablets open on the other.

One thing to consider is you tablet. You can set it to cover one, or both monitors. Having it cover your main monitor means when you paint its just like before (same stroke length covers same length on screen). But then you can't access your tool bars that you so conveniently put away on the other monitor. If you want to do that, you have to set it to cover both monitors - but this means that as far as pure painting is concerned, your tablet just got cut in half (depending on the size of your monitors of course).

Just something to consider. I personally have the mapping set on both monitors, except for photoshop. When I want to pick colours etc. I use my mouse (I draw left handed, and 'mouse' right handed - so that works fine for me).

Those wide screen tablets make a lot of sense with a dual monitor set up.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Well any monitors can be dual screen. The way it works is a videocard that allows dual screens will have a plug in the back of the comp that has 2 different inputs for monitors. It gets kind of screwy if you don't have 2 similar monitors, though.
    well i was specifically talking about those ones that are 2 monitors put together on one stand.. you can look em up online if you want... my video card has a vga output and a dvi out too... is there a way to split dvi connections?

Last edited by Main Loop; September 4th, 2006 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a great thing, you can keep reference open in one and work on the other screen.
    I currently have a Apple cinema HD 20 inch and a 21 inch Cintiq which works as my second display(if you want a pure unadulterated screen, the cintiq is not what you want).
    I have no gripes so far and I wouldn't go back to one screen for nothing in the world. Once you get used to it, you don't go back.

You also become a lot more messy with your huge desktop though.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it possible to set up the tablet for one, but the mouse for the other? Then the problem Tensai mentioned would be solved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, like i said, you can set up the tablet for one, and your mouse for both...

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    after reading up on it a bit, i think the best way to do it with my video card is to get two dvi LCD monitors and a vga-dvi adapter... there's probably a ton of threads already asking this topic, but does anyone have any suggestions on good lcd monitors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Main Loop, I personally have a 10 year old Sony CRT and some crappy brand from walmart 19 inch lcd screen. My personal favorites for monitors have to be dell monitors and apple display screens. I would go for a dell though because of cost.

If I were you I would buy a secondhand Sony CRT or IBM CRT for like 80 bucks ( 21 inch or larger ) and then a really nice lcd screen. Costs less money and it gives you a bit better bang for your buck. That is just a suggestion though.

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Main Loop
    after reading up on it a bit, i think the best way to do it with my video card is to get two dvi LCD monitors and a vga-dvi adapter... there's probably a ton of threads already asking this topic, but does anyone have any suggestions on good lcd monitors?
    here's my take on things:

1.) you're trading price and quality for size when you go lcd instead of crt. LCD's are more expensive and generally aren't as good. If you already have a monitor, just buy one more and you're good to go. After all, you don't ned to have an awesome second monitor. As long as it functions, it doesn't matter.

2.) getting dvi monitors and then getting a vga video card seems silly to me. Just get a vid card with dual DVI and plug these 2 lcd monitors into it. Otherwise, you miss the whole point of having a dvi monitor by having to convert it back to vga.

3.) Like everyone's saying, I'm all about setting the tablet proportionally to your main screen and having a mouse let you move to the other screen. 2 monitor setups rock to the extreme max, and I'm never going back. As for how you'd set up the palettes and whatnot, do what feels right. I keep all of my palettes and paintings on my main screen and just use the second screen for the navigator palette (for a tiny zoom-out that I can always see), reference, and silly things like instant messenger.

Anyways, good luck with it!

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    I currently have a Apple cinema HD 20 inch and a 21 inch Cintiq which works as my second display(if you want a pure unadulterated screen, the cintiq is not what you want).
    I have no gripes so far and I wouldn't go back to one screen for nothing in the world. Once you get used to it, you don't go back.

I hate you . You just wait.......you have to sleep....And when you do....your stuff will be gone!

Mainloop: apple cinema and some LG´s are what you could look for in the case of getting LCD´s

I´m currently using a cheap Syncmaster 740 with digital input, it doesn´t have contrast problems and comes with a nice color setup program.

Digital instead og analog helps....I think, make sure you can at least plug a digital cord to it( aswell as checking if your video card has a port for it)

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by theincredibleandy
    here's my take on things:

1.) you're trading price and quality for size when you go lcd instead of crt. LCD's are more expensive and generally aren't as good. If you already have a monitor, just buy one more and you're good to go. After all, you don't ned to have an awesome second monitor. As long as it functions, it doesn't matter.

2.) getting dvi monitors and then getting a vga video card seems silly to me. Just get a vid card with dual DVI and plug these 2 lcd monitors into it. Otherwise, you miss the whole point of having a dvi monitor by having to convert it back to vga.

3.) Like everyone's saying, I'm all about setting the tablet proportionally to your main screen and having a mouse let you move to the other screen. 2 monitor setups rock to the extreme max, and I'm never going back. As for how you'd set up the palettes and whatnot, do what feels right. I keep all of my palettes and paintings on my main screen and just use the second screen for the navigator palette (for a tiny zoom-out that I can always see), reference, and silly things like instant messenger.

Anyways, good luck with it!
    really, lcd's arent as good as crt's? It cant be worse than my old bulky secondhand 17" dell CRT im using at the moment.. Nah im not wanting to go from DVI to VGA, i wanna do the opposite.. your suggsetion in #3 sounds about right, what i wanted to do.. Shamagim, does it matter what OS you're using for an Apple Cinema? Im not too impressed with LG displays with their LCD's, there's a noticeable difference between them and other better brands..

thanks for the suggestions, any more opinions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get your ass down to the apple store and get the 20 inch cinema screen and get a 100usd discount with your student card! Should be around 600usd with the new prices i see on the website... i bought it for 800usd standard price though.

