Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

Mike Han's sketchbook

Hi. I think I've been improving lately so I made a thread. I use reference pretty much all of the time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    mmmm nice, first piece looks pretty good, the dress in the second one very nice though the bg looks a little messy. What are your goals with art? how old are you? Lets see more stuff!

Thanks
    It looks like you are doing the right things. I wish ye good luck!

Thanks
    Rblitz7: I'm 19, studying Electrical Engineering. My short term goal is get better at drawing, long term is to study art and paint portraits. Yeah the background has too many lines right now; I have to smudge it and then redraw lines over it. I forgot to mention I'm copying the girl from a Waterhouse.

I saw a picture of a bird and thought it looked like a person, so that's the sketch I'm posting. The cast drawing of Voltaire is something I did this summer, I think it's the best piece I've ever done so I'm putting it up here as a benchmark.
    Last edited by mikehan!; August 29th, 2006 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Worked on the Waterhouse study some more today. I'm drawing a cast of Zeus (I think) in art class, I need at least another 6 hours on it though. I learned that when shading, it's helpful to leave some lines to help map out the planes and give an object a stronger sense of form.

Thanks
    So I finished the dress. I have to practice the face a couple dozen times now, one square inch is pretty small for a head...

Thanks
    After trying (unsuccessfully) to draw a face that small, I think I'll leave my study faceless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 259 Posts
    Hello Mike! You have done a nice job with the master-copies. Why not switch to drawing from life, though? It’s a more effective way to learn than copying subjects that have already been recorded in 2D by paint or photo.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Did some more drawing from life yesterday. I think I could have better on the leaves. I didn't remember to vary my line weight until halfway through, but afterwards the drawing was a little more interesting. I probably could have been more focused though.

I think the wind chimes are pretty bad; they don't even look like they're made of metal. I also tried to draw a tree, but I got my ass kicked. I can't break it up into planes because its one of those Christmas-type trees; it's made up of groups of branches, and there is shadow/open space between them. I tried to group the branches together, but I still don't know how to really render a tree because there's so much going on. Right now I'm going to try to draw just part of a tree and see if I can learn something from that.

Thanks
    Today's edition includes:

A portrait of Chamillionaire
    Some sketches I did to get used to my Wacom
    The house across from my backyard
    A photo of said house

Thanks
    Mostly copies of drawings by Sargent and Whistler. The tree is from life.

Thanks
    Hey MikeHan, good stuff here bro!! Nice portrait sketches. I also have a hard time with trees. Keep postin more stuff bro!!

Thanks
    A copy of an etching by Whistler and some blocks.

Thanks
    Starting to learn Painter, it's kind of frustrating because I feel like I have idea what I'm doing. For example, blending colors. Do people do it on the canvas or do they pick what color they want to use before they start?

Thanks
    Painted a tree using my previous sketch as reference. I'm trying to figure out how to bring things forward/push things back. With pencil, I learned to bring things forward by using more/denser lines and more detail, and to smudge/use less contrast to push parts back. I was thinking that in painting, maybe less saturated colors could be used to push things back, but I'm not really sure.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast