CHOW#37 - VOTING - Thief - Human/Animal mix.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your CHOWracter

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 13.16%
  • 6 5.26%
  • 10 8.77%
  • 1 0.88%
  • 4 3.51%
  • 60 52.63%
  • 17 14.91%
  • 8 7.02%
  • 9 7.89%
  • 3 2.63%
  • 22 19.30%
  • 1 0.88%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 2 1.75%
  • 3 2.63%
  • 5 4.39%
  • 1 0.88%
  • 5 4.39%
  • 24 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

CHOW#37 - VOTING - Thief - Human/Animal mix.

ROUND #37
    --------------------------
    Thief - Human/Animal mix
    The father of our subject... was a famous thief. He spent a fortune to turn his prodigy into.. what we are dealing today - probably to take his legacy even further - to create the best thief ever. Without a mother and firends... we believe that it is trained in every area that can affect his "job".
    We need its image... please help.

Topic elements:
    1 = human
    2 = animal
    3 = thief
    Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 4 VOTES for each topic covered.
    3 extra votes will be offered for the description.

VOTES: ***X - means you have all the topic elements and the story. the rest you figure it out. i will add the votes at the end.. if they make a difference (i would do it now but.. no time)

POLL RULES
    (for the new people)
    NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE TAKEN TO THE POLL.
    (the selection is based on technical quality criteria)
    ENTRIES NOT POLLED WILL RECEIVE C&C
    (i really try to do this every time)
    IT IS A DIFFICULT PROCESS - MISTAKES CAN BE MADE
    I am trying to set this as a professional demand. I act as the client...
    Oblio is always looking for feedback - If Oblio is wrong - tell him so.

Great Round.
    I will give my C&C for the rejected ones and i will announce the topic later.
    The votes will be added if the battle is close.
    thx.

WINNER

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; September 5th, 2006 at 11:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Edit: Final

From the diary of Lady Corvus
    "August 21st, 1913

I was horrified! I was woken by a cold wind. I noticed my balcony doors were open. As my vision started to adapt to the darkness, I could see an outline of a creature hunched over my dresser table. At first I thought it might be the ghost of my husband who had passed away. My hearts stopped when I saw the outline of a birds head where it's face ought to be. My senses could not face this abomination and I screamed my lunges out. Startled by my scream the strange beast ran to the door. It had the walk of a human. Yet I could hear it's feathers rustle as it dove from my balcony, flying away into the night. After I calmed down I lighted a candle. My precious jewelry boxes were opened, and I was missing my most valued pearl necklace. The strange being wasn't a monster out to take my life. It was but a mere thief!"

Thanks
    FINAL:

Created by the famous thief. His "daughter" is obviously trained in every area of thievery. Withouth a doubt she's here to surpass her fathers name and every other thief on earth.

Eiko, a human being crossed with a cat. She has cat-like-abilities a normal human can never achieve. Stealth, speed, jumppower, eyes which enables her to see in the dark and the fastest hand movements you have never seen before. She possesses all. The most terrifying fact is that she's only 17 years old. We don't know what her limitations will be when she's grown up.

She's suspected to always wear some kind of hat and a white sleeve at her
    back to hide her cat ears and tail. Most people who have seen her running only remember 3 white sleeves. It's like the wind is coming by.

She's hard to chase because of her movement speed, high jumping ability and ability to turn sharp corners without reducing speed. (like in the picture)

Another ability her father didn't had was...
    The ability to distract males, she's a women...

Thanks

All in

Oh yes I am making sure to make an entry this round... ok here is my real entry I tried to think of an animal that would make a good thief but wasn't done yet. Here it is.

Odo Oswald Oakenthral;
    Odo's childhood was much like any other normal childhood. He spent his early years playing with his father games of hide and go seek guards and robbers and how to pick the lock to his crib. As the years went past the games became more and more serious, and these games became training. For Odo Owswald oakenthral was the only son of the master thief known as the Gray Shadow. Odo's father marveled at his son's abilities of guile and soon he became so good that he finally retired and let Odo take the role of master thief.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    FINAL

Kerchi, a k'ang ga foo, was born in to a family of thieves and has known the art of thievery since he could walk. His padded shoes, small size (4 feet 8 inches), and many tools help him get in and out of any operation. Normally Kerchi heists diamond museums, but the occational gold ruby studded ballard can tickle his fancy.

Thanks
    did a complete 180 with my idea. Story coming in a bit. Damn, there's some fabulous entries here.

Who'd ever guess that mild mannered, cross-eyed Arthus McKinley was really the city's most notorious thief: the Chameleon.
    His father spent a small fortune (though nothing compared to the collection Arthur's amassed over the years) creating the perfect hybrid of man and animal. With the ability to blend into the background, hang upside down with the use of his tail, and a sticky tongue for grabbing goodies Arthur is an unparalleled thief.

