Sketchbook: Lee's sketchbook - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like everyone else is saying your making good progress with your paintings. You sure have done a fair bit of work since I was looked too well compared to me that for sure, your portrait always have such good detail to the eye I find it quite hard to get that detail look that your get.

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    term8or: thanks that first suggestion sounds like a good idea, gonna try it out. I try to do an underpainting with raw umber but somehow I mess up when applying the colors. Either the glaze isn't translucent enough in acrylics or in the case of oils, the underpainting wasn't completely dried yet

Fellah: wow, I'm honored having you leave a comment in my sb and thanks. hehe, that portrait is very familiar huh?

Flake: thanks yah I like the slower drying time better, I can actually blend the edges., but I got to remember to let it dry before I can apply another layer.

EKU_11: thanks hehe, I try to do at least one thing a day, but it's hard, some days I just don't have any motivation. I'm not sure if I read if or dreamed it, but whenever someone views a portrait, the eyes are the first thing they look at. So I try to make the eyes as convincing as I can yet simple to create.

just a couple of random crappy doodles (no refs) this time crappy paintings will be on another day.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNoobie
    Flake: thanks yah I like the slower drying time better, I can actually blend the edges., but I got to remember to let it dry before I can apply another layer.
    It's probably stating the obvious, but most oil painters work on at least two or three pics at the same time, minimal waiting times and it gives you a nice sort of perspective on stuff that you did (many) weeks ago.

It's no longer your "greatest awesome pic", it's just that shit you did last week so it doesn't matter if you destroy it totally. Get what I mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice charcoals, I love those white highlights on the neutral toned paper... your drawings are lovely, but so many females of the same body type!! You should switch it up a little, its kinda fun to draw really curvy contours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great as usual mate, keep it up!

Nice oils. Love your charcoal sketches too - the highlights really add to them. Don't be afraid to play around with skin tones... go wild with them while attempting to keep them as a whole value-wise. Don't take this as patronizing or anything, I'm just not very good at being helpful

I have no idea of what I'm talking about but keep this up! Looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the first oil painting - I know the colours are 'wrong' but they look great anyway.

My sketches (such as they are)

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75440

and while you're at it, why not visit:

oldnoobie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flake: I'm sure most oil painters work on more than one at a time, considering it takes days for a layer to be dry enough to add another layer. At this point for me, every new painting is a hit or miss kinda situation it can either look decent or it is a complete waste of time and effort. That first one when I posted it, I did it all at one day. But I made some slight adjustments since (and still look like bah) and waiting for it to dry.

Jska: thanks .. hehe, the female bodies, well, can't help it almost all fashion ads feature females with that type of body besides, they are easier on the eyes

Spats: thanks I am going wild with the skin tones (cuz I can't mix the correct ones but don't tell anyone)

gigglepixie: thanks what a buddy, stroke my ego even when I screwed it up badly

haven't done really anything, I did this quick sketch just to post with my replies yah I know, it looks kinda funny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The acrylics are definitely getting better, and I liked the feeling on the oil painting the best by far. Although I do agree with Jska, I would like to see a charcoal of a heavyset old woman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Your portraits are improving so fast! You make the wrinkles and teeth on a face seem so natural. I can never do that...
    On your last portrait, it looks funny because one eye is higher than the other. do you do preliminary lines before drawing in the facial featuers? If not you should start. It really helps a lot with proportions.
    Your acrylics are spectacular. I'm starting on acrylics soon too so it's really exciting to see yours. Go for a more ambitious piece next time!

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." --Mark Twain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flake: I'm sure most oil painters work on more than one at a time, considering it takes days for a layer to be dry enough to add another layer.
    It shouldn't take days for paint to dry, if you paint thin (like, the thickness you'd paint with house emulsion, or thinner) and put maybe 1-2 drops of liquin in your white.

Also, what white are you using? Zinc white is a slow drying pigment, better to use flake white or neutral white.

Finally, check what drying oil your paint contains. You really want linseed oil for an underpainting. Stand oil, Safflower and Poppy seed oil all take much longer to dry - better for direct painting and top layers.

http://painting.about.com/od/oilpain...ryingtimes.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Were do you get the inspiration for your portraits are they of the top of your head or from magazines and things like that. Like the random doodles with no refs pretty good to see you putting that theory of yours in practice’s for someone that might forget dur to old age.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the studies from reference you are producing are really starting to step your game up, great effort being shown, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    max xiantu: thanks learning to paint isn't easy it takes a lot of work, time and effort. As for a charcoal sketch of a heavyset old woman, I'll see what images I can found on the net. Maybe will have one later tonight or tomorrow (key word here: maybe)

Bald Muffin: thanks rendering those teeth took a while to do and still don't look quite right they're hard. Actually, that last sketch, they eye on the far side of the face is not only too low, its also too small. Yah, everything is lightly sketched before actually keeping it there. I found that sometimes a light sketch may look correct would actually come out incorrect when darkened. Acrylics are great cuz they dry so fast but that could present a problem if a hard edge is not wanted, but i suppose that can depend of the type of surface that it is painted on.

Term8or: I don't know, I checked the painting and it's still isn't completely dry to the touch yet. It might be the cheap oils I am using to learn and that I'm using canvas paper right now. I use refined linseed oil to thin the paint, maybe a little bit of turpenoid if a lot of linseed oil is used. The white I am using right now is titanium white.

EKU_11: Where I get the inspiration? hmm I don't know, all I know is that I have always been fascinated with the human facial structure. Every face shares the same basic structure yet no two faces are exactly alike, not even identical twins, there are always some differences if the time is taken to observe. Most of the portraits I have done are from magazine ads and images from the net. My anatomy knowledge sucks, I only know the basic muscles, mechanics and structure. I really need and should spend more time studying anatomy among other things that I'm not inspired to do.

DannySketch: thanks

an unfinished quickie sketch to go with the replies

Last edited by Lee W; October 26th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a quick sketch of an elderly woman ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Term8or: I don't know, I checked the painting and it's still isn't completely dry to the touch yet. It might be the cheap oils I am using to learn and that I'm using canvas paper right now. I use refined linseed oil to thin the paint, maybe a little bit of turpenoid if a lot of linseed oil is used. The white I am using right now is titanium white.
    It sounds like you might be adding a tad too much linseed oil, or maybe you just paint quite thickly. No big deal, it'll just take a bit longer to dry.

btw, you realise that oils will go over acrylics quite nicely? If you wanted to you could knock in the underpainting in acrylics then go back in and soften edges etc with oil. Just a thought.

Like the latest sketches btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey oldnoobie.. your portraits are realy imroving, looks good so far, i canīt give you any tips but practice

but donīt forget to draw full body views too, it is important to find the right way to place the head on the body

ok so long.

hope you keep this sb up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flake: well I do use quite a bit of linseed oil ... though I use only turpenoid for the under painting and that dries pretty quickly. yep, I know that oil can be used over acrylics

Haxxxor: thanks hehe, yah I need to do more full body view sketches

okay, here is the oil painting again with the adjustments and used the scanner this time even though its not completely dried. Got a bit of paint on the scanner glass but not too hard to wipe up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always like faces for the same reason but felt in would be better to get improve my anatomy studies and all that so that my skills would become a big more all-rounder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yah i really should do more studies on stuff other than portraits ..

really small update

return of the water drop in acrylic ... think I got the colors right this time I hope

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just some gesture doodles (6b charcoal on kraft paper) no refs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great gestures.. the arms might be a bit long.. but really great... I esp like the foreshortening in 8th one....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old Noobie!

You may be old, but you are far less of a noobie than when you started this SB. Great work. Those last gestures are really nice- especially from no ref. Some proportion flaws, but that will come with time. Keep drawing, and please keep posting.

-Andrew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks glikster and Waffle_King yah i realize that some of the proportions are off, I didn't want to fuss around too much with it or it would have been more than a gesture sketch just wanted to spend a few minutes on each.

a quck charcoal sketch that didn't come out too good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more doodles

first three done with ultra fine sharpie and last one with soft carbon pencil (no refs)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard to keep up with your posting! Those arms are nice looking. Accurate enough in a very dynamic way. I especially like the upper right one with the elbow focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these are great. Good energy, and the hands and arms are really nicely handled. Keep it up duder =)

btw. that charcoal sketch was nice imo !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey!
    these last gestures are really looking good, especially the male ones,why don't you mix different medium while doing them, and maybe add some highlights.You've already improved a lot since the beginning of the topic...why don't you try to change subjects too?
    this sketchbook is looking good, keep 'em coming!

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi your ligting sense is good but you ampliy the strokes and forms control or ask your hand to listen the inner .........

try to concentrate on drawing than on shading and lighting,

if the drawing is good then there is no need for painting.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey been checkin you out. Glad your doing this. Hmmm I thought I was old starting to recapture my drawing skills. Glad your doing this.

It'd be cool to see page 25 of your progress!

----------------------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80906

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frumious Me and aph: thanks

TheGnoll: thanks just started learning color soooo mixing different medium might take a little longer hmmm maybe I try a different subject for next post, don't know what yet though

dhilipsomesh: thanks I used to do only line drawings, trying to learn to show structure through light and shadows right now. I understand what you are saying in that the underlying line drawing needs to be good.

Bard: thanks hopefully I can get to page 25

haven't done anything practically for the last two days, finally did something and no surprise here another charcoal sketch

thanks to a CA member for her picture to use as a ref

Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.