Sketchbook: .: Big American Party :.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow .: Big American Party :.

Last edited by max xiantu; July 12th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Max,
    I’m unfamiliar with the Dodson book, but drawing from life like that is the best way to go. Just keep doing it every day and you’ll improve by leaps and bounds.

Good luck!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now now Seedling, don't make promises we can't keep! Keep drawing from life and there's a CHANCE you'll improve, albeit probably really really slowly.

Those sneakers show you have the patience to draw. So go ahead and give it a shot, maybe you'll turn out to be talented at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the comments. Patience is definitely one of my few advantages right now.

I picked up a few different softer pencils and started messing around with them. Drawing with a 5B is kind of like painting with a pencil. I dig it.
    Attachment 16019

I've been wanting to get into alot of things with drawing, but I tend to feel overwelmed. Especially by my desire to participate in the DSG. So, I started going as simple as possible and I'm just focusing on line quality and seeing.
    It's funny how something so simple can allow for so much.
    (There's many pages of this, but just a few here ...)
    Attachment 16020
    Attachment 16021

I feel a little more comfortable with the pencil and drawing with my eyes on the object and less on the paper.
    Starting to come together a bit ...
    Attachment 16022

I appreciate all comments and suggestions for more exercises/stuff to draw.
    Thanks,
    max:.

Last edited by max xiantu; February 20th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Max.

As for suggestions for more exercises/stuff... I saw you got yourself an anatomy book. Very good idea, start drawing from it. Just don't try to learn it all from start to finish, muscle by muscle, it'll slow you down. Instead, try getting a rough idea of the whole picture and work from there. Practice the parts that you feel (or other people tell you) are your weakest. Analyse your drawings and ask yourself what's wrong and what you could have done better, find the mistakes, then never make those mistakes again. Keep on drawing from life, it always pays off. Draw draw draw, if you're doing it right, the more you draw the better you'll get.

And most importantly: Don't listen to me, I'm just a beginner myself.

Passion Rules Reason
    MY Sketchbook - My super inactive and not so cool SB, to be active and really cool sometime soon. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks for the comments Olle, very helpful.
    It was recommended by a friend that I check out the Art Student's League of New York, which I did, and I'm pretty excited that I'll be studying with Michael Burban 5 afternoons a week starting September 11.

I did a quick sketch with a new tool (Red China Marker) to celebrate ::
    Attachment 17435

I've continued to do the simple shape line work and it's helping temendously.
    Also making me realize I gotta study up on some perspective.
    Attachment 17434

As per the Dodson book, I'm did a partial copy of a Morandi etching in ink.
    Hatching is definitely time-consuming. I'm going to be doing an emulation of the style with my own still life tomorrow.
    Attachment 17436

I finally got into working from the Peck book. Did a rough of the skeleton front-view today. Anyone know how to get good scans of pencils without leveling like crazy in Photoshop?
    Attachment 17437

I'm going to finish this skeleton tomorrow, work out the details and such.
    Thank God for the simple line practice or this would've never happened.

Thanks for looking and any words you might have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good work. You seem well rounded in your study so just continue as you are.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff in here man. very fine job on the hands page- i suck at hands. my fav though is that enchanted tree. beautiful lines in that one. i see hints of that in some of your drawings, but i'd really like to see some more of that. keep up the great work Max

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank you both for the added encouragement. I appreciate it very much.

I spent alot of time doing the line study thing and I picked up a pocket sketchpad so I can do gestures and quick studies everywhere. It's big fun.

Here's some more hands (trying to do about 2 of these a day).
    Attachment 22611

The emulation of the Morandi etching I did the partial copy of. Doing a glass with all hatching in ink was very difficult. Any suggestions?
    Attachment 22612

I started studying with Burban at the Art Student's League yesterday. I learned a tremendous amount already, just drawing. And Burban's definitely a helpful and interesting teacher. Quite a character.
    From yesterday ::
    Attachment 22613
    Attachment 22614
    Attachment 22615
    Attachment 22616

I felt good about my first day in a life drawing class. No pressure, right?