I used a dual setup before between a 17- and a 22-incher CRTs but I don't miss it a bit. Pretty decent screens but the cinema LCD makes up for it eaasy. So if you got the money go for it.. if not sell your old screen -_- My work looked soo much better on the new screen.

Dual screens are cool though... its nice watching some show and paint at the same time.. but in the end PS/painter is doing a good job on one screen.. keeping it focused. hmm.. but I'm probably going back home soon going back to dual... or tripple

(and then there's the lucky people with the 30 incher!)

*edit .. im on a cinema with XP.. its all about the graphics card.. heard you can get it going with even a 9600radeon-card. ...aaand this LCD kick CRT ass... it seems pretty decent with games too... HL2 is flowing nice on it... *

Last edited by RasselTassel; September 5th, 2006 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rasseltassel - so, you think its worth the 600 bucks? Ok, next paycheck then, hehe... I have an Nvidia GeForce 6500, its nothing special, just gotta check to see if it works, it should though, its got a standard DVI port..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really, lcd's arent as good as crt's? It cant be worse than my old bulky secondhand 17" dell CRT im using at the moment.. Nah im not wanting to go from DVI to VGA, i wanna do the opposite.

thanks for the suggestions, any more opinions?
    from what I know, any time you have to use a dvi-vga converter (no matter which way you're converting) it won't be quite as good as it would be otherwise. You might not even see the difference, but supposedly it's there.

And yeah, you gotta pay big money for an lcd that's better than a crt. The main advantages are that lcd's are about 3x as energy-efficient and are way smaller. If you're on a budget and you want color accuracy, crt's are the way to go. If you're rich, just go get a cintiq (not the 18sx-those aren't as color-accurate) and be done with it.

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im not rich.. $600 i can do, $2400, ehh not quite..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by theincredibleandy
    ...And yeah, you gotta pay big money for an lcd that's better than a crt. The main advantages are that lcd's are about 3x as energy-efficient and are way smaller. If you're on a budget and you want color accuracy, crt's are the way to go...
    That is exactly what I think. Buy a good decent sized (19/21") CRT for your main work. Not having LCD for your main screen saves you a lot of money, while still giving good if not better quality.

Then for your second screen get either a smaller CRT, or a second hand lcd or whatever. 17" is nice so you can still view all sort of source files etc properly.

With the money you save you can get yourself a proper monitor calibration unit.

I don't know about what came out recently, but the Mitsubishi diamondtron m2 rdf series, used to have the same tube as the Lacie's.

The Lacie's are really nice, not cheap, but not as expensive as a Sony Artisan

$366 for a 19" - which should be enough if you have a second monitor?

These seem to be the newer Mitsubishi's - might want to read up on them. Don't know if they're still basically the same as the LaCie's. I guess there is loads of other good stuff out there.

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rasseltassel - so, you think its worth the 600 bucks? Ok, next paycheck then, hehe... I have an Nvidia GeForce 6500, its nothing special, just gotta check to see if it works, it should though, its got a standard DVI port..

Yeah it always comes down to the money. For me it was soo worth it. But we're all in different situations.

Hated sitting behind dual CRTs... I'm veery color and value-picky (who isnt) and I usually work in a dark environment for best control. The reflectiveness of the glass-CRT screens also bugged me.. making me work in an even darker room. But the Cinema's screen is non-glass non-reflective so i don't have to turn down the light as much in the room when working now. Saving my eyes for sure!.. too bad the crts already screwed me over for a couple of years : ).

But I do agree that most LCD's out there doesnt compare to a good CRT... thats the reason why I went with a CRT the last time around. So the arguments here are all good.

And surely the price tag on the cinema is reflected of its brand, apple.. like with anything. But the shit is good. I've been walking around some of the bigger electronic stores in the city and so far i havent really seen a better LCD out there. But im sure there are! (that are affordable too).

A couple of people seem to like the "formac gallery 2010" http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.ph...r=asc&start=30 - i dont know... might be worth a check.

As for calibartion on the cinema.. I've never calibrated it and its spot on for me. But maybe I'm just lucky. I've also seen 21"cintiqs next to other LCDs at studios... and for me its not quite there yet with the color.. but this is not a completely fair opinion because i didnt spend thaat much time with them.

I'm asuming you will do important color-work with the screen now... and if not I say go with something else.

But you know.. in the end any shitty screen will probably do fine to some extent im sure everyone here went through a couple of shitty screens in their life and did just fine. But man... the eyes! be careful with scary headache-CRTs.. especially the biig ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id rather spare my eyes from crt's from nw on, im definitely not going for a crt, sorry incredibleandy, tensai..... how does the dell monitor compare with the Apple Cinema? is there a 3rd/4th option i should know about too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    I hate you . You just wait.......you have to sleep....And when you do....your stuff will be gone!
    LOL....dibs on the cintiq

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm here to warn you of my mistakes... The thing you should also look for is panel technology. Using dual screens, viewing angle is important, and some LCDs color shift a lot on angle. The displays that give more consistent color over viewing angle use SIPS panels. I have the more popular MVA panels (17" Sonys) and the color shifts too much looking at one monitor, then the other. The other important factor is the backlight consistency/bleed.

Digital photographers also seem to recommend SIPS panels because of better colors. I have seen them side by side (Dell 2005 vs. Dell 2405), and the difference is quite big.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meatsworthy - what does SIPS stand for?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super In Plane Switching. More info here.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using double monitors since I started with comps back in the 80s. The current mess is two 20" apple cinemas which don't require any extra cards and such when run off a Mac. I originally started with two because in the old days, Illustrator required you to draw in one view and check the result in another. I simply had the same image in both monitors, one set to draw view and one for verification. Now I pile all my menu/palette shit and reference in one and work in the other.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.