Massive Metal Mauling [*update*]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Massive Metal Mauling [*update*]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Massive Metal Mauling [*update*]

Hey guys,

here's a WIP, here we have a couple of robots terrorizing the city. The intent is to have a skewed perspective on the foreground robot; everything behind him will be stylized silhouettes. (note: Iíd like to hear some crits on this too, right now the perspective on the robot is stretching up to the sky while the background is intentionally flat, I have an idea in my head but getting it out is tougher than I thought).

C+C is welcome everywhere, but the area I am most interested in receiving help is the area in front of the main guy. The idea is to have chaos at his feet, and him looking down to check it out. What is missing is the composition on the bottom right and left hand corners. If anyone has some ideas or suggestions they are more than welcome to speak up (or write up as the case my be).

Paintovers are ok too, but this is still in its preliminary stages.

Fire away

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mikeasaurus; January 31st, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boo-yah! A mecha pic! My favorite...

My major isssue is with your perspective. The horizon is set to the closest giant mecha's waist, which is OK, but the angle you have it set at makes the giant seem human size, and the city a miniature one at best. To make robots and giants and such appear bigger and more powerful, it would be better to lower the horizon to a worm's-eye view. That way, you could use three-point persective to draw the robot, and make this image pop. If the intent is to make the robot seem like he's terrorizing the city, right now his pose is almost like he stepped in something by accident...

Robot Pilot #1 - What was that? Dude, did we step on something?

RP#2 - I dunno, lemme see... hey, I think it's a car!

RP#1 - That's no car, it's just a Mustang. It's the Caddy's you have to watch out for... the older ones have sharp fins...

Remember, these city-terrorizing robots are huge! Stepping on a car the size you have drawn it would be nothing, and the robot should be almost able to ignore it. Closing in on the action, while forcing the perspective on this piece would be a great improvement.

Keep it up. You're doing great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about some calling out the military on this one! Maybe have some tanks shooting at him? That would also give the opportunity for some cool lighting effects. BTW, I LOVE your avatar!

Honest, I don't try to be an asshole, it just happens!

http://evildragonfire.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Az, i'm glad you found your way to the tread!

Thanks for the input guys! I agree, when I was working on teh foot I was thinking the same thing, it looked like he stepped in something, haha. That will be the first order of business right after i move the horizon down a bit. When i drew the robot i was thinking "horizon at the legs, he's big, keep it low", The background got away from me there.

Evildragonfire - i like the idea of tanks and stuff, these guys are big so it makes sense the military would be ready for them.

Keep them crits coming guys! I want to hear it ALL!

Look for an update next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After going back and giving my work the eye I have refined it to better address the issues yoiu guys brought up, and you know what, it looks more like what I am looking for than it did before! awsome!

The next step is to flesh out the buildings a little more and add some depth to the background and sky (And as suggusted before, he'll be under attack!) . The idea is to have him crushing the city beneath, which was slightly different scale than what I was going for originally, but I feel works much better.
    If you guys have any more crits, KEEP THEM COMING your words are keeping me on the right track and stopping me from making some really careless errors.

Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some fleshing out of the foreground, redrew the back 2 robots.

Plans for inking starting to brew. Any crits on perspective would be awsome to hear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "After 10,000 years I am free! Time to conquer... EARTH!"
    This piece has been left on the back burner for a while, itís time to revamp it! Hereís the latest. Itís pen and marker on canvas 330 x 432mm (13Ēx17Ē). I incorporated the input you guys gave me; I think itís turned out better than I had anticipated!

Crits are encouraged (I need to know what I can fix for net time), Iím interested to hear what you guys think about the colour, composition (for serious), and style.

Iíll post the progress shots later today if I get the time (gotta love work!)

mikeasaurus

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.