These were some from today. I had a harder time drawing this woman, she put on an intense smile for each pose and it was a bit distracting. Something I have to get used to I suppose....

Attachment 22617
    rendering ?!?
    Attachment 22618
    Attachment 22619

Thanks for looking. All C&C very much welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome that you started taking lessons, doing real life drawings and stuff, wish I could do that.

The figure studies are looking good. The body parts are filled with anatomy problems but that's to be expected, I'm sure you'll improve fast if you use an anatomy book along with the life drawings. What really impressed me though is your heads. Seriously, I've studied the head much more then all the other body parts together and still it's the part I'm having the most trouble with. Getting them read kinda fast and with just a few lines, sheesh it's killing me. You're actually getting some of that on your first tries, my first heads sucked so bad it's not even funny.

Keep it up, the more you post the easier it is for others to crit.

Passion Rules Reason
    MY Sketchbook - My super inactive and not so cool SB, to be active and really cool sometime soon. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Olle. Art Student's League is great, I'm glad I have the opportunity.
    I'm about to dig in deep with the Peck anatomy book. I think that you're right; it will help tons.
    Funny that you say that about the heads, I thought that yours have some really great expression. That's the part I identify with easier, I'm still learning to read the body's expression.

2 more days at school ::
    - At the recommendation of Burban, I've been framing the quick studies in line in order to work on composition as well ...
    Attachment 23319

and a bit of improvement on the single-figure study since the previous day
    Attachment 23320

More framed quick ones from today...
    Attachment 23321
    and more single-figure studies from today
    Attachment 23322Attachment 23323Attachment 23325

i think I almost nailed the face on this one :
    (below- not thumbnailed)

I'm working on some master studies at home too, I'll post them soon for your crits and comments and whatnot.
    thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    any ideas why the last one is big and the rest are thumbnails?
    I used the attachment manager the same for all ...

Last edited by max xiantu; September 14th, 2006 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, kudos for your post in my book- laughed my ass off haha.

anyway, those life drawings are looking solid Max. especially for it just being your first time. how much time are you getting for these? my only tips for when it comes to life drawing is to use a ridiculous amount of plumblines. compare everything you can. the proportions are looking a tad off. so that should help a little. another thing that can help that is something i read in anthony ryder's book (i think he might even teach there- dude's an effin' stud). wrap the figure in an envelope. basically they're lines that wrap the figure. for example, you'd compare the angle from the top of the head to the shoulder. then you'd draw that same line on your paper. then you'd compare the shoulder to whatever else is furthest out. say it's his hand. compare the two, draw the line, and keep doing this until the figure is completely wrapped. should just be 6 or 7 lines maybe. it helps a lot with proportions. hope that's helpful at all. drawing naked people is one of my past times. love it. once you get used to it. i'm sure you're gonna be breakin' out some sexy stuff. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Framing figure drawings is a cool idea, I'd never thought about that. Really cool idea actually, I got to try that.

Looking good Max, keep it up.

Passion Rules Reason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here, getting very solid. Keep crankin' those studies

Rock on, looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sith :: Thanks for those tips. I tried out the enveloping thing and it seems to be helping, so I went ahead and picked up the Ryder book. You're right that guy is a pimp.

Olle :: Thanks again for the encouragement. The framing thing is real nice, it adds another dimension to my study.

Spats :: Thanks brother. I plan to rock the studies for the duration of this lifetime.

. . . . . . . . . .

Finished a whole week of study at the Art Student's League. I took advantage of the Ryder enveloping technique where I could (and remembered to), care of werdnA.
    Attachment 24437
    The perspective on this one was quite difficult. I gotta study up on that soon.
    Attachment 24438
    A little less distorted than usual ...
    Attachment 24439
    It's about time for me to seriously break into the Peck anatomy book. Especially with the hands and feet.

Just messing around with some prismacolor values, a quick study of some eggs and a dirty, messy sketch of my sleeping cat :
    Attachment 24444

Continuing the value studies, I got as technical as I could at my current level :
    Attachment 24441

One of the beautiful things about new york city is being able to pick up an intuos3 6x8 for less than 200 bones. this is my first try with the thing.
    (It's harder to use than I expected.
    Attachment 24442

and this is a partial study of Michaelangelo's 'Christ Rising from the Tomb'
    I could not quite capture the dynamic quality of the original, but upon further study it seems I needed to use more extreme angles and space the figures closer together. It was definitely fun and I learned more than I thought I would about composition, line and constructing the figure. I plan to do many more of these. Feel free to suggest a piece to study.
    Attachment 24443

Thank you for your time :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be sure to sketch publically. That should really help break the seeing issues you have (proportion, principally).

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya!

Nice value studies, didn't know a simple gradient could look that cool.
    Nice that you got yourself a wacom, now you're doomed (j/k). No, but really, it's hard like ***. I totally can't handle mine . I haven't got much experince in digital so I can't give much advice there. Try sketching with big brushes and value instead of lines if you feel you haven't got the same control as with traditional media, at least I find that a bit easier.

Awesome master studie, good sense of movement going on. Is it from the torso workshop over at CGtalk?

As for suggestions on pieces, I recommend trying out different things. Copying drawings is probably the easiest, we tend to see proportions and stuff like that better when there's less value in the way. Statues are great for value studies since there isn't any color. Full paintings is probably the hardest, but give those a try as well. ^^

Passion Rules Reason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're proportions are getting pretty damn spot. keep rockin' those lifers. you're only gonna get better.

p.s. lifer heads are lookin a tad tiny. just take them into photo shop and resize the heads a bit, and you should probably see it then

keep up the great work Max

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies. Most of them seem to have small heads and big rib cages though. Draw a lot from photos and try to start with basic shapes so you can compare and change proportions early on. Keep em comming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for keeping up on my book and positive words.

Listing :: Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna rock up on the trainstation sketches and whatnot a bit harder.

Olle :: I've just been practicing shapes and real basic things with the Wacom, but it's real fun. You did a nice job on your page with those cutout tutorial paintings. The Michaelangelo isn't from the CG posts, but I saw that in your book and I think I'm gonna get started on the 50 heads thing.

Sith :: Yeah, the heads are all cannibal sorcery style. I'm really focusing on the proportion. I'm gonna learn the traditional rules of it this week.

Marty :: Thanks for the tip about the shapes. I used it on the last drawing I posted today, I think it helped a bunch. I'm gonna hook up some photo ref to balance things out as well.

I've been looking at the Loomis figure drawing joint and trying to internalize the head measurement thing. I'll show you all what I've been doing with that soon. I also think alot of the distortion comes from sitting so close to the model, so there's this awkward semi-worms eye view going on that elongates torsos and shrinks heads. I gotta break the habit, but I think the rules will help.

These are some from Monday...
    Attachment 25568
    Attachment 25569
    Attachment 25570
    Attachment 25571

and from Tuesday, I'm getting a bit better at the one minute gestures ::
    Attachment 25572

And here I used a combo of the enveloping technique and building mass with shapes ::
    Attachment 25573
    Attachment 25574
    I think on the last one, the proportions are almost right(!)

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last from monday and the later ones are real nice. And those one minute gestures are a great exercise (also for proportion) because you get to draw so many figures in a short time. keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using the crotch as the center point of the figure is helpful for keeping proportions in check, however the more dynamic the pose gets the more useless the formal proportions become. I don't really know exactly where you're at with your skills, I'm to lazy to open up all those thumbnails, but one of the most important things to consider in drawing is form/volume which is organized with perspective. Looks like you've got talent, if you keep practicing and reading and thinking consistently, you'll progress quickly(relatively speaking, in art inching along is fast progress, lets all try for inch and a halfing along)

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marty Thanks. I will definitely keep cranking them out. I've been drawing about twice as much as I've been putting up, maybe more. And I guess, becoming more picky the more that I draw.

