Sketchbook: Ostrander's Sketchbook of Shtuff - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the painting! I like that golden glow, it keeps it from getting dull and gray. I agree with (c), awesome reflection!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice picture
    The Worm rembember me Dune and the unripe state of the Giant Worms of Arrakis
    Keep it up
    ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta say your naked guy with the stereo speakers on his shoulders has to be the weirdest sketch i have seen in a long time! nice creativity though!

nick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW 60 entry

JoeHell- Thanks!
    olivertwist2- Lol, I'm not that good. I'm just trying to swim with the big fish. Thanks though!
    (c)- Thanks! I should have put more into it. it's really lacking that ooomph to take it to the next level. I definantly want to go back into it and see what if I can get it there...one day.
    spiffiness- Thanks spiffy, I'm glad you and (c) like the reflection, in all honesty that was probably the easiest part. I copy and pasted and exact dup of the image and then flipped it vertically. Then I erased bits and painted ripples and what not.
    Dreamworker- Thanks! And thanks for dropping by!
    incolorinred- Yeah, I don't know what to say about that one, it's pretty weird for my taste. It was a design concept for a miniature, so there was a good bit of art direction involved. Thanks for stopping by!

I whipped this one up for this weeks cow.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What can I say, but beautiful and creepy. Well done.

Please stop by my new Anatomy Sketchbook and critique the hell out of it.

"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."- Mario Andretti

My Blog (Cartoony stuff)

My Illustration Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here I really like your style Although some of the images might use a bit more contrast. Otherwise great work. Keep it up!

-Juhani

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those zombie troops are pure gold I love the COW too.

Great stuff, keep it up!

http://www.sakuhatakka.com/ - image portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    Here is what I did for this weeks COW, a homage', a pastiche of my favorite film.
    Name:  c61FIN.jpg
Views: 13651
Size:  308.7 KB
    Cheers,
    Glen

Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahah really nice painting reminds me of one of my t-shirts
    i will post a pic soon

SSG 33

-|Nyx|-|Ostrander|- |(c)|-|Machineabuse|-|Anthriel|-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A bunch of old COW's

Thanks (c)!
    I thought I'd dump all my COWS in here.

COW #1 Mascot
    Name:  cow mascot med.jpg
Views: 13438
Size:  380.5 KB

COW#2 Don't Touch That - Yattering Asian Skinch
    Name:  yas.jpg
Views: 19171
Size:  314.1 KB

COW#3 Anal Parasite - Anal Fish Noodler
    Name:  anal parasite fin.jpg
Views: 15120
Size:  329.6 KB
    Here we have an adult Malerondia Analicthys, better known as an Anal Fish Noodler.
    The Anal Fish Noodler can grow to 1-2cm from snout to tail barbs; they are common in a variety of barnyard animals from goats and sheep to pigs and cattle. Like many parasitic organisms, they feed off the hosts blood supply firmly imbedding itself in the hosts anal cavity. Here the Anal Fish Noodler burrows its snout into the fleshy walls and feasts unbeknownst to the victim. However, not as common in human beings their egg larvae are still transmitted via undercooked meat products from these farm animals. There have been several documented cases of children succumbing to the ill favored effects of these parasites through ingestion, some of the tell-tale signs of infestation are high fever with vomiting as well as gastric pains and anal weeping.
    It is very important to address the issue of infestation with a hot vinegar enema and an appropriate dose of Tylenol. Left untreated patients are susceptible to high anxiety, night sweats, fever blisters in the anus, horrendous anal itching and uncontrollable stools. Remember to always wash your hands and always cook your food thoroughly.

COW#4 Venomous Bird - Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel
    Name:  barbed night minstrel.jpg
Views: 12531
Size:  453.0 KB
    Common Name (preferred): Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel
    Scientific Name: Imperatorius Perpcacis Nocturnus Orphei
    Size (length, wingspan, & weight) Length—4.25" from tip of tail to tip of beak. Wingspan— 5.25" Weight—3.5 grams
    Habitat: From marshy coastal waters to lush farmland areas.
    Diet: Small insects, some flowering plants.

General Biology: A relatively recent species of bird, the Imperial Barbed Night Minstrel is commonly mistaken for some species of hummingbird as well as some of the larger species of moth. The Night Minstrel is a mostly nocturnal bird, feeding off of mosquitoes and other small nightime insects. It derives its name from its barbed feathers at the end of its tail and wingtips as well as its distinctive choir-like song. Known to be a venomous bird, of which only less than a half-dozen species are known to exist. It was once thought that it’s anal glands were the source of the toxin, however after recent findings have discovered that all species of this bird have an anal parasite which is in fact the source of the venom. The Malerondia Analicthys or Anal Fish Noodler, shares this symbiotic relationship with the Night Minstrel for the better of both species. The Night Minstrels “bodyguard” provides the protection while its host provides food and shelter. The venom secreted from the parasite weeps through the posterior of the bird from which the bird would rub the toxin with its beak down the length of its tail and wingtips. Being armed in flight now with the toxic venom at each extremity of its body the Night Minstrel can feed without the fear of being eaten by hungry predators. Any creature which ingests the venom will suffer severe neurotoxic shock and death.

