Sketchbook: a beginning of sorts...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: a beginning of sorts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a beginning of sorts...

so yeah... new to this site and it's idiosyncrasies so please bare with me. figured this is the best place to start since what i consider a final drawing is what the rest of you would consider a sketch. i can't upload images right now cuz for some reason they refuse to load completely.. once i do though, i would greatly love any advice that would help. for now, since i can't upload, here is at least a small (haha, pun) sample of my current works... let me know what you think. good or bad. (just please be gentle)

more later. soon hopefully.
    -Ry

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by orionterron99; August 21st, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA! well, that at least one place where i can post pics... if anyone knows what the almighty secret to seting up the gallery on my profile page is, let me know. for some reason the images refuse to display. (and yes, i'm following all the necessary formats and regulations for the images). anyway, here's some more of my stuff... I only use standard #2 pencils (or the mechanical ones, depending on what i'm making) or your run of the mill pens (gel inks for preference, but i'll use whatever is at hand). Basically i'm taking an uber-crash course in art... um... things. if you know any supplies, books, mediums, etc. that are cheap (for now anyway) let me know. also, PLEASE give suggestions on shape, form, depth, etc.

laters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi orionterron99.

Not a bad start, the eye on the first one is a bit lopsided. It might help you to hold your drawing up to a mirror every once in a while and find mistakes you wouldnt otherwise notice.

as for books that are cheap, you can download the loomis books for free. i think you can still get them here http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

... *sigh* honestly, sometimes I feel like a loomis spokesperson or something ... =/

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP XXV

Truth is stranger than fiction

CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like YOU wanna use your IMAGINATION or something. Well let me tell you something boy, you just put that imagination of yours way way in the back of your closet, 'cause you're not going to be needin' it for a long time! All you have in front of you is non-fun copying and life drawing to do. A million years of life drawing HAhahhaaha...

Seriously you gotta learn your craft before you do anything with any entertainment value whatsoever. Listen to me, nobody's failed harder and longer than I have! I know what I'm talking about here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that was a little ascerbic... though appreciated. I know i need to learn it.. though life drawing is secondary to things that are much more interesting. People hold no artistic value for me. parts of people perhaps... a nice leg, a well defined yet sinewy upper arm... but such is moot.

my largest dillemma is in LEARNING the craft... getting away from my old habits (like 'petting' the line. so much of my runic artwork is BASED on that!!!) plus i've had NO art training. so my advancement is staunched by a sizeable ignorance of what to use, how to use, why to use, and various books to read. though the latter part i'm rapidly acruing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Listen to me, nobody's failed harder and longer than I have! I know what I'm talking about here." ... O_o

ahem... anyway

Just because you have to learn the technical aspect of it doesnt mean it has to be horrible and gruling along every step of the way. Ive enjoyed myself plenty doing anatomy and perspective studies. Theres also no rule that says just because you havent mastered the technical aspects, you cant do something fun every once in a while.

So just churn out drawings like a madman. Enjoy it when you can, grit your teeth and put the pencil to the paper when you cant.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORT GROUP XXV

Truth is stranger than fiction

CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your attitude much better Faux Pas thank you. The more i am starting to sketch monsters, the more i'm realizing how important human form is... There a subtle irony in that i didn't realize at all, just drew... now things are making a strange and eerie sort of sense. *shivers*

i'll put up some of my sketches tomorrow night/friday mornin. just try not to gasp at the unpolished skill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so due to hospital times had to wait a bit to update. on the good side i found my older sketch pads whilst recovering/being bored to tears. so i can post some of my older stuff with the newer. most of these are older, though i'm very proud of them. the last two images are parts of a WIP. I'm thinkin about just photoshopping the head onto the body instead of redrawing it. i figure i might as well use the tech since i got it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so this is the finished digitization of the guy from my last post. let me know what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by orionterron99
    The more i am starting to sketch monsters, the more i'm realizing how important human form is...
    That is very true, same goes with the forms of animals, get yourself a nice anatomy book, or better yet, go to a life drawing class. I garuntee your creatures will be tons better and more believable. But with that being said, you're off to a good start. Stretching your imagination muscles and all. Just remember to not get frustrated (i should tell that to myself haha) and keep drawing everyday. Drawing is fun! You'll see improvements in no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeiff
    That is very true, same goes with the forms of animals, get yourself a nice anatomy book, or better yet, go to a life drawing class. I garuntee your creatures will be tons better and more believable. But with that being said, you're off to a good start. Stretching your imagination muscles and all. Just remember to not get frustrated (i should tell that to myself haha) and keep drawing everyday. Drawing is fun! You'll see improvements in no time.
    I already am... kinda, lol.problem is applying them. Right now my biggest concern is finding new media to use. I notice pencils, at least standard pencils, aren't very prevalent... so.... my next task is to try something new. any sugestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, im a total material noob. however working big and with charcoal to play around with value a bit, can be quite fun. Once you get past the "eeew its black, dirty and messy stage" its quite liberating. Just a suggestion.

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's no such thing as a final drawing - only a drawing that was good enough not to get thrown away. Draw from life, draw from life, and draw from life some more. Don't be afraid to risk messing up your drawings by taking risks - that's what the trash can is for. Good luck!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now that i know i can upload from my camera at work, maybe i'll post a little more frequently. So, more attempts at humans. these were all fairly quick, less than ten minutes or so, i think. I'm great if i wanted to make cartoon characters... but i got bored (and a little disheartened) after a while so decided to make something interesting, if basic. took about a half hour to fourty five minutes (not counting cigarette breaks and customers bugging me) and i was armed with a pencil (the wooden ones you have to sharpen) and a Q-Tip. Thinkin about making a water b/g since my continuation of the neck w/o lines seems to lend that idea. at least to me anyway. (btw, i was trying a different approach to gettin some good lighting on the paper, so please forgive the discolored yellow spots... plus my actual sketchbook is full up so i'm using crappy ass copy paper.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

pardon the blurriness

so some sketches from today... pardon teh blurriness, and the crap paper. I draw on what i have at hand, which i need to stop doing cuz the ones i make on the crap paper are usually the ones i wanna keep. anyway, was tryin some stuff with a previous creature i made, as well as some 'life drawings' and some cartoony shite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

been a while

been a while since my last post, been doin stuff for getting ready for school and moving and other crap to eat up time. but, made a few more portfolio sketches i'm going to submit. one 'life study' of a person, and two of my kitties. (the graphite one is a pic of the kitty in a tupperware bowl. I don't know why, but for some reason she loves laying in the damn things. the other kitty was done with marker (crayola even!) and graphite. wanted to try a negative-space creation process (or something like that. working from the outside in). anyway, here they are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

and onwards we fly...

so, the last two drawings (sketches, whatever) for my portfolio. now i get to actually do FUN stuff.. for a little bit anyway. on that note, also a kitty for a topic on the DSG page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

um...yeah

And time passes... quickly. I honestly wonder if anyone looks at this, lol. BUT, some recent stuff. Two tat designs, a photoshop pic (the only thing i DIDN"T create is the mold of me, the rest was either painted or warped), and my first Illustrator attempt. (Goin for a cartoony, anime style kind of thing)

-Ry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

most recent

It started as a leg study (hence the leg is in the middle) and just kinda went from there.

0.7 black/blue Pen on heavy weight paper.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.