Sketchbook: Mr Man's Doodalities - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digi Doodle, Its a doodle and its done digitally

This is purley a fast experiment to get used to whole photoshop thing and getting used to forms. Theres something about this though thats boggling me, does this need more lighter values im not sure? I must say I havent really been concentrating propery on this one as I selected most colours abit randomly and its time for bed lol. *face hits the keyboard*

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Form man, You need some form in there, the arms look like they are infront of the chest. Watch your values also. But this all comes with practise. Nice choice of colours, i can see them working. Keep it up man, you are improving!!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    badger made a good point. keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some real good stuff in here mate, like where this is going. My advice to you right now would be to first construct everything you draw with simply forms, cubes (preferably), cylinders and spheres. This will help the structure and once you don't need to worry so much about structure, your stuff will skyrocket. Also watch your line!

But I like this book overall, have some stars!
    ciao!

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In addition to the critiques already given for that last piece, I have something to say: use larger brush strokes! Use as large a brush as possible. Just think like you were using a real brush on a real canvas. Would you use a tiny little needle point brush to paint the sky? No, you'd use the largest brush at your disposal, at least for the initial passes. Same goes for this guy. Use larger strokes and less strokes, so you don't get a mess of smallish transparent brush strokes.
    Also, pay attention to edge quality. As you might now, Elwell wrote up a little thingy about it.
    Now, with the crits out of the way, some asspattery. That's a cool character design! I love beings with smooth, almost abstract faces like that. I think you're one of the most promising artists here. You've already shown that you have a great imagination, so just keep practicing so you skills match your ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Badger Thanks for the help josh, It certainly is hard getting my head around all this. Im not gonna give up though.

wakazou Thanks for the support dude!

Brendan N Cheers Brendan. I must say Ive never been one for underlying structure however I think im gonna give it a try. Would you suggest hogarth?

Moai That edge quality was a good read cheers, I have to say that it is a big weakness at the moment for me. Photoshop has been a really challenging medium for me, I think Im gonna have to play around with different brush types also, I just tend to stick with the generic brush setting.
    Oh and thanks for the compliments too, what you say really means alot to me and pushes me to go further so thanks for the boost

Okie, thought Id get to basics so I painted my mouse and telephone in greyscale. Probs spend 15 mins on each.
    Im finding it really hard to know how to start a painting. Do you block values in at 100% or less and what are the best values to lay down first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portrait WIP

Using a shaving mirror for this. Glasses coming in later.

Crits always welcome, need to get better at this photoshop business.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your pencil stuff. The drawings are really solid. The photoshop stuff could use a bit more blending though; but you are making great progress in understanding photoshop.

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rich! hows it goin bud. Youre powering on with some great progress bro.
    Got a little trick for ya. Take your reference photo guassian blur it untill you can only see shapes of light and dark. This is what you should paint first. Forget the details, they always come later, never before. Get your balance of light with dark sorted, then get into detail and you can't go wrong

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like your designs mate! How do you like them moleskins? The paper is quite smooth. Mine seems to take a pretty good beating. I'm excited to see your traditional work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wake101 Thanks Wake

Kian Thanks for the tips bro and thanks for visiting! Im gonna have a play around with this guasisan blur for sure, really wanna get this better

voodoochile Hey Rich, the moleskine is alot of fun and it takes inks pretty well considering how thin it is. Thanksfor stopping by

Quickie:

Quick observational drawings to get my blood going. Its done on an A3 so excuse the randomly cut corners. I think I used a 5b for these, just wanted a pencil that can cover a large area quickly. Sometimes tight rendering gets tiresome on a larger scale.

Ill try and get another update tonight if possible. I want to try and get as much obsy digi painting as I can.

Rich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow daily updates nice going rich. i like that last buch of quick sketches. the apple in the bottom right has a nice shape to it and the shadeing looks nice and uniform. kinda looks like the shadows they are casting are a little off but its hard to tell exactly with them getting cut off on the page like that.

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joelhinxman Thanks Joel, I want to try and get some kind of daily thing going, lets hope I stick to it. With the apples it could be that there are actually two light sources desk lamp and room light, sorry about the cutting off

Im thinking about getting a new tablet, this one is really doing my head in. It could be that I just have a shakey hand but I struggle to get a decent line with this thing.

The plug is free hand. Im suprised how challenging this was for such a simple shape. might try another angle of it tomorrow.

Haha this was alot of fun! I tryed out this interesting brush setting. Pressure opacity and non pressure size (whatever its called.) I changed the size with the [ ] keys as I felt I had more control that way. The images are just experiments and the creatures anatomy is way off. Im gonna have to play with this setting again though in more depth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to hear that you're going to keep this thing semi-regular. You best keep your word, BOOOOIIII!!! The digi. faces are looking a lot better than previous posts, seems as if you leveled up some. About the drawing of straight lines on the tablet, it's Practice, because think of it like this: if you can't draw straight lines on paper, it'll be more difficult on the tablet. Practice-practice-practice! And keep pushing the studies as well, keeping them regular is the hard part. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh i like that animaly thing, the values are pretty nice, and the other little paints seem more like little illustrations- so perhaps you could try bolder lines or something to go with them? theyre coming along well though =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zord Zord Bro, great to hear from you and thanks for your comments! I hope I can keep these studies up, its tough but ill try and be as regular as I can

lefran Thanks fran, Bold lines sounds like an interesting idea. Ill have to try it out some time.

Sorry this is abit of a shitty update. These are all on a thin A3 type paper hence why they dont fit, I dont want to waste the paper as my auntie bought it me for my bday so I feel abit bad not wanting to use it. Comes in handy for big loose doodles though
    I thought I should try and post things whether they are shit or good sorta like Mindcandymans Sb.

I think I need to slow down, bit pissed off today

Gonna try and get a ps pic done before tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, but i think you need to check the perspective on the sockets and such, because they looks like its off.
    and maybe be a bit looser with the pencil, they look like you press a bit hard.

strong sb, wish i had one like this.

//peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Round thing, sorry its not very interesting.

I found this random doodle I did in ps a few weeks ago too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man

From looking through your sketch book, it cleary shows that you have worked hard to develop your skills and it is definatly paying off! You also have wide variety of strong concepts which is a bonus.

Keep up the good work man.

C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AK86 Thanks for the comments dude!

wakazou Yeh the plug is wonky, I tried to do it freehand without vanishing points. I think though next time I will use a basic bit of perspective yet still freehand to keep the feeling more natural. We'll have to see how it goes I suppose. Thanks for the help and a good point also made on line too.

Uppy, I snuck into another classes life drawing today and did a study in my moleskine.
    It Was alot of fun, the guy had some tats and a pierced penis teehee.

Think my line needs to be lighter still.

*Edit would help If I posted the image*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sneaking into life drawing classes, huh? I was actually kinda disappointed with the life drawing class I took my last semester at college; every model was a middle-aged woman, and only one wasn't chubby. Good to see someone somewhere is drawing some varied and interesting figures.
    Anywho, next time perhaps draw multiple very loose gestures to really get the weight of the figure and reduce the form into simpler shapes. Don't get distracted by details, and focus on the overall shape. And don't cut your characters off at the shins.
    For your observational traditional media drawings, try out some vine charcoal rather than pencil. It's great for filling in large areas of tone. Then, you could go in with a combination of vine charcoal, an eraser, and a charcoal pencil to fine tune and add details. It's a far superior medium for larger drawings requiring large areas of tone, in my opinion.
    Your quickie mouse still life turned out very good. You asked about how to start out a digital painting. That's an issue I'm working on in my own work. I've settled on my own variant of Chuck Wadey's method, which he explains in this fantabulous tutorial. It's a fun way to paint.
    I'm likin' these frequent updates. Keep it up, you lesbian in a man's body!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe nice updates, sorry i haven't replied lately.

i like the one you did of yourself in the shaving mirror, i'd recognize it in a heartbeat.

if anything i think some of your chars are really short, maybe elongate them a bit.

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another crap digi test. At the moment ive just been reading and experimenting around with brushes etc, but I thought I should keep somat posted. sorry its not very good

Edit: Forgot this test, I bumped up the contrast abit though. I think this is one thing im really struggling with, contrast.

Last edited by Mr Man; January 27th, 2007 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up dude. Keep pushing hard and lets see you fill up the next 10 pages! I'm impressed and proud with your progress, so keep drawing

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai Hey Moai! You'd be suprised how rubbish our life drawing classes are. We have them for about 4-5 weeks once a year.. and because im so pissed off with us not having many I snuck into some A level life drawing classes. Even then half our models seem to be overweight and old lol.
    I have done some charcoal pieces with this model and others, I havent posted them though because my digicam isnt particularly great. Thanks for the idea on that though. Oh and also thanks for the digi link!

hp Ello me duck, thanks for stopping by

John_the_One Cheers dude

Alright folks, im trying to keep as regular as I can, its a little hard at the moment with all my college work mounting upon me, short deadlines and university applications to sort out etc.
    Heres a Moleskine doodle dump though for today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good, but slow down and draw something till its finished,
    draw more aswell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, love the snow man sequ.
    Form my friend, get some studies of the major masses down, that'll really help your confidence with gestures.
    Otherwise you are making good progress Rich, but i would say slow down with the rendering, think about each mark you make, as it all effects the surface.
    Keep it up!
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wakazou Your definatley right about needing to slow down. Everythings starting to look abit rushed and sloppy.

Badger Thanks mate, we need another meet soon bud!

Quick Moleskine life drawing.

The moth is a wip. Thanks to wakazou hes made me to do a tighter rendering, or at least take my time on a piece. This is from a photo reference and was done on bristol board, the actual sheet of paper is A3 but I managed to cram the moth onto the scanner. I also used a 2b pencil though I think I might change it for briz board, finding it hard to get darker values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice moth, maybe push the darks some more
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, so thats the crazy Bristol Board moth thingy? Interesting. The life drawing of the tattoo guy with no tattoos is good, and i keep laughing my ass off when i see the Snowman comic strip of Hitman ^^ Hahaaa!!

Note to self: START DRAWING FROM LIFE!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1