Sketchbook: Kittay's happy happy fun time sketches

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kittay's happy happy fun time sketches

I beg of you.. Critique ;.;
    Oke SOO it's my first time starting a thread on here and I'm abit nervous. But I'd LOVE for everyone to be as harsh as possible in their critiques. I'm 13 and I've taken 5 years worth of art classes, outside of school, of course. (But I honestly don't think they helped all that much.) Anyways WELCOME and please critique.
    And bear with me alot of it's going to be in progress work. I'll update gradually..

Last edited by Kittay; August 26th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The heads are all too similar, the same nose is repeated often. It's possible to make that work, but then the character and individuality has to be portrayed with clothing and hair. Don't try to show hair with individual lines, instead stress the shape and use a general value to "color" it in. For example you could emphasize the bell shape of Suzycharm's hair, or the ovalness of Keri's. For the bandaid nippled characters, individualy they work, they've got a funky look, but as a group the rhythms of the lines aren't grouping them together. The poster for that play "Wicked", I think was the name, is a good example of composing in such a way. And with that last head, basically work on line quality. An easy way to improve line quality is after you've sketched in your drawing, go over it again with a liquid type pen(either something like a Pilot or fountainpen, something where the line value can't be varied) then go over it in one line, there's more to it than that but it's a start.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, buddy, all those drawing are very much stilized and actually they look more like caricature. which is fine. I like the funny idea of different personalities on the second page, empty as air balloon or explosive as vulcano, very nice and funny. The figures are drawn in certain funny way too, but it is OK, it is caricature after all. Your lines are very cautious though, slow and not free from restrains, so I guess doodling more will be handy .
    Faces are built with constraints too, construction lines are there, although I'm not sure what they are for if you just trying some different types of faces, just for fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Armando on the heads, just a bit too similar with the same nose repeated too often. Comet's hair works the best in that group because of the fact that she has more shape and doesn't look like she has a thinning hairline. Good on the eyes, they may be animeish but you show nice expression there. I really like how stylized the bodies on the second page are but their proportions are all over the place. One arm is longer than the other on the same figure, the third figure's body is twisted but the arms are situated as if she is looking straight ahead and so on. The last pic is essential the same as the first page in the hair structure. If you use a pen pay a lot of attention to your line weight as this will do a lot for a pic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah, thanks. I never actually thought I'd get this much of a reply or this much helpful critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I'm REALLY having a problem with though IS the stylized thing. I'm lost in so many other artists' styles that I can't get out my own visions clearly and my creativity kind of BURSTS into a billion flames and dies. >.>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad scan.. (I'm not too good at colouring so feel free to give me some tips on that.)

And this one is pretty old and stilized, but I guess I like it better then alot of my stuff. There are alot of anatomy problems I know.

So.. I've been trying to work on my characters like in the first image I emphasized the shape instead of the texture and just did it with color. There are still alot of problems but I'm working on it. For about 2 more months I'm most likely going to be working on stilized stuff, because I have an Anime con coming up that I'm artist alleying for. It's a big step, especially when I'm not exactly ready, but it'll be a good learning experience. SO I have to do stilized crap without going into the way too anime thing, which I refuse to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kittay

Looks like you've got a nice start going here.

One suggestion I have is to not get into the habit of drawing everything from the same, straight forward angle. I think when that happens you're just training your brain to memorize how to draw something at that angle, and you're not really learning how the body itself is constructed. Trust me, it's a hard habit to break

It's hard to judge anything right now since there's not a whole lot of work to see here, though. Post more soon

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definately will post more soon. And I agree with that there was a period (Like now that I'm getting into AGAIN.) Where I could only draw heads facing to the right. I was completely baffled how to actually get it to straight forward. But thanks for the warning, I'll work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In terms of style - if you draw realistically without concentrating on style at all, personal style will develop on its own.

your figures aren't too bad - but some drawn directly from life would help your art more than you think.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.