Cow#5 Symbiotic Predator - Findilian Island Leviathan
    Name:  island leviathan.jpg
Views: 27320
Size:  414.1 KB
    The Findilian Island Leviathan is the oceans largest predator. The symbiotic relationship it shares with the Maggenorial Solar Worm is one of nature’s most highly successful acts of Mutualism.
    The Worms themselves are attached to the massive creature through a series of rock-like "bore tubes" in which the worms inject their pincer-like tails into the sea beast’s circulatory system. The shear mass of the leviathan is the result of the Solar Worms ability to absorb the suns rays and create a seemingly constant food supply for the Leviathan. The downside to this is that the worms do not store this energy for themselves, so in order for them to survive the Leviathan feeds on the oceans second largest sea creature, the Blue Whale. The high content of fat that is ingested from eating the whale is then passed on to the worms for survival.

COW#6 Digging Creature - The Rogue Island Flesh Digger
    Name:  flesh digger.jpg
Views: 11471
Size:  381.0 KB
    This creature is a rare Flesh Digger. It is only indeginous to Rogue Island and only lives off the blood of crusty sea faring Rogue Islanders. Heavy populations of these creatures live along the Scarborough coastline and can be easily transmitted over a gusty sea-breeze. Once attached to a fleshy Rogue Islander they "Dig" in past the epidermis and under the muscles to make their home. Here the Flesh Digger's lifespan lasts approximatly 48 hours, just enough time to add to the wonderful complexion of the Rogue Island natives.

Photoshop WIP
    Name:  flesh digger wip.jpg
Views: 11093
Size:  528.3 KB

COW#7 Lava Eating Creature - Magmahounds of the Ashen Plains
    Name:  magmahounds.jpg
Views: 11029
Size:  270.9 KB
    The Magmahounds scavange the barren Ashen Plains of the planet Noenazdak for fresh molten lavapools in which to fill their bellies. Tasty!

COW#11 Dream/Nightmare Eater - Dapadula
    Name:  eod.jpg
Views: 10463
Size:  457.6 KB
    Dapadula, the Eater of Dreams and Nightmares. A glutton for fresh images, ideas and emotions that occur during certain stages of one's sleep. Seen here perusing a menu for a tasty mind morsel of maybe a dreamy damsel or a terror filled adolescent in mid-slumber. I actually based this off of our Buyers Agent when my wife and I were buying our house at the time. His last name was Padula.

COW#12 Nocternal Predator - Humboltz Thresher
    Name:  Humboltz Thresher.jpg
Views: 12638
Size:  311.0 KB
    The Humboltz Thresher is one of nature's most deadly nocturnal predators. Using its superior sense of infra-spectra vision, the Humboltz can see a Zardanian micro rat 1500 yards away. It benefits from having large soft-padded paws for stealthy approaches, as well as providing superior traction when reaching speeds of near 60 miles an hour. At the ends of its paws are razor sharp claws, which are non-retractable and can shred flesh from bone instantly. The tail of the Humboltz is a most lethal appendage, it can slash and whip it's enemies and proves to be a great defense.

COW#15 Gluttonous Emporer - The Myranthereen Gluttonous Emperor
    Name:  ge-2a-flat.jpg
Views: 10055
Size:  352.7 KB
    The Myranthereen Gluttonous Emperor is a vile, putrid creature whose sole purpose in life is to gourge itself on the the dreams and nightmares of...doh!, wait a second that was already done...

Lemme start again... ahem... to feed nocturnally on the shadows produced by...venomous birds...wait...sirens? No!! Cloud Dwellers!!! WAIT!! Hmm... I give up. Lava creatures maybe? How about Crit Cows!! Yeah it feeds on the lack of critiques from the almighty Crit Cow!!!! Yeah, Yeah!!

WoooHooo! Thats why this thing is so fat, there's alot of lacking critiques running around for this thing to feast upon. This creature also gets the "Emperor" name from the boney structure that surrounds its mishapen head.
    The End.

COW#17 Hill Stomper - Wandering Perhamish Hill Stomper
    Name:  hstomper.jpg
Views: 9125
Size:  60.9 KB
    The race of Perhamish Hill Stomper's are a cheerful lot, most sleep lazily throughout any given day till starlight when they appear drunkenly wandering the hilly landscape to which they are so accustomed. They are awkward and clumsy in their gate which resembles that of a Bansailien toddler just learning to walk. These creatures are relatively harmless as long as you don't get caught in their unpredictable path.

