A guy with a baseball bat ;)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A guy with a baseball bat ;)

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok, here's a little thing that I made
    Started out as a sketch, scanned it and coloured it in PS
    Comments and criticism is welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Zynic,
    Theres some nice interest in the coloring, but before you even start to take the time to color a sketch in make sure your anatomy is correct. There are many problems with the anatomy and I would recommend using a reference image and studying a anatomy book(There are many out there, can recommend if you don't already have). As far as the coloring, it pops and gets my attention. But everything gets flattened. Needs more gradation from light to dark. Also the clothes and skin of the character are very flat(The skin is stretched over bone and muscle and the clothes on top of that). Hope this helps, keep up the good work. Next time you may want to post the sketch too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main thing that struck me is his face. It looks to me like a white guy coloured in brown (before anyone makes an unnececsary comment, im just stating the facts). Typically, a black male would have a flatter nose, and not as angular as that. On the same note, his lips are very thin for what you would expect.
    From what I can see thrugh huis vest, his pecs are either very very low, or non existent. As duffy said, first comes the skeleton, then the muscle, the skin, and finally the clothes. You would generally be able to make out some of the muscle shape under clothes, not so much on loose fitting such as the vest, but at least large muscle groups like that.
    Finally, you should try and study the way cloth hangs. A good one is to drape a sheet over a chair and try and draw that. The vest is well done in that respect, but the trousers seemto have lots of random creases all over.

Hope that helps, and overall its a good piece. I have no critiscisms about the colouring, and youve done a better job than i could on the foreshortening.

"Never have I seen a greater, or a more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother" - The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

Currently Living in Woodbridge, VA (Washington DC Metro area)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by foggle
    Typically, a black male would have a flatter nose, and not as angular as that. On the same note, his lips are very thin for what you would expect.
    Flat nose? not true Some blacks have angular noses and thin lips also. I should know as I am Black and my nose is in no way flat. Black people have a very wide variety of appearances so your statement does not hold true.
    Other than that I agree with most of what you said.

The work is some what flat not enough variation in color to create a since of dept. Try adding more highlights and midtones so you can distinguish muscles more. Also pay a little more attention to the anatomy get a reference image if you are unsure how things look it helps alot this can also help with shading and lighting.

Just my $0.02

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    show more muscle definition. Even though a baseball bat isnt terribly heavy, muscles will still be at work. Look at yourself in the mirror in that pose holding a bat. Especially in the fore arm you will see at least a little definition. Nice start though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Though I think that the arms could both use work-- the foreshortening is nice but the arm is not wide enough - model yourself in the mirror and you'll know what I mean. His upper right arm is off also, it is too long to the elbow.
    Just work on your anatomy more and you'll have it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool pic overall, but the bat needs to flatten out somewhere. Nobody'd be able to hit homers with that thing Keep function in mind, if the whole bat was rounded like that it would be really tough to line up a good swing because each point on the bat could really change the ball's direction.

Here's what it should look like, more or less:
    http://allyouthbaseball.com/library/...gorTeeball.jpg

The bicep on his batting arm should be puffed up more since his arm's bent, and the tricep should be a single arc from shoulder to elbow.

Keep going with this, I'm a fan of those pants

Procrastinator At Work - Eventually!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

"The problem is, the world these kids create for themselves is at first a very crude one. If you leave a bunch of eleven-year-olds to their own devices, what you get is Lord of the Flies."
    -Paul Graham

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone

Duffy33: Yeah, I agree. The anatomy isn't exactly perfect, but I just
    wanted to play around with colours for a while So I guess that you could call
    this an experiment. I'll keep your advice in mind

foggle: I agree with you about the lips, they turned out a bit thinner than
    I planned :o ( Didn't notice until now though )
    However, I'm not sure about the nose I've seen a huge variation of
    nose-sizes amongst black people, so I just drew a nice that would fit his profile
    A rather sharp one.
    You are right about the muscles not being as visible as they should be
    I'll study clothes, along with anatomy ;D

Hookswords: Yeah, more muscle-definition Noted!
    Unfortunately, I don't have a baseball bat But I guess that I could make
    one in wood-crafts in school or something ^_^

jn2art: Allright I'm fairly new to colouring and shading, so I should
    probably study it a bit more thoroughly.
    I had a little problem finding a reference for a black guy holding an aluminium
    bat

Alayna: Allright, anatomy-studies it is ^_^

TeckLoveAffair: Ah, thanks for that reference-pic I was stupid
    enough not to look one up myself, I thought that they were round like that
    About the Bicep and Tricep, you are totally right about the bicep, though in my anatomy-book( by Loomis ), I recall that there was another muscle next to the tricep
    I'll look through the anatomy-studies again, I'm most likely wrong

Wow, I love the criticism that you get here
    It's an eye-opener every time, and now I can see a lot of errors in the sketch that I should have fixed
    Thanks again ;P

Since someone wanted to see the sketch, here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zynic

OK here is what you can do if you do not have a direct reference. It does not matter if the Pic is of a black person.

This is what you need to do.
    1. Find some images on the net of black people to reference the skin tone and how light works reacts to darker skin tone.

2 find an image of a guy holding a bat similar to your guys pose (race of the bat holder does not matter). This will help you get a better idea of what an actual person looks like as far as positioning of body what parts show and how to best illustrate the anatomy.

3. Find an image of an Actual Aluminum bat use this reference to get the proportions of your bat more accurate.

4. If you can not find any of these things get a friend or some one use a tick for a bat and pose that person the same way as your image.

5. Concentrate on light and shadow.

More importantly concentrate more on developing your drawing skills with pencil meaning you must practice and draw from life as often as possible. The more you draw the better you will get at rendering, this is the most important thing to do Before you move to rendering on the computer. I have done a very quick sketch over just so you get an Idea of what people are saying. exscuse the slopiness I am at work and do not have much time.

Good start and interesting concept Kind of looks like a hip hop, break dancing, punk rocker, baseball player.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jn2art
    The paintover and tips are much appreciated!
    I only colour things because it's fun, so I use it as a "break" from drawing, rather than a rendering method ;D
    I'm already working on a small robot-painting, and I think you'll see a WIP of it later tonight.
    I'll study some anatomy and do some real life drawing tomorrow

Once again, thanks for the comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem glad i could help.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Checked out your sketch book too. good start. I see you have already started doing some life stuff and studying some anatomy.
    Very good start.

Last edited by jn2art; August 24th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.