Jubilee Re-Designed.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jubilee Re-Designed.

Redesigned for a draw-off at another forum. This is my idea of how I'd like to see Jubilee portrayed in comics one day perhaps. She's had her costume completely re-done except for the gloves. And I gave her a hair cut and a race change. I can only think of Storm and Bishop, so I figured I'd add a 3rd black x-men. She's also been aged from 13 to 17 since she's been 13 since like 1980 somethin... Completely done on Wacom. Enjoy.

Completed.
    Jubilee Re-Designed.

Wacomed Pencils:
    Jubilee Re-Designed.

Artsta Design! (Updated Feb 17th, 2007!! 2 New Sketches + 1 New Portrait Added!!!)
    (Now taking Comissions!!)

--------------------------------
    Nar Comic Underworld Forum!!! (Come Join!!!!)

--------------------------------
    Need a Lawyer? Click Here!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wrong section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitely..

first, the good: the proportions are allright, the pose too..

on to the bad: the face (facial expression) needs more work, the pose itself seems a little stiff/boring and the anatomy needs a little more work. another thing would be the quality of the lines.. try to vary the lineweight so get some more energy in there.

next: the clothes.. study clothing- how it folds, how it behaves how light reacts with different materials etc.

as for the colouring: stay away from that for a while. learn how light and shadow behave first and choose a clear lightsource (right now it seems as if she is being flooded with light by a whole wall of lamps in front of her). do some greyscale lightstudies on her to see what works best for you.

dont use the airbrush tool, experiment with different brushes and brushsizes. when you have found your own style and gained a little more experience, you can try to incorporate some airbrush techniques to "polish" your work. until then i recommend not using that tool at all.

when you have learned to use values, lightsources and so on, you can move on to using colours... in that field you seriously need a lotta training. I recommend browsing the tutorials section of CA to get some information on those issues.

sorry to say that, but you have a long way to go.. dont be discouraged though. your work is pretty good for starting out. with some extensive training you should see the improvements on your art in a few months.

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artsta
    I can only think of Storm and Bishop, so I figured I'd add a 3rd black x-men.
    She's not black, she's orange.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Etienne definitely said everything that needs to be said,so definitely listen to him...Stay away from the burn tool and airbrush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whats the airbrust tool? do you mean the brush tool, feather burshes, or the "enable airbrush capabillities" button?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adam278:

Jubilee Re-Designed.

i mean that one (ps6 -version.. I dont own any newer version, but i'm used to ps6, so I dont care)... in combination with the standard soft brushes, that tool really can seduce a beginner to fuck a picture up to a certain extent (the pic here is one example, but there are worse), because it seems to make "shading" so easy...

truth is, that I myself relied too much on that tool (and lensflares ) when I started out, so I'm talking from experience when I say that one should know his stuff before going wild with that one.

hope that answered some questions...

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the brush engine introduced in PS7, airbrush is an option that can be enabled for any brush (it effects how color is layed down), not a separate tool.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    elwell: thanks for clearing that up... was already asking myself maybe I should test the newer PS versions someday...

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what might help is taking some time to add wrinkles to the clothing. The lack of them are working against the lightign which needs some help as it is. When you look at the pic right now, it looks like a bunch of cylinders.

Another thing is her glowing razzle dazzle. Light bursts and things like that sho9uld never be outlined, in my opinion. It creates a very closed off feeling, and seems like a solid object.

I think with some re-tooling of certain things, the pic could come out alright I dig the fishnets and the boots. I think the costume works well for a comic book charcter of that age.

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    typically, bold adjacent colors in a costume are hard to pull off, and this costume is no exception. since you have blue, id stay away from purple or green, especially high-sat ones like yours. for most color schemes, i would go with the traditional approach and say that the most successful combinations are of one color, (black, blue, green, purple, red, red-orange) and a metal (white, yellow, yellow-orange), with one being prevalent and the other being accent. Take the traditional x-men costume, navy with golden yellow. very nice traditional color scheme, and Van Gogh's idea of beauty (though i doubt that factored into the design of the characters).

color schemes and the theory that goes into them is much more intense than that, but it would take hours to type and im sure you can find it yourself since the internet is so big, and the traditional suggestion i gave always turns out nice, strong color schemes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her pose overall is very stiff and her glasses perspective looks odd. I also think you should learn to colour and blend using harder brushes. This looks so soft and airbrushed and the airbrush offers results but they look... airbrushed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.