Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: ||"Where's Ctrl+Z?"||Crummy Life Drawings by an Idiot *Boobies!**56kDeath!*

Thanks

||"Where's Ctrl+Z?"||Crummy Life Drawings by an Idiot *Boobies!**56kDeath!*

Closeded! See my other thread for more of the same
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ewpost&t=56810

Hey guys, I need to learn to draw...

I've pretty much taught myself entirely on digital, have very little experience behind a pencil haha. I don't exactly understand line, that's just wierd crap that I swear you all are making up! Anyways ...

So, I started up with figure drawing this semester; I've got Figure Drawing 2 twice a week in the mornings and Figure Drawing 1 twice a week on the same days in the afternoon. (Heh, it's pretty bizarre to have them backwards but hey, I get to draw more.)

I previously made it to around half a semester of Figure Drawing 1 a few semesters back - not nearly enough! Can't say I got too much out of it

Anyways, I'm going to try and post much of what I do each week in here in the hopes that the brilliant and kind community here can help me out! Point out what I'm doing right, doing wrong - give me hints, tips and ideas to explore; you know, show me some love

So, could you? Would you? Help me pleeeeease!

- - - - - -

Oh, do note: I live in Utah - practically an oligarchy, hence you will sometimes see the models from Figure Drawing 1 eh, "draped" so to speak; o'well . . .

- - - - - -

Ok, let the mockery begin! I mean crits and comments!

Going to try and keep things chronological -

Sort of just let loose here, seeing what we remember - or what we've forgotten... ugh! I think this was after a few quickie warm-ups. I don't think I like 4B...

Little bit more time on this one I think, man - looking back now it's amazing how much of the process, from what little I got, from Figure Drawing 1 that I've forgotten. (Almost all !) Still just sort of playing it by ear...

Lil' more time here too I think, man - still not really using any sort of lay in or guidelines; ugh! Haha... Still not liking 4B.

Ok, so now he's reminded us about layins and line direction! Sweet! Never really used the sort of uhm, damn what's that called? Enveloping! Hey I think I finally sharpened my pencil on this one.

Yup, Figure Drawing 1 - "draped" models for probably the first half or so. Anyways, little warmed up for the day - sharp pencil and all. Starting to remember/re-learn this lay-in thing.

Lil' longer - starting to think about overlaps and just what I need to say with my lines... hmm hmm...

This one is one of those "continuos" line drawings, put your pencil down and never lift up. Most people seemed to hate them but I could feel my head working a bit differently so I think they are pretty cool. Can't exactly expect aesthetic results but hey...

This might be the next day, I dunno... more lay-ins and emphasis on line direction. Quickies.

Same.

Ok... these are strange. Starting with just negative shapes then building up with positive shapes - also a really different way to see things, could definetitly feel it working though. I think these are out of order...

Same thing, Negitive shapes then positive - building up like a jigsaw puzzle. Wierd but good. Yeah these are out of order, should be last... meh.

Just a quickie, starting to think more on overlapping... muahah. (makes so much more sense!)

Lil longer on this one, actually scanned these in first so they look a bit different. Tweaked the settings later to get it to look more true to life rather than this sharp pumped up high-contrast crap.

Yes yes I know, shouldn't ignore faces - look I've got plenty else to concentrate on right now We'll get to faces soon enough, I need to figure out how to use a pencil and how to draw first.

Another quickie layin - switched to HB today; I like it better for sure. Using those full graphite pencils by the way.

Just negative shapes, maybe I cheated a little bit with the uhm - envelope but it was still good practice!

Same.

Ok, let the mockery begin! I mean crits and comments!

So, could you? Would you? Help me pleeeeease!
    Last edited by Idiot Apathy; May 28th, 2007 at 03:40 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey man, this looks good already! your proportions are right, the lines are where they're meant to be so in my humble opinion theres not much to crit, exept for the hands, which look a little small. whatever, i think youre on the right way! : ask some of the freakin dudes here, to give you some more help, dont know what else i could say...

Thanks
    looks okay to me <shrug>

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    hey man, awesome lines! I will soon start some life drawing classes too, so it's especially inspiring right now. makes me want it even more! ,)
    Be careful with propotions tho, hands seem a bit small sometimes.

Really cool, keep it uP!
    tiger

Thanks
    hey you! Idiot! I'm glad to see you here! (always wanted to say that without ppl geting mad at me ^^)

let's go and get to the mockery ... I mean the c&c:
    -first of what I see from your drawings is that you concentrate on the line VERY much
    -you maybe don't like 4B but you'll love it soon enough
    -when I do figure drawing I try to work "3D" which means I always use shadows to enhance the volume and form
    -most of the lines are so straight they look like drawn with MS paint, human forms are round (mostly) never forget that
    -spend more time on every single painting if possible, use all the time you can get from the model
    -when using the pencil don't think "have to use ocopacity 100%" the 4B gives you a large variety of value and broath (try on a paper how many different "brushsettings" you can achieve with only that one tool)
    -plz draw fingers faces tows wrists elbows and all the other shit you maybe don't want to draw but which is THERE
    -draw everything what you can see
    -maybe a bit of the chair she is sitting on, too

I'll get back to you if I remember more
    I hope I didn't discourage you but figure drawing isn't about simplification it's about observation

Ctrl+Z is white (mostly) has the size of a post stamp and lies at a place where one can't find it ^^

keep it up dude
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Okay... you don't need help, your doing great .
    Your line and proportions are really improving.

Somethings I will mention are;
    - maybe you are being encouraged to really focus on your line in your L-D classes, but I think you are relying on it way too much. Try not to make it so heavy. When you 'plan' out the figure, do it lightly. Then when you have the basics down, start applying heavy lines where you observe them. Also, let the values dictate the forms. Look at some of Loomis's work and see how he sometimes never uses lines.
    - negative space is not only about the obvious shapes you see. Its also about the irregularities on the surface of the figure. Just use your pencil and, at a distance, hold it up against a feature you perceive as straight (such as the back, or the arm). You will notice the subtle negative spaces that gives the arm (etc...) more defintion.

I have no idea what 'enveloping' and 'overlapping' are, but I love the idea of just doing a negative space studies. Oh yeah and always render the face in longer poses - it's good practice. If it bothers you, then make it the first thing you render, then its easier to correct things if you have made mistake.
    Hope this helps
    ~a

Thanks
    good stuff. nice too see your life drawings. Love continuos live drawing as well.

I think some of those are still a bit stiff. perhaps concentrate more on seeing and understanding and less about the drawing.
    also practice blinddrawing (drawing the model without looking at your paper). this will help your perception.

oh and just by the way: wheres the artnerd forum? I can't find it anymore. Send me a pm if the url has changed or if you need a new host for it.
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ediummaybe.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...lillonger2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...6lillonger.jpg
    For your first figure drawing sessions you're doing fantastic. These ones really pop. You'll do thousands of drawings you hate to get to the ones you love, so the pencil miles count. Just keep it up! One thing that I wish I had done more during my classes was studying anatomy independently. Maybe you can leave learning the names of every muscle for a little later but learning WHAT you're seeing under the skin helps immensely. The "landmarks" that you can see under the skin will give you extra things to reference when setting up proportions and relationships within a drawing.

Keep it up, you kick so much ass already you'll be unstoppable soon!

Thanks
    Hey bro. For someone who says that can't draw, well, your doing something right

Awesome start on this SB man. Better than me, so i don't have much other than asspats. Really cant wait to see how everything turns out!

Glad you made a traditional SB.

Thanks
    Finally Tom, some drawings!

Proportions overall consistent, line quality is interesting and not chicken-scratchy, which is very good.
    Of course you might have some uncertainties here and there with faces and such but nothing that can be overcome with practice.
    You got a promising start Tom, don't let it go to waste.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    hooray, new sb.
    The only thing i should add, is that it would be worthy to render some of these, and try some charcoal perhaps.
    See rodrigos sb if you havent for the exceptional life drawing goodness.
    good luck sir

Thanks
    wtf man these arent as bad as you say!
    you have a few approaches, like you can start by looking only at shapes and angles, or start with masses, eg. rib/pelv/skull. i think a mix of both is good, starting with the overall shape then adding in those 3 masses and how they are compared to each other..e.g the skull is to the side of the rib etc.
    i think for now just keep practising because its a tough thing to get used to.
    EDIT: LOVE the title, totally made me laugh harharhar!! id love to see you say that to the teacher rofl

Thanks
    hey man, I don't think I can give any advice that hasn't already been given yet, but just dropping a note to say how awesome it is that you're getting some trad going on, looking forward to seeing where it takes you!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast