Photoshop work - crits and ways to improve very welcome.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Photoshop work - crits and ways to improve very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photoshop work - crits and ways to improve very welcome.

I know... nothing, about photoshop. I just color as if I were trying to paint, and I can't paint either. But I like to belive I have a reasonable artists eye, I'm not pro and likely will never be - but I do enjoy drawng, and I do know what generally looks appealing. I started coloring, and defining with photoshop about a year ago - but never seriously. Here's a few quickies I did with photoshop. Thanks for viewing.
    A few quick logo's I've done
    One: I forget who did the art of the girl and the guy - but it wasn't me. The girl laying down in purplish color is my own work though. beautifully horrible is the title of my website, and anything affiliated with it.

Another logo... A letter I was written overlayed by a female I drew..and shadowed.

Photoshop colorings
    Chastity - comic book character. A drawing of a cover from the comic series, colored.

Anime girl - from some random manga I found... I drew it, then a while later used basic photoshop brushes to color it. I like the skin tone (even though it's not a real one per say)

Brick Wall - done with roxio photosuite and photoshop

She Hulk - Same as the one above for base, but changed skin tone and hair.

Justice Twice - If I redid this, I wouldn't use baby blue on her :/

Morbid - Originally a 'redemption angel concept' cut out of original pic, and then photoshopped into a red shadowed sunset.

Sailor Jupiter - Line work by my brother, Colored by me with photoshop. I was bored.

And that's pretty much it of what I feel like showing. I realize this doesn't compare to people that put time and effort into photoshop, but I'm hoping someone can give me tips, tricks, and tools that can be used to help me color things of this nature better. I have a feeling i have a better chance of learning to paint with photoshop then real paints lol.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just want to encourage you to keep practicing and studying, especially anatomy. The photoshop thread here has lots of info re: coloring/painting in Photoshop.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks I'll check it out !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice gesture and proportion. You have some nice drawing here. I really like them a lot. Just keep drawing daily and draw using reference from life or photos, you'll get better (trust me).

Painting with Photoshop is quite difficult 'til you find the right brush that works for you. Unlike Corel Painter where there're already whole bunch of brush sets given to you ready to use.

Here is a nice brush setting that I stole from somebody

Hard round edge
    hardness at 30%
    spacing 1%

Brush with Opacity & Flow set to pen pressure (other dynamics)

You can pretty much use one brush to do the entire painting. goo luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can use one brush but its much easier to get textures with a few.

1. the writting is distracting.
    3.skin is very muddy and gets gray. theres a great tut some where that shows how skin reacts to light. lots of other helpfull things in it too. |http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm|
    4. inserting photos unless done well always looks cut and past (this is bad) you can make a pattern in photoshop and apply it to a layer underneath. then add some textures wiht the layer stlyes few variations to give it some life. and you will have something that matches the feel of the peice as well as lighting.
    5. it looks like you took hair from a magazine, cut it out poorly, tinted it green , then did an over painting of the one befor. instead of reworking all the colors over again.
    6. not bad. one of the better ones. the shadow is to black to be on a white wall. shes so light that the white drounds her out. try another color back ground.
    7. i would loose the photo and try painting your own background.
    8. wont talk about the pic it's self but the coloring looks muddy like the first.

im no pro but somethings i spoted. if anyone wants to contradict me go ahead, or find that link cause i want to look over it again too|never mind i found it| (insert some form of a facial exspression)

Last edited by AdamDillabo; August 26th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm....youve a few lovely drawings in here....
    only problem is when you port them to digital, try practicing more digital, practice on color and composition... eventualy you'll get better, even before you knoe it...

also i suggest you draw a lot more, or rather more often, get your line quality better...

love the drawings....cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment i would have to say ditch photoshop for the moment its not teaching you anything. Focus on the fundamentals first then come back to photoshop a bit later and start trying to draw and paint your stuff, dont composite photos into your linework it will rarely look good at this stage.

Check here for some good tuts and and anywhere else in the fine arts and discovery sections

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Youve got some good drawings here keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get some anatomy books and practice your figures and proportions, thats all i can really say at this point. The 4th sketch though is kind of nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgardian
    At the moment i would have to say ditch photoshop for the moment its not teaching you anything. Focus on the fundamentals first then come back to photoshop a bit later and start trying to draw and paint your stuff, dont composite photos into your linework it will rarely look good at this stage.

Check here for some good tuts and and anywhere else in the fine arts and discovery sections

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Youve got some good drawings here keep posting.
    Quote for enphasis.

As well as anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodle - Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time I give photoshop a whirl.

Adam - thanks for the pointers, I'll look into the site. Any site's that emphasize anatomy, photoshop techniques, etcetera - are appreciated.

3phase - I agree, I'm seeking anything that teaches me. For me, art is all about steps, and learning.

Asguardian - Thanks for the forum link - like I said any links of this nature are always appreciated. Also, thank you for the compliment. It's good to know at times your work - no matter how amateur - is appreciated.

Matt Smith - The fourth sketch is likely one of the most anatomically incorrect drawings I've done Proof that it's not always anatomy, but balance to and appealment to what a persons eye wants to see. The fourth sketch is from an anime piece.. eyes... nose... fingers - even boob placement all incorrect. The other's are closer by far to anatomical correctness.. After all anime is made to be wrong 9 times out of ten I agree though. Anatomy books are always a good thing. I do study anatomy, but I collect various books on them. Not to mention I keep my drawings to female because I have a real life reference for that.. myself. My men are still highly lacking - it's hard to convince people to stand naked for you lol.. Joking.

Egerie - Thankies to you too!! Definitely going to keep with the anatomy. Part of it is my own inability to draw it - but I'd never give up trying to get it

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.