The Solar system - The IAU giveth, the IAU taketh away
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Solar system - The IAU giveth, the IAU taketh away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Solar system - The IAU giveth, the IAU taketh away

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned already, but then again, my search-fu is weak so it might have been.

Over the past week a commitee of the International Astronomical Union (IAC) have been meeting in Prague to come up with an official definition of a planet. The idea was to finally resolve whether of not Pluto was a planet or just a sizable lump of rock.

On Wednesday(-ish) they released their proposal. It's based on the gravity of the object in question and basically says a planet is round and orbits a star (and not another planet, 'cause that would make it a satellite).

This leads to their recommendation that the Solar system be increased to 12 planets.
    The new ones being Ceres, largest rock in the asteroid belt; Charon, Pluto's 'moon'; and UB313 (aka 'Xena'), which is beyond Pluto. The interesting thing is that Pluto and Charon form a 'double planet' where the centre of rotation is between the two, so neither is the 'main' planet.

There are those opposed to the idea, including the discoverer of Xena, as it opens up the possiblility of tens, if not hundreds, of planets eventually being classified in our system, including several others in the asteroid belt.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...efinition.html

NEWSFLASH:
    It now seems as though in the next general assembly of the IAU that Pluto will be/has been dropped as a planet and be reclassified, along with Ceres and Xena, as a 'dwarf planet'. But then, the way these astronomers are acting, it could possibly change again.

Last edited by _Butler_; August 24th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just watching a bit about this on the Colbert Report.

Interesting stuff. There's going to have to be alot of new textbooks ordered for the kiddies

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intrigueing. I didin't realize Ceres had formerly been classified as a planet. Or that it might have more fresh water (as ice) than Earth! Or that Ceres alone makes up 1/3 the mass of the asteroid belt.

Astronomy is brilliant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree with Pluto and Charon being a double planet. Charon is just 1/8th of Pluto's mass, so the shared gravity center must be pretty close to Pluto, but probably not inside its radius. I have no clue what arbitrary threshold they use to detemine double planet status.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really cool! I'm usually at space.com all the time just 'cause I dig astronomy so much. Can't believe I missed this.

Also, I was really hoping they'd name the 10th planet something with X for 10 in Roman numerals. Xena will be an awesome name if it goes through!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm... Xena and Gabrielle (her moon) would be neat. THis site states: "There is no chance whatsoever that these will become the permanent names of these objects!"

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    I disagree with Pluto and Charon being a double planet. Charon is just 1/8th of Pluto's mass, so the shared gravity center must be pretty close to Pluto, but probably not inside its radius. I have no clue what arbitrary threshold they use to detemine double planet status.
    Probably exactly that: whether the orbital point is inside the radius of one of the bodies or not.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My very excellent mother just sent us nine... oh hell.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Probably exactly that: whether the orbital point is inside the radius of one of the bodies or not.
    Which means in a couple billion years the Earth and the moon will become a double planet. Not that we, or at least our silly definitions, are likely to be around then.

But this may explain why my horoscope is always wrong. Those astrologers haven't been taking these other planets into account!

0kelvin

Last edited by 0kelvin; August 18th, 2006 at 05:53 PM.
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    But this may explain why my horoscope is always wrong. Those astrologers haven't been taking these other planets into account!
    Priceless

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if anyone has ever seen or used this application.. but!

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Its an interactive, space simulation that lets you navigate and view not only the earth, near earth objects and the local solar system, but also other stars, and the entire galaxy or beyond if you choose to install add-on packs. The zoom feature lets you 'travel' light years with just a mouse scroll, and you can type in familiar names, objects, or anything that has been discovered in astronomy and close in on them to view them in 3D. Actually this little app gave me quite a sense of vertigo and.. well whatever the reverse of claustrophobia is.. while I was tooling arond the orion arm of our galaxy.

It's really useful for developing interstellar type stories too, hehe. Also useful for painting space scenes using familiar planets.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Astronomy programs are fun, I wrote my own solar system formation thing a while ago... well, it's very simplified 2D. It's simulates bodies coming together to form larger bodies, while being affected by gravity.

I sent IAU these questions, but I'm not sure if their email form was working.
    1. If a body is orbiting the barycentre of a double planet, it is orbiting a point in space. How will you then determine planethood for that body? Add the double planet masses together and work out the radius?
    2. Will IAU also set thresholds for what constitutes a moon? Are Phobos, Deimos or Prometheus moons for example?
    3. Is Hal Clement's "Mesklin" a planet? It's spinning so fast it's oval and not round.
    4. Since the sizes of solar system bodies are analog, isn't it an arbitrary choice to put a digital threshold for planethood? Personally I would favor a culturally defined threshold, such as using the radius of Mercury. Then I would use the term planetoid for objects down to Your suggested 'roundness' threshold, and go for asteroids, rocks, pebbles and dust after that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link Helium. That thing's rather snazzy. There goes the rest of the afternoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Or maybe not...

Probably for the best anyway:
    Astronomers strip Pluto of its planet status

My very excellent mother just sent us... nothing.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's kind of wierd but I'd rather it be eight than twelve+. Sorry Pluto... welcome to the dwarf planet league.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin
    Sorry Pluto... welcome to the dwarf planet league.
    I believe the politically correct term is little people planet.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you say...the dwarf planet league?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I refuse to accept that Pluto is not a planet. In my mind there will still be 9 planets. The IAU can go f**k themselves.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, Pluto was a lump of freakish oblong rock, anyway. And its orbit totally deviated from all of the cooler, bigger, realer planets. It's just not like the other cool kids.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.