Thanks

Favorite places to draw from life?

I guess you can say everywhere, but if you're like me, I don't travel around to much. I have to know where I'm going before I leave. So where do you go to get a bit of drawing in when it's not a figure drawing class?

Obviously the zoo's a great one. Bit of a trip but always worth it. Locally I like the bookstore and I'm thinking about trying out this fun center/golf center deal that's always busy and has a bunch of benches around perfect for drawing. Tried going to the bookstore tonight though and the place is so packed the cafe lounge doesn't have an open spot in it. Not to mention taking my 11x17 sketchbook our and knocking elbows as I draw, I just said forget it.

I need some better places to go, or at least a wider range of options. Where do you goes go to get some lifedrawing in?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks
    never been to a strip club..but dance clubs are hia;rious to try to draw at. the lights are low and every one is moving a lot. but they take the same psoes often enough to capture a really quicl gesture drawing.

actaully my fav place to draw is Point Lobos, Carmel CA.Plein air oil painting
    but as I said before tonight, Im and oldfashioned girl
    about some things
    chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    I was joking about the strip club. Point Lobos? Where do u live? I used to live in Santa Cruz, and I always loved going to Point Lobos. From the point south was just miles and miles of absolutely beautiful coastline.

Thanks
    J2 Cool - where do you live?

Here in NYC anyplace is dood to draw. Get a smaller more portable sketchbook and you're good to go. make it easier on yourself and have things always ready and you won't have to plan your trips.
    I always have at least 1 sketchbook with me. I've also recently discovered the beauty if a small moleskine sketchbook which fits easily in my back pocket.
    During my lunch break i head out to Central PArk or one of the many open spaces where business people eat lunch. and i'm always sketching.
    Also go to bars with my artist friends to sketch.
    Museums, coffee shops. laundramat. subway. etc

Thanks
    train and subway are my favourite places. theyre just so cozy - especially at rush hour. i always have a small A6 sketchbook in my pocket so i can sketch anywhere - but often i bring my A4 book and draw in that one...
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    International Airport the zoo, and beach/park

Thanks
    A park with statues can be good. Statues make nice models.
    I like fast food places for quick character sketches, just impressions mostly, but you get a good turn around.
    The food court at the mall. You may pick up work doing baby portraits if you do that. Happens to me.
    Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I have easles and 18x24 pads permanently anchored in at least six girls' locker rooms. They think I'm the blind plumber.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I went to school with a guy who would sketch at the stripclub. He said it was a challenge not to get thrown out, but if you're discreet and keep tipping, then you should be fine. All I ever saw him paint were self portraits, naked women, and people having sex.

and that's my story.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    All I ever saw him paint were self portraits, naked women, and people having sex.

and that's my story.
    you mean there are other subjects to paint?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilaekae
    I have easles and 18x24 pads permanently anchored in at least six girls' locker rooms. They think I'm the blind plumber.
    hehehe

my favorite place would have to be the subway or airport... lots of challenging forms, still people, etc.

j

Thanks
    The library is also good. It's quiet, people aren't moving around a whole lot, and plenty of referance material if needed.

Thanks
    Friday night Jazz, over at Fancy Nancies Galery.
    By now the've put up an extra light for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    I was joking about the strip club.
    Yeah, sure you were...

I havn't done any drawing from life for nearly 15 years, but when I was younger I used to go to a river near me where people would swim. I used to find it facinating all the wierd positions people used to stand in when they were in their bathing suit on the riverbank.

Thanks
    Definitely airports, especially on those long layovers trying to get back to the U.S. from Europe or Japan. I usually end up with a gaggle of youngsters around me trying to sneak a peek of what I'm drawing, with parents trying hard (but not too hard) to keep their kids from bugging me.

*cut to Fiumicino airport in Rome, waiting for a flight back to New York*

"I'm sorry, is Junior bothering you?" says Mom, who is just as interested as Junior.

"No ma'am, he's just fine. I don't mind."

"Draw me Yu-Gi-Oh!!" says Junior, who obviously needs to cut back on the sweets.

"Grr... I don't draw Yu-Gi-Oh, I draw my own characters. See?"

"You're too old to draw cartoons!" says Junior.

"Say kid, what's your seat number? I wanna to make sure I sit next to the door so I can jump out of the plane if you get seated next to me..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishCommy
    J2 Cool - where do you live?
    South suburbs of Chicago. 20-30 minutes from the city where I have to go for figure drawing. Otherwise around here it's all very suburban and people are always inside somewhere. Either way though, I bought a nice small pad to carry around. 100 sheet 5.5"x8.5"

Thanks
    I live in Ohio, but spend huge amount s of time in Carmel......I also like a small table in a corner any place theres dancing. and orchestra concerts. people playing classical music stay in more or less the same position. so I go to recitals.

the beach is good too esp with sunbathers. butthey tend to get self concious if they catch you. or pose. .....not long enough.

chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s