Graphite sketch for Gnomon final
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Graphite sketch for Gnomon final

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graphite sketch for Gnomon final

Here is one of my graphite roughs for the environment class I am taking at Gnomon. I have several shots based on the theme I choose, this being just the first that I am working out. Only 2 classes left in the course, final project here I come!

Graphite on Layout paper, the lighting will be coming from the upper right, but I havent gone back and fully pulled the light areas out yet.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by artiphats; September 1st, 2006 at 12:03 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice!!! I'm a fan of Mike Yamada's value sketches.
    This reminds me of that!

I have dreams of learning in Gnomon!
    Seems like you made a good investment because the outcome turned up nice.

Any chance we'd see some process or share secrets?!

A process to color would be nice.

Good luck in the finals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dope, Great job, nice composition and very cool Lions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heheh, lions in a jungle is a bit odd, but I don't think that'll register with most people. The temple looks a bit close to the edge of the falls. I'm not too sure about the trail of footsteps either. Is the ground muddy? Was the grass there so pristine that the explorers have forever left their mark? It leads the eye off the image a bit too, as after the eye hits the explorers it follow the trail.
    Also, the areas under rocks jutting out from the falls, perhaps you should give it more depth? Right now it looks like there's just a flat wall behind the water.
    Otherwise, nice work. The foliage comes in nicely and I love the details of the stonework.

Trust me
    as long as I donít look
    no one gets hurt.
    as long as I donít care,
    youíll be safe:warm:good to
    handle.
    Really!

My Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback everyone! I had class yesterday, and showed this piece and another one to our instructor, who also gave me some additional input.

Chender: I'm not sure why you say lions in a jungle is a bit odd, after all the lion is "The King of the Jungle"! Seriously though, the idea for the assignment was to come up with an idea for a lost city, hidden somewhere in the jungle or maybe high above waterfalls, or both. One guy in class noted that whenever someone does a lost city, they always use the same old Olmec or Easter Island looking heads. So in trying to do something different, I decided to go with a lion theme. As I researched reference, I noted that both the egyptians and the babylonians had statues of lions that they built, so my story became an ancient civilization whose ruins no one had discovered yet.

Remember that I noted the light areas had not been pulled yet when I scanned the sketch in, when I get this to painting stage the temple / pyramid in the back will be washed out as to appear further away. As for the footprints, the ground does not have to be muddy in order to be soft, and if no one has walked there for thousands of years then they would easily leave tracks. The ground around them should be a bit lighter, so it draws the eye to the characters. You are right that the landscaping should not be pristine looking, but much more overgrown. I am adding more plantlife and wild vines and such, and when I get the lighting finished I think the tracks will lead the viewer to the people not away from them. Another thing you hit on the head was the rock behind the waterfalls, our instructor gave me some great tips for getting those rocks and the water to read better.

I am continuing work on this, and a couple other lion / jungle shots, so I will post more as the works progress. This week though, we have a whole new theme to tackle, which is our last and final project.

Thanks again for the comments, I will keep them in mind as I work on the other shots. And hey, 2 people used their very first post on little old me???

WOW I feel so special!

-Ray

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.