Armando Thanks for looking brother (I forgive you your laziness ) The crotch as center I only really found helpful when it was the midpoint, but it always serves as an anchor. I will keep drawing, studying and thinking, no doubt.

End of the second week at the Art Student's League. I think I'm beginning to internalize some of these principals of proportion and foreshortening, and I think my line might be beginning to look a bit less cartoonish. I gotta get crankin on those master studies Olle's been burnin through.

Attachment 27174

Attachment 27175

Attachment 27176

Attachment 27177

Attachment 27179

Attachment 27180

Took a break from the figure studies to do a tonal study from a Howard Search photo.
    Attachment 27181

Attachment 27182

Suggestions, crits and comments more than welcome, as per usual.
    Thanks yall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for leaving a comment mate - the last batch is looking very good. You're progressing heaps!

The tonal study off the photo is sweet - good figures also. Sorry I can't offer anything constructive, you're on the right path. V. soid stuff.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit.

I'm not sure you should keep on improving like this, showing major progress though every single post... the universe might implode you know.

j/k, you're rocking Max, keep that up.

Passion Rules Reason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving very quickly indeed! If you want to make your lines look less cartoony try using hard lines in less places. Where two (even more if curved) surfaces meet there's often a dark line but other lines can be lighter. Lines that are closer or on the shadow side of the silhouette can be drawn a bit darker than the others aswell. I find (esp. the heads of) the females in post #21 have a very nice sketchy quality to them. Geep improving at this rate and you'll soon be a great artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

let's build :.

Hey yall.

Olle and Spats :: Thank you very much. I feel like there are little ruts and plateaus, but I have no choice but to keep pushing through them.

Marty :: Thanks as well. I tried working on my line variation this week. Thanks for the tips. I always appreciate that type of thing.

Crazy week, so I haven't posted in about 5 days, but I finally got some time to sit down and scan ...

This week in life drawing, I tried to focus on loosening up, capturing some movement and work on my line.
    Some 1 minute gestures (my first time with charcoal : hard)
    Attachment 29873

5 minute with the charcoal. (I couldn't resist the pose and yes, i did lightly sketch in a superman logo and cape )
    Attachment 29874

A study of Michaelangelo's study for Adam. I think it's the same one Olle did for the CGSociety Torsos, but I ain't got the dope rendering like him, so I had to ape Michaelangelo's line. I learned bunches though.
    Attachment 29871

A tonal study of a crab shell I found at the beach
    Attachment 29872

This kinda is on the side of suck, but I'll put it up anyways, cos I did the whole thing straight off the Wacom. Sketch and crappy paint job. I definitely have to work harder on the painting in photoshop. Getting a saturated tone is way harder than I imagined.
    Attachment 29869

back to life drawing. I think the gestures, proportions and line are starting to come together a bit ...
    Attachment 29875
    that woman had so much personality, i wish I had the skills to capture it.

and this girl had some great poses :
    Attachment 29876
    Attachment 29877

and I leave you with a little collage action. I carry around a 3.5 x 5 inch sketch pad and do as many 20-30 second sketches as I can. These are some from the last 2 weeks. Roughly in chronological order, clockwise from the top left.
    Attachment 29870

This week marks the end of the first month of my intense study of art.
    It's been quite a blessing. Especially having class and you fine people here at cA I feel like I've learned to appreciate everyone's intrinsic and unique beauty on a much greater level, and I have also come to see even garbage (such as a perfectly crumpled wrapper) as a small miracle.
    Thank you all of you, who have stopped by here for the great encouragement and good vibes.

Now, onto more drawing ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheesh, definitley improving with every post. Try to draw some figures from memory using what you've learned from drawing life, and don't limit yourself to just short, timed sketches, it's nice to have some art you enjoy looking at rather than just studies .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment ,

Your really improving too, great life drawings! good luck

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.