COW#21 Freestyle - Crawling Klee-Chay
    Name:  The-Crawling-Cliche.jpg
Views: 9163
Size:  134.7 KB
    The Crawling Klee-Chay inhabits the dwindling but once fruitful land of Imajan Ascion. Feeding off of the post pubescent minds of the species known as the Seeyay Orgers. The creature’s appearance is so loathsome and revolting that the poor Orgers caught in its gaze are inflicted with an almost incomprehensible repetitious pattern of thought. This repetition of thought is just the beginning, as this psionic manipulation by the Klee-Chay's is in fact its complex digestive process in which the helpless victim's mind is devoured over several days, until nothing is left but a mindless Xombii.

COW#47 Three Eyed and Blue Fur - Glub-Ga-Mesh, the Beefeater
    Name:  cow-fin47.jpg
Views: 9074
Size:  363.3 KB
    Having traveled the far reaches of time and space in search of the most delectable bovines, Glub-Ga-Mesh is seen here in pursuit of it's favorite dish on the planet CA.ORG, The Mighty Crit Cow!! Yummy...

This one almost didn't make it to poll because I broke the "no characters" rule. Fozzy was kind enough to let me sqeek by.

That's all for now. I'll update with some sketches I have later on.

Last edited by Ostrander; March 25th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crazy stuff you have going on here, I really like #12! Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Spiffy!

Here's a couple pieces. The first image is from the 1st Last Man Standing Thunderdome. The Demon Prince.
    Name:  GloklundVSLoomer_TD.jpg
Views: 9757
Size:  457.2 KB

Needless to say I lost. But that's ok I was given the chance to come back as a
    replacement in the second bout with image number 2. The theme was "A man and a woman fighting high above a cityscape", or somethingrather.
    Name:  gloklundVShyver_TD.jpg
Views: 12476
Size:  340.0 KB
    This one lost too. Come to think of it I think I was the only one to lose the LMS Tdome twice... in a row! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

And here is my pic for the LMS2. The theme was "Welcome to the beginning of the end". This is what you get when you wait till the weekend before it's due and try and cram it in on top of freelance. Never advisable.
    Name:  gloklund_round1_match42.jpg
Views: 8506
Size:  252.3 KB
    I didn't make it to the next round with this and I don't blame them one bit. Pretty sucky.

Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah man! Why didn't that Demon Prince win? Do you have Loomers pic? I really like the compostion of that piece. I think the idea is what really shines not so much the execution.I really enjoy the first for COW’s (I can defiantly tell where you tried different processes). Your colors look so so much better in those. The 17th really looks like one of Pudnnheads concepts…Dang it, his website is down so I can’t show you the image…sorry.

Ah man! Why didn't that Demon Prince win? Do you have Loomers pic? I really like the composition of that piece. I think the idea is what really shines not so much the execution.

I do like the second piece but I can understand how it didn’t win, no offense. The woodcut style just doesn’t offer enough “visual bling” that others can produce with color. It does have it’s own benefits I just don’t think that voters would appreciate it.

Are those dark specs more dead bison lying across that field? That’s pretty awesome/cruel to shove in the face of the Native Americans…You said yourself how you feel about it, I don’t have to make you feel worse about it.

Last edited by Nyx702; September 30th, 2006 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx702
    Do you have Loomers pic?
    I think he has it up on his website here
    Nothing but love for the guy, he's a very talented artist and a generous person.

I do like the second piece but I can understand how it didn’t win, no offense. The woodcut style just doesn’t offer enough “visual bling” that others can produce with color. It does have it’s own benefits I just don’t think that voters would appreciate it.
    No argument there thats for sure.

Are those dark specs more dead bison lying across that field? That’s pretty awesome/cruel to shove in the face of the Native Americans…You said yourself how you feel about it, I don’t have to make you feel worse about it.
    Yeah those were supposed to be all the slaughtered buffalo and in the distance, where the smoke is rising, the white man's buffalo slaughter camp. It wasn't really my intent to "shove" in the face of Native Americans. I wanted to put some thought into the theme "Begining of the End" and I knew there was gonna be a slew of sci-fi, fantasy stuff. So I wanted to take something from history and base my painting on that. The two Indians in the foreground are witnessing the beginning of the end of their world. The thng I was most disappointed with was having not finished it and doing it proper justice. I'll definantley go back into it though and get it to where it needs to be. And after all the smack talk did in the Tdome thread too. Damn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Petter- Thanks man!

Here's the crazyness that is this weeks 3CH.
    This weeks topic was "a fish in front of a metal structure"

So I did a quick doodle that was pretty obvious for the topic...

Name:  Untitled-3ch.jpg
Views: 8341
Size:  70.9 KB

chaosrocks and I were poking a bit of fun at each other throughout the round about participating and being clever...
    Then in photoshop I added some value to what I had done from the doodle.

Name:  3chprevw.jpg
Views: 8508
Size:  240.4 KB

And trying to be clever(er) I found chaos' pic from the "what does everyone look like" thread and made her into a robot (metal structure) that's getting ready to eat a fish(in front of). And the fish's thought is wishing it was a great white shark getting ready to eat someone just as helpless.

Name:  3chfin.jpg
Views: 17559
Size:  186.9 KB

Anyways, for those who don't know about this great activity, I recommend going over here to give it a go. The different takes on the topics are as vast as your own imagination.

Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some paint chat doodles. Figured I'd throw them in here.

Franky
    Name:  frankie1.jpg
Views: 7999
Size:  63.6 KB

and Leatherface
    Name:  leatherfacefun.jpg
Views: 7979
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man those are some crazy paint chat doodles. I especially like leatherface... The smilie face on the robot's watch is a funny detail, tho I think the robot would never be able to eat the fish like that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jeez I wish I could Paint chat or OC
    (Mac)
    any way Ostrander I realy like yer stuff
    the earlier pices are very
    Danse Macabre
    or in the mexican tradition of Jose Guadalupe Posadas .,.. very Dio Del muertos
    (or howeveryou spellit)
    goya etc
    PM if im unintelligible

in any case I enjoyed you SB greatly
    post more please
    chaosrocks

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ayeee! I really love your work. hehe It's very robust and freakish, not in a bad way you know. hehe I also like your sense of humor. And.. Zombies rule!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Great Stuff. I Love Your Work On Those Challenges. Keep It Up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great imagination dude, nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spiffiness- Thanks Spiffy, those were done in sketcher. It's pretty cool.
    I agree with you on the robot eating the fish. I think it would be pretty funny as well as disgusting to see it try.

chaosrocks- Thanks for stopping by! Try sketcher, it runs on my G5 at work with no trouble. I'm glad you like my sketchbook, thanks for being a good sport with this weeks 3CH too! I'll try and post more soon.

Sanctuarie- Thanks! I'm glad you like my work and sense of humor, although, I don't think many get my sense of humor. I guess I'm just old. And yes zombies do rule!!

SLIIP- Thanks, I'm glad you like them! They are alot of fun to do, when time permits.

aphexboy- Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Thanks for stopping by guys, I'll post more art soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tossing another COW in here.

Here is this weeks COW #63 "Hypnotizing"
    Wrightson's Galoote
    The Wrightson's Galoote is named after Dr. B.A. Wrightson who first discovered the creature in 1867 grazing on the open prairies on the remote Island of Kaluta in the Met'al Hur'lant Sea.
    Dr. Wrightson observed a unique defensive trait of the Galoot whilst witnessing a chase by a rather large uncatagorized predator. As this predator gave chase, the swift movements of the Galoote and its "hypnotic" striping pattern on its posterior, or hide quarters in fact disoriented the predator into a "trance-like" state. Thus giving the Galoote a distinct advantage in its escape.
    Another remarkable event was witnessed as these same patterns also had a somewhat similar "dazing" effect on the opposite sex of the species, as a female Galoote moved in front of a group of competing males.
    Dr. Wrightson himself tried to make contact with one of these creatures. Having quietly moved close to one on the prairie, as he drew ever closer, the Galoote turned and stared with an eerie "hypnotic gaze".

All Dr. Wrightson can remember is awaking moments later, lying on the ground, with not a Galoote in sight.

Ostrander's Sketchbook of ShtuffName:  cowfin sm.jpg
Views: 8004
Size:  248.3 KB

Last edited by Ostrander; May 6th, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah that goat is so awesome! Those swirls on his buttocoks really make me stare at it. With his tail upraise it seems kind-of....erotic . My one opinion is the one bulging left cheek. With the jaw being straight it just doesn't seem right compared to the other cheek. Great design though, what did you use to apply the swirls on his body? Did you just paint them at that angle or deform them somehow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, erotic huh? Too funny.
    I made the swirl in illustrator cs2 with the twirl feature. Then copied the swirl over to pshop cs2 and used the warp tool, after I inked the creature in painter with a custom brush. It was the first time using the warp tool in photoshop cs2 and I loved it! It's a very cool feature. Glad you liked the pic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting work. Some really nice stuff. Let it be known that my driving instructor played the original Leatherface, funny guy. keep on it.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha the last one is funny! it gets some strange depth

SSG 33

-|Nyx|-|Ostrander|- |(c)|-|Machineabuse|-|Anthriel|-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like shi-painter more than sketcher... LOL at Nyx's comment... maybe cuz it's so round, like a humans? The angle of that back leg seems off, it looks more like a side view rather than a back view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ostrander,

The Zombie Ink's up top are very impressive. Are you using the liquid ink in Painter to do those? Or traditional pens? Which ones?

Joe.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2