Sketchbook: Wheeljack's Sketchbook - Page 9

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys for all the feedback! Here we go with my IDW submission. Vote for me if you like the idea.
    2062 Game Console Synopsys’: Combination of Technologies
    Memory Storage: Crystals
    Power Source: Zero Point
    Interface: A combination of Magnetic Field and Laser technology.

In the future, the entertainment industry has expanded into virtually every niche of society. Producers such as Sony and Microsoft have merged with fashion brands such as Oakley to produce eyewear that interfaces directly with the users cerebral cortex. This process successfully interfaces with the user and stimulates all of the senses to create a truly immersive entertainment experience.

Points: - Games are no longer identified as games but instead as " Experiences".
    - Users purchase eyewear separately for each experience.
    - Novelty eyewear is marketed to suit certain eras, themes and popular IP's. IE: WW2 Fighter Goggles, Harry Potter Glasses, Dirty Harry Experience, 1930’s, etc.

Culturally Impact:
    -Fashion merges with entertainment . Users identify one another and express their individuality through what experiences they choose and wear. Individual Social interaction is now synonymous with the Entertainment industry.

Technology: - Laser connection is generated by points within the frame which create a Net that focuses the energy and then projects stimulus directly into the cortex through the retina.
    -Magnetic Field is established around the Users head by the eyewear. This field creates a state of suspension which isolates the user s brain and establishes a condition which facilitates the entertainment experience.
    -Recharge simply happens when the user places the eyewear upon a charge station/ mat.

Ebersol:Thanks Man! I went with a sketchy finish for the boards party because I wanted to do something different and I had been looking at some Ashely wood and also because it's faster and conveys more energy than my standard drawing technique. Thanks for the feedback on my site. I'm not quite done yet but almost. I'll keep posting if you keep reading!. Cheers!

blindshot: Thanks man, Metal Gear IS awesome and I intend to keep at it but MAN am I dissapointed with the MGS Rising game coming out. The concept looks awful and Raiden is SUCH a Terrible character....

GEB: Thanks man.

Clur: My Thanks go down to the Hat! If you like RE Howard and creepy fantasy adventure you'll love Solomon Kane. He is not as popular of a character as Conan but he is every bit as cool if not cooler. RE Howard conceived him first and I think worked out a lot of the kinks in his craft on Kane before he moved onto Conan. I'm always amazed by the fact the Howard wrote all of his story's without ever leaving his state let alone his tri county area. He was a very gifted writer. If you are going to get a Kane book. Buy one of the wander star versions that is illustrated by Garry Gianni. If that doesn't inspire you then nothing will.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here are a couple of comps for the EOW #181.

Thanks
    The Chow date has been extended by a week!! Hooray! Your most recent round of crits were really helpful, I will elaborate more in my own thread but thank you for helping to steer me in the right direction.

Your IDW really stands out among the competition, I would have voted for yours whether I'd known you or not. It really shows that you actually thought about the way your design would be used and how it would work, your excellent rendering skills didn't go astray either.

I like the direction you're going with the EOW comps. So far the second and third are the stronger images and have some great potential to be built on. I think you could safely go ahead and paint the second image as it is without making any dramatic changes. The values are spot on and there is a strong sense of depth. If you decide on the third image I think it could use another centaur in the absolute foreground with much darker values. Then maybe work at push the ridge on the right side back and slightly lighten the values on the tower as it goes up to indicate it's enormous height. Keep working on these ones man, there is so much potential in them!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to David Keen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great comps!
    I also prefer the second and thrid. I like the use of neutral colors on the last one. But I like how the second one has more definition between the middle ground and foreground.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Guys, stand by for more studies etc.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Here are a couple of sketchpages and another WIP of the EOW.

So far I've decided to go with the 3rd one. I tilted the horizon and I'm still fiddling with the ridge and tower. Slow and steady...

Thanks
    A couple more EOW wips...

Thanks
    Hey man, really enjoyed your blog and your sketchbook. Do you often combine painter and photoshop? The innkeeper wip .gif was very impressive!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another WIP of the EOW. This one is starting to feel over worked. Any thoughts....

Albino_Z: Thanks man. I appreciate that you took a look at my blog too! I dont always combine the two programs and it really just depends. I try not to be too rigid in my process and it sometimes pushes me out of my comfort zone to jump back and forth and consequently, keeps me fresh. Got any tips for me on Environments. I could use all the help I can get.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Still kick'n ass man!
    I love your pencils sketches !

