Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey, max haven't checked by here in a little while or much of CA at all >.<. Still improving I see , studies and life drawings are always nice and you're showing you have the technical skill, but I still think it would be cool if you did some more of everything else! An enviro would be cool, and I know you can draw other things, so you should draw something like... an UBER psuedo monster thing now that you've improved some! Lol just a suggestion. Overall keep up the practice! Btw try to paint in PS occasionaly, it seems hard the first few times but after awhile it just starts to come to you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the gestures are very free, I like them. Have you tried using the other colors in the conte palatte? I like the hand studies, it looks like you can get a real nice shape of the hand in one minute.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Sorry about the wait... I don't consider myself a verbose person and thinking of/wording a good critique is pretty strentuous on my head

Anyway.

I really like the 'loose', relaxed feel of your latest post. I can gauge from most of your recent stuff that you're becomming a little more comfortable with human form. The gestures at the top are my favourite - they're very fluid, and the forms are solid.

I like your hand gestures, however, the lines seem a little messy & all over the place on your 1 minute gestures. The thing with gestures, I find, is to suggest as much form/light/volume as you can using minimal lines. Think about which lines are neccecary to convey the form, and which ones you can do without.

The train sketches look neat; I'm doing a project like it myself sketching faces I see on the bus every morning.

Keep at it... you are showing much progress!!
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    I saw your post with the reading list for Art Students League, I didn't know Gombrich was that popular. This chart stood out to me http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1161055220
    I'm not sure if you meant our individual progress or progress throughout art history. If you meant history then: This type of thinking is fairly popular both with artists and non artists, just read the philosophy of Art Renewal Center www.artrenewal.org. It implies that true art serves one unique purpose, and that illusionist art is it's culmination. But throughout history images have served various purposes, with the amount of realism varying according to the needs of the people making it. It has nothing to do with skill. Should read both of those Gombrich books. I'm currently reading his "Meditations on a hobby horse and other essays on the theory of art", but it's important to read the other two first.
    What does that Delacroix quote mean anyway? Sounds psychotic to me.
    Sketchbook

What is the right thing to do?

Thanks

oktober 25. 2006

What's happenin?

Kvick :: Thanks for all the kind words. As you'll see on this post, I've taken some of your suggestions ...

Matsign :: Thanks. I've only messed with the Sanguine as far as Conte goes. I plan to expand at some point when I have the disposable income.

Bunny :: Thank you for your in depth reply. I wonder what has happened to the rest of our SSG ? Anyways, the goal of the hand gestures was to get as loose as possible, and stop making the hands look so cartoony. My future gesture exercises will be more concerned with economy of line.

Armando :: The graph is meant to be for personal growth, but I suppose it could be applied to any history or progression (other than technological, which is surely straight logarithmic). I definitely will check out the Gombrich books. They sound good. The Delacroix quote is from his journals, I liked it because it reflects his romantic style and sounds reminiscent of the Eastern philosophy of the impermanence of things.

This past week I've been working through the Bridgeman books and doing a chock full of anatomy study. I'll post some of the more interesting stuff at some point perhaps.

Some pencil style ::
    Attachment 40383

Went down to the Japanese bookstore by Rockafeller Center and picked up a few Pilot Hi Tec C pens. They are as dope as everything you've heard. Now, to just learn more control ...
    some hatching ::
    Attachment 40382

some old skool illustration type thang ::
    Attachment 40384

I'm attempting to get more comfortable with the wacom and drawing on the computer in general. Here's some real late night crap sketch action in painter. (the background is the distress filter, which apparrently just turns things into roses)...
    Attachment 40380

And as per Kvick's request, and my own desires, I have begun my first attempt on a cA weekly activity. Creature of the Week 65, Trick or treat. Here is one of my many thumbnails. Scribbled this in photoshop. The piece has changed considerably since this one though. I'll post the progress shortly...
    Attachment 40385

Thanks peeps.
    m :.
    Last edited by max xiantu; February 20th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    the pencil one is nice except her forearm seems to be dislocated from the upper arm

the crosshatching on the pen drawing is nice, would like to see that finished

drawing on the wacom is so different from doing it traditionally, but you seem to be doing okay.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Good structure on the back view of the chick, yeah the arm does look dislocated, you probably noticed that after scanning. What I like about it is that simple blocky line moving down the left of her torso. Hatching looks good on the guy too, in getting it to read as tone and not little individual marks.
    Sketchbook

What is the right thing to do?

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the link it was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Thanks
    First off, I want to say that "zig-zag" graph, although obvious in retrospect maybe, really is a morale booster. I think it's even more evident (for me anyway) when playing guitar as some mornings you wonder if something happened with your nervous system over night.

Second, I enjoy watching you being varied both in style and in medium. The new pen looks awesome. Got to check it out some time.

Cheers for the link to bumskee's thread but alas I've already stumbled upon it You were right, your "garbage" increased my motivation jar that I keep on my back.

Let's see that COW entry!
    SSG 34
    gadammit it's
    The Selenium Six

..seer..alzorath..bunny..max xiantu..liquidjack..beershite..

Thanks
    Nice work, I love your studies.

Thanks
    It's always fun to check out your new stuff Max, you always post something completely new and interesting.

That Pilot Hi Tec C pen drawing is awesome, I would like to see some more of those. Looks like you're starting to get some comfort with that wacom as well, the heads are cool.

Now I'm awaiting an upgrade on the C.O.W
    Keep it up mate.
    Passion Rules Reason
    MY Sketchbook - My super inactive and not so cool SB, to be active and really cool sometime soon. ^^

Thanks
    Cool to see how much life drawing you're still getting in. These 1 minute jams are great. Doing a shit ton of those is good for ya. Like art push ups.
    Also, that Pilot Hi Tec C seems to treat you right, you'll tame that sucka in no time.

Thanks

halloween.

happy halloween.

oldNoobie :: Thanks. The forearm is actually just poor visual communication. The model is a double-jointed dancer (ooooooh) and she often poses with her arm bent inwards. I don't know how to effectively communicate that via drawing yet.

Armando :: Thank you.

rMore :: You are welcome.

Seer
    :: Thanks brother. I'm glad I can be of any kind of help. Sorry I couldn't help with the photoshop painting. I'm still trying to figure it out myself. As you'll see.

Frank :: Thanks.

Olle :: Thanks man. That's very kind of you. All of it. Be harder on me next time

Andy P :: Thank you as well. I will gesture the hell out of everything.

This is a small update. I finished the COW entry, but not in time to post it there. Which is okay by me, because it's definitely not up to par with what is going on over there. But I learned tons.

Here's the original pencils ::
    (I should've made them much tighter in retrospect)
    Attachment 42869

and here's the photoshopped version. I'm not sure how the colors look, the save for web feature in Photoshop clearly sucks.

Attachment 42870

After doing this(and watching the Bobby Chiu movies) I've decided to restructure my learning. I'm going to relax on the life drawing sessions a bit, just go 2x a week instead of 5x. I feel like my education has become very narrow. I tried to draw a suburban background on this piece and it was terrible. I have to round out my knowledge as I go along... perspective, landscapes, vehicles, etcetera etcetera.

As far as a self crit goes on this piece, I'm generally not feeling the result, although I enjoyed the process very much. I need to know how to better represent a figure in space and how to handle color, and tone and line, and i guess the list goes on. But this sure was an eye opener. I'll have to do these things all the time.

Thanks everybody :.

(oh. thumbnails came up again, anyone know how to disable that permanently?)
    Last edited by max xiantu; February 20th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    nice cow

Don't worry, a lot of people are in the same situation in regards to well rounded knowledge. It's too easy to stay with the medium and produce the artwork that we are comfortable with.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    I hear what say about trying to be "well rounded" with your work. Everytime I finish a sketchbook, I look over my work and write a "DO's" and "DONT's" on the last page. I.E. DO: more perspective studies. DON'T: start a pen drawing in the middle of the page and then promptly abadon it. etc.

At the same time, try not to overwhelm yourself with trying to grasp too many new concepts at once. Work on your line, & understanding of tone and colour theory. Push yourself, but don't push yourself so much that you're just pumping out nice-looking studies without taking the time to learn anything from them.

... Where the hell is the rest of the SSG, by the way?
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast