Mercenary
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mercenary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mercenary

Thereīs something i donīt think is right about this pic... At least iīm not sure about it...

Would you tell me your oppinion about it? Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DoInferno,

I think the anatomy needs some help. His left shoulder is pushed out, but his torso is still facing where he is firing, or that's how it seems. That left upper arm also looks too long. I'm assuming that he has a cloud of dust at his feet but it doesn't really look too dusty, try showing more sillhouette of his legs through the clouds and maybe change the colour so that it more closely matches the rest of the desert. I don't know much about guns, but I do think if he's got it raised to look through the site, he'd want to have the site a lot closer to his face when he's firing. Hm, maybe instead of moving his left shoulder back you'd want to move his right shoulder back to bring the gun closer to him. Keep plugging away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That gun doesn't look solid at all, it reminds me of Magic Sand/Squand. The edges of the gun are way too wonky to convey a sense of realism or solidity, get rid of all the curves you have scattered around its outline. Check a reference of an automatic weapon like an AK47 or an M2 Machine Gun to get the gun forms down. What sticks out the most(no pun intended) is the buttstock, it's way too long to be of any use. If he fired the weapon with that stock against his shoulder he'd probably break his collarbone and snap the stock right off.

It also looks like you're trying to modify the guy to fit the gun, and you've dislocated his steadying arm at the shoulder to get him in the pose you want. Again, take a look at some references, of people firing automatic weapons, or just weapons in general. Pencil in a basic stick figure holding a rectangle to get the position of the gun and its handler correct before you paint it up.

A nice start DOInferno, keep at it!

Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Move on. Do a bunch of new paintings. Obsessing over the refinement of individual pieces won't help you just yet.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I totally agree on the anatomy problems and the gun being a little strange... Maybe i should have used a rule to drawn it... Unfortunatly i didn´t see those mistakes before painting, and it´s not a digital painting...

Now i must decide what´s better:

1 - Make a new version of the drawnwing as a study.
    2 - Try to fix these problems direct on the painting (though one...)
    3 - Try to fix these issues digitally....
    4 - None of these. Really move on.

What ya say?

My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really move on-do a lot of anatomy and figure studies.

'...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what everyone else said,plus: study lightning. perspective. and the way he's holding the gun right now,it would probably dislocate his arm.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are my three biggest issues, the hands the left shoulder and the gun

hands-I have a hard time drawing hands, so I cant help you much here,
    the left shoulder-should be lower
    the gun-apears to be an m16-a3 however its just not quite right, the mag is to rounded at the edges, the barrel is slightly bent, the reciever is to small , and the trigger gaurd is just too big. To get it down pat I think all you really need is a good m16 refrence, google images works fine.

peace man
    SLY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, re-doing a traditional painting is a pain in the butt. I say if you want to keep this idea for a painting scrap this guy and do a bunch of little sketches first to get the pose and overall composition to something you're confident with, then go from there. Best of luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.