Thanks

Lightbulb If you could design a next-gen game...

...What new ideas would you put into it? What do you wish game developers would do with next generation games?

Personally, I want more realistic controls. I was thinking about this earlier, here's the end result of some nerdy brainstorming.

How about a button that triggers actions on certain things, say climbing a really tight staircase, and how you perform the action changes depending on how you press the button. Kind of like the sneak=>walk=>run mechanic with joysticks. You go up to a fire-exit type staircase and press the action button, the character climbs the stairs liesurely. You can look around, aim, shoot, pick things up from the rails with a different button, etc. while this is going on. If you start to tap the button at regular intervals, the character goes a little faster. If you press and hold the button at regular intervals, he'll skip a astep or two with every pace, depending on the pressure you apply to the button. If you tap the button really fast, he'll grab the rail and run up the steps. If you hit the button really fast with a lot of pressure the character will lunge up the stairs, skipping steps. Depending on your speed, he might pull himself along with the rail and freakin fly up the stairs, skipping as many steps as he can. Obviously by this point you wouldn't be able to pick stuff up but you could still look around and if you've got a free hand you'd be able to shoot at stuff.

Suppose you don't watch the stairs and your character slips, or you shoot a really high-powered gun while you're running, or get shot yourself. You have a chance to stop yourself from faceplanting by tilting the controller in a certain direction to catch your balance, and a button press to put your hands out if you do fall down. You could control how low you end up(maybe it's a good idea to hide against the stairs for a second) by catching yourself with quick or slow timing. Once on the ground, unhurt or not, you can tilt the controller in different directions to get up, turn over onto your back, or roll to the side. Tilting speed determines how hard you push, how fast you roll, etc. The degree of tilting determines whether you simply turn over or roll.

If you fall on a flat surface, you could perform some karate self-righting move by holding a button and tilting the controller in a wave motion. You could even do a flip in the middle of a roll if you tap a button and quickly tilt the controller into your roll, right yourself by tilting the controller forward, land on your feet with another button tap, and get the hell out of there with the analog stick, maybe looking around and shooting while you run.

In MechWarrior 3050 for the SNES, you needed two controllers to play, one for the upper body with weapons subsystems, and one for the lower body with cooling, etc. That really frustrated the hell out of me, but I love the idea... How about designating two different buttons on different sides of the controller that change a respective half of the control layout when held or tapped? One half for arm-specific controls, one half for leg-specific controls. Like maybe you're running and you want to shoot at something behind you, but you need to watch where you're going because footing ahead's unsure or you need to duck into an alleyway. Hold down the arm action change button to change the functions of the firing/reloading buttons, then press fire to send a random volley behind you, while leaping over rocks or watching for that alleyway. Maybe you want to do some Jackie Chan stuff with a wall. Hold the leg action change button to change the function of the leg action button that you climbed stairs with. Run at the wall at a certain angle, and hold the new leg action button while balancing with controller tilt to run along the wall. Move the left stick forward or backward while on the wall to change your step spacing, from little steps to lunges, or slam the stick back and tilt the controller backwards hard to attempt a sudden stop. Slam the stick forward, let go of the function change button, and tap the leg action button to leap from the wall. Maybe tap the button a few times at the right intervals to do a few steps up the wall, then tilt back, let go of the function change button, and tap the leg function button to push away from the wall. Heck, you could even do a gymnast's flip in the air by tilting the controller hard in a certain direction as soon as you push off from the wall, then right yourself with a well-placed button tap, like I described above.

If all this function change stuff sounds complicated, I'm mimicking the controls while I'm writing this. With practice this stuff would become second nature. Man, these are my dream controls. If the controller isn't replaced by the VR helmet or something anytime soon, I hope someone does something like this.

Also, what about a control scheme that operates different muscle groups with different buttons, and all of the game's actions are dynamic, dependent on how well you can control your own body. Say, the left stick sends the leg muscles through a basic walking script that changes depending on which direction you press, controller tilt affects the torso muscles, the right analog stick works the neck muscles, the right-hand buttons control extension/flexion of the arms, and shoulder buttons control finger movement.

These actions would spill into each other. If you ran as fast as you could your arms would start pumping to give you that extra momentum, and you could stop that from happening(maybe you've got to aim at something or you want to pick up an object while you run) by holding the arm flexion buttons. You could stick your arms out like Shaggy with the arm extension buttons and run like a scared idiot, grabbing for whatever's in front of you with the finger buttons.

If you ran and tilted the controller to the left your torso muscles would shift your weight to the left. The leg muscle script would pick up on this and conpensate, and you'd end up changing direction. You could tilt the controller hard and move the left stick in the same direction to leap in that direction, the harder the stick push, the stronger the leg push and the farther the leap.

You could climb a ladder by tilting the stick forward and working the arms and fingers at the right times. You could look around while you climb and push off by using the leaping motion I described while extending the arms and letting go with the fingers.

Punching would involve closing the fist and flexing the arm, looking at your target, twisting your torso muscles to line up your fist with the target, and extending your arm, while squeezing your fingers shut and stepping forward. Just like in real life.

You'd open and close your fingers by dividing pressure between the front and back shoulder buttons. If you pressed hard on R1, your fingers would close all the way, and if you pressed as hard as you could on it you'd ball up a really tight right fist. If you pressed R2 you'd open your fingers, holding R2 hard would bend them as far back as they could naturally go. Divvying pressure between them, say pressing R1 while holding R2 down lightly, then smoothly switching the pressure amounts between them, would let you smoothly flex your fingers one after the other, pinky to thumb. Switching the pressure amounts again would open them back up. If you toyed around with it and really got to know the controls I imagine you could play an in-game guitar pretty good.

Basically the whole body's run by dynamic scripts that affect one another depending on your actions, the same goes for your body and the outside world. You could combine all this dynamic muscle scripting with function change buttons or even function change footpedals to really expand the range of motions and interactivity.

I'd really like to see this stuff in one way or another on a PS3 game

What about you guys?
    Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    we got very nice feedback mechanisms built into our own bodies, things that the most advanced controllers can't even mimic. And even then it takes about a year crawling around the floor before stumbling around clumsily on two feet becomes a possibility.

with a control scheme like that, it's like climbing up the stairs in your house with blinders and sunglasses, on foot high soft rubber stilts. Next, throw in the hoards of enemy soldiers that have precise aiming! heheheh

i enjoy racing sims with a forcefeedback wheel... and even then it's freaking tough to judge often without stereoscopic depth perception, g forces, and panoramic vision.

i'd just prefer it automatic... in-game, if you're a well-hard trained elite mercenary, i expect the character to vault when there's an obstacle, to duck when there's a low hanging obstruction. The buttons should only come into play when there's a choice... like a ladder to grab right before a chasm to leap. The rest should be 100% game... rather than a cycle of quicksave/quick-resumes.

otherwise, it'll end up with 10,000 volt electrodes hooked up to the player with an ominious "1 life only" flashing at the corner of the screen... heheh.

Thanks
    with a control scheme like that, it's like climbing up the stairs in your house with blinders and sunglasses, on foot high soft rubber stilts.
    I do that every day 8)

Automatic actions are cool and all, but I'm itchin for some real ingenuity in control schemes. 'Move with this, jump with this, turn your flashlight on with this' is getting old after ten years. Besides, if I'm playing Tenchu and I have a choice between 'press this button to go through the assassination sequence' and 'cut the sartorius so he can't get away, then drive the blade through whatever organ you want and kick his dead body in the crotch' I'm going with the latter.
    Last edited by TechLoveAffair; August 24th, 2006 at 06:57 AM.

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    i want to push the quality of the grafics to an extend where its impossible to make ti any more "photo-realistic" and combine it with a good physique-engine. With that set its finally possbile to have artistic freedome when it comes to creating a game...nothing more i would wish to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    New hardware, my own mech ofcourse. Real size.
    And then head of to tokyo.

Thanks
    I would design a MMORPG where the controls are much more fun than click click click. In fact the game would use a controller. There would be two sets of controls. Exploration and fighting. Of course it would be possible to use both sets in either situation. There's the exploration control setting that would be along the lines of a the usual FPS and then there's the fighting controls that can be customized to fit most 3D fighters. Set it up so it's possible to have controls along the lines of Soul Caliber/Tekken or closer to Mortal Kombat/DOA.

