Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What's your take on Tablet PC's?

Are they worth it yet for professional artists? will they get better anytime soon? Im about to start looking for something portable to use on the go, if they're good enough yet, a tablet pc would be perfect... Whats your reccomendation?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've heard that they aren't as sensitive as a Wacom, but Vilppu uses one and loves it (his has major scratching and denting in the middle of the screen, though).

Thanks
    I asked one of my teachers the same question, once. He said they're good in that they emulate actual drawing better, but he also said they tend to break fairly easily. I'm not sure if he meant physically or OS wise, but it's something to consider.

Thanks
    has anyone here used one? how do they compare to say, a wacom intuos 2?

Thanks
    WE have a toshiba tablet PC at my work that I tried. I did'nt find it quitw as comfortable as a wacom. I thought it was hard to hold it up at the proper angle for myself. and the screen was'nt quite as precise as just seeing my cursor on the screen.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    There was another thread like this a couple weeks ago, you may find some more info in it. I've used an older Fujitsu Stylus or Stylistic (not sure of the exact name). It was a true tablet PC, not the cool laptop models that you can spin the monitor around and hold it flat.

There was cursor lag. Meaning you would move the stylus and the dot would trail behind. I think that's something you can get use to and I hope it's improved with today's models. I considered getting one but I figured I could get a lot more hardware for my money by getting a budget line laptop and an Intuous3, which is the way I went. As far as I know, tablet pcs only have 256 levels of pressure which I don't think really comes into play with just sketching.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Gah, cursor lag..that'd annoy the living piss out of me...Maybe in the future.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana
    I've heard that they aren't as sensitive as a Wacom, but Vilppu uses one and loves it (his has major scratching and denting in the middle of the screen, though).
    This is actually completely false. I didnt know this until i called wacom support, myself. Wacom actually provides the technology to 90% of the tablet pc market. The salewomen from wacom told me that the only tablet pcs they for sure dont make the hardware for is any widescreen tablet pc.

This is Wacom's list of "penabled" tablet PCs. (aka, the ones whos technology is from wacom)
    http://www.wacom.com/tabletpc/oem.cfm

Upon further inquiry, i found out that most of the new laptops have 1024 pressure levels and the pens are "standard" graphire pens, i believe. A good portion of the new tablets are actually intuos quality.

I am looking at the Toshiba m400, myself. It seems to get some of the better reviews from artists on Tabletpcbuzz.com. And from what i can see, the more RAM you grab, the least point lag you'll get.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Unfortunately I can't provide any advise, but I've seen Koshime's tablepc and was completely blown away by how handy that thingy was.

Thanks
    well the new gateway doesnt use a wacom but the old one like mine(m275 i think) does. i have never used a normal tablet but i know mine will lag when in photoshop and doing alot but i think thats just a lack of ram prob.

Thanks
    I think the basic consensus is, they're not as sensitive as a wacom, and theres some lag for some of them, and a lot of em dont have great system specs, but all in all, they'll get the job done just fine.

Thanks
    I tried on of the recent toshiba tablet pc with the revolving screen and I have to say that in theory it looks pretty nice but for drawing, it s horrible

I m not sure which model it is ( I ll ask my friend when he ll be online) but the lag was enough to drive you nuts and there wasnt any pressure sensitivity.

I saw the one NOX use and it looked amazing (tho I have no clue what the brand is)

as for comparing it to intuos, I think there s no place for comparison. Invest in a good apple 17" widescreen laptop and an intuos 3 and you wont regret it... I prsonnaly regret not getting an Apple in the first place and especially not getting a laptop =/ (but I have a 21 inch sony trinitron screen and I love it)

My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    i have tried toshiba m4.. two my co workers have them.

pros, well portable! just damn handy when u go out.. this is a big news!

cons, the lag.. is there.. when u go for a faster stroke, you can feel it. and the best response was actually from using artrage, I am sure if you shut down most crap running u can sort of relief the system. But even so the lag is there.

the pressure isn't so much of an issue I don't think. I can't tell the difference between grapphire and intous, many people apprently can.. But I did notice the lack of pressure, it's a little hard? should I say when U press down on it.

But I would say go for it.. m200 is probably better though, smaller, battery life is better. I just go for a good bargain on ebay or something. I idea that u can pull it out anywhere and draw is a very tempting one, no I mean in colour.. otherwise just use ur pencil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.