Art: Referencing human figure

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Referencing human figure

Hi,

I definitelly need to improve on my skills in representing human figure. Now, since I don't have an infinite supply of naked men and women who could pose in front of me, and I'm not inrolled in a class where they have models posing, although I will consider the option of getting into one of these classes, I wonder what could be a good substitute for drawing from real life. Do you think using artistic nude photographs is a good reference source. I mean, I could go out and sketch people on the street, or on the beach and all, at least to get their gestures, etc., but you need a degree of stillness to do decent drawings, right?

Anyways, the question is, what do you think of drawing from photographs, can it be a good replacement for a real-life model?

cheers!

Last edited by miljenko; September 4th, 2006 at 05:59 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photo's are in no way a good replacement for a real-life model. Better to sketch from people on the street, on the athletic field, or the beach, and supplement by using photos for simple studies and observation. For prolonged drawings you can work from classical/figure sculpture in the museum. It's best to use photos after you have a grasp of the figure, so that you have enough knowledge to work around the shortcomings of
    photography. Frankly, anyone who is truly interested in figure drawing or a future in art should spend the necessary time, money, and effort to get instruction and study from a live nude model. Think of it as an investment.

Also learning anatomy will go a long way in helping you make the most of life sketches where time is a factor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot dude. So, I should get out and sketch real people and at the same time study from anatomy textbooks as much as I can. It is in fact hard to draw from the photo, because you are limited to a 2D depiction, while if you have a model in front of you, you may stick out your neck and observe it from a different angle, and see what goes on much better.

Last edited by miljenko; September 4th, 2006 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, don't underestimate the value of a good mirror. You don't have to be a physical specimen to get any value from studying your own body. Consider having friends and family members be your models for hand and head studies.
    Like I said, don't completely ignore the use of photos to supplement your study. The important thing is to learn any way you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm a good replacement for drawing from life is drawing from other artists.. especially master drawings..somehow you can connect with it..the strokes will take you closer to the moment the master was drawing it.. when i dont draw from the model i copy a good master drawing..

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_allejo05
    hmm a good replacement for drawing from life is drawing from other artists.. especially master drawings..somehow you can connect with it..the strokes will take you closer to the moment the master was drawing it.. when i dont draw from the model i copy a good master drawing..
    Good idea. I forgot about that.
    I suggest Rubens, Prudhon, Pontormo, Van Dyck. MIchelangelo when you get more advanced as the musculature in his drawings can be overwhelming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's better to study from photos than from people in public. People in public are wearing too much clothing and are moving to fast to learn anything useful about anatomy. All you can do is swipe poses and mannerisms, and even then they aren't that interesting in themselves you're the one who has to make it look interesting through composition, and you won't be able to do this until you already have some figure drawing skills. Edweard Muybridge's photos are a good source to learn proportion, look at "The Human Figure in Motion". There are lots of great photos to learn from. It's actually dangerous to study master drawings without an instructor to guide you telling which ones to look at for what reasons. A simple example is Durer, you can learn proportion, planes, and rendering of solids from him, but his drawings won't do you any good if you trying to draw realistic people. Also his early work has errors not found in his later, so you'd be screwing yourself over by ignorantly studying his early stuff.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I started a little discussion here. Well I guess I'll look up old masters and textbooks on figure drawing and anatomy, pose in front of the mirror, etc. Also, I learned that there's apparently an art class in the neighbourhood starting at the end of this month, where they supposedly hire live models to pose, so I'll see hows it like. I think I'll give the photos a rest for a while, since I think I've been using them alot lately, but will go back to them when I need to reference a certain gesture or something.

Last edited by miljenko; September 5th, 2006 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, if you want to get really good (and free) models thatll work your gesture drawings, try drawing on a train or other places where people are usually waiting with one pose. ive recently started drawing on trains, its been lots of fun, and its helped my figurative stuff immensely. try it out sometime. cheers.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just found a peculiar thing. Its called Virtual Pose v.3. Its basically a collection of 360 degree photos that can be viewed with Quicktime application. Wonder what you think of that, since one is able to move the photo around and look at figure and limbs from different perspective just as one might observe the model from different angles in the art class. So it is photographs nonetheless, but with some obvious advantages.

I am glad that I can say that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't swear.

Shit, I do drink and smoke.

MyBlog: http://worldofmishimi.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more aspects of vision something mimicks, then obviously the more info it will give you. Movement is the main way that we understand form, so that would be the next best thing to life drawing. Don't get me wrong though, studying master drawings is also very important. But 360 poses is undeniably useful.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando
    ...Don't get me wrong though, studying master drawings is also very important...
    Goes without saying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

drawing from photos

Y wouldnt drawing from photos be a good idea? Drawing is being able copy wat u see on the picture plane and thats exactly wat a camera does. Thats wat cast drawing is for to make a observation from a certain distance and putting wat u see using a plumb line theirs no reason y u cant use those kind of technieces with a photo. take a photo scan it on ur pc throw it on photoshop make it black and white throw done a line threw the picture and do a comparative drawing on ur desk but use a drawing board so u can draw wats infront of u.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by armando
    It's actually dangerous to study master drawings without an instructor to guide you telling which ones to look at for what reasons.
    About the only dangerous thing you can do with a pencil is stab yourself in the eye.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dlip201
    Y wouldnt drawing from photos be a good idea? Drawing is being able copy wat u see on the picture plane and thats exactly wat a camera does. Thats wat cast drawing is for to make a observation from a certain distance and putting wat u see using a plumb line theirs no reason y u cant use those kind of technieces with a photo. take a photo scan it on ur pc throw it on photoshop make it black and white throw done a line threw the picture and do a comparative drawing on ur desk but use a drawing board so u can draw wats infront of u.
    We're not talking about improving general drawing skills but improving figure drawing skills. Photographs do not give a completely accurate picture that's why they are best used to supplement one's study from life. You don't get the depth of form and proper forshortening in a photograph, nor the thrusts, spirals, interplay of the muscles and bones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    About the only dangerous thing you can do with a pencil is stab yourself in the eye.
    Fine, then substitute "dangerous" with "waste of time". There are lots of examples of kids doing improper studies and making zero progress.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not participate in this ongoing Master Copy Workshop?

Anatomy Lesson Series: Body Part 2 - The Torso
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...8&page=1&pp=15

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rebeccak: how come theres not Zip file download on this one like there was on the heads? makes life soooooo much easier...... less downloading, more drawing!

thanks for hosting these, btw, theyre a great learning tool. im still doing the heads.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I did this with the help of virtual poser. I hope to get inside the sketching group, apparently they'll meet tonight, so if I'm lucky I'll be able to sketch from the real life model.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, just came back from the class I was talking about. I got in just in time to do a quick charcoal sketch, as I had been misinformed about the time the group begins. The model was dressed all the time, so if I wanted to do nudes, I will have to look for somewhere else. The group's leader is a retired art professor who knows like every muscle and bone in latin, and he bothered to explain certain things about anatomy to me, which was very motivating for me.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's another one from last evening:
    Referencing human figure

Last edited by miljenko; October 8th, 2006 at 08:56 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.