Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Holy crap, I just hit someone down on a bike.

Oh man, I was driving tonight around one of those round-abouts and I did not see these two guys on a bike, I headed forward and I hear this shout, I begin to slowdown and look to my right, I see this cyclist and I'm like "Holy fuck!" I hadn't even seen this guy.

I jam on the brakes and I look forward, HOLY FUCK! there is another cyclist in front of me, I manage to brake just in time and the car slidded forward and wacked into the back of his tyre and he was jolted off.

I immediately raised my hand in apology and I am about to step out of the car and offer some assistance and offer to drive them to the hospital, when the guy from the bike I hit gets up and kicks the bumper of my car and the guy to my right tries to rip off my wing mirror, I'm like "Oh for fucksake..." so i reverse and turn left and they kick my car again.

I drive off and I'm a little shaken, I'm not going to stop to exchange details, because they're in a highly aggresive state, so I drive off home and I'm sitting at home trying to gather my thoughts when the police ring.

He comes down and looks at my car and we talk a little about what happened. And I have to get back in contact with him tommorrow - he also says that it is a serious offence not to report it, but I honestly didn't realise I had to report it immediately and I was going to talk to them in the morning and let me gather my thoughts - so that no reporting thing put me in the shitter.

Oh man, this sucks ass.

m

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    that's unfortunate string of events, hope things turn out for the best of everyone involved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    holy crap man.. that stuff is rotten. some people arent understanding these days. i lost my license recently due to speeding over the easter long weekend (double demerits) and was enjoying my last day of having a license, only to be pulled over and informed that i was in fact driving whilst disqualified. $300 fine. i was reasonable, however, and the cop that pulled me over followed me up a few days later and got me to come to the station to explain things. he tore up the fine, but i still have to go to court and plead my case. just a few days ago my dad backed into a busted up ute, and despite there being no damage done to the ute (only his van), he drove off. the people found out and tried to pull a scam, saying that he caused a whole lot of damage that he didnt. insurance guys know them to be frauds so thats fortunate.

unfortunately with you, this isnt something you can quite so easily claim clemancy from. you did hit the guy, and his response notwithstanding, its just one of those things you gotta face the music for. if i could offer any help at all i would, but meh.. im not exactly a fairy-godmother eh. all the best with this one bud, i really do hope they go easy on you. keep us updated, bro.

- chris

Thanks
    Thanks guys, cheers stoph - yeah i realise it was my fault and I'm prepared to cover his costs and apologise to him, but I'm also prepared to sue for damages to my car.

Happy birthday too btw, sucks about yor licence mate.

Thanks
    dude thats not funny! i hat the same 4 weeks ago but i was on my bike i killed the whole car the front window and shit. i was really lucky that i sight the insurence papers a week earlier !!!!! but i was lucky enough i didnt break anything

SSG 33

-|Nyx|-|Ostrander|- |(c)|-|Machineabuse|-|Anthriel|-

Thanks
    All are alive, no one is dead, that's positive thing. Is this guy in good health? the one who fell down? Why the light didn't reflect on the guys bicycles? Were they keeping right? was it one line?
    Sorry it happened to you. If guy tried to kick your car he is probably all right. Not clear what happened though. You were not thinking straight or angry or not safe when you drove away? Hope everything will be OK, probably some money fine will follow though.

Thanks
    Man, what stupid assholes.
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP XXV

Truth is stranger than fiction

CA

Thanks
    I'm not sure exactly where Adelaide is in Australia, but here is some info taken from this page (PDF) regarding cycling in Victoria:

If you are intending to ride at night or in
    hazardous weather conditions causing reduced
    visibility, by law you must display:
    • A flashing or steady white light that is clearly
    visible for at least 200 metres from the front of
    the bicycle.
    •A flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible
    for at least 200 metres from the rear of the
    bicycle.
    • A red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50
    metres from the rear of the bicycle when light is
    projected onto it by a vehicle's headlight on low-
    beam.
    (Road Rules Victoria Part 15 rule 259.)
    I would highly recommend brushing up on the laws in your area. In the states, bicycles are treated as motor vehicles on the road and are expected to behave as such. Granted, this isn't enforced anywhere near as strictly as it should be, but the laws are very important during times like these and could very well help you out of a sticky situation.

I am assuming they were not following proper visibility laws (else you would have seen them) and were possibly breaking other "rules of the road" in the process. Not to mention the fact that they were exceedingly hostile and attempted to damage your vehicle upon stopping. I don't know about you, but I would have feared assault if I stepped out of the vehicle. Something happens, I piss someone off and people start banging on my car like that, I'm not sticking around to see what happens next. It's not safe.

You SHOULD have called the authorities as soon as you got home, though.

Best of luck.
    Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Man as a cyclist in San Francisco hearing this stuff always makes me nervous. Accidents happen but man if you're driving keep an eye open for us little guys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
Agree with faux. glad to hear YOU are 'alright'

Thanks
    Lame!

Any idea how the cops tracked you down? Stree security cameras?

Thanks
    That sucks! It's hard to know how to handle a situation when it lands on your lap so quickly.

Only thing that probably would have helped you was to call the police when you got home to tell them incase someone calls to say they were hit by someone, that they could contact you so you could do what you first intended before they caused a rukas.

Hopefully the police will understand from how they reacted caused you to leave in fear of your property of being damaged, and if they were kicking your car, they were fine enough for you to flee and take care of yourself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    Lame!

Any idea how the cops tracked you down? Stree security cameras?
    You can be sure the guys on bicycles took his license plate... they were close enough....

Thanks
    Man, that's a shitty situation. I have a similar but funnier story though...

My friend was driving around the roundabout near where I used to go to school (not actually a roundabout, it's a weird egg shape). Anyway, a cyclist zooms out of nowhere as he's going around and runs into the side of his car. He slams on the brakes and gets out.
    The cyclist is lying in a heap, swearing and getting up. Seems unhurt. The bike is lying next to the car and there's a great big dent in the door.
    "Look what you did to my car, fucker!" my friend says. He picks up the guys bike, throws it into the backseat, and drives away.

Um... yeah. End of story. My friend was an arsehole, but cyclists should realise that roads are for cars, and they should especially realise that since most drivers brains are tuned to look for cars, people on bikes often don't even register as important objects.
    My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    I also agree that cyclists have to realise that people aren't contantly on the look out for them and should assume that any car they encounter hasn't seen them. As nice as it would be for every driver to be totally aware of everything around them 100% of the time, it just doesn't happen, and for their own sense of self preservation if anything, cyclists should stay as far away from cars as possible. I know I would if i ever road a bike on the road...cars are just too scary for me . And wtf were 2 of them doing in front and beside you on the roundabout? sounds like they were the retards in this situation. Roundabouts are dangerous even for drivers, nevermind cyclists. Has anyone ever seen one of those videos of someone getting hit by a car? it's like watching a ragdoll getting hit by a baseball bat. I don't think people realise how much force is behind a car even at low speed.

And about the cop thing - they tried to fucking assault you! it was self defence! Just say you were afraid for your life and drove away, and were too traumatised to ring the police. Sounds like you were anyway. GL with it man.

Thanks
    The fact that he left the scene after they became violent wasnt the problem. It was the fact that he didnt report it. Right now its a hit and run and thats a very big deal.

As far as suing them for damages to your car, are you doing it to get money to repair your car, or are you doing it as more of a pride issue? If you just want money, then I'd advise against it. Lawsuits are very expensive. Very very... A side view mirror and a new bumper arent that expensive. I also dont think you should antagonize the people who, if youre very lucky, might drop any charges.

Thanks
    Dont worry too much about it Magic. This may sound really wierd but il say it anyways since it comes from a few years experiance.

They werent angry at you.

There ;p I said it.

Ive had plenty good and bad experiances riding a fair few miles to Uni and back again, and yes, I have a collection of wing mirrors. Im sure that if you can get around to talking to the guy who reported you, face to face, and explain your side more clearly. Im sure any charges will be dropped.

Roundabouts in the UK are always bastards on a bike >< I usually try time it so i tag behind a bus for abit.

Anyways gl Magic.
    !!My New Animation Sketchbook!!

SSG #12: The Twelve Disciples
    25days-Penciler-OBX-Kresh-Flynn-Boogieman-Oki

Sponsor your own Animator, for only £1.25 a day. We can put an end to the suffering.
    Donations
    We accept most Credit cards, and food. Lots of food.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, I talked to my company lawyer this morning and its not a case of Hit & Run since I was going to report it this morning and I had reason to be fearful about my safety, and I am typing up a report right now for the police and insurance company.

Last night the cop also came over to give me a breath test and I came up clean so hopefully its not too big an issue.

I have 24 hours to report it, but it would have been better to report it earlier.

The best outcome would be if both parties just dropped charges, I can live with some scuff marks and a dent - although I really did not appreciate them becoming violent, that really fucked me off especially when I made an honest mistake and was willing to help rectify any problems and drive them to a hospital.

