Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation The quickest way to make a buck

Right. All right.

*Cracks knucles*

So I'm going through my school website today, right? I figure, I'll get an early look at the overseas classes we're going to have, see if there's anything even remotely worth considering.

And then. And then. I saw IT.

Right there in small blue letters. JAPAN TRIP, Dec. 1-15 of this year. I had to close my screen for a moment to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. But it was true. It's there. It's happening. I have to go.

I have to go, but I sure as hell don't have 6,000 dollars lying around to throw on the trip. And unlike the crazy horse girl of a few weeks ago, I have no illusions about pulling it out of my ass between now and then. Considering the first deposit is due at the end of October (an 800 dollar deposit, no less) I have a cold, horrible feeling that what may be my only chance to realize one of my biggest dreams is going to fall away for something as trivial as money.

So I turn to you, Conceptart folks. You're all professionals, you've all been in a pinch before. How did YOU guys make quick moolah when you needed it most? Again, I'm too much of a realist to think I can really pull this thing off, but if you have any advice, and I mean, ANY-- even if it's snarky and insulting-- let 'er rip. At least I'll get a laugh out of the latter.

I thank you profusely in advance-- and no, I will not be turning to exotic dancing or prostitution, though the thousand bucks a week the former said profession has been promising me in the Pennsysaver for the last three months has been quite tempting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you're that desperate, why not get a loan?
    Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    unlike the crazy horse girl of a few weeks ago
    giggle...

seriously though, the only fast-cash-anyone-can-do-it-crazy-job thing I know of is medical studies. If you don't know what that is, I'll say first that I'm against it and I think it's reckless and irresponsible for a person to do without extremely dire need. But basically, pharmaceutical companies have to test their drugs and somebody has to swallow those pills. The bulk of research is done in labs and out of the country (Mexico does some first and second wave testing I hear). There comes a point where they're just getting the last kinks out and they need groups of people to play guinea pig. The pay varies with what's going to be asked of you (the more unpleasant and/or prolonged your study, the more money). Off topic, this was how Robert Rodriguez raised the money (all the money) he needed to make El Mariachi.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    I've already got 50,000 dollars in loan on my back, unfortunately. I thought the same thing, but the idea of dropping another 6,000 on top of it makes me cringe a bit. I'd love to go, but that's a step I'd rather avoid if possible.

Thanks
    Well keep in mind that this is not your ONLY chance to go to Japan. My first thought is that it might be cheaper to do it on your own for two weeks. Though I'm not sure how expensive Japan is, I bet you could pull it off for cheaper than 6000. Also, keep in mind that once you have a degree, you can apply to teach English over there with a variety of companies. Just do a google search for it, I know there are at least a handful of companies that do this. So, essentially, my advice is to not sweat this particular opportunity too much. You have a long life ahead of you that could include many a Japan trip. Just my two cents.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Well, if you are already 50k in debt, then another 6k wouldn't really hurt, would it?

Or how about borrowing it from your friends or relatives?
    ...+1 exp

Thanks

Thanks
    You know...when my friend is desperate, she usually goes out late at night in the streets. I always wonder when she comes back how she got all the wads of cash....?
    Last edited by 2b BOY; August 17th, 2006 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks
    You get a job serving food in a nice restaraunt you'll be making decent change. Im at a fairly popular/fancy restaraunt and I make about 100 bucks in tips on a decent shift. I have friends at other restaraunts with higher turnaround that are making well over twice that. If you get about 2 or 3 of these jobs and youre working full time, then you'll make enough.

However, heres something else to think about. WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. YOURE FUCKING FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS IN DEBT, AND NOW YOU WANT TO SPEND ANOTHER SIX GRAND THAT YOU DONT HAVE FOR (whats basically) A PLEASURE VACATION. get a grip! Any money youre making right now should be going to paying off that loan.

Edit: forgot one thing. I've had friends who've made tons of money stripping. So if youre good looking and in good shape, thats an idea. (the friends im mentioning were guys)

Thanks
    Jedmo-- I was giving that some thought, actually. I've never been keen on being a teacher, but it does sound like a great chance to see the country and get paid for it too. I'll have to look into it more once I get closer to graduation. The only reason I wanted to go now was because we get the benefit of a class during that time-- hence the reason it costs 6,000 dollars as opposed to the 2000 or so it would probably cost me to go it alone.

JFwalls- I've got one. And I plan to get one when I go to school again, but I doubt my job alone would be enough to help me reach my goal. I want to get my website up and running so that I can start putting my name out there for commisions and such, and as soon as it's done I'll be ready to go.

By the way, I'm a lady. ^_~

Aerythes-- I WISH my friends and relatives were that generous. Besides, my mother always raised me to never hit up family for money. I hate it when parents instill you with such silly values. >.<

DavePalumbo-- That sounds...deadly. Though I've always though participating in a medical study would be kind of interesting; my sister did a sleeping one while she was in college, and she said it was easy AND well paying. I know all studies aren't sleepers, but as long as it doesn't screw with my organs or make my hair fall out, I'd probably try it.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. YOURE FUCKING FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS IN DEBT, AND NOW YOU WANT TO SPEND ANOTHER SIX GRAND THAT YOU DONT HAVE FOR (whats basically) A PLEASURE VACATION. get a grip! Any money youre making right now should be going to paying off that loan.
    Quoted for emphasis.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    yeah, and money isn't trivial.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Well, as I said in my prior post, the reason I want to go NOW is because we get the benefit of attending classes while on the trip, as opposed to a plain old pleasure trip where I'd be dropping a few thousand dollars to wander aimlessly around a foreign city.

As for the loans, I've gotten them defferred until graduation. I still pay off bits of the interest periodically, which I'll continue to do. Sure it's expensive, but how often do opportunities like this pop up?

Thanks
    6000 for a trip to Japan ?? My only question is why in the fuk would you pay 6000 for a 2 week trip as a student ? I mean what is so special that you will learn on this trip that you would be willing to make it worse on yourself finacially ? You know you could organize your own trip for probebly cheaper then half the price if you stayed at youth hostiles !! Now since you say this trip to Japan is your biggest dream then study hard and work on your portfolio and get a good job . Then you will easily be able to afford trips to Japan and other places working as a pro. Your young and you want everything in the here and now just like we all did when we were young but believe me you have plenty of time kid .

I really don't think there is a way to make 6000 bucks in the next 3-4 months if you are a student . Maybe if you had a VERY good full time job and NO bills . Good luck though finding a way if you are to impatient to wait and dead set on going.

Thanks
    I wouldn't mind waiting if it turned out there was going to be another trip next year-- our college organizes several throughout the year, but as I understand this is the first time they've offered one to Japan. I guess folks have been fighting for it for a while, so it should be quite an event.

I really do appreciate the advice everyone's given-- like I said, I have no illusions of actually making the money in time. I figured I'd have nothing to lose by asking, anyway.

Tch. If worst comes to worst, I'll just use whatever extra money I DO make on games for my Wii.

Thanks
    bone marrow transplant, grand theft auto, gold diggin' from a sugar mama....

or you know, get a fuckin job....

Thanks
    I just graduated from the same college you are attending (SCAD yes?) and I can say that I always felt the off-campus programs they offer werent totally worth it. Sure you get to go abroad with a group and everything is nice and planned and taken care of for you but the cost I dont think balances out. Seriously, for two weeks you're paying the same (or possibly more with travel expenses and all) as what you would be paying for a ten week quarter and you're only getting two weeks of instruction. I dont mean to rain on your parade but ask yourself if it is really worth that much money. Really I think you could easily do it for cheaper than what SCAD charges you. And, the experience of doing it on your own will probably teach you more about yourself and the culture since you dont have the safety net of a school group to rely on. I did a trip to Europe on my own when I was going there and spent less than half of what any of the Europe off-campus programs cost. Having known many people who have done the off-campus trips with SCAD I can tell you its NOT the same as a ten week quarter. Thats from the educational standpoint. I can say that I've known a lot of people who have done the programs and loved them BUT it was for other reasons besides the instruction they recieved while there. Just to weigh in on the idea that the classes are going to make such a huge difference in your experience versus going on your own.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    I've got a very tidy solution to this problem: Forget the trip.

Japan isn't going to get up and walk away anytime soon, so you might as well wait until you have both the cash and opportunity to go.

Besides that, your motivation for going is thoroughly trivial. You want to go to Japan for the sake of going to Japan. Not for a vital operation, or a job, or to meet your long lost brother, nor for anything else that's worth killing yourself to raise $6000 in short order. Oh yeah, and you're already $50,000 in debt, which is reason enough alone to forget the whole trip.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    you can easily sleep in tokyo for ¥6000 - ¥7000 per day ($55 - $60), and food is quite cheap as well. if you by a bento or go to some cheap ass but really nice home owned home coocking style restaurant you pay ¥500 - ¥800 ($4.30 - $6.90) per meal. get your drinks at the store and not in the bar and chill outside while its very nice weather cause you go in the spring or fall (when the weather is nicest) and those two weeks should cost you much, much less than what you're being asked for. even if you double everything i just quoted to account for museum tickets, clubs entries and hostess clubs and all that, its is still going to be a lot cheaper.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Well. Let me give you my input on this. I didn't read the other replies yet, so if some one else already said this than so be it. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING PAYING 6,000 DOLLARS TO COME TO JAPAN?!?!?!?!?!?1111!!!!!?!!?///!!/11! Seriously. Why would you drop that kinda cash on a trip to japan for (what was it? 14 days)? Here's what i did when i came here on vacation before i moved here. I went to a travel agency, got a discount ticket (which ended up getting me bumped out of economy class into business class, which was better than a day at the spa!), then once i got here i jsut looked for mom-n-pop backpackers hostels (they are cheap, cozy, and abundant anywhere foreigners go). If you're dropping the 6,000 dollars on a tour group you may as well buy a few palm trees, some paper machet, and liquor. With the paper machet and liquor you can build a bar, and a ramen shop, and with the liquor you can stock it. Then you hire some people who speak japanese to man the ramen shop and bar, and you're set! and for a fraction of the price! Seriously. tour groups are the biggest crock of shit since dehydrated crackers in military MRE's. If you want to see japan, then save a 1,500 dollars, and go during the fall. You'll get to see everything you want, stay at some nice hostels, and eat lots of food. Otherwise you'll just be dumping half a grand into nothing.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    when you graduate, you are so going to get owned by that debt, and I mean really hardcore.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Hmm, no offense but from the sounds of it your not very good with your money in general yes? I can understand that you need to go because its part of the course but I really think you should sit this one out. You can go to japan later in life plus going to a ca workshop would be even cheaper.

The question now is what can you do to pay off the dept?
    I have one small piece of advice for money. A girl in my college used to make her own jewelry and sell it on ebay. Apparently she made 300 (pounds) a week but I dont know the quality of them etc so dont quote me on this. She could have been exagerating.

Good luck.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Become a drug dealer, sell your body parts, become a Guinea Pig for science...
    But seriously, if your 50,000 in debt I don't think it's wise taking out another loan. And like some are saying, it won't be your only chance to go to Japan.
    I think you should probably forget going anywhere this year and go another time.

Thanks
    6k to go to japan and for only 15 days. (you can get more for that)

I went to Japan with 6k in my pocket.. and stayed there 2.5 months in Kyoto and Kanazawa (spoke enough japanese to get by but I got better )(traveled to Osaka, Shige). I went to school there,(stayed with two host families) festivals and even beaches..matsuris and temples and what not. even went clubing. going to mini resturants. I felt like I was actually living there..But yet this was my first trip ever (I never even traveled out of Queens, Ny.well except for Otakon in Baltimore)How I got this money.. to forfill this dream. Yeah I got a 5k loan...(in which i kinda regret and i kinda dont cause i owe70k in loans) and 1k from working my ass off... and even though i came home with 10000 yen ($100)in my pocket it was worth it.

to go to japan for 15 days and spending 6k... is not worth it.. if you really want to get the full experience of it.. do a laison programs. Meaning if you want to go there study japanese for the summer. you get to do alot of things besides going to school. you'll be meeting other students well.. not japanese students as much but other students from all over the world. alot of jet teachers i met in my school. The school I wasin was an art school which every now and then. (hehehe there is so much to talk about)
    Its not the end of the world if you dont go.
    If you want information..send me a pm i'll get you some info on the laison program I went to. never had any regrets.

But yeah.... if you really want to travel. you either get a loan. or get a job and save that money. There is no fast cash unless your willing to sell yourself(YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT) there are alot of factors when your traveling abroad. The Banking system over there isnt very easy, especially when your a foreigner. and hotels/ or hostels... Ive heard crazy stories from a friend when we were both there when he was at a hostel. Traveling around.. is totally different.

ah well..good luck to you. But if you want to make your traveling experience a good experience. do alot of research. cause Im telling you now 6k for a 15 day trip.. isnt worth it. It will just go buy...very very fast. and it sounds like you want to get a full immersion of the life there...

there is so much I want to talk about with you... But listen. I had the same desire to go to japan for years.. ever since I was a little kid.. to see what it was like.... I got to achieve that reality at 22. If you dont have a chance to go to on this one. Which in my opinion would be a waste of your money. Look for other programs.

oh.btw.. i keep on editing .. a laison program is that you can go in at anytime..and leave anytime you want. For Kyoto I stayed for the entire more than a month of the program plus a week or so .. and the last 3 weeks in Kanazawa. Plus other traveling.. This took place during the summer time.
    Last edited by White Rose; August 17th, 2006 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Jedmo-- Yes, it's SCAD. I was wondering about that too, actually; tuition this quarter is about 7,000 dollars, and I was a bit curious as to why a 15 day course was going to cost me nearly as much as a ten week one. I was going to ask some folks back at school what they thought of the off campus programs, since I had some friends who went on one, but if folks have been coming back with lukewarm opinions of it then I'm definitely not going to bother. If I'm going to drop that kind of cash on a program, I except it to be AMAZING, not just ok.

White Rose-- That sounds like a great idea! I knew about foreign exchange programs, but I'd always figured they had to be done through your school; I didn't know they had ones valid any time of year. That sounds like something I'd like to do during the summer, though I hear summertime is one of the worst times to visit Japan. I'm not a big fan of heat, and it's supposed to be hell over there.

Red_Rook-- I know. I try not to think about it. I'd probably curled into a ball rocking back and forth on the floor otherwise.

Mr. Man-- I was actually thinking of doing the jewelry thing. I've always been more impressed with homemade jewelry than the mass produced stuff, and it's a hobby I want to pick up when I get back to school. That way I'll have tons of jewelry majors to go crying to when I have no clue what the hell I'm doing.

Yeah...taking into account all factors, 6K is definitely on the pricey side. I did research last night/this morning and saw that hotel+flight on my own would set me back about 3,000 bucks for the same time period as the school-sponsored trip. Actually, that IS what the school is charging for the thing; the extra 3K is for the class. Even with Japanese inflation I'm sure I could get a lot more done with the extra cash than just a class. Yeah...hm.

All right. I'll put off the trip until another time. I'll just raise 6K so I can pay for spring quarter and knock off a few thousand bucks from what I'm borrowing this year. If I succeed in THAT, that's 14k total I won't still be paying when I'm forty and living in my nice cardboard box.

Thanks
    who ever said.. the summer is the worst time... buuuuuuuulshit

YOU!!!! need to decide when you want to go..
    during the summer..yeah Kyoto was hot as hell..and it humid days..and nice days.. Kanazawa the weather was beautiful. Ive been in 4 typhoons and 1 mini earthwuake that i didnt feel. but let me tell you. you dont need a school.. to do study abroad. if you want to do something.. got to think out of the box. if you have 1 month or 2 months to spare.. of free time.. just do your research and go.

i'll tell you like this. I have no regrets, and I would turn back the hands of time to releieve the moment again. going to japan in the summer is fun.cause theyre are alot of festivals. and nature is very beautiful over there.. especially when you visit temples like kinakuji, ginkauji. Nara. and other places. Im not the fan of the heat either... but i got over it. just drink alot of liquids.. water..pocari sweat..melon ice cream
    *laughs*
    its like being on a new journery..and your the leader of the ship
    you..make your own journey..
    hell you can even go in the spring. tooo
    just do your research and ask alot of questions.ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT ALOT..and alot of what ifs...

Thanks
    6 grand is a LOT to earn in a short period of time. Aside from drug dealing, or prostitution, you don't have many "get rich quick" options. But to be honest, the fastest way i found to earn money, was medical studies. i live next to yale, so i have access to those labs. The bad thing though...i don't smoke, do drugs, or drink heavily. If i did, i probably could earn a lot more with those studies. The ones i do pay like 60 bucks a pop, but for heavy drinkers, problem gamblers, drug users or heavy smokers, typically pay about 500 bucks a pop.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Immediate short term gratification sure is a wonderful way to fuck yourself up in the long run if you're not careful.

Make sure you really think this through before you go spending that money on top of your current debt - which might i say is really not that little aready.

But if you feel the trip would be life altering, then $6000 is nothing. Its a matter of perspective.

Good luck, m.

Thanks
    I need some help myself.
    I need to get $80 for a new video card and $20 to rent a CS: S server until I can start charging people for admin-ship with paypal...

I need all of this from art commissions without a design or illustration degree, and without having to get a real job in the mean time.

Thanks
    That's smart, spend 6k for 15 days when you're piss broke and in school. Now that's thinking! As long as we're making horrible financial decisions here, let's make some ethical ones too. I suggest blowing strangers in the back alley of a seedy bar, preferably bearded biker types that will slap you around a bit too. Maybe a situation like this would help you realize that 6k is a large some of money. Think about all the biker's you'd have to blow, man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast