C.O.W. - #057: Secret Of The Bermuda Triangle - Voting! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supervlieg

16 12.50%
  • KaWaii

0 0%
  • br0kk

0 0%
  • cognition.sb

5 3.91%
  • Blue_Tiger

2 1.56%
  • Chuck Wadey

8 6.25%
  • Cloister

0 0%
  • Ninth

56 43.75%
  • Stephan_R

17 13.28%
  • Michael Jaecks

0 0%
  • yAdam

3 2.34%
  • ArtZealot

1 0.78%
  • JakkaS

20 15.63%
  • steve_huge

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. - #057: Secret Of The Bermuda Triangle - Voting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wtf?`how should i make it better?maybe the image is under the needed level for this competition but i think of myself as had gone to my personal limit during making this picture and dunno how to make it much better

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked most of these.
    I have a soft spot fpr cognition.sb´s creature and both ninth as well as jakkas did superb rendering on their paintings.
    Chuck W, dig the feel of your piece. Very interesting view.
    In the end I went with the best creature concept. And as much as I like some of the other creatures in this thread the vote is yours by far, Stephan_R.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, like i mentioned earlier I plan to step up my submissions... in the rendering on my own pieces and crits on others' work. SO I'll start here:

Jakkas: Your colors, lighting and proportions are always incredibly convincing and yet whimsical. I definitely look forward to your submissions, but also you're one of the few that I'm afraid of as well... as in, I'll stare at it and get pissed about my own work

Steve Huge: THe size and design are almost too close to ticks for me to feel like they're much different. Nice idea though, I like the creatures that defy your first thought of the topic.

Supervlieg: Your "size comparison" and your lighting is flippin fantastic! I love the angles and energy you always choose in your pieces. The background carrier and body were a tad distracting with the grey tone but hey I have no idea what a creature of that size would look like from that height so I went with it and enjoyed your creature for the above reasons.

KaWaii: Something about this guy makes me laugh, reminds me of the Spongebob movie where the creature with the grama tongue attacks them. If you spent a little more time on the "texture of the skin" and lighting i think you would have really done well. Crazy situation

brokk: I like the 70s-80s film feel this has, like someone else mentioned. The pastel style is interesting. I'm personally not crazy about designs on creatures that don't feel believably functional BUT it's whatever the artist feels that's important. Pretty good piece overall.

Cog: For some reason this piece felt a little muddier than what I'm used to seeing from you. For me personally I'd have liked to see the water sparkling off the creatures skin or the lighting and tentacle really be the brightest most colorful area to focus on. Either way, kickass slimy creature design and layout!

Blue_Tiger: I think if you would have rendered it a bit more, given it some more of your creative luvin you would have played the "fun" card pretty strong. I like the idea actually, and maybe just needed a little more polish on the environment rendering and lighting overall. Keep those quirky ideas coming mate.

Chuck Wadey: I always feel like I'm looking at a detailed comic book when you submit something. There's solid proportions, and yet a fun color scheme and sketchy feel to your work. I enjoyed glancing around your canvas... luvin the details and bug creatures. I do agree with someone who said that the creature doesn't necessarily feel like the focus, but enjoyable anyway.

Cloister: Like i mentioned earlier, I like the idea.. like the colors and the white outline example. The final creature felt too much like a tree, and not so much like it belonged in the ocean to me. I look forward to your next one

Ninth: Just beautiful mood, colors, lighting. I like the creature, but not nearly as much as the shedding skin idea and the ancient ship. The creature did feel a bit similar to so many other creatures in films and on here BUT having said that it's rendered so well with such great movement and energy that it stands strong. You have my vote as well... great peice overall. I usually base my vote on a character or creature that I like so much that I wouldn't mind see "another" picture of it or even in a video game or something.

Stephan_R: pfft,you can do better

Michael Jaecks: I really, really like your idea. The rendering felt a lil muddy for my taste, but I like the design.

yAdam: You know the more I stare at this piece I really love it! If you would have polished the water a bit more and not made the background so busy this would have seriously been right up there for the win. I love the colors, teh teeth, and eyeball triangles!! sweet.

ArtZealot: I like the scale, but it felt more like a ship to me than a creature.. maybe it was the spikes and torn cloth at the top? I like the water, boat and birds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote is for Yadam.
    I like you considered the reasons for the creature never being seen and reflected them in the picture.
    The perspective gives a really good idea of size, and the triangles in its eyes are also a nice touch.

Brand new to the forum and short on time, will give a proper crit nxt time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was one awesome round to watch! There are several pieces here that I really didn't have any crits for. Maybe I'm just not in a very critical mood, or maybe they really are that good.

Supervlieg- This is a really cool picture! You took a chance there with the extreme view, but I think it paid off. This picture has a great sense of texture. There are also lots of little details that I find really pleasing, like that cluster of horns on its snout, the whiplike curve of its tongue, and that explosion on the inside of its cheek. The only nitpick I can find is the jet trails of the airplane to the right. It just doesn't look as good as the rest.
    Kawaii- You had an interesting story, but there are some problems with the picture. First of all, the creature is nothing but a big ol' round mouth. Give it some features and anatomy! Plus the red highlights on the ocean don't really look right. On the plus side, the plane looks pretty cool, and you captured a nice, very dark mood.
    brokk- These remind me of the pyramid aliens from "Kung Pow." Anyway, nice rendering and your creature design is basically good. However, your style in drawing the creatures seems overly tight and rigid. I don't feel much movement coming from them. My advice is to try out doing more loose and exaggerated drawings. Another crit: the horizon is a little bit curved. The ocean and lightning strikes look pretty good, though.
    cognition.sb- I liked your first creature better. I think that's because it was more recognizable. This creature just doesn't have many recognizable features. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. That's not to say that it isn't well rendered, though. The clouds and lightning are also excellent, as is the forming wormhole.
    Blue_Tiger- I like the description and the goofiness, but the picture wasn't very successful. Like others said, its rather flat, and the blue green portal isn't very attractive. I do like the roiling clouds around the portal, though.
    Chuck Wadey- This is an incredible picture, but I feel like it belongs more in the Finally Finished section than CoW. It's very busy, and the focus is not nearly as much on the actual creature as it should be. It's still a great pic, though.
    Cloister- Very interesting and original design, and pretty creepy, too. Nothing jumped out at me to critique, either. Pretty cool!
    Ninth- Excellent picture all the way around. You are quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with! The creatures have a gnarled, barbed quality about them that I really like. The little blue bio-lights (to borrow a term from Expedition) were a nice touch as well. This is one to seriously consider when voting.
    Stephan R- Wonderful depiction of transparency and glinting sunlight. The ocean looks pretty good as well. Something about the creatures' design strikes me as "real", somehow, even if they are obviously fantastical.
    Michael Jaecks- Nice picture, and even better description! I for one love all the pseudoscience that gets packed into your descriptions. That's what science fiction is made of. Anyway, like I said, nice picture. The textures are especially good. My only crit is that the ichor looks fairly flat compared to the rest.
    yAdam- Like other people have said, you captured a really nice, dreadful mood in this piece. The triangular eyes were a really nice touch. My favorite part is the creature on the left, specifically the eye and its reflection on the water. Nothing to crit, really.
    ArtZealot- I love the humorous description on this one. The end part, about it having too children, somehow strikes me as funny, like you're talking about just some person rather than a three thousand year old floating monstrosity. Anyway, the pic is pretty nice, but the flat, whitish highlights had an unfortunate flattening effect. The blue of its eye could have been a touch brighter as well.
    JakkaS- This is one incredible piece of work! I think it's your best yet. It's just detail upon detail, and the colors are fantastic. It's pretty much between you and Ninth this round, and I'm tending towards this one. Excellent job!
    steve huge- I like the creature design on this one. They actually look like real microscopic animals. It's somewhat of a shame there's no color, though it works pretty well as a black and white image.

