Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: .: Big American Party :.

Thanks
    Great progression from post 1 to now!

I can't really give a crit, since you're doing everything right so far.

Keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi max! Thanks for posts in my sb, really appreciate your support! Great sb you got here, very nice life drawings and you`re progressing really fast.
    These ones:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1159109090
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1159109077
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1160492290
    are damn good!
    Ryder`s method in figure drawing really pays off I see. Great work with last sp - proportions and facial planes are figured out very well. Keep posting, you`re doing fine!

Thanks

the natural progression of things

Hey yo ...

Spats :: Thanks brother. now, let's see a self-portrait

OldNoobie :: Thank you. I checked the eyes. Not the only thing that needs work

morningbloom :: Thank you. and thank you for the diagram. i love the diagrams. It was helpful in noticing my right side dominance. I have to be more aware of that. Maybe mirror the drawing in the future. I did the hair like that, just having fun. It's funny, when I was done, I thought, 'man, the hair's not crazy enough'

madhatter :: Thank you. I think what you're seeing in regards to the drawing men vs drawing women is the sequential listing. I improved a bit in seeing proportions, just happened to be when we were drawing the ladies. Reclining poses are fun f'sho.

Beonarri :: Thank you very much.

Ulver :: Thanks. The only part of the ryder method I've been using is the initial envelope, then I put a gesture inside and build from there. I think Ryder's technique in full looks very mechanical. Thanks for the good words.

Well. This week, I kinda slacked on the at-home work. Had a bit of a hectic time with some other things and I didn't really get to work on my foundation stuff. But a few of us in class started a bones and muscle study group. We're doing the skull first, so you'll see some serious studying on the next post up.

A bit of notes from lecture. The top is a quote from the Delacroix journals; " The only reality for me are the illusions I put down on my canvas. All else are shifting grains of sand" - Delacroix
    After that are graphs showing wishful thinking in art progress, followed by reality in art progress ::

Attachment 36877

that being said ...
    this week I tried out some different materials, styles and techniques. All these were short poses, 5-25 minutes.
    hit me back with crits, comments, suggestions, spit in my eye, et cetera

some conte ::
    Attachment 36870
    Attachment 36871

ink stylies ::
    Attachment 36872

pencil render ::
    Attachment 36873

this woman blew all the rules i've been learning about proportion out the window. short legs, long torso, long neck, loooooonnnnggg hair...
    pencil madness::
    Attachment 36874

more conte ::
    Attachment 36875

more ink steeze ::
    Attachment 36876

Gotta hit that anatomy hard. and I'm about to try my hand at some environments ( or landscapes for you fine art types )

thanks for stopping by. it's always appreciated.
    max :.
    Last edited by max xiantu; February 20th, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Hey you.
    Good to see some improvements
    This isn't a real comment; consider this a palceholder.
    I'll verbally tear you a new one tomorrow
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    getting better. Proportions improved markedly. Keep on it.
    Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    haha, that timeline is great!
    And that conte's are really looking good there, would like to see more of those

Thanks
    I like diagrams too. They make things easier for me to see. I really like the first ink. So simple, but it conveys the form so well! I would love to do some hand gestures with you. I'm not sure how well I'll do, but I'd love to give it a shot. How many to a page?

Thanks

gestural gestalt

I've decided to post a bit more often. Keeps me focused, and the crits help truckloads. (thank YOU)

bunny :: thanks. and yes, I'll wait.

Listing :: thank you. I definitely will keep on keepin on.

beershite :: glad you enjoyed it/them. got another conte for you below.

morningbloom :: thanks for the comments. I did my gestures today. way harder than I anticipated, but I learned tons and I think I'll do more soon.

The figure gestures are getting looser and I think better over all. Gestures definitely help huge in me learning how to see. I think I'm going to do gesture studies of alot more things. Apply it across the board and such.

8B graphite. 1 minute gestures

Attachment 37686

More Conte. Exaggerated the abs and deltoid in exchange for more time to mess with conte rendering. 20 minutes.

Attachment 37687

Morningbloom and I have agreed to loosen up and learn our hand anatomy as a team.
    They suck, but I learn bunches in a 35 minute period. I will do these again. and again.

1 minutes ::
    Attachment 37688

2 min ::
    Attachment 37689

5 min ::
    Attachment 37690

and lastly, today's train sketches.

Attachment 37691

thanks for your eyes.
    m:.

Thanks
    Hey, max haven't checked by here in a little while or much of CA at all >.<. Still improving I see , studies and life drawings are always nice and you're showing you have the technical skill, but I still think it would be cool if you did some more of everything else! An enviro would be cool, and I know you can draw other things, so you should draw something like... an UBER psuedo monster thing now that you've improved some! Lol just a suggestion. Overall keep up the practice! Btw try to paint in PS occasionaly, it seems hard the first few times but after awhile it just starts to come to you.

Thanks
    the gestures are very free, I like them. Have you tried using the other colors in the conte palatte? I like the hand studies, it looks like you can get a real nice shape of the hand in one minute.
    SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Sorry about the wait... I don't consider myself a verbose person and thinking of/wording a good critique is pretty strentuous on my head

Anyway.

I really like the 'loose', relaxed feel of your latest post. I can gauge from most of your recent stuff that you're becomming a little more comfortable with human form. The gestures at the top are my favourite - they're very fluid, and the forms are solid.

I like your hand gestures, however, the lines seem a little messy & all over the place on your 1 minute gestures. The thing with gestures, I find, is to suggest as much form/light/volume as you can using minimal lines. Think about which lines are neccecary to convey the form, and which ones you can do without.

The train sketches look neat; I'm doing a project like it myself sketching faces I see on the bus every morning.

Keep at it... you are showing much progress!!
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    I saw your post with the reading list for Art Students League, I didn't know Gombrich was that popular. This chart stood out to me http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1161055220
    I'm not sure if you meant our individual progress or progress throughout art history. If you meant history then: This type of thinking is fairly popular both with artists and non artists, just read the philosophy of Art Renewal Center www.artrenewal.org. It implies that true art serves one unique purpose, and that illusionist art is it's culmination. But throughout history images have served various purposes, with the amount of realism varying according to the needs of the people making it. It has nothing to do with skill. Should read both of those Gombrich books. I'm currently reading his "Meditations on a hobby horse and other essays on the theory of art", but it's important to read the other two first.
    What does that Delacroix quote mean anyway? Sounds psychotic to me.
    Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks

oktober 25. 2006

What's happenin?

Kvick :: Thanks for all the kind words. As you'll see on this post, I've taken some of your suggestions ...

Matsign :: Thanks. I've only messed with the Sanguine as far as Conte goes. I plan to expand at some point when I have the disposable income.

Bunny :: Thank you for your in depth reply. I wonder what has happened to the rest of our SSG ? Anyways, the goal of the hand gestures was to get as loose as possible, and stop making the hands look so cartoony. My future gesture exercises will be more concerned with economy of line.

Armando :: The graph is meant to be for personal growth, but I suppose it could be applied to any history or progression (other than technological, which is surely straight logarithmic). I definitely will check out the Gombrich books. They sound good. The Delacroix quote is from his journals, I liked it because it reflects his romantic style and sounds reminiscent of the Eastern philosophy of the impermanence of things.

This past week I've been working through the Bridgeman books and doing a chock full of anatomy study. I'll post some of the more interesting stuff at some point perhaps.

Some pencil style ::
    Attachment 40383

Went down to the Japanese bookstore by Rockafeller Center and picked up a few Pilot Hi Tec C pens. They are as dope as everything you've heard. Now, to just learn more control ...
    some hatching ::
    Attachment 40382

some old skool illustration type thang ::
    Attachment 40384

I'm attempting to get more comfortable with the wacom and drawing on the computer in general. Here's some real late night crap sketch action in painter. (the background is the distress filter, which apparrently just turns things into roses)...
    Attachment 40380

And as per Kvick's request, and my own desires, I have begun my first attempt on a cA weekly activity. Creature of the Week 65, Trick or treat. Here is one of my many thumbnails. Scribbled this in photoshop. The piece has changed considerably since this one though. I'll post the progress shortly...
    Attachment 40385

Thanks peeps.
    m :.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast