Sketchbook: Sketchbook Reboot (aka time to haul butt)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook Reboot (aka time to haul butt)

I was looking for an online source to put my work up besides Deviantart when I remembered my account on here. I tried participating in some of the community events and such but I found it was getting in the way of my work for school at the time so I put up this account for awhile.

Anyhow, I've decided to reboot my sketchbook on here! I changed my major at school from Animation to Illustration, so I've been trying to work on getting my illustrator/rendering half back in action to catch up with my peers.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SArch; July 21st, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

School Things

Starting with work I did during school (circa May, mostly).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recent work

An excerpt summer sketchbook work. Many of the figures are referenced from the stock photos on characterdesign.org. I am very embarrassed to say that I don't have a scanner, so I apologize for the low quality of these photos.

I also attached the first two steps of a digital character study I started today. I find digital media so intimidating to work with. I can draw things fine on paper but then I freeze up when I have a wacom stylus in my hand. This drawing isn't terrifying me as much as usual though. I guess that's a step in the right direction...

Last edited by SArch; July 21st, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7/22/10

Got some silhouette studies, which I'm hoping to do more of, progress on my character from yesterday's post and a photo reffed painting that was supposed to be a speed painting but is taking an silly length time to finish.

Original photo to the reffed painting is here: http://i31.tinypic.com/21emut.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some drawings from the last couple of days or so!

1. development of a shape/silhouette study from my last post. not pleased with the bottom half of the shape. going to probably paint over it or something
    2. facebook grafitti program time! took about an hour, I think. Want to go back and render it further eventually.
    3. quick self portrait in my new little sketchbook. am in love with toned paper.
    4. character sketches. nothing too special but I like working with the solid black shapes. I guess it's kind of aubrey beardsley with the black forms without the japonism of the figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook! I was actually in the art supply store recently, toying around with the idea of getting a toned sketchbook. Urgh, now you make me wish that I had.

Facebook grafitti program? Oi, I need to spend more time over there. Never heard of it before.

I find digital media so intimidating to work with. I can draw things fine on paper but then I freeze up when I have a wacom stylus in my hand.
    I had the same issue when I first bought my Genius tablet. I think practice and time helps a lot with the adjustment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Racquel, thank you for the kind comment. I totally recommend picking up some toned paper. It's not only fun to work with but I find it helps me pay more attention to my middle tones. And, yup, Facebook graffiti. It's such a pain to use but the limits the program has is a good challenge too.

Anyway, I have a small update. First I have proportion refs copied from Loomis, which was an assignment from my mentor, zwarrior.

I also have a devil design, which I did for the daily sketch group but I decided I didn't like it enough to post it in the thread over there. I'm honestly not really happy with it--it was one of those things that started off okay and got worse as it went on. I think I'm gonna rework his bottom half to make him less heavyweight in fat and more wrestler style heavyweight, and shift his hooves too, cause they're pretty horrendous right now. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

needs less estrogen

Got a small update coming here:

*A quick doodle of my character, Karen. I'm still working out her features and stuff but I imagine her to be really small/frail. Can't wait to start working on my illustrations with her. I have a bunch of thumbnails in one of my sketchbooks that feature her that need to be roughed out.

*Another Facebook graffiti program doodle. I probably shouldn't even be posting it here because it was for some contest, but I really like it too much. Had text that served as texture to break up the white in the bg but it got eaten in the download process.

*Speed painting of random sci-fi girl.

*In progress Figure study that is turning into a character study apparently. Reference is from here.

I really need to stop drawing females in my sketchbook for awhile I think. They're too easy given my really loose/curve-ridden drawing style. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice imagination work And good to see the studies, nice SB so far

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great start in your sketchbook. Ide like to see you spend some substantial time doing orthographic pencil drawings to tighten up on those foundational hand skills.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Color Wheels (Mentor assignment)

Making a separate post for my color wheels for zwarrior. One is acrylics and one is watercolors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Personal sketchbook! (update as of 8/8/2010)

Colorexcursion, thanks for the encouragement! I will most certainly keep doing more studies.

lolbbq, thanks for the study suggestion. I'm definitely going to take your advice and do some orthographic drawings for my next sketchbook update. Anything to improve my pencil work.

And now, my updates. I'm happy to say I FINALLY finished my sketchbook from my character design class at school last semester, so some of the better drawings from there are being uploaded.

I also have some character designs for fun, because it's been awhile since I have drawn just characters that focused on their clothes/design. Also have some studies from reference. Never can have enough of those. I got some PDFs of Hogarth's anatomy book recently so hoping to do some studies from those as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Loomis Proportion assignment

Here's Loomis proportion refs for zwarrior, including the Female proportions and 30 additional drawings. I feel like I'm starting to get a better handle on proportions now, which is good because they got really out of whack last semester at school.

Last edited by SArch; August 17th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook update!

I wasn't near a laptop/internet for the last week, so I ended up doing a bit more traditional drawing and whatnot. I don't mind experimenting with digital and learning that medium but I will always love my ballpoint pen and my colored pencils the best. :]

I took lolbbq's advice and tried some orthographic drawings (that's the controller). Definitely going to do some more of those in the future. I feel like I'm getting some illustration ideas down too, so I'm thinking of pulling thumbnails from the fish picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis studies and studies from Senshi stock photos for zwarrior.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An assortment of personal stuff from the last week. I had the final week of an Illustration Survey class I was taking for school, so that ate some of my personal sketchbook time, but nonetheless, I fit some time in. In order, I have some Hogarth studies, another line drawing, promising thumbnails with my character Karen and other miscellaneous things, including one of the fishes I painted to go along with the fish from my last sketchbook update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More study-like updating

Lots more observational work this week, rather than conceptual type things (which I'm making a separate post in this thread for). I think I've needed to hunker down for a while and work on my basics anyway though. Also, I finished my first Moleskin. Don't know if I should be happy or depressed. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The imaginary half of my post. I think it's times like this that show how much better I am at using traditional medium vs. digital medium. I know I'll get better with practice and whatnot but it's just discouraging right now. Thankfully, I think I have some concepts I can run with in this pile of sketches outside of my project with my character Karen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ZWarrior Assignment 3.2

Here's (finally) another assignment for zwarrior. These along with my CA.org sketchbook updates are probably going to be less regular since my school semester just kicked off last week. I'm excited, but less time to be on here and whatnot.

Also, I have access to a scanner now. It's like manna after having to rely on my digi-cam for so long. Personal sketchbook update is imminent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Personal update yaaay

Here's my personal update, yaaay! I've been trying to experiment more lately with watercolors, so that's reflected in some of the stuff. I also have thumbnails and the rough sketch for an illustration for class that's going to be painted this week as well as artist sketches from Maxfield Parrish and Degas.

As for the plastellina sculpture, I don't ever claim to be a modeler/sculptor but it's been fun to work on when I'm stressed. I just have a lump of plastellina with the sculptor tools on the shelf next to my desk in my dorm and I plan to pull them out when other stuff is too overwhelming and I don't have it in me to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Schoolwork! (9/13-9/18)

Here's a small assortment of things I've been working on for class and whatnot. To give people an idea of what I am studying at the moment, I have a Fashion Design/Body Adornment class, two painting technique classes (one for perspective, composition/watercolors and one for opaque media) and German (yes, you read that right).

Ich bin gut, danke! Und Ihre?

Trying to keep up my personal sketchbooks outside of class as well and I signed up to participate in the Sketchbook Project through Art House. So far I'm studying basic stuff in class, but frankly, I'm okay with that (except maybe 1-point perspective, because even I can do that and I'm not too fabulous at perspective yet).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.