As for me, I promise to do more than a little pen sketch for the next round. I promise! I don't want to be seen as some sort of "CoW poser" or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maoi: Thanks. Maybe I should switch to writing. But you know what? I've made two of you use the word "ichor" in a sentence now, and that was my evil plan all along. To teach people all the funny vocabulary I learned playing Dungeons and Dragons as a kid. This weeks highly explosive entry will include "visage" as in "Compared to other devils she had a comely, if diabolical, visage."

Now...if you can get "ichor," "comely," AND "visage" in the same sentence you score ten points...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the comments/crits everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan_R
    Cog: For some reason this piece felt a little muddier than what I'm used to seeing from you. For me personally I'd have liked to see the water sparkling off the creatures skin or the lighting and tentacle really be the brightest most colorful area to focus on. Either way, kickass slimy creature design and layout!
    You're exactly right and that's what I'm kicking myself about. I rendered the creature by itself first then added an environment. Consequently, I had to re-light it a bit. It ended up being a bit washed out... Still trying to find a decent rendering technique :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had to vote for jakkas.
    Love the colors, and the creature itself. It's also a lot more dynamic than the stuff you normally paint...which is awesome. That's what I really admire about you, Jakkas, is that you are always striving to improve your stuff, even though it is already awesome.
    Enough said, yAdam, and Ninth came close second and thirds, but Jakkas' creature was a lot more clear in its design to me.
    yAdam, something about yours really caught my eye, and I think it's the setup and the sense of scale, which is very good. It could be better finished, those clouds could use some love, as well as the water pouring out of the creature's maw. I think finishing these two things would give it an extra level of believability.
    Ninth, great concept, and as always fantastic execution, but I have seen some of your other creatures, and this one is somewhat reminiscent of other stuff you have done. You definitely have a strong style, and it's good, but this time my vote went elsewhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine went to Stephan_R. Simple and effective, and there's something about it's palette thta really pleases me. And the light thru the water is lovely done.
    Nice entries everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted Ninth.

most times I wish I had another vote or 2 to give. Jakkas would get one too in that case.

It's interesting what different people respond to. Much as I respect the rendering in JakkaS entry, it's a little over the top for my taste. Then again, one of my favorite entries he did (3 eye, blue fur) got several comments about it not being his best work, too simple. All that being said, I always feel a little guilty when I don't cast the vote for him.

Lots of great work!- wish I had time to add more than the occasional comment. Always checking in as Michael Jaecks noticed. CoW is my bookmark to CA- and my favorite of all the fora.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by corspufo
    Have you ever thought about a career in art?
    Can we have this in bold and 4 sizes larger??? Please....

Quote Originally Posted by fughi from yuggoth
    wtf?`how should i make it better?maybe the image is under the needed level for this competition but i think of myself as had gone to my personal limit during making this picture and dunno how to make it much better
    I looked ad your Sand Hunter and Planet Devourer, they are way better than the entry for this round...it's my personal opinion, but that's the way how i see it and really try to concentrate on design first, look for shapes, try out, change, make many thumbnails and choose the best one to start your rendering and working out details based on your concept...start coloring after you are satisfied with the lineart or design...maybe it makes no sense now but you will see after a certain amount of entries how you will improve...even with being rejected now and maybe some times in future...heads up, pencils out and keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Thanks everyone for the comments on my entry. I am a tough-skinned creature, so don't hesitate to use the fat calibers on my stuff. It is more than welcome!

Sorry for not commenting on all the entries. I realize now, it's the only desent thing to do, at least if you participate yourself - Communication and Courtesy. Next time I will choose the nobler approach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks
    Now...if you can get "ichor," "comely," AND "visage" in the same sentence you score ten points...
    "Welcome to final round of the Tri-County Spelling Bee! Our first three words are 'ichor,' 'comely', and 'visage'!"

