Art: Any books for learning shading?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Any books for learning shading?

Greetings,

I have started practicing drawing, starting with the skeleton and stick figures and moving to rough outline anatomy sketches, posing etc.

I can draw the outside edge of a figure, and just some lines for details inside the figure itself. However none of my books really touch on the subject of shading. I'm most interested in modern comic shading, such as what's done in Topcow or Marvel comics these days.

I've looked for more books on shading, and cant find a good one so far. I see the end result from other art, but dont know how to practice getting there. Shading is tough to grasp for me. It looks really wrong.

Here is an example of shading that I like. It is not my drawing, it is a sketch I got from one of you guys. His name was something Chan. All credit to him.

But I want to shade like this, and need study aids to help. Any suggestions? If I had step-by-step for a drawing like this from start to finish, that would help me see how it is done.

Any books for learning shading?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All i cant say is just practice, first thing i would do is practice with shading the shadows, and not bothering with shading the different textures on a character and just sticking with the basic this side dark that side light etc. What i used to do is put a little cross where i want the light to come from, then start chading using that as a guide, if you are wanting to knwo how to do the folds on the characters clothes go here, very helpful to me in the past - http://www.cablenet.ne.jp/%7ejapanim...thingmain.html

Good Luck
    -NB-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    correct placement of values, oh and render like a slug. Thats pretty much the best advice I've recieved

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all shading is is a way of defining lights vs darks. Seeing a step-by-step won't help because you miss out on the real work: the decision making process. The artist has to decide where the light is coming from. Once you have that CLEAR (because it's very easy to screw up a picture when you're not so sure where the light is coming from - believe me, I know) you can put in the cast shadows and use lighter shading to show form.

Don't worry about shading, worry about indicating the 3-dimensional form of the figure. That can be done with tonal shading, with hatching lines, with washes... you just need to know where the light is and which way the various planes of the figure are facing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get the light and shade book of Hogarth it doesnt explain how to but the diferent types of shading and lightning situations for comics..
    for how to light and shade i found this little gem..its tough,but there are many helpful advices on giving form to the basic geometric primitives...(eggs,cylinder,etc ,etc) Light and Shade ,A Classic approach to 3-dimentsional drawing by Mrs. Mary P. Merrifield.... (get it at amazon.com or doverpublications.com , how is your perspective? study perspective of shadows..the more you are aware of the position in space of the object the better you decide how to render it.. set a still life with one light source and copy what you see... copy and look at other artwork from other artists..to help you on learning approaches to rendering..also loomis books are good for a more illustrative approach..http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same as Glickster, organizing form in perspective is the first thing, then choosing the light source. I haven't found any books that really go into rendering, however I'll suggest looking at Scott Robertson's Rendering Matte Surfaces DVDs. That's more of a realistic look, but it's best to study in depth. The example you showed is a very basic kind of rendering, white in the light, black in the shadows, then some feathering to round out some forms(pressing hard at the beginning of the stroke then lightening the pressure torwards the end). Really it's not the rendering here that makes the image interesting but the design. The DC Guide to Inking Comics has tips about inking of course, and gives suggestions of dudes to swipe techniques from, Franklin Booth, James Montgomery Flagg, Rockwell Kent being some of them.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Members who have read this thread: 3