Thanks

Help for someone commencing

Hello all

I've recently discovered that I want to paint. Now I've always kept the believe that I'm very bad at drawing, let alone painting. That is over, I want to express what I feel and what I see through painting.

I'm asking for help to 1) find a good book that can teach me the basics, and 2) have some advice about which materials I should buy and if there's any good shop online that you'd recommend.

Thanks very much, I appreciate all help. I've seen some good pieces of art in this site, and this seems a really cool forum.

Thanks again

Cris
    Cristina Diaz is an artist and the editor of The Benefits Of Positive Thinking, where she aims to share her knowledge about positive thinking. She also dedicates time to draw and write short tales in Spanish.
    http://www.the-benefits-of-positive-thinking.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    to be honest, what you desire, will take time and dedication. What your speaking about in a way is very broad. For example, if you say your very bad in drawing. What are you bad in.
    The tools you buy to create your art, will not make you achieve your desires.
    its the knowledge of how to use them.

do you have a sample of a picture you did.
    cause since you stated your bad at drawing. the only thing i can suggest you is to start of learning the foundations. use the forum here to find your answers.and do alot of research and reading other peoples experience.

also, if you look for a guys sb (sketchbook) MindCandyMan. His progress is truly inspirational.
    do yeah
    1. see if youhave something to show us. to see where your at.
    2. if you want to brush up on your foundations.. do research
    foundations meaning.
    anatomy, color theory, light and shadow, perspective (i there is more)

3.Do alot of research.

4. draw from life

5. create a sb to start off your progress....
    good luck to you..
    i hope that helps

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rose
    The tools you buy to create your art, will not make you achieve your desires.
    its the knowledge of how to use them.
    Yup, if you're just starting out, don't waste your money on expensive materials.

Just grab something cheap to practice with- you'll know for yourself when you need the better stuff.

Thanks

I'm going to make it

White Rose

Thank you for all your comments. Yes I'm starting from scratch, I'm 27 and have no idea about drawing or painting and have never gone to an art school, but I've had taken the decision I'm going to paint. I can see what I want to express in my mind. I just need to learn to express it.

When I say I'm bad at drawing I'm meaning that my drawings are plain, have no perspective whatsoever, nor depth, nor nothing - a 5 year old kid would draw better than me at this very point. I do have knowledge of concepts and can appreciate and comment on art pieces as I had a couple of subjects at university focusing on "talking about art" rather than making it.

I hear what you guys say and won't buy expensive material yet, but rather a book that teaches basics to actually draw and paint. And a sketchbook.

Thanks very much again, much appreciated

Cris
    Cristina Diaz is an artist and the editor of The Benefits Of Positive Thinking, where she aims to share her knowledge about positive thinking. She also dedicates time to draw and write short tales in Spanish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    best book on drawing:
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...964017?ie=UTF8

dont worry about paint AT ALL until you get some drawing basics down pat.
    get through this book, and then check back in.
    good luck!
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    oh well, if you feel the urge to paint, I can suggest you a couple of sites:

-for hints about art materials and similar I suggest you wetcanvas.com. I'm 27 like you and I just started to paint with oils after years of digital. I found there some points to at least don't adventure completely blind in traditional painting...

-for improve in your drawing skills (but there are interesting paintin tutorial too if you do a little search), what better place than this very forum?

good luck
    The greatest pictorial value lies in all the things the camera cannot do.

my animavatar

Thanks
    Thank you guys

Taken note of your advice, much appreciated. I guess I saw myself for a second with a brush in my hand and a great canvas in front of me

Anyway, I'll keep on practising, thanks again 8)

Cris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CDiaz
    I guess I saw myself for a second with a brush in my hand and a great canvas in front of me
    Well then, go do it.
    Canvas (or hardboard) isn't that expensive, if you want to paint, go paint, just don't go nuts and paint it with super expensive hand ground pigment on finest quality panels.

Without a basic understanding of art fundamentals it'll likely turn out bad, but one more bad painting won't make the world explode or anything.

It might even turn out cool, at the very least it'll be a learning experience.

Thanks

Some drawing that looks like a drawing

Hello all and thanks very much for your support

I've started drawing, I got myself "Drawing on the right side of the brain" and after reading a bit I draw a hand - and I was astonished as it was actually a good drawing! I'm very very happy!

Since then I've kept on drawing a bit more, taking some time when I can, drawing while I travel by tube, drawing feet and faces, and I'm very pleased.

I think I'll leave the canvas for now because as much excited about the idea as I am, I really need to have the skills first...

Have a great time and thanks again

Cristina

Thanks
    Good for you, isn't it a great feeling when you start noticing improvement in your work?
    It would be a good idea to start a sketchbook thread in the sketchbook section of this forum and start posting everything you create.
    It's a great way to receive usefull feedback to help you improve even more.
    Good luck to you!

Thanks
    Rudeone

The feeling of accomplishment is enormous. You see, I've said all my life, to myself and everybody else, that I can't draw. I realised only very recently that the only reason why I haven't ever seemed to draw well is because I've told so to myself.

Now I'm saying I can draw and paint. I can definitely learn the skills, and I can create. Guess what, every drawing I make I feel better and feel I'm learning and improving; I drew my brother's face out of a picture, and it actually resembles of him!

Anyhow, great to be in this forum, I feel so supported.

Just the best!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    This thread gives me the warm fuzzies.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Smile Cool thread! And see...

Atlantis

Great thread, thanks very much.

Guys I came across this the other day, it's truly art but not painting:

http://www.jugglenow.com/chris-bliss...ing-video.html

With cool music too.

Enjoy!