PAST dsg needs help!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PAST dsg needs help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

PAST dsg needs help!

Hello over the past month dsg has windled down. The artists who used to post vigoriously aren't even showing up now. Dsg has lost it's new car scent.

We need ideas to make the dsg more interesting idea. So, I come to the community that made dsg what it is. I come with an opened mind.

What do YOU think could be done to help make dsg come back to life?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kill my teachers

seriously, some people like me are just missing them because of school/work.

Maybe a "Best of DSG"-gallery (where the artists are.. kinda honoured) on the new site and announcements on the index-page will help (w/ direct link to the gallery and a link to the DSG-board)

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we need to get craig mullins to post here

thad get some peoples attention

"HUGBIES!!!!"-freakazoid

my art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We already have some big artist who has been here : hardcorepix, frost(who still post :p) Glen Southern... not bad, since there's normally 5,6 pics each days.

One thing to consider is that we are at the end of the school year for some of us - hard time for them :p

Davi a thing that could help is a webirc - not everyone as the time nor the envy to dlw mirc/ircle and so on... I dunno if asylum irc has one(since most network have one).

I hope I can try some next weeks... If I'm not busy :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sparth, bengal and prometheus participated as well

But I understand that they have to work and want a bit social life after it

I think it just needs to become more popular through the new fantastic site.
    (as I said, together with this gallery etc...)
    cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with cucaracha, its not the idea, its popularity. people dont have time to participate every day so there have to be more people. I'm just trying to encourage friends to participate, too. If everybody gets one more person to participate sometimes, dsg would flourish once more! God, I'm so smart!

I'm damaged, and I like it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second that stuff about the end of the school year. I've loads of exams now.

PLus, IRC stuff, waht's with that? I'm not mega into all the techy stuff and I can't be bethered seing how to get IRC working on my mac or wahtever I need to do or needs to be done. (I don't even know what irc is. something about online chat like AIM is it? something liek that.)
    Could be simplifed by taking this part out of the picture.

Maybe if the sketch group threads are open for new posts each day rahter than just a couple hours each day. I think i already read somewhere else about how people's opinions vary on this issue and so I'll just shutup to avoid the risk of getting some emphatic opposition.

I don't post in DSG and never have for the following main reasons: I only discoevered this recently (during exam time -- not enought time); I don't know when they being and start and when i'm supposed to upload the times don't necessarily match my free time; I know nothing about this irc stuff which I get the impression is an intergral part of the DSG; I dunno when or how long it's all going on for... well look, I think maybe it's over complex. There are too many conditions controlling the way it works: so in short I think it needs to be simplified.

I am likely wrong so feel free to ignore
    me.

Like, if DSG was simply a new speedpainting themed thread each day I can't see how it would worsen -- compared to the current state of minimal particiaption at least.

It would certainly get me posting if I knew that all I had to do was paint a speedpaiting/sketch based on today's theme and stick it up on the web.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fred,

here´s a link for you that can help you with your Mac and that worked with mine: http://www.shadowirc.com/ . IRC is a kind of chatsystem - oldfashioned and anarchic but it works. Every information you need you should find in the "sticky" section of the DSG-Forum.

I think for many professionals (and I´m counting myself a little bit into this direction as one of the notorious AD´s from hell) there´s always the time-problem. When DSG starts here in EU (9 pm - in GB 8 pm) I often just come from work and my Lady wants to lead some kind of social life (can´t imagine why, but she sometimes even wants to talk to me before sleep ). For other working people who sometimes even have a family there´s the same prob. I suppose in the beginning there have been more professionals around because the DSG-thing was new and exciting. But one day "normal" life comes in and you have to set priorities.

At the moment there´s for me a kind of mental barriere to post lately when the DSG is over. There are often interesting topics but maybe we should encourage people to post after the official DSG so we can get more entries even if they are not in time.

I personally will participate again from time to time when I´ve got some breath for it - hopefully after Pentecost.

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

danielh68 Guest
    I've noticed the dwindling submissions, and it's a shame. It's been a two or three weeks, but yesterday I finally posted a couple of pieces. I personally don't have any excuses, I feel I can always muster up 15 or 20 mins. out of my day for something I love to do. However, I do agree with Capt Fred about the timeframes: I hardly ever submit my piece on time because of my choatic schedule. I really don't see why that should be important. I mean, when you start getting more people posting on DSG saying "Man, I'm too late again and I really like this topic...oh, well next time." instead of posting pics...something is wrong. Frankly, I post mine anyhow. The whole point is to improve your skills and share your ideas. Unless there's an official judge and jury, I feel the hour contraints should be replaced with a daily theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DSG is one of the features I joined for so i could improve myself, but when it starts I'm taking care of my Daughter and my evening free time sometimes wont start until 8:30pm (mountain). So if it was encouraged to post, even late, as metioned before, I know I would try to join in. When ever i could get on in the evening, I could see the DSG subject for the first time and time myself and post it. It would just have to be on an honor system. There are no prizes anyway so if someone cheated and took longer than an hour and a half they would just be cheating themselves. Just my thoughts about what would help me to be a part of this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I may not be someone who posts often, but I check the DSG every day (twice really). I sometimes work on the topics for my own practice, but I dont post them because I am still learning, and want to take my time. I really wish that the groups were just for the day, and not a set time frame. Just change the rules so that entries can be posted throughout the day, but leave it up to the poster to say how much time they spent (or put a cap on the amount of time you can spend). I think this would help a lot. I know many people see the topics too late, but would post something if they still could/ thought people would still be checking the posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    End of school year I don't have much time and when I do it may not always be at 9 at night *hint*hint* I'm just suggesting an extension of subimission times...just an idea, but in about 3 weeks I'll be posting almost every night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I apologize, Ive simply been way too lazy to participate in recent DSG, and really want to get back into it. After school finishes I promise I will work harder.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Throw a topic up in the morning, let people do it when they have the time. Lock threads at beginning of next day. ??

jus' an idear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I agree with Jmascho.:cool:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm agreeing with Jmascho as well, but im sure as hell gona participate in DSG no matter what as soon as i get a new scanner, cuz I dropped a printer on my old one...:bash: and that's been a major reason why i'd never really posted any art since i registered.

Don't Try Dat in my Bayou...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the daylong DSGs arent a bad idea either...wed get a way bigger turn out, and we wouldnt have to have the DSG|EU. Say no to segregation. Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    word brother...

Don't Try Dat in my Bayou...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I like most on the DSG is the direct contact to fellow artists on IRC, speaking with them when they posted their work. You normally don´t get them together at one time in "normal" Chat-Mode.

Maybe a compromise would be to have "hard" dates for the original sketchgroup and one day afterposts ... maybe at least worth a try. If noone bothers anymore for the IRC than we could change completely to a daily mode. But so far I personally wouldn´t like to give up the DSG and DSG EU because otherwise I don´t have many possibilities to talk directly to other paticipants in the chat.

Fipse

<Insert witty remark here>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DSG lost me when the times shifted, it shifted to put the kid to bed timeslot

Same as Fipse, what I liked lots about DSG is the everybody suffering together in IRC and then seeing what everybody comes up with. It would be a shame to loose this. On the other hand there have been times where I wanted to post a pic after the fact. Compromise sounds good

A practical suggestion - have some indication of that we are in a DSG time slot at the moment, how many minutes left and the topic up on the web page so it is visible, say where the current DSG lnk is in the top right hand corner. Perhaps more people will jump in if they see that there is one when they surf past. That way they don't have to be connected on IRC either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a chat room on this website, so why do you choose to use IRC? I linked up for DSG a couple times on IRC, and frankly it just seemed like to much of a hassle for people not familiar with it. Why not just set up "Chat times" in the web based chat room as a stand alone thing, or just to go along with DSG?:confused:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really like IRC when I got it to work on my Mac and deleted it a long time ago. Don't have the time sometimes and scheduling would be wonky but I really just don't like IRC. Not that big a fan of chat room things anyway. Perhaps a daily theme or even a weekly one would be cool. I know I am new and it is just my 2 cents but there you go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with shade of green. if we're going to have artist to artist contact it should be fairly easy to do. down with IRC in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to throw my hat in the DSG ring as well, and at the risk of being redundant, I also have a time schedule that does not allow me to log into IRC at the specific times. I do check the DSG first thing in the morning and later at night so the idea of the topic posted early and locking the posts at midnight would be great.

So the question is: Has a decision been made? And, what is it?

To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I for one, love IRC and think thats its a big part of the DSG, though not all of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The DSG is one of the main reason i visit this site...time factor`s the reason why i hardly attend,im sure its the same with alot of others out there too....1 suggestion,maybe hold a topic for 2-3 days or more...many a time ive gotten ready 4 work,quickly looked up to see what the DSG topic is so i can psyke myself up.lol,long day of work,come back home an tada, the topics changed!!..result is alot of middle finger movement..then some sleepytime...then the nasty cycle starts over again.

ah well

Rusty

Last edited by Rusty; June 7th, 2003 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    irc takes a total of 15 seconds to log onto (hardly a hassle)

and for everyone making excuses that they dont have time

why dont you just do the topic at ANY point in the day and post it late

the most important thing is that your excercising your brain and wrist on a concept everyday--even if you can only make 30 min for it

Im not dissing people that have full time jobs doing art--i know it can be difficult to do extra art on teh side--but all the people posted in this thread cus they seceretly feel guilty for not contributing more often

DSG is just a great way to force yourself to do a new concept everyday
    Its like working out/exercise--if you have a strict regiment/schedule that you stick to your gonna get results
    faster

BTW davi--you could post more often too

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

daily sketches

Hi everyone. I am very new here... I just found the site and signed up for it.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that we have the day to submit our works. When I read, "daily sketch group," I was turned on by the idea of getting inspired daily just to draw and keep up my skills. Upon hearing that we have only an hour at a specific time of the day I was turned off. Honestly the only reason I even signed up was because you allow late submissions and someone started this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad you signed up....that's one cool avatar. what's it from?

danielh68 Guest
    So, will there be any changes due to this thread? It sounds like there's a lot of us that would prefer to have a real daily thread....meaning the artist has a span of 24hrs to post their one hour sketch. Do the higher powers plan to take action or, is this thread just a debating exercise?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.