Keep it up the good work

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wasabi89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is one more of the EOW. I think I'm done with this unless anybody has any suggestions. Enviro's are definetly a hole in my portfolio so I'd appreciate and feedback or suggestions to help me improve.

Thanks.

Wasabi89: Hey Thanks man!

Thanks
    Hey man, thanks for dropping by in my sb! Looking good!

I think you could use some more value control on the eow piece. Maybe try pushing the values a bit more. I made you a quick overpaint, I hope you don't mind. I haven't got access to my wacom at the moment so I just messed around a bit with levels and such.

I didn't touch the colours, just the values at the moment. I don't know if this is even the kind of feeling you would like to achieve, but I thought it could help if you could get the distances to read a little bit better.

"What does it mean to be an artist? It's constant, unrelenting, everlasting failure. That's what it is. You have to be really tough to take it." -Carl Larsson

Skethbook! | Deviantart! | Blog!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvenh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi matey

I like the centaur pic, and wouldnt change the values just yet as its an arrid desert image and bright sunlight would seem to be the thing to go with. However we shall see as you get closer to the end but to me it looks fine so far.

all the best mate

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is a WIP of the Minotaur. He Just won't go away... Oh and the mosai is just a placeholder, I'll work up something different fro the final illustration.

Kvenh: Thanks for dropping by and offering up a paint over. I agree with you that the values could use a little tinkering. I've been staring at this one for too long....

Lightship69: So far so good but I don't think I'll put much more into it. It's supposed to be an Environment but instead it is turning into an illustration. Thanks for stopping by.

Thanks
    Very nicely executed, but I have to ask, is that smudging I see in your latest piece? The light's rather nice, but it looks a bit weird to me.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Falchion. No, no smudging yet. There is a lot of Soft Round Camel hair brush (painter) and a little bit of blender here and there. I'm still ironing out the kinks in the lighting but I'm glad you like it so far.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Here is my final for that last EOW. I made a few changes and played with some settings. All in all it was fun to do. I have to practice Environments more and I look forward to participating in more EOW's soon.

Thanks all for your useful crits and feedback.

Thanks
    Nothing Earth Shattering to post today. I find that when I get into a drawing funk, it always helps to go back to the basics and it never fails to clear my mind and energize me. So with that we have some more anatomy and a warm up page plus, this weekend my wife and I took an hour and did some quick Plein Air Gouache studies out in the foothills.

Each one took about 15 minutes and the bottom one with the sig is my wife's. I was just trying to relax and paint the sky quickly and I am ashamed to admit that I have never attempted to do this before. I was inspired by a fellow CA member here but for the life of me I can't remember his name. He has a bunch of similar studies painted out of his window. I think I shall do more.

Thanks
    The EOW ended up looking very solid mate. One huge achievement is creating a sense of movement with the characters, the repeated shapes and dust flecks have worked very well. I think a little blurring, mainly around the legs of the centaurs might have helped to enhance the effect even more.

Your studies are looking good as always. The traditional pencil look that you've created for a few of the sketches looks really nice. I'm going to have to spend some more time mucking around with colours and getting back to some line drawings.

The plein air studies are looking good as well. You've done well to resolve the pieces in such a short amount of time. Adding the pinkish tone to the sky of a couple of them really breaks up the image and makes them feel more natural to me. I'm very jealous that you and your wife both share the artistic gene. My girlfriend is quite into design which is nice because I could definitely learn a lot in that area, but it would be fun to sit down together and draw.

Lets get cracking on this new CHoW, I'll be starting tomorrow and have something to share by the evening. All the best!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to David Keen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Spongebob

Hey Eb,

Thanks again! My wife and I actually met at ART school in a painting class and she is a better painter than me. She's all about traditional and mixed media painting but I never EVER lend her my brushes as she doesn't care to look after them. I still have brushes from when I was 17! Anyways, she is a high school art teacher by profession and spend most of her time doing fibre arts so it was nice to get her out and painting again.

The EOW was a good experience and I feel that I took it too far. I liked the way the colors and atmosphere was working in the earlier versions but I'll keep doing more and it was especially helpful to get crits and insight from the CA community.

I dont' know about this Ch0w either. The topics just don't get me all that inspired so I may concentrate on the IDW. Either way, I'll still chime in and help out on yours.

What I have to post today is a little outside the norm for me. A potential client asked me if I was able to draw "cartoony" and work on a specific IP. I actually studied Animation once upon a time but I don't have any recent cartoon work in my portfolio so I whipped up this piece as a Demo. I think it is not bad considering I didn't have much for model sheets etc. With a bit of practice and support materials I'm sure that I could draw "On -Model" no problem. They want an animation too but we'll see if time permits.

Thanks
    hey mate, nice sketchbook. The Rattle of Bones post is fantastic, massive work. I especially like the storyboard ,clean and strong lighting.
    sweet characters too

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Jager. I spent a lot of time on that project and I'm glad that it has been well received. Funny thing is I shared it with some folks at the Robert E Howard community forums and it took all of one post before I got ripped over painting his hair the wrong color! I guess it goes to show that it is damn hard to please everybody.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    oh man , i know what u say mate especially with literature. Guess every reader has his own mental image

Thanks
    Hey all,

Not too much to show, Just another WIP of the Minotaur. Imagine Heavy Breathing when you look at this.

Hey EB, I'm going to have to ditch on this weeks CH0w .I thought I'd have more time. Ahh C'est La Vie!

Jager: lol. I see you've done some book illustration. Have you heard the same thing from readers?

Thanks

The Minotaur Final

Well, I finally got around to wrapping up this guy. Loved it and I may just do some more takes on characters from greek myth. I studied this subject in university and have always had a passion for it. Who knows, maybe I'll do a series. Monsters of Greek Myth.

I think I will title this piece "Wrong Turn".

Thanks for stopping by.

Below we have a process animation and the final image.

Last edited by Wheeljack18; February 7th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Hey mate, sorry I fell off the grid for a bit there. You're SpongeBob page looks pretty snappy, there's a nice feeling of dynamic movement in the sketches that I really like. I'm interested to see what you do next if you pick up the client. The minotaur came a huge way from the initial idea! What you've ended up with looks great, although he was a little tubbier in some of the wip's and I liked that look for him. I would also think about darkening the top left corner above the mosaic, there isn't much up there and it would encourage the viewers eye to focus on the minotaur and the mosaic. Your final rendering looks on the minotaur looks great!

What are your thoughts on chow this week? It's the most interesting community challenge to me but I'm still not too sure..

Thanks
    Morning Eb. I'm not holding my breath on the Spongebob gig but I am cautiously optimistic too. Ahh the life of a freelancer....I'm glad that you liked the minotaur and I doubt that I would have even tackled the subject if you hadn't prompted me to do a creature so kudos to you! I liked teh Tubby look too but I went with a more "period" look with his high waistline in the costume. BTW, I screwed up majorly, can you spot where? I'm not going to make the addition to the top left as I don't want to make the image look too cluttered. Part of balancing a composition is knowing when to put things in and when to leave them alone. I like the negative space but I do appreciate the crit. I think the best crit I got from a buddy was" I don't like it". Not because the painting wasn't any good, it was because the character disturbed him too much. To me, getting an emotional reaction out of a viewer like that is big high.

RE: This weeks Ch0w. Man, I'm finding these topics to be not very interesting. If I was being paid for it then sure, no problem, I'll nail it but otherwise, I'd rather put the effort into something else. I sound like a quitter I know. heh heh. Besides, I'm sick as a dog right now with a cold so typing this is pretty much all I can manage. Why don't you finish our creature challenge? I'm still waiting on that dragon or if you are less inclined to do such an epic character, how about picking something else out of the D and D Monsters Manual? This way, its still a challenge but you get to have more input regarding the subject.

That's it from me,
    Cheers!

Thanks
    That minotaur looks ever scarier because it has a toon-ish face, nice work!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoops! So here we go with proof that staring at a piece too long is a BAD thing. I was reviewing the minotaur and I noticed that I made a huge error in his anatomy... Can you guess what it was? Ok, I'll tell you. I messed up his belly button. It should not have even been showing and I had placed it too high on his body. WTF!? Well, when something is wrong, it is wrong and here is the corrected version.

Cheers!

Monstertree: Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Thanks
    Another Page out of the ol digital sketchbook. This time with a color study and can you guess the animated character in the bottom left?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7