C.O.W. - #056: Scary But Harmless - Voting!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry regarding the topic!

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supervlieg

23 18.11%
  • Cloister

0 0%
  • dragon4lunch

16 12.60%
  • GreenTopaz

73 57.48%
  • MIKECORRIERO

1 0.79%
  • br0kk

1 0.79%
  • J.Pan

0 0%
  • BlkCelebration

4 3.15%
  • JakkaS

7 5.51%
  • corspufo

2 1.57%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #056: Scary But Harmless - Voting!

ROUND #056 VOTING

Topic: Scary But Harmless

Deadline for the voting: Sunday, 20th August 2006

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74188

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: Supervlieg
    concept:
    The Lemmy
    (Lemur Madidus Visio)
    The Lemmy is found in the Highlands of ireland. The most remarkable feature of the Lemmy is its manner of self defense. When it is chased by a predator, it will wait for a unexpected moment in the chase, bend over and stick it's hind legs in the air revealing a face-like feature on its underbelly. This menacing "face" on its belly is complemented by its huge tail giving it a look not unsimilar to a somewhat drunken rockstar. On its underbelly the Lemmy evolved two light area's with dark spots on its skin, resembling two wide open eyes.
    While in this pose, the Lemmy furiously waves its hind legs and its fake head. This threathening pose, called the "Lemmy face", is most effective in scaring off all chasing predators. For more curious predators the Lemmy has a second detterent. In a final act of indignity the Lemmy slightly lifts its tail and sprays the predator with it's feacies.
    The Lemmy is a very curious creature. When one is chased, nearby Lemmies are often seen watching the chase from afar. They seem most amused when the predator is scared by the Lemmy face and moreso when the predator is chased of by a hail of little nuggets of shit. But it must be know, that although the Lemmy may seem scary, it is harmless. It has no real defenses, and once the predators catch on, it will surely mean the end of this akward creature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: Cloister
    concept:
    The Planetary Orbiter

artist: dragon4lunch
    concept:

He didn't know what he would find on the top of the mountain. The oracle had said to seek "The Tantalum". Was it a wise mountain spirit? After two days of exhausting climbing, with an entire day walking over icey rocks, Frederick could finally see the top through the blinding snow flakes: His heart stopped! Those weren't pointy snow-covered rocks, but a tremendous lizard-like creature!!! Was it his destiny to die today? Why did the oracle tell him to come here...
    ...carefully Frederick walked towards the creature, trusting it was a benevolent being.
    Well, the Tantalum is a mythical creature, which doesn't move from the mountain top - it is huge, wise and peaceful - and even if it wanted to hurt you - it probably couldn't because it is too heavy.
    And by the way, Frederick and the Tantalum actually ended up having a pleasant conversation, pointing our hero into the right direction and all that good stuff that usually happens when a hero meets a wise character.

artist: GreenTopaz
    concept:

Mrs.Williams 1st grade class
    pet assignment
    Alice Greenburg
    My Dog Spike:
    My dog Spike is a big dog I found in the woods behind our house last year. He was very scary at first but we became friends. She likes to play fetch and loves flowers. I have to keep her secret because my mommy and daddy says that dogs are too expensive and even though Spike only eats the trees in the woods they still said no. I don't think she would fit in our house anyway. She is very tall and wierd for a dog but me and Spike are best friends and we have lots of fun together.

artist: MIKECORRIERO
    concept:
    Proboscis Carcassis
    This large odd creature species are nocturnal, they live in the darkness which adds to the frightening appearance of one when caught off gaurd..but what's more frightening is if one happens to find its way in your house late one night while your out for dinner. It's ok though because this species do not attack, they do not contain claws or a jaw, nor do they contain any teeth or other means for inflicting damage. They tend to keep to themselves and are a rather doscile species despite their horrific appearance.
    The Proboscis Carc- are scavengers that much like a butterfly use a long thin tube like a straw to extract nutrients, this is called a Proboscis hense the name of the creature. The difference is that this creature uses this tube to suck blood from the carcasses of animals or humans. The bloody mangled look is due to the strange functionality of the species rolling around in a filthy smelling corpse, they use the Van der Waalls on their toes to basically create a magnetic force of tiny hair follicles gripping the walls, except this species walks and climbs walls upside down with their face turned backward. In a world in which this creature lives, it will cowardly run from any other species whether it be a rabbit or a human, they are quick and skittish yet frighten most of their adversaries through shear shock. To the animal world they are known as "The Living Dead" a cursed species and they are to be steered clear of since it's believed they bring a great dark plague within their blood stream, though this is only hear say and is not fact.
    They resemble exactly what they eat..rotting flesh, blood and mangled anatomy, road kill and deceased bodies..the oddity of their limb structure and bone structure helps to disguise this creature among the carcass on which it feeds fooling most larger predators who would rather a fresh kill.

artist: brokk
    concept:
    Chimney-Shelled Vermilingua
    A relative to ant eaters and termite eaters, these creatures can combine certain glandular secretions into a chemical mix similar to hydroquinone, which this takes the form of steamy smoke. They use this smoke to fumigate insect hills or hollow trees to force the insects out for easier feeding.
    However, this has also another use, as a defense mechanism against predators. They can shape "smoke clouds" into certain forms to scare off potential predators. Their biggest threat, as with many species, are humans. It is unknown at this moment how they produce these images, though scientists suggest the possibility of a series of specialized muscles, as well as a keen learning through insight and memory.

artist: J.Pan
    concept:

artist: BlkCelebration
    concept:
    Tlapewe
    The Tlapewe is a plant-like creature that towards the end of its lifespan searches for the right spot of land to rest..(for a long time). The Tlapewe, after finding this spot, is unable to wake up from its slumber. There it will lay until its last day. However, this is not the most unfortunate aspect of this condition. It is said that its branches and roots take the form of its nightmares. Not the most inviting of sights to behold, the Tlapewe in slumber is often used by other creatures as habitat.

artist: JakkaS
    concept:
    Gleamer
    Guardian Of The Marsh
    These organisms lives on the marshes or other wet terrain which are plentiful of insects. They usually spend whole day closed, to protect their gentle body parts from the sun. They looks at that time like some kind of fungus that overgrow trees and rocks. When the dark falls, they open and start to glow. Bioluminescent light is luring the insects. When Gleamer catches the prey, he closes himself to etch the insect. After a while, he opens and wait for another prey.
    "- Buuut I really saw th..he..eeemm, Mom! They where there with their bbb…iiig eyes…….They were watch...tching me! I was terrrr..rrrrified!....They wanted to eat me……they have wag with their arms and they have howl…..I was running as fast as I could…..but, THEY will not come here.. RIGHT…. Mom?
    - Of course not, my dear…..go to your bed…and next time don't go alone on the marsh after the dusk…..Goodnight!"

artist: corspufo
    concept:
    Gorlock
    The Gorlock are a race of creatures that live in the harmony of innocence. There are few that can see through their abominable appearances, and appreciate their gentle souls. When most adults looks upon the Gorlock, they see the twisted flesh, pulsing lumps and ghastly appendages. Most look and are horrified. Children, however, just see another friend to play with. The Gorlock are plainly aware of their appearances, and choose to live in well hidden underground warrens. They usually only venture outside in the evening, though they are known to call upon children if the child is lonely and are in the need of company. When the child is asked who they were playing with, most parents dismiss their response with "an imaginary friend." Unfortunately as children grow up, they find it harder and harder to look at the Gorlock without fear.
    To most, it would seem the Gorlock's lives are a perpetual rollercoast of love and heartache. But let me assure you they are quite content simply existing as a Scary but Harmless creature.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

3. No voting for your own entry!!! If a participants votes for his own entry, every member has the right to call him a stupid lame morone in this thread! And i will delete his/her vote anyway...

not accepted entries:

All WIPs

None

close to rejection:

none

special note:

None

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, sorry I didnt finish mine. I had a 29 piece order done in three weeks due yesterday. I even had a little time at the end of the day to work on mine, but Photoshop kept shutting down in the middle of me working. I think it had had enough for one day.

I voted for Jakkas. There were perhaps better designs, but his entry touched the special place from my childhood memories. (And I havent thought about that whole thing with the peacock feathers in 25 years...so that was pretty amazing to have that old memory rattled out of my frontal lobe.)

Very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to go with Green Topaz, your piece made me feel really good inside

Really good turnout, and I was a few hours short... but had some fun anyway http://www.steveroyer.com/sketching/cow_56.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    though there were some fine pieces here,
    (Jakkas, BlkCelebration,Dragon4lunch to name a few...)

it`s GreenTopaz all the way.
    the approach, the grace and the well executed artwork are dead-on.
    so young, so flippin` talented.
    makes you wanna punch someone in the face, doesn`t it...?

j/k.

good round all.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for GreenTopaz. It was really hard to chose, because of the many excellent entries all around. In the end the picture tells a great story and the little heart and description finish it off really well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, dragon4lunch hands down!!!

Hihihihihihi... just trying to get me some votes here! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Supervlieg. His entry is the only one being scary and harmless simultaniosly. And you don't have to read the text to get it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries this round, it was hard for me to choose. Supervlieg's idea takes the cake in the end, found that pretty freakin' hilarious. Though i wish i could have given GreenTopaz a vote too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was a close call between GreenTopaz, Supervlieg, and dragon4lunch. But in the end you can choose one only, so my vote goes to GreenTopaz! Great entries everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went with Dragon4lunch. This is the best CoW youve ever produced, seems very complete and fits the bill of something that seems intimidating but is actually benign. Plus the expression on the lizard things face seems very wise and ties in with the backstory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My girlfriend and I were both sitting here by the computer as I was about to vote and she wanted to participate so I let her vote together with me, discussing it back and forth and finally agreeing on one. It was in the end a matter of voting for dragon4lunch or GreenTopaz (both are total kickass paintings!) so we made a hard call and went with GreenTopaz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    close between dragon4lunch and green topaz
    i voted for topaz, d4l's wasnt as scary-looking...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Kudos to dragon4lunch!! Pretty awesome creature...by far the best. I like the mood you've created here. The story goes well with the painting. GreenTopaz is a little too cartoony.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went for dragon4lunch, a very nice cold piece and a beautiful creature.

Supervlieg gets the "brilliant concept of the week" reward from me, needed to start laughing hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feedback

Cloister:Nice concept but the presentation is a bit distracting. From the picture it isnt immediatly clear what the creature is. The Scene with the humans in it was perhaps a bit better if it was in b/w. The picture with the core is well done, I actually thought that this was the creature, and I didnt see the connection with the little pictures from the get go.

Dragon4Lunch: Nice piece, with a great majestic beast. The only thing that kept it from getting my vote was the animal was a bit too wise looking to be scary.

MIKECORRIERO: Great piece, with some nice techniques and color pallete. Its wasnt clear from the picture why the creature was harmless without reading the description.

Brokk: Nice creature, maybe some insets explaining the habits and manners of the beast would have been nice to liven things up a bit. Also a little more variations in the orange and blue would have spiced things up.

J.Pan: Nice idea and concept. The head is well rendered and has a scary look. The rest of the body lacks a bit compared to the head and tentacles. Especially the scales on the belly seem to be a bit out of perspective.

BlkCelebration: Great concept and execution. Only minor crit was that the colors could have used a little more intensity here and there to make it jump out of the screen a bit more.

Jakkas: Great concept as always. I like the mood you set in the picture. The only thing that keeps it from getting votes is that the creature doesnt have any relatable features. But great design nevertheless.

Corspufo: Nice cartoony piece. The creature and the clouds behind it are very nice. The girl feels a bit left behind, her skintones are a bit flat. Also the creature could have used a bit more shadow to make it less flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v - Green Topaz

It's over by knockout.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i laughed, i cried, i voted for superV.
    love the humor and execution.
    second runner up - no doubt it'd be miss green t.
    cheers and great work all!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    green topaz knocked me clear onto my bum. great creature, great story, etc. jakkas and blkcelebration as close first runner ups.

awesome work everyone!
    gugg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mine went to Dragon4Lunch, didnt have the best concept, but the artwork is astounding!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmm i was thinking about voting myself cause i thought it's kinda embarassing having no vote...yet i still couldn't resist voting for GT, lol, coz thats what my heart's telling me. You captured the idea perfectly and well executed too! Truly amazing for being only 17yo!

Cloister: ur imagination is superb, I'd say that orbitor is something i will probaly never be able to create, due to the limitation of my imagination.~~ But i just found it less relateed to the topic here~~ still good work!

dragon4lunch: love ur scene as a whole, yet i cant shake off the feelings that it needs more work on it, im sure it will attract more attentions if it's complete with more details.

MIKECORRIERO: i still find ur one as the most scary thing this week, donno y, i even can picture in my head of how it moves...creepy~~~~

brokk: doesnt ur turtle ever get high ?? smoking all day? lol

BlkCelebration: coooooool design , i see y its harmless, and nice colors!

JakkaS: cool concept , love how u rendered the surface of that thing

corspufo: great rendering of the sky and clouds~

----------------

thanks Supervlieg for ur comments on mine! ill try to do better in the next one.

and ....errr...ppl.... could some of you be generous enough to give me some feedbacks? I see my entry is less interesed by ppl, is it because the way I renderied it wasnt good enough? or is it because my concept didnt capture the idea? (well despite the fact that other;s ppl's works are too good of course, lol) thnx!

-+ CREATIVE IG +-
    There is no spoon. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to GreenTopaz, surprise surprise. His image and description captured a feeling of childlike innocence that was just irresistable. The sweet smile on the "dog's" face gives me the idea of a creature of simple but pure emotions, not unlike an actual dog. The colors and reflections are what really set this image apart as a winner, though. Simply wonderful.
    I don't think I have it in me to go through and critique the rest of the images right now. I'll do it soon, though. See you guys over in the Bermuda Triangle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words

I voted for JakkaS, I really liked the concept...if I saw that thing from far away it would look like a huge creature with many eyes. It uses deception to cause fear.

Supervlieg: very disturbing image...ha I like the color use and rendering style.

Cloister: the creature itself is very odd-looking, but I like the solid rendering. I would get kreeped out if i saw that thing.

dragon4lunch: loved the inclusion of the background, it definitely makes a stronger piece.

GreenTopaz: What can I say that hasnt been said before? Great concept, great coloring, and design. The heart is a nice touch as well.

MIKECORRIERO: Even an unfinished piece looks finished (if that makes any sense) Love the style.

brokk: nice concept, the smoke cloud takes some of the attention away from the creature, but I suppose thats what was intended.

J.Pan: very interesting concept, I suppose a bit inhumane, but very practical.

corspufo: ha, nice touch by adding the little girl. The creature itself is nicely done, perhaps a few more shadows here and there to give it more volume.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BlkCelebration: ar...yes, maybe I shouldntve put it into that scene, i found lots ppl r mislead by the context (if the decription's not read)...

Supervlieg: finally i saw ur entry, it couldnt load, i donno y.
    LMAO, if i saw that earlier, i might ended up the same as redehlert~~~~

-+ CREATIVE IG +-
    There is no spoon. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GT all teh way....it's the heart....it wouldn't be nearly as good if the heart wouoldn't be there. Excellent color combinations, the way the background fades away gives depth as does the fading limb. The story also got me...

Second place for me was Supervleig.....that was funny as all freaking hell and I spit iced tea all over my screen when i saw it...XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As usual, everyone's done top notch work.
    But , unfortunately can only vote for one.
    Green Topaz gets my vote.
    What a wonderful image. There was a sense of a deep connection between the two characters that just caught my attention and kept it there. The story in an image has always been a magnet for me and the composition, not to mention the superb rendering and handling of the media, beckoned me to stay and learn the history of these 2.

Will be watching out for more work from Miss "Topaz" for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    greentopaz - it woulda been even cuter if you took the periods out of the description and made it one long run on sentence

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish I could vote for both Greentopaz and Jakkas - great creatures. However, the explanation swayed me to Jakkas. I can imagine people walking past just as they start to open and completely freaking out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and comments, Supervlieg, J.Pan, and BlkCelebration, and thank you for taking the time to give crits and comments to everyone's entries. Congrats to Green Topaz, I echo Mike's thoughts, a great win

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.