Sketchbook: A Turkey's Sketchbook (upd. Sept 16)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Turkey's Sketchbook (upd. Sept 16)

I need to draw way more, and starting this sketchbook will hopefully motivate me to keep producing stuff for whoever reads/looks at this. Right now I'm at about one or two art-related things a week, which is not much for someone who is just starting art school in a few days.

Hopefully I get a decent response!

I even did a brand-new drawing as a "cover" for this sketchbook! See, I'm trying!

And few sketches/paintings

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dindon; September 16th, 2006 at 04:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, if you're going to art school, get ready to make art for most of the hours you are awake. And if your school doesn't require you to make art almost every waking hour, do it anyway.

Want to join me in doing a painting-a-day? It's a great way to whip yourself into action.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Yup, if you're going to art school, get ready to make art for most of the hours you are awake. And if your school doesn't require you to make art almost every waking hour, do it anyway.

Want to join me in doing a painting-a-day? It's a great way to whip yourself into action.
    I would like to, but unfortunately I have no paint right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! Okay, you could make it a drawing-a-day, or a sculpture-a-day, or whatever suits your fancy. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the windmill. What school are you going to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodstone
    I really like the windmill. What school are you going to?
    Thanks! I'm going to the Alberta College of Art and Design.

Some more older pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dindon
    thanks for your comment in my book.
    Keep plugging away at yours, good to see you doing studies. They can be tedious but will get you ahead.

You're going to ACAD? What program you in? just curious what you think of the place. I'm in Edmonton.

Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D
    Hey Dindon
    thanks for your comment in my book.
    Keep plugging away at yours, good to see you doing studies. They can be tedious but will get you ahead.

You're going to ACAD? What program you in? just curious what you think of the place. I'm in Edmonton.

Craig
    I can't tell you much from experience really, since I'm just starting first year studies. I hope to get into design after that.

I've heard people say that the school is more hands-on and less lecture-y than others. There's one lecture hall for stuff like art history and whatnot. The rest appear to be devoted to the various fine arts and design courses. Class sizes for the studio courses are about 20. If you take a look at their site, you would find more info than I could ever give at the moment

Sorry I'm not of much help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff. Ignore the stuff at the top of the first page...

The studies are referenced from "Drawing the Head and Figure"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some random DSG-inspired drawings.

Yes I know the anatomy is off.

A meying prantis. The shading is messed, Most of the graphite rubbed off on the other page when the book was closed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there dindon!

Thanks for dropping by my book. You have some very solid stuff in here and those studies are looking good. I'm sorry if I can't offer any proper crits!

Anyway, keep drawing mate!

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dindon. I am starting at ACAD this year aswell. Its cool to see someone from CA.org will be starting there aswell. I have heard very good things about this school but I guess well find out tuesday. I am living over at the Sait res right now. Where are you staying at ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_wraith
    Hey Dindon. I am starting at ACAD this year aswell. Its cool to see someone from CA.org will be starting there aswell. I have heard very good things about this school but I guess well find out tuesday. I am living over at the Sait res right now. Where are you staying at ?
    Nice to meet ya! Fortunately my parents don't seem to want to kick me out yet, so I am living at home. I live in the NW.

I really hope I can make it on tuesday, I haven't been going to bed as early as I should...

Spats - Thanks for taking a look! I appreciate the comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More

Referenced from "Draw the Head and Figure"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, the last flower looks really good, I can't paint for shit, so I'm quite impressed I dig the lines in the windmill too. Perspective is looking good!
    You seem to be in a bit earlier stage, remember to do lots of life studies, bring your sketchbook all over and draw peeps and buildings. Helps a lot!

Tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Hi DINDON, thanks a million for your comments..... I like your water-colour style. It looks very very effective & quite nice rendered. I know an water-colour is very difficult to use. But your water-colour stuff are pretty good..... Keep posting & goodluck man..... STAY COOL .....

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A good variety of work here. Keep widening it.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    allright you turky, I'm going to sound like an old monkey here. something you must do is bring a sketchbook with you all ways and draw every time your hands are free draw whats in front of you or from your imagination. if your at a party draw people their. if your eating breakfast draw with one hand eat with the other. draw in toilet paper when your sitting on the pot. if your waiting for your next class draw. draw before you go to bed. be shameless just don't stop drawing. If art is what you choose in your life it can be very rewarding but you have to love it. if you want to be great you must be married to it. never say I'm going to art school they're going to teach me to draw. they'll teach you some stuff but 90 percent comes from how much you practice on your own. Just remember two things you can become better than anyone but you have to practice, and there's no cap on how good you can get.

go-team-go!

peace, dave

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dindon, looking through your book that flower popped out. Nice job. Otherwise it would be nice to see more depth in the shading, especially in the environments, and work on your line weights. It would make your drawings jump more from the page.
    Nice to see the facial studies, as Dave said, keep on practicing.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dindon, looking through your book that flower popped out. Nice job. Otherwise it would be nice to see more depth in the shading, especially in the environments, and work on your line weights. It would make your drawings jump more from the page.
    Nice to see the facial studies, as Dave said, keep on practicing.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. This has definitely motivated me to draw more.

Tigermilk Thank you. I must say that the paintings I do are with my friend's mom, who is a private art teacher. She gives a lot of crit as well as teaches me technical stuff about painting, so I owe a lot to her. I will draw in my book when I have spare time, like lunch or whatever.

Mag-Neo Also thanks There's a balance that's hard to get to in watercolor. A bit too much water and everything is messed up. Too little, and it just sits there and does nothing. It's fun though!

Listing For sure! I try to keep my mind open as to what subjects to draw. Thanks for the comment!

dave You make very good points. I will draw more, I swear to you!!!

Kitiker Thanks for the crit. I'm not exactly sure how to apply the idea of line weights... To shaded areas, or curves, etc?

And now for more sketches. Referenced from Drawing the Head and Figure, as always.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo! Thanks for dropping by my sb. Those last figures are rocking, do more of them. I also like your paintings. I would say work more on putting those facial features together, and work on facial expressions. Keep up the hard work, you're imrpoving already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    studies looking good, keep it up ... nice flower too

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely flower there Watercolours, right? They're a bitch. I hate them.

Anyway, them studies are looking pretty good. I think you need to work on your line weight, though. That's all I can say for now.

Keep postin'!

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice

How's school so far?

SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. Can anyone be clearer on the line weight issue? Which drawings are especially guilty of having poor line weights? How do I go about this? Basically the only way is to lose pressure on the pencil and let it fade, correct? If I press very hard, the dark, thick line becomes entrenched in the paper, and is no longer easy to manipulate. It looks heavy and cumbersome. I don't think this is very good for sketches.

Anyway, about school. It's been pretty busy, I have classes from 9-5 basically. Been running around getting supplies... Still need to get more! The last week was just course outlines and whatnot, so I'll be getting into the meat of it this week.

Anyway here some pages from a week ago. The second one hasn't really been "filled" yet. I did a page with stick figure poses and such but it's pretty bad, so no one gets to see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...dialup...so typing this based on the images that have loaded ...basically Line Weight is both the 'darkness' and the width of a given line...heavier lines are wider and darker, lighter lines are thinner and lighter.

From what I can tell there are 2 major ways to decide on line weight: Light/Shadow, or "Weight".

for the Light/Shadow thing, lines are heavier in areas with shadows, thinner in areas with highlights, and in-between elsewhere.

for the 'weight' thing, lines are heavier at the bottoms/weighted down areas of the object, while thinner on the lighter more airy parts (ie heavy lines at the soles of the feet, but light lines on the tops of the shoulders and in the hair).

Several ways to achieve line weight, the most obvious is pressing harder with your tool, another is widening the line either through making lines following the original line, or tilting your drawing tool (A normal pencil can act much like a paint brush in that respect, and since you seem to have a painting background - that may be a helpful way to approach line weight from). you can also go back over the 'heavier areas' with a darker pencil (ie sketch lightly with a 2b, go back in with a 6b to extablish the weighted areas of line).

The main issue people may be seeing is the addressing of lines in a very 'uniform manner' - ie all lines are the same width, and darkness for the most part - a way to use this to your advantage would be to force yourself to make the lines lighter, then go back and establish the image with value making the lines inconsequential for the most part.

The major issue I'm noticing is a 'stiffness' (although it's getting better, I can still feel it a bit) - step up on the gesture drawings and it should help you loosen up the figures a bit more (or even just do gestures as a warmup prior to doing serious drawings).

You have a very good eye for referenced imagery, however the 'from imagination' works are a little less strong (as is normal for everyone imo). Remember to slow down when working on a referenced image, and think to yourself "Why does it look this way?" - is it a bone, a muscle, the lighting, some physical oddity about the source (suprising how often that one occurs), etc.

I personally didn't like the Jack Hamm book (Drawing the head and figure), but it looks like you're getting some use out of it. You may want to hunt around on these forums for links to the Loomis books online - I think you'd find a wealth of useful information in them to help you get to the next level.

A trick I use when there is no physical model to work from for figure gestures btw, is to use the Windows XP Screensaver "My Picture Slideshow" and set the time at about 2 minutes between images, and point it at a folder of some figure reference photos I had stored up beforehand. Then you have a new pose ever 2 minutes to do a gesture from, and don't have to go hunting for another image or stop stride at all.

Anywho...very good works from what I can tell, stay diligent and you'll go far fast I think - you have some talent that you can use to your advantage (meaning you seem to pick up on things quickly concerning art).

Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff. i really like the watercolor of the lily or whatever. it's really well done. i have a lot of respect for people who can watercolor. keep it up.
    -az

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my first drawing for drawing class. I think it looks pretty good, but when I put it up on the "critique" wall and compared to the others, it looked really washed out. I have to keep in mind to really lay on the darks next time.

Last edited by dindon; September 17th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things are a little off in the latest picture, but overall good job (things that feel off are his eye positions, a few of the wrinkles, and his nose length). It feels like you got parts correct, and they're just being thrown off by a few minor problems.

Was that from a photograph if you don't mind me asking?

(sidenote - you may want to invest in an ebony pencil...makes it easy to lay in those 'dark darks' on graphite drawings).

Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1