Mouse mouse
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mouse mouse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mouse mouse

Mm fresh meat?

So I'm working with Painter IX.5 currently..very new to it and I was wondering if there were any special settings for mouse users?

I know I'll get a lot of replys saying, " just get a tablet !" heh but I'm not interested in spending that much right now, so my Logitech mx518 will just have to due

Anyways, I'm looking to see if there are any Windows or Painter settings (mainly in reference to sensitivity and the brush tracking) that need to be altered to suite it better, as mouse dragging seems a bit sketchy, unlike in my PS 7

Thanks for anything ^ ^

Last edited by toole; August 18th, 2006 at 05:52 PM.
    anti_comfort-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, anyone?

Really loving Painter, especially how the brushes react in comparison to PS..

Hopefully I'll get this scanner working soon, so I can post some uglies

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jin, kind, thoughtful, the last word on all things Painter, may pop in, but as far as I know, there is no such thing as brush sensativity with a mouse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'm speaking of just basic Windows sensitivity, if there is more than just user preference..leaning towards efficiency with higher/lower tracking.

And Edit>Preferences>Brush Tracking - these settings I have no idea what to base upon, I've searched and found posts for personal preference, but in using a mouse is there some things I should stick to?

-just looking for opinions I guess, thanks.

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    toole,

I could swear I answered your first post earlier today! Where'd it go?

Anyway.....

1. From inside Painter IX, use Help > Help Topics. Help Topics will open in HTML format with a Contents tab, Index tab, Search tab, and Favorites tab where you can bookmark pages you'll want to return to later.

2. In the Options menu, click Search Highlight On (If it says Search Highlight Off, just close the Options menu).

3. Click the Search tab and in the field below Type in the word(s) to search for:, type mouse, then click the List Topics button.

4. Highlight Exploring Brushes, then click the Display button.

5. On the right panel, scroll down near the bottom of the page to the heading named Using a Stylus or Mouse and read that section.

6. When you're finished reading that section, go back to the left panel and one at a time, click each item, click the Display button, and scroll through the pages to find each instance of the highlighted word mouse and read the information.

I believe most of what will be useful to you is in the first section I mentioned in Step 5, Using a Stylus or Mouse but it won't hurt to look for more.

Brush Tracking, as the sliders indicate, is used to reset your:
    • Velocity Scale
    • Velocity Power
    • Pressure Scale
    • Pressure Power

I don't think it will respond to a mouse since a mouse doesn't support pressure sensitivity, but you can experiment with it to see what happens. Just paint a brushstroke on the Brush Tracking scratch pad using your normal way of painting, then click the OK button.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Jin, thanks a bunch for your help.

-I'm pretty sure it was my first post;

and to add I was just wondering..I'm doing some practice in P 9.5 and while using Oils, namely the Thick Wet Camel, as I begin to drag the cursor the paint trail begins with a white value, why is this?

Thanks everyone.

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi toole,

The Oils' Thick Wet Camel variant has blending and smearing characteristics, so if you paint on transparent areas of a Layer above color on underlying Layers or the Canvas, you'll see white in the brushstroke where the stroke begins.

If you paint on a white Canvas or on a transparent Layer above a white Canvas, you won't see the white at the beginning of the stroke though it'll be there on the Layer anyway. Close the Canvas' Eye icon and you'll see it.

If you want to paint on a transparent Layer (or transparent areas of a Layer) and don't want the white to show in your brushstrokes, you can check the Pick Up Underlying Colors box at the top of the Layers palette so the blending will take place with those underlying colors.

Be aware, though, that if you add other colors below the Layer later on, the previously blended colors that appeared using Pick Up Underlying Colors may contrast with those new underlying colors. Planning ahead is the only way to prevent this from happening.

Another way to avoid the white in your brushstrokes is to adjust the Brush Controls Well palette setting, Resaturation, to make the brush variant no longer have blending and smearing characteristics.

Resaturation controls how much color is painted in the brushstroke.

Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and painted in the brushstroke.

Adjust the Resaturation slider to 100%.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jin; August 20th, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Jin, thanks a ton.

So I thought I'd throw my recent paint on this thread..I know its nothing special..and the leaves on this apple are pretty ghey haha

But looking for some tips on refining looks...thanks all:

Can any suggest some basic brushes to go by?

So far I'm enjoying the Oils>Detail/Medium , Artists' Oils>Blender/Dry/Soft Blender as well as the Blender>Detail Blender..

Having a bit of trouble with wanting nice little detail lines and blending them well, - what about layers? Do you suggest using many? Of course for this I used only one+canvas.

Lastly, are there any 'cheap' tools I should stick away from? I found on the forums to steer from the dodge/burns etc..

Thanks again all

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't suggest any favorite brush variants since my "role" is mainly to teach people how to use the program which means I'm all over the map using everything I can get my hands on to see how it works and what can be done with it.

Anyway, each artist finds his/her own favorites and often creates a collection of custom variants to suit their particular kind of painting and their particular ways of working.

You'll do best to continue learning for yourself which brush variants you like and when you run into problems you don't know how to solve, ask for help.

If you rely on other peoples opinions, you'll be confining yourself too much and miss out on all the wonderful discoveries that can be made while exploring, experimenting, and playing (play is a good thing!).

Don't be afraid to try things. Digital Canvases and digital paint are cheap.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you rely on other peoples opinions, you'll be confining yourself too much and miss out on all the wonderful discoveries that can be made while exploring, experimenting, and playing (play is a good thing!).
    Great point Jin.

I'll definitely keep this all in mind.

A word on the apple maybe? Besides it looking flat heh

Thanks again.

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, here are a few thoughts off the top of my head:

Add a background of some kind, even a few splotches of color slapped onto the Canvas and blended just a tiny bit to kill the bright white.

The stem is too thin to hold that big apple on the tree or even for the size of the apple. Make it a little fatter and curve it just a little so it's not so stick-straight.

Find a good reference photo and take a good look at how apple leaves look, the size, shape, and how they attach to the apple. Then paint them again but this time don't smooth them out so much. They have veins, variations in color, and hollows and hills, even if only slight.

This is not the same kind of apple, and it's not a painting, the drawing/inking is a bit stylized, but it was drawn from life and it demonstrates what I mean about apple leaves. These are larger in relation to the apples' size and definitely not smooth but I drew just what I saw sitting on the coffee table in front of me, following the size, shape, direction, how they were attached to the stem, etc.

Update: This drawing/inking is © 1982-2006, Jinny Brown

Figure out where our light source is and add some highlights and shadows to the apple and the leaves. Maybe buy a good apple with colors similar to what you have (stripey), plop it on your desk, shine some light on it from the upper left, then paint what you see.

Keep the variations in color you already have on the apple (the vertical "stripes" and maybe detail some of them just a little (look at the real apple to see how this looks).

Then gently blend the apple's edges into the background so they're no longer sharp edges but help to make the apple belong in that space instead of being a flat cut-out-and-pasted-onto-the-background apple picture.

These comments fall into the critiques area so if you want that kind of feedback, you'll probably get more, and better, attention in the critique forum.

Last edited by Jin; August 20th, 2006 at 07:43 PM.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotcha, again Jin thank you, thank you.

I'll throw a new apple up in the critique forum later on, using your tips.

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Side question:

is there a hotkey for switching to the eraser tool quickly?

I've got most of them down..but if there is one for the eraser..that would be so awesome heh.

anti_comfort-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you mean the new Painter IX.5 Eraser tool (on the Tools palette), there isn't a default keyboard shortcut for it. You can customize a keyboard shortcut in:

Mac - Painter IX > Preferences > Customize Keys

Windows - Edit > Preferences > Customize Keys

1. With the Customize Keys Preferences dialog box open, in the Shortcuts dropdown list, choose Tools.

2. In the lower panel, scroll down until you find Eraser.

3. Highlight it and type the keyboard shortcut you want. Watch below that panel for a warning if the keyboard shortcut is already taken.

All the letters of the alphabet are already taken for the other Tools palette tools, so I used Shift+E.

Until you're more used to Painter, it's probably best not to eliminate any of the default keyboard shortcuts as they're pretty well thought out. You could easily regret not having them later on and then have to redo your keyboard shortcuts and redirect some habits you've formed.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh I see, thanks Jin.

anti_comfort-

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.