"Martha! Could you get the dictionary and look up ichor, comely, and visage for me?"

"In my home country, we have no words for ichor, comely, or visage."

"Aw, shucks. Another vocab test. Hey, anyone know the definitions for ichor, comely, and visage?"

I could go on, but I think forty points is enough for one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks
    You should lay of the ichor MJ, that visage of your avatar isn't quite as comely as it used to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to Stephan_R...I really enjoyed some of the other entries, but it was the concept of this one that got me. It just makes sense to me that large, deadly predators should be almost invisible to be able to keep up their charade.
    I came very, very, very close to voting for Ninth. I loved your concept as well, and the details of the image are very well done. Another runner up was JakkaS, extremely well-rendered. You guys made it hard to choose!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and comments Chuck Wadey, Supervlieg, Ninth, cognition.sb, Stephan_R, and Moai. I agree with all your crits, they are spot on. Thank you for commenting and critiquing everyone's entry!

Man what a hard round to vote, I liked all the entries, but I had to narrow it down to Stephan R, Ninth, Supervlieg, and JakkaS. Brilliant entries, but since you can only vote for one, I went with Supervlieg's. Great action, and the scale is tremendous. Its a great image Supervlieg, I used to imagine gigantic sea creatures like that when I was younger. Good work everyone, see you next round!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have voted for JakkaS because his creature is really cool. I like also like the creature of Ninth but I prefer the one painted by JakkaS because it is more original. The creature of Ninth looks like a devil fish with a snake tail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to drop a note:

Once COW started with an incredible understanding of help and communication from the members to each other. It made COW so special and another reason - besides that creatures are awesome anyway, hehe - why it was successful and got its little brothers and sisters with EOW, ChOW and IDW...

There were some moments when the c&c got down and members didn't interact with each other as before...

But since a few weeks i feel the spirit of the beginning and i enjoy how you all give c&c and notice that it is one of the most important aspects of this activity...old regulars who gave crits and were valuable participants left (and maybe will come back), but new ones came and they filled the gap and continue with the good work...

So thank you for supporting COW and showing what it's all about actually!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me, it's between Ninth and Stephan_R....I find that teh concept of the ddangers of the BT are really well done and I find that they also followed the idea of not having just a single creature but a group minded creation. Not only that, but despite their deadly natures, the creatures are beautifula nd I'm a sucker for beauty...XD

Everyone has made some great crits, so I won't bother seeing as I'll just be repeating what they said *lol*

My bote in the end...............Ninth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervlieg
    You should lay of the ichor MJ, that visage of your avatar isn't quite as comely as it used to be.
    LOL. Acutally... cant stop LOL is more like it. ...

okay I can't even type, I'll respond to this later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Stephan_R because the creature design fits all of the stories and books I read while doing a research paper on the Bermuda Triangle back in high school. The pilots and captains never saw what was happening until it was too late. Also, most of the Triangle incidents happened in daylight. So...yeah.. =)

More Comments:

Cloister: I like the fact that your creature can attack without warning.

steve_huge: I love that your creatures can be the cause behind the disorientation pilots experience after they have been flying for too long over the ocean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All righty. Now that I've retrieved my guts from SVs inspired laugh-fest, I'll continue the spirit of constructive crits:

well thats odd all the entries show up out of order now.. oh well

JakkaSiAlready voted for you so you know how much I love this piece. This one sort of washes away any crit anyone's ever given you for portraying a lot of your entries in profile. The man can do damn near anything, let him do whatever he wants!

Steve Huge I love the light of the electron microscope so much it just makes me wish you had rendered the critters in the same way to trick me into thinking they were real. I like that someone else saw the potential for something small to wreak havoc in the Triangle. Nice concept.

