1105: Weird: BARNACLE-MAN IS COVERED WITH JOINTED BONY PLATES AND PINKISH GILLS

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

[ He's not actually human, so feel free to keep it only vaguely human in shape. ]

[ Barnacles are rather creepy, so I expect Barnacle-Man will be rather creepy, too. ]

[ By "gills" I don't mean like a fish's gills... ]

[ ...I mean more like blobby tubes in the recesses of the plating, perhaps with feathery extensions... ]

[ Something in that vein. ]

[ If you're happier with Tech stuff, and this sounds too organic, just think of it as a highly-textured, jointed body-armour with weird red-pink tubing and rubber and lacking flashing lights. ]

[ If you can't help yourself, and have to put a bit of a weathered i.d. number on the chest... So be it. ]

[ ]

Weird: BARNACLE-MAN IS COVERED WITH JOINTED BONY PLATES AND PINKISH GILLS

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    organic/.......I like organic
    chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well.. was kind of tired last night when I wrote down the tags.. but these are my versions

Last edited by grembloh; August 16th, 2006 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by machzero; August 16th, 2006 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here is my take on this topic… I wanted to try some colors, so this is done in… mmm… cake chalk?... Just kidding, I don’t know how this are called in English, in Spanish they are “tizas pastel”. Over this color base I worked with charcoal, just to keep practicing with this material… Took me about an hour and a half.

Last edited by hergo; August 17th, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
    None... Sketchbook
    In eo quod amatur, aut non laboratur, aut et labor amatur.

Dubito ergo cogito, cogito hergo.. sum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ruling with an iron fist, Barnacle man is the mid-boss of the tidal pools, and has to answer only to octopus guy.
    painter, 30?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grembloh - I really like your colors on the second one!

Barnacle-man chows down on buttered slug guts;
    the food of choice for any upstanding deep sea mongrel
    I'm not really happy with how this turned out. Maybe I need to
    work on my technique a bit. I dunno, any suggestions?

Last edited by airrunkle; August 16th, 2006 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grembloh - like the idea of attaching him to the rock...nice touch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well this is as far as I got. Bit late in the day to finish it now, but oh well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PS, approx 3 h.

Last edited by Crustacean; October 11th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

airrunkle.. thank you. Got me inspired to do one more. So I tried to combine them. by the way.. whats he doing... why 's he stuck with his hand if he's eating?
    machzero: I like the rough structure on the .. things.. head. Seems you have made the focus important, mayby the thing will look even better in sharper focus.
    Aga: cool environment! and nice expression, he really looks miserable.

Last edited by grembloh; August 16th, 2006 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    90 minutes of joy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff, people!
    Was a bit clueless about this topic...turned out to be one of my generic creatures

40 mins.

Ah yes, someone asked for a step-by step. I saved the progress
    here it is:

Walkthrough

Last edited by Hideyoshi; August 16th, 2006 at 07:25 PM.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some crits if you don't mind...

grembloh: wow, very productive! Your 1st has a slightly wonky anatomy, I am sure you know it yourself. I am not the guy to crit about anatomy anyway
    2nd and 3rd are both very nice! Good colours and design!

Machzero: values work well! Colours are fitting. Also the design has it's strength. Good to see you practising with colours! You should definitely use more hard-edged brushes, though and put emphasis on every stroke.
    Some texture brushes would be cool also

Hamsta (the DSG veteran):
    coming along nicely. Good concept! You should really start to put in sharper details though! Get the small brushes now!

Aga: good concept, nice angle. But those scribbly brushes kill the feel of depth. Could use some athmospheric perspective... (assuming he is in the water)

airrunkle: that's a good one! Values work well! You should put more thought into your actual drawing technique. Give the lines some dynamic as I said earlier above. Some well-defined design elements would work wonders I think!

mrdigs: cool concept, I like it!

hazzard and crustacean: creative designs as well!

Chai: try to break up the soft brushes with carefully places hard-edged design elements, it looks just too soft right now. Add texture, boost up the contrast and have some colour variation. Water definitely needs more depth also.
    Welcome to the DSG!
    I hope I didn't offend you, just wanted to help!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arrg am I too late? Anyways here's mine. 2 hours, pen on paper toned with watercolor. My second DSG. I feel like there's not enough contrast, but I'm afraid to add shadow for fear of covering up detail.

Please critique. Image now updated. highlights added with white conte.

Last edited by MrJackson; August 17th, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´d probably give the creature a second transparent coating of watercolor in the shadow parts, then add some light with a brighter crayon/pastel/colored pencil, accenting details and so on. If you have the opportunity to work digitally, continue the work in different layers to avoid irreversibly damaging you image. I like your design, btw.

Great to see your process, Hideyoshi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow another glaze of watercolor...that's really smart. Woo thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey All, probably will repost later, been spending too much time on this for just B/W... More man than barnacle and still a work in progress...
    30 min concept, I'm not even going to admit to how much time in clean up and inking in Photoshop
    Might colorize later on...

Hideyoshi - once again great showing
    Grembloh - absolutely awsome color one the blue tinted pieces, the pink doesn't have the same completion as the other ones so hard to critique along side them
    Crustacean - Just wanted to mention you too because I like the work
    Machzero - reminds me of Swampthing, and i like it

Last edited by Blue_Tiger; August 17th, 2006 at 01:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    remembering both Goose necked baRNACLES
    and that barnacles are crustaceans,,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi
    Chai: try to break up the soft brushes with carefully places hard-edged design elements, it looks just too soft right now. Add texture, boost up the contrast and have some colour variation. Water definitely needs more depth also.
    Welcome to the DSG!
    I hope I didn't offend you, just wanted to help!
    Hey thanks Hideyoshi man, i gotta say it's nice someone takes the time to critic the work people do here.
    Your suggestions are good, especially simulating water depth via color variation and although i'm happy with the body, i haven't visualized the head in 3d space well.

Btw, in your walkthrough between step 1 to 2, what method do you use to color your piece ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine. Hideyoshi, thanks a lot for the walkthrough, I painted this one first in black and white and built up detail with color modes afterward. Made a huge difference in speed, this took me about 1 hour!! If anyone wants to see my steps, let me know. Too bad it's after hours at work and my girlfriend's waiting for me at the pub, or I'd add a bit more detail. Perhaps tomorrow.

Like my art? Check out my new uber-artistic puzzle game for iPhone and iPod Touch, PushPixPull!

Your optic nerves cannot withstand art of this magnitude! (June 13, added TUTORIALS!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for the crit Hydeoshi
    and yeap, the upper part doesn't look like wather - I'm trying to avoid too realistic way of drawing/painting and want to figure out sth else, not always work it well
    nice to see your step by step - look good, nice colours- for the time being I can't figured out any else crit

thx grembloh like the way you painted the 2nd and 3th. Probably like the 3th more because is closer with the topic

mrdigs- like your concept, how you did head and pink hands

Hamsta - I agree with Hydeoshi - you should start doing ( from time to time) more finished works. Your pictures are a solid base.

Blue Tiger- like the elements from which you build his plating.
    I think that the teksture of wather doesn't fit to the pict

cool pictures burrito,Crustcean

sandworm- I like in your works that you try diffrent approach( in the way of drawing/painting), and I think that your works are intresting

Last edited by Aga; August 17th, 2006 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool to see all the feedback on this topic...not sure I've got much advice to give but i'll try !

thanks hideyoshi - good to see your step by step, nice design.

burrito - that's fresh !

sandworm - like the way you find different approaches for your concepts, be good to see your steps.

Blue_Tiger - Like your design, and the moonlight works really well...I agree with aga about the water - think a change of texture would work better there.

Aga - thanks, the hand and hands are holding it together i think - might rework the rest if i get time.

MrJackson - Like the organic feel of yours - I also think some highlights would work well on yours to bring out the form, the shadow seems a bit inconsistent, like where the shadow on the floor is cast versus the barnacle shapes on the left edge ? Having said that light/shadow is one of my weakest things so I could be totally wrong on that !

Crustacean - cool, definitely feels like it's underwater too !

Hamsta - Gotta agree with hideyoshi and aga, you turn out good designs, think some finer detail would really make them pop.

Aga - like the idea, the shrimp/prawn thing on his back works well, think maybe the black outlines are killing it slightly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aga-- I love drawn quality of yours especially the line work
    Sandworm --it's a great hous-y thing , cool idea and good value range

chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aga and MrDigs - I completely agree about the water texture, not only out of place but not very good. I was running on fumes last night and tried to cheat it with a lighting effect. My wife made the same comment about it too. I plan on changing it later. Thanks for the critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx mrdings, I even thought about erasing linework a bit, but forgot about it during work

thx a lot chaosrock
    your pict looks a bit sketchy
    maybe the BG will give to it more finished look.
    maybe just simple(bg), a couple shapes to show the perspective and suggest the type of enviroment, or sth quite abstractive
    btw he remind me of carnival in Rio de Janeiro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had another go at colouring this - tried to use the brushes with the opacity and the flow turned down and built it up that way using white and grey then threw an overlay on it to tint it.

think the character could do with some changes, like moving the legs to give it more of a bulky feel...doubt i'll get round to it tho.

i'm wondering how i could add more realism to this and make it a bit more believable ? the linework's probably part of the problem but any suggestions on the colouring side would be appreciated !

ok...sorry for the big post !

Last edited by mrdigs; August 19th, 2006 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Tweaked image...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mrdigs: the key to realism in a painting lies in correct lighting and values. It's not so much the details even. The ultimate master of realitic digital painting is Craig Mullins you all know his art surely - www.goodbrush.com
    Studying his work in the beginning seems quite difficult and incomprehensible because he is at such a high level.
    Also, tutorials on lighting are essential: check this one out: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light01.htm
    Concening your image specifically i'd suggest placing the character in a setting- that will immediately give an air of realism to it. Also lineart is a killer for realistic portrayal as you pointed out already. But most of all, check for correct lighting and value range!

Blue Tiger: thanks!
    your drawing is nice. The only BIG problem is the texture! You need to transform it in perspective and lay it onto the water surface then! Otherwise it kills all the depth and looks wrong. Sky needs value difference!

Chai: glad I could help!
    For this, I did an adjustment layer with gradient settings (don't know the exact terms as I have a German PS version), I only used this colouring technique twice thus far...
    On other times I just throw in some colour with overlay brushes quickly.
    But actually I don't start monochromatic always. Just more comfortable and faster most of the time...

sandworm: you're welcome, good work!

Aga: thanks!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.