Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts

a-painting-a-day in oils

Greetings!

I used to paint in acrylics, but more and more I found myself wanting the acrylics to be more like oils. Lately I haven’t been painting at all – just using Photoshop and Maya at work. I have been longing for a squishy medium! And I found an artist to be inspired by:

http://duanekeiser.blogspot.com/

So, I finally picked up a set of oils, revived what little I learned of the darn things back in college, and started pushing pigments around.

My assignment is to do one one-hour painting each day. My objectives are to master color, form, and brush-strokes that looks fresh and quick. I’m starting with still-lifes, and I’m going to be like a katamari: slowly rolling my way from tiny, simple objects upward.

There will be a delay of a few days between when I paint ‘em and when I post ‘em, due to me fumblingly figuring out the best way to turn small, gooey paintings into blips on the monitor.

All feedback greatly appreciated!

Here goes. . .
    Last edited by Seedling; November 20th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The adventure continues. As it turns out, painting “roundish” objects is far, far easier than painting round objects. It was nice to focus on getting such a monochrome subject exactly right, color-wise, including the shadows.

Thanks
    I had some nice shades of blue leftover from the previous day’s blueberries, and I had a bluejay feather a friend had given me. I jumped up and down and squealed with glee when this one came together. Especially since I had only a half hour. It’s hard to get myself going in the morning.

Thanks
    Banana! somehow, I took a subject that I find to be dirt dull and I made it sing! Yay!

Thanks
    And in trying to use the previous day’s pre-mixed banana colors, I bit off more than I could chew. My mistake: not mixing up the full range of colors for the banana fruit and the inside of the peel. This whole image is kinda “off”.

Thanks
    very inspirational and impressive... the colors might be "off" in the last one (although I don't see it), but it's instantly readable....

Thanks
    Nice stuff. Getting more practice under your belt is the thing to do at the moment. You have a good idea of what you want to do which is good. Im not sure about setting yourself an hour a painting. I feel you could work more time into one sometimes. You could look into colour theory to help with your search to master colour too.

Thanks
    A-painting-a-day , huh?
    Awesome idea.
    but Bendragon's right. 1 hour might be too short.
    Especially, when you've only started. You ought watch the colours more carefully and practice mixing em more efficiant. Some look off, too muddy or to bright right now.
    I'm sure you'll improve on these rather quickly though.
    So long....

Thanks
    Really inspiring! Love the tone you get from the warm background with light blue on it. Thanks for that link! The guy is amazing, and the movies of the process is really educational for me too.

Keep em coming

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Glikster: yay, thanks!

Bendragon: An hour will have to do, because it’s what I’ve got. At any rate, I practiced an hour a day at the piano for years with good results, and for a few months I made amazing progress doing this same drill with acrylics. At any rate, I want to regain that discipline. Also. A friend and teacher of mine did this with oils only in half-hour increments. I really don’t know how he did that, because it takes me a half hour just to mix the colors!

Blacky: yeah, I’m hoping with time I’ll get better at hitting the colors on the head. I know I’m still all over the map. :-)

Gorgnut: thanks! Yeah, seeing his work every day really started to remind me of how I was sitting on my butt, painting nothing. . .

Oops, it’s 7:30. I need to suck down my tea and start painting. . .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bleah, another too-hard-for-where-I'm-at subject. I spent too much time mixing colors, and had to rush the painting.

Thanks
    Hey Michelle! Nice work. Your shadows are great, especially on the second golf tee.

I dunno, I think the dragonfly is good.

I say: if all you have is an hour, then an hour is better than nothing, and doing a new piece everyday will only force you to get better and faster.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Oh, and the skin on the banana is great too. You definitely captured that with a great use of a variety of colors.

Thanks
    Thanks Sean!

Today’s gooey experiment: a lime.

I’m ashamed that I never spent time in college studying the uses of the color green. I’ve known for ages that I have a harder time getting green pigments right than almost any other color. Green is one of the most important colors, and yet I neglected it. :-P

I spent three-fourths of my hour today just mixing the colors. And cursing. Cursing helps.

Thanks

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast