Sketchbook: Lee's sketchbook - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey oldnoobie I'm loving the action pose doodles. I agree with lefran about the exaggeration in the portraits. If you're going for exagerattion, don't. Just go for realism until you have that down and then exagerration will come naturally. If you're not going for exagerration, just keep practicing . I still think many elements of your portraits are too harsh, especially folds in the face. I think it happens because your lines/rendering are too harsh, a problem I also have. I don't notice it so much in your other drawings, just the portraits.

The last portrait is looking better though, keep heading in that direction. And keep showing us the action gestures Looking foreward to more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey OldNoobie,
    Thanks for stopping in my sketchbook, Its funny you say that about the bob ross paintings because I actually watched a bunch of bob ross videos on the internet to get an idea how to go about doing a landscape, I did that one all in one shot, I don't know much about oil paintings, I've asked a few people some questions in their threads to get a better idea, it seems like you're pretty good with them. That last portrait.... angelina jolie? and I like this pose: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1163998168
    some could say its stiff but I think its got character.

Mabee I can offer a crit, You have very nice action poses, very dynamic, but most of them are a little sloppy, Mabee work with less lines or clean them up, or work out all that sketchyness with a lighter pencil or a colored one like blue pencil then go back and clean with a darker pencil, disregard this if you are already aware of this and you could be just doing them for practice of the pose and not looking for any clean looking sketching, also I dunno if you work with an eraser this is something I have a problem doing, I wont want to erase something Ill just settle for the way it came out and move on to something new, some of them look like if you erased a few times and really figured out how that section of the body moved or worked and sketched it back in a few times it could look alot nicer. This is just nit picky stuff, your work is excellent, I should just shut up and go practice sketching myself!
    Great work though, I really enjoy those portraits especially the ones in oil.

Take care,

Joe.

Last edited by Mr-Joe; November 20th, 2006 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really really like that first page! make some more like that.
    will make me happy.

but i ask my drawing teacher who's an respected artist in my Holland. but he said there are now white charcoal, because charcoal is burned stuff, and that never could be white. so could you mean something else by white charcoal?
    I hope you can give me a clue, because it really looks awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a rough last couple of days, stupid windows update keep wanting to install an update that has already been installed. After it installs over the previous one, it causes a "cannot write to location" error and the almost the entire system freezes. The only thing I can use is the mouse and windows explorer. Not even the task bar works, so been trying for the last couple of days trying to get it working again with no luck had it working for one day, then it dies again. So, had to reformat and install all the programs again, which I didn't do, only got the ones that I use the most and the rest as I need them when the time comes. This time I blocked that particular update after it installed the first time so I don't have to go through that again. So, needless to say, I didn't get anything done and hopefully, I will have something later tonight.

now with the replies

fishspawn: thanks I don't think I do the exageration intentionally, but I do notice I have a habit of making the chin protrude more than it should (among other things). I think I kind a found out why my rendering looks harsher on tone paper than on regular white paper. Because I'm laying the dark first and then adding the white after which in turn makes the dark look darker. What I tried to do on the last one is increase both tones slowly at the same time to make it more balanced.

Mr-Joe: I just started learning to paint a few weeks ago, but I have done a lot of research on techniques which I tried to apply to my paintings which seems to be working well at the moment with oil but not too well with acrylic (which I may be going about the wrong way).

Most of my full figure sketches that is standing up are pretty stiff, still having a hard time getting them to look dynamic. But working on it

I think the sloppiness is part of my mentality, I clean the ones that I have the intention of being more of a finished piece while my sketches and doodles aren't because in my mind, they aren't aimed at being pretty but its purpose is to give me an idea of what I wanted to see or know.

oma: the first page done with the overhead view? I'll be making those more as my figures drawing gets better. As for the white charcoal, yah, there officially is no such thing, but that is what they call it What you can use is white chalk pastel, it is basically the same thing, or regular chalk. You would have to experiment with them to see which you perfer.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep 'em coming dude, all this is looking better and better...looks like all the rust is slowly falling off..for some reason i really like the first sketch in post 380...keep the sketches coming, ya know i love mosters

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin the character work as of late. Really fun poses.
    I want to see a few of those more developed, like you do with the portraits.
    You seem to have a nice sense of anatomy and how to play around with positioning the figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good work... all I can offer as advice is to continue...

-Shawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're getting there. If I can say anything it would be focus more on form and shape rather than trying to draw details...in other words draw the appearance of something rather than drawing what it really is. See past the details and watch the bigger overall shapes then break them down into smaller parts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheGnoll: thanks hehe the rust may be falling off, but still need a lot of oil to get rid of the squeaks I'm not good at doing monsters yet, they look too much like a human but trying to awaken the imagination.

Max: thanks I lack the patience to do a full rendering of the human body, but yet I do when it comes to a portrait, don't ask me why, I have no clue. As for the anatomy, I really don't know that much, just enough to work with. Out of it all, I think I know the arm structure the most.

The Crazy Dude SRD: thanks

voodoochile: thanks will try to do that ...

-------------

After battling with the computer system for the last couple days, wasn't in much mood to do any in-depth studies. All I did was a bunch of quick doodles yah yah, I know it's not a good excuse.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by Lee W; November 21st, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! You dedication and hard work are really inspiring! Love the way you work with figures - gestures are looking very expressive and believable. All that stuff from mind is looking really good, I wish I could do things like this without ref. Keep on going, you`re doing just fine!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ulver: thanks

------------------

had to do a portrait, well, part of one anyhow (reason being I messed up)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much improvement! Sorry I haven't stopped by earlier. I love that oil painting, can't wait to see more of those.

What sort of stuff are you interested in with your art? Where do you want to take it? It'd be cool to see some ideas or a project!

Keep up the work, its paying off for sure =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damnz, i really have to buy me some white pastels, and some colored paper.

i love those drawings with white in it!

these doodles you made, that second page looks great. love to see some oils again . yes today is oils day for me ^^.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aph: thanks Well, my goal is to be able to draw and paint as close to realism as possible. not sure where I want to take it yet, will see what I can accomplish within this coming year. But as what has been shown so far, I think my skills point to portraits. But trying to re-awaken the imagination to see if concept art would be a possible option.

oma: oh, white conte might actually be better suited than white chalk pastel. There are a few options to experiment with such as prismacolor, conte, pastel, and chalk (probably more but can't think of them right now). I'm sure when you visit the art store, you will see the white charcoal in the charcoal section.

-----------------

well, experimented with General's chalk pastel pencils and found out that the light does not go over the dark too well, maybe I'm not using the right kind of paper started this but didn't get very far, just did the arm. Any advice how to use these chalk pastel pencils will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: added another little experiment

Last edited by Lee W; November 22nd, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, you did draw some still lifes .Don't have advice for pastels -I haven't used any.But I thought sometimes your girl portraits should have less prominent jaw.
    Cheers,M.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heartbeat: yep, I did some sketches of objects but as I am sure you can tell, I didn't spend too much time on them As for the girl portraits with prominent jaws, I didn't have the intention of doing that when I start, but ends up that way even when I am trying not to do it guess I just have a thing for prominent jaws

-------------------

okay, the pastel experiments are getting really ugly really fast (especially when I have no clue as to what I am doing). I am really embarrassed to post this but good or bad, everything gets posted ... I should really amend that stupid declaration I made.

looks more like a really bad charcoal piece now, but its pastel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jow, hi there again .

just take your time, and the pastels will also looks wonderfull!
    i like how you rendered the face with the pastels. just give him some hair and he will look even better.

how is the portrait of angelina jolie evolving ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oma: I hope the pastel will look better with a couple more experiments The oil painting of Angelina Jolie hasn't been worked on since I did the initial underpainting. Had computer problems and that needed to be addressed first, will probably work on it some next week.

----------

anyhow, not gonna end the night with the crappy pastel experiments ... here is another one of my much seen charcoal sketches

Last edited by Lee W; November 22nd, 2006 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like that last charcoal what you did . looks cool. like allway's :d.

is it an sp?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks oma noooo that isn't a sp I'm an asian male.

some early morning doodles

Last edited by Lee W; November 23rd, 2006 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man you're really keeping the thread up, and thats great.The experiments are just experiments, they are just for yourself to improve, so just keep doing them...its normal they don't look as you'd like to in the beginning...so keep at it!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHAHAHAHA, what a lame ass question . is it a SP . LOL.

you are just possessed by girls like almost all men
    hehe.

but i think that first page is the best page of you early morning doodle pages .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheGnoll: thanks will do

oma: well, I do like girls but its not the reason why I do almost all women portraits though I do rather do women portraits over men One of my difficulties is drawing and rendering a female face (making it roundish rather than angular and the soft blending of the tones). Males faces doesn't need that roundish treatment and the skin tones doesn't need a really smooth blending. When I doodle, the figures are usually masculine in nature.

------------------------

some doodles from this afternoon before the family gathering (I would rather be sketching) so didn't have the time to do any real studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can never keep up with this thread, so much hard work and improvement.
    One thing I notice is the lines are kinda feathery. SLow down and get them right, and your drawings will pop a lot more.
    The portraits are looking really good, but I would like to see you drawing from life more, you really get a better handle on line, rendering and form.
    keep working bro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really improving fast! Great linework on your "demon creature" lol.

Two hints:

1. If you're still having problems with shakey hands during painting, use a mahl stick.

2. Skin tones in oil painting: have a look at this http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...=383090&page=2 it might help you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait wait.. thats.. charcoal?? http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1164247022

damn it looks like graphite to me. not messy, very light tones. and it looks very pleasing and reads like.. like ahh uhh.. ah book. I see progress coming up, you`re onto something. the arm you rendered, and this one, seems like something is about the click into place.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1164352887

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blanquish: thanks will try to force myself to draw more from life.

term8or: thanks

Banshax: thanks yep that is charcoal, most of the portraits are done with charcoal, I should mention that its charcoal pencils and not vine charcoal

-----------

managed to get a little doodle in and it will probably be a good couple of days before any more will be posted cuz I'll be helping my sister move. I think maybe be back Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the charcoal portraits are getting better and better! Maybe try painting them instead?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    indeed your charcoal really are rocking!

like those 2 the most of your latest doodles.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1164352901
    and http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1164352887

post some of your oils again .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lefran: thanks There is a couple of painted portraits somewhere in my thread. And I got one in progress since last week (which I haven't worked on after finishing the underpainting) and the way it looks now, I probably won't be able to get around to it until near the end of the week

oma: thanks I should start doing something with all those doodles

-------------

Okay, everyone went out so it gave me a few hours to do a long study. Charcoal again, what else

Last edited by Lee W; November 26th, 2006 at 12:30 AM.

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.