Thanks
    I saw a squid show on DiscoveryHD last week and have wanted to draw something with Cephalopods ever since.
    Here's my drawing. I hope to have it fully painted before the deadline but I might not make it.

And here's the final:

As shipping routes were first being established in the eastern Mediterranean, a timid aquatic civilization was being displaced by the growing traffic and trade. In a hopeless attempt to preserve their secluded way of life, these Cephalopodic humanoids conducted raids on port markets. The Octopus men were perfectly adapted for thievery with skin that could morph color and texture to blend in with all the rich patterns of the bazaar and a tentacle for every tasty morsel. Regrettably, as much as they stole and sabotaged, it was not enough to stem the surging tide of commerce.

Thanks
    I finished up, and it's before midnight somewhere in the Pacific, so I think I'm good. Some of the lemur was from ref. The background still needs work, but that's all for tonight.

Beware the lemur footpads when travelling among the great cities of the Raining Isles. Fleet of claw and able to bound great distances, they can ambush from any angle. Be especially careful if you are wearing flashy jewelry or shining mail, for they are known to covet all reflective objects.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Finished-

Bob Kane took his inspiration for batman from a more tangible source than he would have people believe. At a young age his family home was broken into through the skylight by a diminuitive, cowled stranger. Bob was the only person to actually see the creature, being unable to sleep because of the storm outside. He caught a glimpse of a snout-like face and huge twitching ears before the thief dove through a third story window, arms full of jewellery.

Thanks
    Arn Beng'el was outlawed a heretic and a thief, in most towns of his time. His legacy did not truly grow into legend until after his death, when his first home was raided and revealed directions to a second home where some of the greatest treasures and mysteries in known history were hidden. Diagrams for the sacred pyramids of Kosst, and over two dozen peasant outfits were found under his bed. Among his greatest fortunes was the crystic ruby necklace that Armahn had bundled up in a pouch which draped across his belly.

Thanks

I shot this polaroid in NYC and sold it to the National Enquirer for 30,000 bucks. Later, Weekly World News tried to offer more, but it was too late. I had heard of this thief... this vultureman thing that the cops couldn't ever catch. Everybody was talking about it, but no one could prove they had seen it. Then voila, on my last night there, I look out my hotel window and there he was trying to wedge himself up between two buildings. Only in New York City....

Thanks
    ´Tis will be the first time I put a piece of mine in this here CHOW here. It´s always full of great art here (and this round seems to promise to stick to that tradition) so I´m a bit nervous about it actually.
    Oh well, here goes.

Description:

The hybrid: The body of a small ape and two extra limbs in the form of tentacles with human hands. His body is designed for quickness, agility and stealth while the tentacles and hands are perfect for pickpocketing.

The story: After a long life Bilîmet was old and tired. He came to a point where he realised that he would no longer be able to go on as the famous thief who evaded capture again and again. But he was not ready to give up on crime and spent a couple of years and a hefty sum of money hiring the best alchemist he could find (paying some of them in money he had actually stolen from them during the years) to create a partner in crime for himself. His work was a success with the birth of Loco, the little primate with tentacles and human hands. After training the creature in the art of pickpocketing and catburglaring Bilîmet took Loco with him from town to town. First Bilîmet would entertain his audience as a streetperforming magician under the name of The amazing Mustardo while Loco swiftly robbed the crowds clean of anything valuable they were carrying and after that they would loot as many houses as they could manage under the cover of nightfall before setting off for the next place.

Thanks
    Fred thats just fruiting awesome...

Just as i was about to get excited about my WIP, you have to post somthing of such quality.. its a shame

so here my humble WIP: mix racoon/human, story will come later

EDIT: Heres the final

"In the midst of the night i suddenly ran into 'it'... This must have been the creature everybody was talking of. Weeks ago a scientist suddenly dissapeared, and so his did his experiments and knowledge of mutations.
    The police has organised a battue, but with no results. In the meantime towns and cities all over Great Britain have faced several thieveries. The objects stolen however make no sense: barbed wire, uranium, cyanide, corn flakes a cute little rabbit and lots of other things.
    People all over the world, but especially in Great Britain are terrified and asking themselves: What if he and his creatures are building a weapon to destroy the world? And what if we can no longer eat corn flakes? And where the fruit is my rabbit!?
    All i know is that as soon as i tried to get my gun an astonashing blow hit my head, and ever since have i saw this creature again..."

Last edited by Lewis; August 14th, 2006 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

Chow 37 thief/animal

this is my first attempt at a CHOW so be nice lol
    i dont know if its up to the standard but i might as well enter now ive done it

done in watercolour and pencil, took a while

i also went for the tentacle idea, and wings, (although he wouldnt have enough muscle mass to fly, he would only be able to glide short distances)

story: the greed of the master thief knew no bounds. after he 'retired' into hiding he was willing to sacrifice his only son to create a creature to surpass even his own skill in stealth and thievery, to go after the only prize he had never been able to steal. through genetical and surgical experiments, his new creation gained incredible reflexes and could move in silence through the shadows. The surgery, however, destroyed the thief's son completely. what emerged was not recognisable, an unnatural creature tortured by change and its own hideousness. When it saw itself it killed it's 'father' in a rage of tormented spite and escaped silently into the night.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts

Malugnum,the chamaeleon thief.
    Once a normal bum and pickpocket,Sam Snot was picked up by scientists to become part of their experiment in enchancing human genes with animal's. He escaped though,as he had become part chamaeleon,part human,and now uses his abilities to get inside museums etc. for more valuable goods to steal. His hideous appearance makes it hard for him to get any good deals with smugglers though,so he has to steal ever more to get enough money for living.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks

It seemed like such a good idea, the old master thief remembered. Magpies were natural thieves, especially for shiny things. What better trait (besides that of flight) for a jewel thief to posses? He should've know better. Oh, she was an excellant jewel thief...but why, oh why did she also have to bring in every shiny bit of metal or glass she saw along the way..?

Thanks

Infamous for his tremendous blunders, Herman “the Flying Squirrel” Schitz was known in his time to be the worst thief in the world and the laughing stock of burglars and constabulary alike. Having on many occasions attempted to procure many pieces of renaissance painting from the local museum, but never once actually getting inside the building. This job remained his holy grail and amidst his autumn years, full of scorn and contempt, called upon the biology career he had abandoned and set out to engineer the perfect thief. Using his own DNA and that of the ring tailed lemur he gave birth to Linus. Powerful lemur legs, feet, and tail combined with the logic and dexterity and human upper extremities created the ultimate shady snatcher. Alas, the brute was too perfect and left no clues or patterns as to it's pilfering. Many victims were even convinced they had simply misplaced their lost treasure, so good were it's skills. This lack of attention enraged the Flying Squirrel and in a last desperate attempt to vindicate his name set off to clean out the local art museum himself. He boorishly smashed into the museum and began taking down all the paintings, but to a confusing lack of alarms and consequence. To his chagrin Herman came to find that Linus had stolen all of the surveillance equipment that afternoon whilst deftly leaving the security staff unaware, with plans to come back later that night and replace all the real paintings with counterfeits it had spent months preparing in secret. In a rage the Flying Squirrel began heaving and smashing everything in sight like a drunken shot-putter. The spiraling terror ended when he bumped into a bronze tribute to a nobel warrior atop his equestrian transport and it came crashing down upon him. In the wake of the press riot that ensued, Herman Schitz in his end came to be christened with the legacy of champion of the Darwin Awards as the most foolish art thief to have ever lived. His squashed portrait graces the e-mail inbox screens of unchallenged office workers everywhere.

-Mason

Thanks

Crap! While I was trying to figure out how to get this placeholder sketch uploaded and setting up a photobucket account ya beat me to the magpie hybrid Teigrob! Ohwell, mines tiny and wearing some smart pantaloons an' a vest!
    Story:

The master thief had been thieved! After several incidences of small items "disappearing" from his stockpiles, Jerald the pilferer ceased his daily rounds, on a mission to capture the insolent upstart who had dared touch his collection.
    In hour nine of his surveillance, a light fluttering and a few chirps announced the culprit. A bleary eyed Jeral sat open-mouthed as the magpie pecked at the pile of jewelry, selected a pretty bauble, and hopped onto the shutter, squeezing right through the missing slat.

Peals of rising laughter echoed from the shuttered window...Jerald had a terrible wonderful idea.....
    Hmmm.....the alchemist owes me a favor for "returning" those artifacts the king's soldiers siezed after the *ratman* incident in the castle dungeons....

PS- is CA no longer offering the option to upload images to the server?

First you jump off the cliff and you build wings on the way down.
    --Ray Bradbury
    http://urchinator.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Hello CHOWsters,

I have been lurking around here for awhile, watching all the great art created here in CHOW and I finaly got up the nerve(and had the time) to participate. Hope you like my efort. Here it is.

story: "My father was the greatest thief that ever lived, until he tried to steal the 'Eye of Set' from a witchwoman just a little more cunning than he. Now he and all his prodgeny bare the price of his failure...his curse. He wears only some scales, webed toes and a taste for insects. But with each generation the curse mutates into more hideous form until our family line degenerates into mindless beasts and our name comes to end. But I believe I am the last, unless some poor, blind or crazy woman beds me. Wherever I go I hear the click of locks locking or the thud of doors being barred. They call me 'evil' but they are simply too weak or cowardly to take what they want...I am not. I must confess I get a twisted glee from seeing the fear in thier eyes and I am superior to normal men...I can climb verticle walls with little effort, and I am much stronger than most. My ability to remain under water for long periods of time has saved my life more than once. This is why my name will be the stuff of legend long after my fathers petty acomplishments are forgotten. I will be the greatest thief the world has ever seen, and tho my bloodline ends here, my memory will be immortal!

Thanks
    First of all Damn you Chuck. All week I was looking forward to Drawing my squid thief and you beat me to it. Your sketch looks awesome!

Sorry I have'nt been posting for a while. Been busy with some freelance work. Just had time for a pencil rendering this week.

Thanks
    If not too late, this is a final entry.

A fortune spent on genetic manipulation can yield surprising results. His offspring was no longer recognizable, let alone human. Combining the nimbleness of the dragonfly with the cunning of humans created fertile grounds the the best apprentice a master thief could ever dream for. Not satisfied, he turned again to surgery, this time to create superlight, detachable composite wings and swappable prosthetic limbs. Swift, silent, powerful and versatile, his child would soon surpass his greatest exploits. Odonata was growing up.

Last edited by gaijin; August 14th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.

Nice stuff guys.

"Missy" the Leopard Thief

Missy’s father was the greatest thief in the world. He had all the money he would ever need, but no one to share it with. So he use his money to create an offspring that was worthy to pass his knowledge to. With cutting edge technology and many failed experiments he finally created Missy. The combination of a leopard and the great thief’s genetics would make the perfect child for Missy’s father. Both superhuman in agility and cunning she would surely surpass his legacy.

Thanks
    Wow, lotsa cool stuff. Here's a panther thing.

This shadowy fiend, if your eye is quick enough, can be caught hot on the heels of Santa, sneaking into homes and stealing not the gifts he leaves, but the wrapping paper and ribbons. He is also known to plunder households of their supplies of catnip. The horror.

Thanks
    revised:

Thanks
    CHUCK MATE ENTRY

(still not content with the result.
    but i finished it just for the sake of putting another piece into the poll mush pit. the more the merrier i always say... )

final:

In the city of Umar-Kad a thief is perhaps not the most respected occupation,
    But it's sure not a bad way of making a living.
    Bir-Da`ab likes what he does. This is more than a way of life for him.
    It's an identity.
    Being the outsider that he is- half raven half man-
    The cold silence of the dark is more than a friend to Bir-Da`ab.
    Raised by an obsessed abusive father, this little boy had his future all decided for him. He would become the most famous thief that ever lived. Even if it meant becoming a monster in the process. Toying with black magic for years, his father eventually managed to combine the dark bandit-like nature of the black raven with the fragile entity of his doomed child. He then taught him all about the night life, people, possessions and the long lost art of larceny.
    Bir-Da`ab likes what he does. This is more than a way of life for him now.
    This is who he was.
    This is who he is.
    This is who he'll always be.

WIPS

EDIT:
    here's a first WIP... half-rat-man-thief

and a fast color test

Super out of practice, but here is my W.I.P. so far.
    Neat topic...oh and its a squid theif!

shoots ink and stuff

Really great entries so far.
    Beastmaster fred - kick ass piece. i love it.

this is a very quick, very rough sketch, but i`m completely not happy with it.
    so if time allows i`ll try and rework it, or create something new.
    if i won`t make it - oblio, this one`s not to be taken to poll, of course.
    (and with your strict criteria - which is absolutely great and much needed - i guess this goes without saying...)

keep it up, peeps. you all rock!

update:
    did this sketch as well.

i like it better than the rabbit, but still - not enough to finish it.
    dunno. i can`t manage to step out of banality,
    and i`m all out of energy lately...
    pld:

Last edited by Oblio; August 16th, 2006 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks
    whoa, a new talent on the boards! That's one for Chuck Wadey - easily! Welcome!
    nice entries as well by:
    main loop, Blue severin, Stephen R, Michael Jacks, beastmaster and gaijin...
    ...so you also get a vote each!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Vote for Blue Severin, And Chuck Wadey. Chucks piece is amazingly detailed and really well done. Blue severins piece is very dynamic, the most dynamic one in the set imo.

And I also added an encouragement vote for Kawaii.

Thanks
    Whew, tough one.
    Vote went to Chuck W. It was a really hard choice to make because I really, really liked Blue severin´s character and painting as well. Good job, guys... and good job, everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    man, so many amazing entries... Beastmaster Fred and Chuck Wadey your guy's stand out - love them & you got my vote

Thanks
    I voted for Beastmaster Fred. I must have a thing for tentacles. Great first Chow, I'm looking forward to more entries from you .

I also really dig main loop's. But we can only vote once. Right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1