Supervlieg MJ says Sham on, sham on. HOO! The textures here seem a little out of balance and its screwing with the epic scale of the space a bit. The noise of the critters texture against the noise of the blue water is too close in feel. Other than that, you try things with space that would scare me to do. I'm still working on getting an animal's feet to look like they're really on the ground. Plus you earned your ten points and made me spit the ichor out of my not so comely visage's many orifices.

KaWaii The plane making a dead center bee-line for the mouth is really great, I just wish the mouth looked deeper. There's something very spooky in that red glint in its eye. I like that a lot.

brokk There's something really pleasingly (how do I say this) wooden? stiff? about this painting. That's not a veiled dis, I mean it when I say I like it. In a lot of contemporary fine art these days, there a trend in figurtive art where the artist intentionally screws with the rendering of space to make it look pre-renaissance.. old and religious. That's what this looks to me, even as alien as it is... old and religious. Its got a little Lovecraftiness to it as well. Thats never a bad thing.

cognition.sb There used to be this girl in my high school art classes named Kathy. God I hated her. She could take a piece of watercolor paper, throw paint at it from across the table, hatch at it with a razor blade a few times and come out with a landscape with the all depth of a Turner like every single time. That was what speedpainting was like in 1985. And you piss me off almost as bad.

Of course, only in the best way possible. Your entry this round has such a nice mix of mystery and really tight specificity. If that boldly designed petal wormhole thing is what I can see, what the hell is under those clouds and water? Really nice.

Blue Tiger I think its really great when somone enters something like this. I just love it when someone takes not taking it seriously so seriously. Or seriously take it not seriously. Or seriously not-- oh fuck it--makes an effort at being humorous. Your water looks like blue fur.

Chuck Wadley Oh for heavens sake, stop posting here and go get paid tons of money already. The 50s pulp fiction feel is really great. I'm looking for a crit...still looking.....still looking.... ......

the lower part of the window pane in the cockpit looks a little rough. That's all I got.

Cloister Your palette is so dark and subdued. Its really pleasing. Both this entry and your new explosive one. And a real stillness.

Ninth Stormy, epic.. again I think of Turner. You're a real romantic. Whirling force of nature. The raw power that can only be witnessed and withstood and weathered, but never stopped. Except in a painting, which is I think what Turner was up to as well.

Stephan R again the transparencies are really great, and the whole thing is so ballsy because its lit in full sunlight. Mysteries don't always happen at midnight.

Jaecks You are aware of the fact that there are more that three brush choices in PS, right? Please feel free to try them. There's more to life than hard round, pastel and ink blot. It really makes me think of an alien penis. Seek therapy. And change that stupid avatar; you're giving Fozzybar the hives.

yAdam The magma tears running down its face are really poetic. "They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains the hottest blood" --Whales Weep Not, DH Lawrence (if I'm quoting my Star Trek reference correctly) These whales do, however. Rough, elemental, and the strings in its mouth are perfect.

ArtZealot If the highlights on the shaded side were a little less chalky looking, I would almost think this picture was a photograph. The design is so chaotic and alien, I think I know what it is, and then I have no idea, and it just looks spooky real and so outside my sense of what is possible at the same time. I feel sorry for it. I at first read those spikes as lines in a net; I thought someone had captured it. But its stuck in the prison of its own making it seems.

...what a melancholy note to end on.

Well done everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MJ: Ichor, hehe. Thanks for the crits. Good points about the textures, Ill keep an eye on it next time.

Fozzybar: Thanks for keep this place so well organized and smoothly running, compliments to you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for the compliment and for actually participating in every part of COW

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've added my vote on JakkaS's work...it looks very spectacular an the creature design is just amazing.
    Supervlieg make very spectacular work too...i like the perspective in his artwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Ninth - I think that this pic has the best mood. But it was hard to decide...

Supervlieg and Jakkas also did marvelous pieces... Chuck Wadey's piece is great too, it has cool oldschooll touch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.