Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

What would it take....

Last edited by Atherium; June 27th, 2003 at 10:24 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Blowjobs.

Your only as good as you draw.

Thanks
    What would it take to keep a talented group of artists together for a non paying project?

Blowjobs

Thanks
    Blowjobs.

seriously, who would spend a year working on something that could be a complete waste of time. its like playing make-believe or something. i'm a "concept designer" wheeeeee!!!

Thanks
    Blowjobs and pie. PIE!

Thanks
    hmm, i would do it for TRUE LOVE. nothing sort of true love will get me to do something like this..... or the ablity to fly! like superpowers.

Thanks

been there..done that...

don't wanna go back.

nobody works for free buddy, and art is a lot of work.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to llothcat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

unless you can take the chrome of a trailer hitch ball...

.. then find the money to pay artists. If your project really had merit then you would find a way to pay the people involved. If you don't feel that tossing around a few bills is worth it then get used to seeing artists bail.

Every now and then i get bored and consider working on anything, even without cost, just to Do something, but that feeling passes quickly... most notably when im hungry and homeless from not getting paid.

Thanks
    Definitely blowjobs.
    and loads of coffie.
    and beer.

Thanks

Leadership, vision and enthusiam

Hi Atherium

I believe that if the leader of the project has charm, vision and is able to motivate people that the project can have alot of productivity even if there's no pay.

I worked for free 2 years on a movie that actually got made and I never saw a buck from it even though promises and shares and points were handed out both left and right by the producer.

But as a leader for a volenteer production or speculation production you may never take your crew for granted, you can never make demands and you can never have temper or mood swings with your crew.

If you do you loose the morale of the crew.

I've been on both sides of this, as the creator and leader and as the grunt.

I hope this helps a little.

Break a leg,
    Leopoldo

By the way. If you are writing features sell the scripts and not the designs. Find an agent that's looking for new writing talent and get productions done that way. Why do you need the concept art in the first place? I know it's really cool and all, but the money man is first of all looking at the story. No story no show. No show no audience. No audience no money. No money no salary... for you, and no profit for the investors.
    www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leopoldo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Atherium,

One thing you have to do is make sure you feed 'em, even if it's only a quick lunch. I've been doing volunteer work for years (Boy Scouts, church, community service, etc.) and the most successful jobs I've seen done are where the volunteers get food. That's their pay. You don't tell them that, but that's the way it is. My dad is great at cooking and when he signs up as the cook, there's always more than enough workers to get the job done.

A little lunch can go a long way.

Chris

P.S. You need a little extra work done? Email me at jarvis2824@yahoo.com. I don't have a job right now and I could use the experience.
    "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Unfortunately the resulting sparks set fire to any nearby artworks."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jarvis2824 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another cock-eyed optimist chimes in...

What would it take?

Depends. Some people are willing to take a chance, others are looking for something more iron-clad. Myself, I would see it as portfolio builder, whether the final project is successfully launched or not.

No right or wrong, just differences in priorities.

Having said that, contact me at

goldenrod_71@hotmail.com

I'm one of those crazy bastards from the former category.
    let me know what you need, and we'll chat.

Thanks
    hypocritical

you may be a decent guy and this project may have some potential merit, but how do you justify criticizing the artists you don't pay for not bleeding themselves dry? you're throwing around words like ethics and inspiration, and that line about maybe you're just a guy who has faith -- way too self righteous for someone asking for favors

you're trying to make use of other people's talent, training, skill and time, you'll get what you pay for I think

Thanks
    ETP, I agree with that to a point and from an outside perspective I would say it would be normal to think "hey if this thing is so damn good then why does it not have capital?"
    Well it could, and it has been offered but not in the right way because it would have meant loss of control and ownership.

Grey, don't put words in my mouth ever again. I did not say that I was bleeding these artists dry, I am only holding them to the promises they make. I expect nothing more then what they tell me they will do, but when they start doing nothing at all, I tend to ask questions. "you're trying to make use of other people's talent, training, skill and time, you'll get what you pay for I think." I think the door swings both ways here grey because they own and keep the work they do. The project gets none of it in the end if it is not picked up. Their portfolios benefit as well as their resume. I simply have the screenplays in the beginning of all of this as well as in the end. And as a plus maybe some of these guys don't have the networking skills or time to bring a group together for a large collaberation over a long period of time, so maybe in the end I am the one who may get used. Thanks so much for that great response though.

RMick thanks man, I will be sure to drop you a line.

Leo thanx too.

As for the blowjobs I'll ask if that can be put into the NDA's.

Next!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Atherium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Originally posted by Atherium
    Thanks so much for that great response though.
    hey anytime, glad I could help!

Thanks
    Heres a few tips. Ive worked for free before and i know what kept me working.

Feed the artists atleast once every six hours of work. This is probably the most important thing to do. Im not kidding, food is vital. Supply the cofee and tea, and if you really want them to work, buy them sweets and smokes. If youre working over the internet without any actual contact except for e-mails, this can be a hard thing to achieve..

Even if you cant pay for their work, you should atleast try and pay for their artsupplies.

Make sure the artists know that you are workin atlest 10 times more then anyone of them, even if youre not. Important.

Try to pay them, even if its just this one dollar you found on the way home from the unemployment office.

Oral sex helps too.

Thanks
    I worked for free for about a year, and met alot of other people starting out in the games industry, i was working for free all the way up until a mate on a mod team got me a lead on a concepting job because on of his freinds was on a concept team that needed more people, all in all its about making freinds who know other people, at least thats what i took away from it..

but i still dont recomend it. Its a terrible risk of wasting ALOT of time...

cheers
    -alti

Thanks
    The best way to do it would be to start an extra curriclar program at some high school. That way it would be free but you wouldn't have that much talent. If you want talent you have to pay

Thanks
    ...i find it odd that super powers are on a parallel with true love....:-P

but yeah money makes thigns happen. every artist likes to create but not everyone has the ability to work on something and not get paid....rent, food, strippers..errr. these things need to be paid for. it sucks but its real life

Thanks
    ..wow alot of wise words, im from toronto and im insanely in love with cg and concept art, i had alot of questions in my mind but i think half of them have just been answered... I was basically hired for a small cg house in mississauaga canada right after highschool, i basically got the job through my highschoool co-op program which lasted about 6 months and hired 2 weeks after it was over... Im new in the industry, basically 2 years in..and im glad to have met ppl although i did work for free for the 6 months which is a short time to ppl who spent years working for free, but to me i met alot of ppl and i got alot of help..and i believe that i have a very lethal hand with me right now because my drive and the help i got..so a little free work sometime has good results

Thanks
    what do you need done?
    Alexandra Lee Hicks

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alski87 View Post
    what do you need done?
    He needs a time machine built so he can travel four years into the future and tell you.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HosStyle View Post
    I second that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    hmm, i would do it for TRUE LOVE. nothing sort of true love will get me to do something like this..... or the ablity to fly! like superpowers.
    My best friend and myself put ourselves in comic book indentured servitude for 2 years. She was in love with the producer and wanted him to notice her, and I loved her and wanted her to be happy. They are now dating.

My boyfriend says he'd do it for blowjobs.

Point? The matter is way up in the air.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by togusa View Post
    Blowjobs.

seriously, who would spend a year working on something that could be a complete waste of time. its like playing make-believe or something. i'm a "concept designer" wheeeeee!!!
    To build up your portfolio?

To become a better artist?

To gain some experience working with others?

To learn?

Saying all that, I totally understand if your at the point where your art is past mediocre and your looking to make some real money, but i began the concept art route by actually doing just that, working for free and having a good time learning. Remember, nothing is a waste of time if you put the effort into it. Of course, blowjobs are nice too.
    My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Why why why does this thread keep getting necroed?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    This thread is fascinating.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Someones getting payed in blowjobs to ressurect it.

Thanks
    blowjobs now feel greedy thinking full on sex... and caffeine
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atherium View Post
    Grey, don't put words in my mouth ever again. I did not say that I was bleeding these artists dry, I am only holding them to the promises they make. I expect nothing more then what they tell me they will do, but when they start doing nothing at all, I tend to ask questions.
    That is a smelly pile of bullshit if I've ever seen one. You had no business asking them to commit in the 1st place. Forget what they "tell you they will do;" if they aren't getting paid they don't have to do anything. If you aren't paying them you are in no position to be asking questions. Grey was right, you were wrong, stop being high and mighty, and you have no ground to say otherwise so shut up.

"you're trying to make use of other people's talent, training, skill and time, you'll get what you pay for I think." I think the door swings both ways here grey because they own and keep the work they do. The project gets none of it in the end if it is not picked up. Their portfolios benefit as well as their resume.
    Don't you DARE start trying to tow that line. If they are doing art then their portfolios will benefit anyways, no thanks to you. Their resumes would benefit a lot more if it was a real job; what you are offering is just about as helpful on a resume as noting that they were a member of the highschool art club. Owning and keeping the work they do is not a favor either. Without paying them you would be sued and possibly thrown in jail if you didn't let them own and keep their work.

I simply have the screenplays in the beginning of all of this as well as in the end. And as a plus maybe some of these guys don't have the networking skills or time to bring a group together for a large collaberation over a long period of time, so maybe in the end I am the one who may get used. Thanks so much for that great response though.
    wait wait wait, you have work done for free, you use that work in your screenplay, you keep the rights to that screenplay, you get recognition for bringing the thing together, and you have the cajones to say YOU are being used? You son of a bitch! You do not even realise how much of a self centered egotistical fuck you are! Any artist with a shred of decency will throw you the bird and tell you to sit and spin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.