Thanks

Instructional Painter dvds?

I'm a few days away from ordering the gnomon analog bundle (all 64 dvds) but what i've noticed is every one of the demos i watched on their site has everyone working in photoshop. Its all a treasure of information regardless of what program, but it made me wonder... Where are the really high quality painter dvds? If i can, i would like to pick up a few good painter ones aswell. I just don't know where they are!
    My work: [link]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Carlos Huante uses Painter in his demo's.
    And old version though (something like 6).
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Puddnhead has a digital painting DVD with Painter.

Thanks
    Well, thats 2 dvds in the bundle. I'm surprised a more prominant source for dvds isn't presenting itself.

Thanks
    Ryan Church uses painter as well

Thanks
    I believe a lot of those dvd's are about maya and other 3D programs. Some are painter, some are photoshop, some are traditional and some I believe are even sculpture? But a good majority are 3D? Are you sure all those different directions are what you want Blue? Plus, you can buy a LOT of those on ebay... cheaper?

Thanks
    I have some of the analog titles (feng's, ryan's, etc.), but let me tell you, the dvd instructors use Painter or Photoshop but they don't fully explain either software or their own custom settings. Unlike the Gnomon zbrush dvds by meats meier, where he covers pretty much everything in the menu palettes.

It's more about individual work processes than an instruction or an explanation of the softwares. Just so you know what to expect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee
    the dvd instructors use Painter or Photoshop but they don't fully explain either software or their own custom settings.

It's more about individual work processes than an instruction or an explanation of the softwares. Just so you know what to expect.
    Exactly, but what really gets me, is that it shows Photoshop or Painter program like your working on it on your own computer, but it's all BLURRY. You can't read ANYTHING! So unless your already expert level and know everything there is to know about the programs, there's no hope to keeping up. Plus like FlipMcgee said, they're customed setup and you can't really tell how cause it's so blurry. I really wish you could just put the whole presentation in your own program and see it progress.

So anyway, the analog dvd's are the only ones worth buying. I remember you were wanting to buy something else Blue? At least buy one or two before you set your heart to the whole bundle man.

Thanks
    feng switches back and forth between painter and PS.

Thanks
    i wanna know when the promised Massive Black DVDs are coming out....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin
    So anyway, the analog dvd's are the only ones worth buying. I remember you were wanting to buy something else Blue? At least buy one or two before you set your heart to the whole bundle man.
    Nah, just the analog titles. I watched one or two in the past and loved them, after watching as many of the free clips on gnomon's site i figure it would be worth it in the long run to drop housing for one semester and use that money to buy these. Guess painter being my main tool, its going to be a lil rough to see most of these dvds being taught in photoshop.

But i guess the program itself is irrelevant like everyone says, because you can't see well enough to know exactly what settings and so on they use. I believe i can mentally translate it all from photoshop to painter.

Still though, if these dvds are geared heavily towards technique, where can i find a good "tips and tricks" dvd on painter itself? Something that can streamline my illustration process. Doesn't corel make something like this?

Thanks
    I don't think the program is so important. I found you only need a number of features in photoshop for painting, i almost never touch the filters for instance. It is similar for painter. Whats most interesting about the gnomon dvds is seeing the instructors paint, not finding out what certain filters do. I'm pretty certain they use standard brushes in painter too, and if not, they'll tell you what they do. Being an expert at photoshop only makes you a manky.

edit:
    But i guess the program itself is irrelevant like everyone says, because you can't see well enough to know exactly what settings and so on they use. I believe i can mentally translate it all from photoshop to painter.
    See, answered your own question there.

Thanks
    If you want to learn the program, I'd suggest a good book like Seegmiller's book on painting digital characters or Painter IX wow!

The gnomon analogue dvds are great for process but do not get into the software fundamentals. Also, I think buying all 64 might be a bit overkill, I'd suggest buying one at a time and learning soundly from each before getting another, the fact is you should watch one repeatedly, followed by weeks of practice before moving to another.

Watching all 64 of them isn't going to make you more proficient, watching one and nailing those skills presented in one will be worth more to making your skill increase than trying to cram all those countless hours down your own throat.

Also, technique and fundamental overlap happens quite a bit, I have about 12 and I already notice that.

Thanks
    Ahh thanks for the head's up magic man. I looked up Seegmiller and was pretty blown away by his stuff. I'm definitely going to pick up one of his books. I bookmarked his homepage.

I decided to grab all the dvds in a bundle just because its more economical in the long run, and as a college student i can't afford to spend much. I doubt i'll even tear them all open when i first get them (there are one or two i am itching to watch, though). Really, its just to make up for the entire lack of an art department at my current university. I'm not there studying art anyway, so i can't complain, but i would rather have a self asserted curriculum at home so i don't slack with growing artistically. Considering living off campus freed up 6 grand this semester, putting down 2,400 for the entire bundle is not bad. The rest goes towards rent, food and next semester's bill.

Needless to say, i can't wait to hold them in my hands.

Thanks
    No problems, as long as you understand that they are merely a means and not an ends in themselves, all should be well.

Good luck with your art career and learning.

m

Thanks
    I have a few of the Gnomon DVD's also, and they are less about the software and more about the art technique.

For thorough software DVD's, check out lynda.com. They are pretty detailed.
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up."
    - Pablo Picasso

<<< Sketchbook >>>

Thanks
    I think Magic Man's advice is dead on. Watch each one repeatedly to really absorb the information, almost to the point where you can anticipate what the artist is going to do next, and practice those techniques for a while until the ideas don't feel so foreign to you. After that, move on to the next DVD. Ryan Church uses painter in his DVDs, and he goes over SOME of the basic functions in Painter. Honestly a little research and trying to mimic what Church does will help you learn the program a little faster.

Thanks
    Also, on Church's website (incidentally, ryanchurch.com), he's got a section on what sort of brushes he uses, which helps a bit when you're watching him work because he mentions them frequently and how they help his illustration but he doesn't go into detail about his exact settings.