Thanks again for well wishes.

m

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    thats brilliant news mate. i really do hope all the best for you and yours. keep us posted as always, and dont let something like this get to you

Thanks
    This reminds me of that case where the totally drunk lawyer hit the cyclist, didnt bother to help him, the dude dies and he didnt even get a jail , except that you werent in the wrong!
    Best of luck, im sure it will turn out fine
    Btw, what area was it in? Sounds a bit rough.
    Best of luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzkin
    but cyclists should realise that roads are for cars, and they should especially realise that since most drivers brains are tuned to look for cars, people on bikes often don't even register as important objects.
    no, thats bullshit. people who think this way are the PROBLEM

Thanks
    yeah I agree with wesburt. Anyways good luck magic man.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    ditto wes' comment. As far as the whole drivers vs cyclists thing it seems there are a fair amount on both sides that dont have much respect for the other. Regardless of whos right and wrong, both sides have a right to be on the road (its actually where cyclists are supposed to be, not the sidewalk) and we'd all be better off if we were more aware of eachother. Especially in urban environments where biking is becoming a much more popular form of transportation.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 'stoph.
    some people arent understanding these days.
    as a cyclist who rides everyday and doesnt own a car, you better believe that if someone in a car hit me from behind, i wouldnt be too happy about it either.
    i may not get up and kick the car or start a physical fight, but i would not be understanding of having a 4 ton steered missle hit me from behind.
    i have absolutely no problem calling in lisence plate numbers of wreckless drivers.

that said, back to the situation,
    i dont know what the laws are for your city, but in many places cyclists are allowed to take the lane if they feel necessary. i often do if i dont feel like there is significant room for me to ride.

cars and bicycles should be able to share the roads. theres nothing wrong with that.
    i appreciate Magic Man's attitude towards this shitty situation though, its a shame more drivers are not as concerned with cyclists safety.

Thanks
    Where I'm from, a cyclist gets a ticket for riding on the sidewalk. Its dangerous as hell anyway.

Thanks
    no, thats bullshit. people who think this way are the PROBLEM
    Unfortunately it's the truth. Do you think people on bikes and motorbikes are invisible? Yet people drive into them all the time, at day and night. Why? Because for many people, any object without two headlights spaced at a certain distance just doesn't register as an important object. You can say it's unfair, and it IS unfair, but denying it is just gonna end up with you being hit by a car.

Cyclists, motorbike riders and pedestrians are more fragile than people in cars, and they should stop thinking that they're invincible. Just because you SHOULDN'T be hit by a car doesn't mean you won't be. Stay the hell out of the way of cars and don't expect them to give you right of way, because you'll be the one that ends up hurt.
    My sketchbook Critical Feedback = Luv

Thanks
    If it makes you feel any better, your case of auto accident turned out much better than all 3 cases of auto accidents I've experienced so far.

Thanks
    Hey MagicMan, I'm glad to hear that things didn't end too badly for you, and I sympathise, because especially on roundabouts, cyclists can be almost impossible to notice. It seems like your "friends" weren't aware of blind spots. I hate cyclists and motorbikes being anywhere near my car because they're harder to anticipate than other cars.
    The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    At least you weren't high on THC and would be crashing against every single tree along the road, as happened to my brother.
    This doesn't hekp, but hey....tacke it easy. Shit happens.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzkin
    Unfortunately it's the truth. Do you think people on bikes and motorbikes are invisible? Yet people drive into them all the time, at day and night. Why? Because for many people, any object without two headlights spaced at a certain distance just doesn't register as an important object. You can say it's unfair, and it IS unfair, but denying it is just gonna end up with you being hit by a car.

Cyclists, motorbike riders and pedestrians are more fragile than people in cars, and they should stop thinking that they're invincible. Just because you SHOULDN'T be hit by a car doesn't mean you won't be. Stay the hell out of the way of cars and don't expect them to give you right of way, because you'll be the one that ends up hurt.
    Why not watch where the hell you're going? You're supposed to be looking out for dangers without the obvious two headlights anyway, such as kids and animals running into the street.

I don't think any cyclist thinks they're invincible just because they're riding on the road. Someone is more likely to be hit riding on a sidewalk as a car is zipping out of his driveway than on the road anyway. And it's not like someone is biking 10 mph in front of you in the left lane, going the opposite direction on the freeway every morning. Share the road, be responsible, and don't be a dick just because you're protected by two tons of steel.

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast