Sketchbook: Bunny's bevy of abominations [weekly updates]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunny's bevy of abominations [weekly updates]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bunny's bevy of abominations [weekly updates]

I've spent too much time being emo and lame and not drawing, and now I have to make up for it. You know, everytime you take a break, the Japanese get that much further ahead.

My name is Nomi and I'm 17 years old, and I aspire to be a professional illustrator.
    I'm currently a tattoo apprentice and a freelance artist, when means I have no money. boo-hoo.
    commence the art!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bunny; January 4th, 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: update
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff:

I've never drawn a robot before.

Last edited by bunny; December 29th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there bunny!
    You've got a great sketchbook start going on here, relly like the rendering and allso the lines in the red pen sketches.
    I wish you good luck!
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much shit here I haven't seen before! This is all great stuff, I'll be subscribing to this.

My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck Deviantart you're in the right place and on the right path now.
    Your work looks pretty solid, especially for a 17 year old (that last sketch is awesome!), not much to crit yet.
    Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start, I think I was in a very similar mental state when I first found this site. At the age of sixteen I found this site, decided I was on the wrong path and threw away everything I had ever drawn (cheesy deviantart style anime junk), starting all over from the foundations. Its good to see more people are taking that path before they get stuck.
    That said I really like what youve got going on. Your charcoal work is the strongest I think. Keep pushing the foundations (anatomy, proportions, value, some colour and working from life) and I'm sure you'll see the quality and confidence of your work skyrocked exponentially. Make sure you get posting around here regularly and taking in everybody's helpful advice.

More in terms of crits, I think you should try to move farther from stylization in your work, at least for now. Get a solid foundation in realism, and by the time youve got a strong hang on those skills you will not only know how to more successfully exaggerate your figures and other subjects, but you're gonna develop your own unique style and approach to subjects and media.
    I'll give more specific/indepth crits once i can tell what direction youre going in.

(subscribed)

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all You're too kind.

SirGreenSock: I've only recently started to take life studies seriously; even more of an imperative for me to get with it. I will do my best, thanks (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page from a few days ago. I really have to work on drawing men. I've been drawing girls all these years, neglecting the Y chromosome.

... I don't have a scanner up and running at my house at the moment, so I have to take photographs of my sketchbook. Lame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you actually show some pretty good rendering skills in a number of these, the main issue though is the overriding 'style' factor that is seeping into them. Style is a cruel mistress to break when learning (as most people know - because honestly, I feel most people start out drawing 'a style' they like, rather than specifically studying art ). Unfortunately once you get a certain distance in, it's painfully difficult to break - but we gotta do that .

Maybe draw a bit more from life/reference photograph? I think this may be all you really need to push your work further, because you have the rendering ability, and good line quality, just have to apply it to the basic information rather than full compositions (which is what many of these seem to be aiming for). Anywho, good work, and keep trying to grow .

Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alzorath. I'll be posting some more studies over the next while
    But it is late, I have to get up early in the morning, and I have but two pages to showyou.

Wolf study & some quick Hogarth studies.
    hehh... "butt clenchy"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    Draw draw draw and study study study
    You've already given yourself the best advice possible. Along with that - drawing from life is the best way to learn.

I'm currently doing one still-life a day, which is teaching me loads. Care to join me?

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My only crit is with the girl with what appears to be a slit left arm, the hand looks a bit wonky. IMO it's either too small, of the lack of strong shading makes it look too flat, or both.

Keep drwaing. You clearly know what you're doing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the lengthy and nice post in my thread
    *pokes you in the back for more submissions* ;p

SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1157276861 <-- sexy! The unfinished enviro with the trees is also good.

Post more goodies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fetus is weird...I like the drawings tho, different stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    charcoal work is really strong, and although i like your style i do agree with others. being the same age, i can empathise, and drawing from life, photos, anything is all ive been doin for about 6 months now. take a life drawin class, but dont ignore drawing for fun, thats pretty much the most important part of the learning process. and dont be afraid to give yourself a break here and there. oh, and the 3/4 view wolf head looks awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pieces with ref look really good.
    The figures from the mind could use a little more work.
    good luck with the studies.

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff here =) This is definitely the place to come if you want to improve.

I'd like to see more anatomy studies. Lots of those and figure drawings, just bust em out. Quick sketches, lots of them, under 3 minutes for each. Then work your way up to more complicated sketches. You might know all this, but its good to have a reminder.

I like your style, but you need to work on the structure of your faces. Draw some skulls, its easy to find skull refs on google. Then learn how the skin goes over it, where the skull is visible (the cheek bones, jaw, etc). Once you learn these basics you can smooth out areas to show feminity/masculinity and things like that.

You're doing good, just keep bustin out the drawings and doing your studies. Dont forget life drawings!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeey c'mon it's been a week already and you know I can't live without the juice. (yeah)

SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seedling - One life study a day, eh? Well, I make no promises but I'll try my best.

Dindon - Hands are the bane of my existance,but I'm workin' on it.

Seer - no prob, man

lukavi - thanks

Zwickel - YOUR FACE is weird.

wookiedaboo - Thanks (:

Ksama - Yeah, i've only recently been doing life studies so it'll take a little while to gather a collection in my sketchbook. I'll be busting out some skull studies asap.

My schedule is all out of wack. I have to get up early and go to sleep early because of the time it takes for me to commute to my snooty overrated rich-kid art school. I'm not sure if I'll be able to update that often - I'm aiming for bi-weekly sketchspooges. Is that okay? Well, if it isn't too bad >=o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

I think everyone has said what I would have :p but I would still like to stop by to say that I like what you have shown .

The expresions on their faces I have to say are what hit me, They have impact and the demon with the gasmask, big fan of gas masks, I look forward to more.

Cheers,
    sly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand your pain. I've been on that path for about a year now and i can tell you - you won't regret it. Life drawing is key, people, still lives, anything, and don't forget to keep doing stuff even when you don't have fun - you'll break through and it will be better than ever. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could toss up the stuff you do for your courses? (as far as I know you don't have to sign a NDA for any schools )

I look forward to seeing more pieces.

Alzorath's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIPs:
    Tentacle girl, anime chick, a 15 minute self-portrait and an emo girl I saw at my bus stop, and some dark elf for a friend.

I could only get WIPs up this week, m'sorry. I might have some finished things by the beginning of next week, but who knows.

Alzorath: I try to quash work and play together when it comes to school, using my art time to sharpen my skills. However my courses are going slowly this year, and unfortunately they're slowing me down rather than helping me. Tho it's still early in the year, so, we'll see...

Fishspawn: Being an artist is perpetually frusterating, but, hey, I loves it thanks.

Sly's hand: Really? Hahha. I don't think I draw expressions well enough/with enough variance. So far I think I've only drawn three expressions: sexy pout, smirk, and ennui.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff...not much to really critique on this latest batch of drawings, they all look good so far (would be interesting to see anime girl colored ).

The only oddity I can point out, is the Tentacle girl's torso seems to be a bit akward to me - it seems like you'd see parts of muscles encasing the side of the ribcage under the uplifted arm.

Anywho...only minor issues, that I'd wager will probably be fixed as you progress(judging by the refining of the lines so far).

Looks good. Keep drawing & posting .

Alzorath's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hnnggg

Updayte.
    - Studies of ladies from a fashion mag. Bout 5-10 minutes each
    - inking tentacle gurl. I wanted to angle to be from the top, looking down. I should have drawn her eyes lower. Ah, well, lesson learned.
    - I am such a messy fucking artist. There is so much wrong with this picture, but I am determined to finish and fix it.
    - doodle of an armless girl.
    - WIP; plague meets rat
    - progress on Anime girl

Haven't been meeting my art quota. Must work harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bunny, it's great to see your determination and realizing it at your age. That's the first step, and you're already working on the next. Just keep pushing the studies and draw all the time! Draw everything you see, keep a sketchbook with you handy at all times, pocket size, huge, whatever size. You never know when you'll want to capture something inspiring.

-Z

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alzorath - holy shit I think I accidentally skipped your message. You're right about the ribcage thing; I'll go fix it right now

Zord - Thanks man, I do carry with me a sktechbook but it's mostly for jotting down ideas. I'm always running around when I'm out, and I get hardcore motion sickness if I try to draw on the bus *shrug*
    Just tryin' to be the best artist I can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anime girl is looking good. There needs to be a bit more distinction between the fur lining and the outer material, right now the blue-ness of them make them kind of blur into each other I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done for being so honest with yourself. I have students older than you that think bieng king of deviantart is the holy grail.

To be honest your drawing style is loose and expressive and, considering your age very good.
    I had the same problem as you back in the day where my solutions for facial features were too stylised - you can cure this by wiping the slate clean and learning to draw eyes/mouths/noses again from scratch. You'll get there quickly and then you can add style if you intend to.

Other than that you're doing well!

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4