I have much more of this thought about, but those are the basics.

Thanks
    I WOULD MAKE a mmofps WITH SOME people telling you wher to go and then squads of people on the floor who are playing .. acting out these comands ,
    and you could buy extra people but the higher rank they are the more they cost .. and you can desighn your own vechiles and all stuff thats good all of this on one big map with no loading screens woot ..and there would be no monthly charge because they suck...
    james
    idelwise pirate my sketchbook

Thanks
    1. better Ai.
    2. 1 on 1 sword fighting game w/ online play. this game called gunz the duel came out about a year ago probly and it had swords in it. i loved having duels with them but some guy would always run in and gank you :insert crying emo icon: but that game had its flaws, lot of glitches, hard to do what you want all the time, it was international and not server based. (guy in korea running a 8 man server from his house = hits dont count.)

3. a grand theft auto with more controlabilty.
    4. Ca.org forums with spell check (but thats just dreaming)

Thanks
    its just an easy idea but its good for fighting games like Tekken and so on.
    For all moves of the attacking person there have to be a countermove for defending persons.
    so defending today looks like standing around and get hits
    on this way it looks just a littlebit cooler, has no changes for gameplay and
    highs up the atmosphere, because everybody wants to see a good fight and not a oneway fight. attack, defend, attack, defend
    there would be more flow in the fight

Thanks
    I'd make an awesome console where the you can turn the controller, just like you did when you were a kid, but it actualy moves the game stuff. and the controller can also like be used to point at shit and select stuff. And like it would have like a speaker in it. And like rumble and shit. Yeah. And like you can plug in other stuff so you can have even more cool control options.
    Yeah, that would be the shit.

...Oh, wait...
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Im with you on that one cartoonfox

Thanks
    More artistic, more original. And if you're going to have omg best graphics ever, why don't you make a game that uses it? Something where realism makes up a large part of the game. Like an adventure/detective game where you get enveloped in just exploring and seeing things, talking to people who are uber-realistic.

Pfft, what am I saying. They'll just keep making games that don't even really need good graphics as more than an eyecatch.

Thanks
    I'd like to hear more music like this:

www.metroidmetal.com/songs.html

-Paul Graham

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TechLoveAffair
    I'd like to hear more music like this:

www.metroidmetal.com/songs.html

Seriously, i agree, more good metal in games.

Also, if they could finally make a good 3d fps mmo rpg rts adventure all in one.

I imagine something like Team Fortress 2, but with customizable characters in a large persistent world, with a ranking system, and like hideouts and headquarters, and maybe npc's for hire.

Thanks
    If I could design a next-gen game I would be a happy man.....

Yeah that would be about it, not really aiming to make up a game for my own specific taste and I think people are doing an amazing job so far.

Thanks
    I want to play a game where I'm a barrel in a barrelworld, killing barrels with other barrels and earning points in the form of barrels.

I would call the game... "On a Roll"

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I think there's a severe lack of Utopia K240 / Fragile Allegiance right now. In short it's a SimCity-Space-RTS taking place in an asteroid belt. You build colonies on asteroids, do the RTS and Sim City stuff, and colonize more asteroids. The asteroids are all floating around and can collide. You can also put gravity stabilizers and engines on them. Each asteroid belt has an alien enemy you can battle. I think there's some 8-9 aliens in total. The game is quite clumpsy to operate. A modern GUI would be great. It's one of the things that have improved with modern games I think.

Any sandbox game would be great too. Hurry up Spore and SupCom!
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I'd enjoy games to get a bit more mature, not in terms of age rating though
    Theres a lot of good, serious and funny movies being made, but games still have you fighting aliens, firing plasma cannons, playing elves or saving bunnies. I can't tell my mom or some of my friends about them without them rolling their eyes. Now i'm not really a fan of strategy games, and i need my dose of action, but maybe a little less lens flare would be good for games.
    Actually i think thats the direction games are moving into slowly though, and its just a matter of development time spent / technology being developed. So, uhm. Yeah. Let the game designers do their job