Art: Before the kill

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Before the kill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Before the kill

Hi all.
    Started this one this morning and wanted to finish it before going to bed. C&C always welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fellah.; August 14th, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there Fellah,

I like the mood of this image and the textures (that rock up front is lovely)
    Though the outlines of the sword of the guy(-thing) up front could be a bit straighter, dunno if it was intentional ofcourse Maybe the sword is just used a bit much.

I think my main crit is that you should come out of that comfort zone of monsters and rock environments, we all know you're good at this! Now show us you're good at everything else too (well, not ťverything else, but you know a bit more).

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very, very interesting. I wanted to say something about composition being all unconventional and way too .... well, how to say it,... an opposite to smooth.. but then I started to think I should be glad instead. Making my horizon wider too to see unusual ideas. So I think strange compositions is good. Could be stranger after all, you could make an effect all those rocks falling forward on viewers. So until this happened lets be grateful .

Well, you know I hope that this piece has mood, feeling of midnight. It doesn't feel like silent to me, because of the many barriers you put for the one of the guy, he will not be able to move without any noise.

Again like in the last painting in FF section you are confusing me where are my eyes should go first, you put highly sharpened highlights on BG (moon) and Foreground (the knife and face of the guy with weird hairdo). And you somehow skipped showing them in not so far from him objects (bark of the tree).

Silhouette of the guy standing against the moon should be darker, he is standing against pretty strong source of light and the other source of light is far from him and probably much, much weaker, torch or something.

I like the tension in the figure of the guy on the tree, good body language.

I like him totally and I understand that he will lose a lot if you make him all dark, the cautious pose for one and maybe volume. Still think it would be better if he was darker. Helps to feel the night, you know.
    Like the face of the front guy and how you play with lighting, although I have feeling you are manipulating us, this lighting is very strange in how it falls.
    I would appreciate the texture on the tree, at least something there.

Overall it is interesting image but feels like an experiment.
    Thank you for the comment in my book, could write even shorter than that?
    Like one word, half of the word, a letter, exclamation pont. Jeez! Someone is being quite lazy to say real crits..

Last edited by sve; August 13th, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot, Noe and sve. Made a fast repaint based on some of the crits. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still think, it is too many highlights and hints where to look. My eyes are all over the image and they don't stop, but going in very strange trajectory.

I need to go where you point me to go with my eyes, and that's to an outline of tree, very bright highlights, compete with everything, to the moon, very bright front guy, maybe he is the main focus, I don't know anymore.

I shouldn't not forget to shift my eyes to the knife and to the lighting from the cave, I need to have time to be everywhere. There is no hierarchy in where to look first, they all complete with each other.

You put so many highlights on the farther figure, don't be so greedy, figure is great, but it will be enough to do just outline of the figure from the moon. The figure itself would be better if darker and almost no details seen on it.

I think it will even add to scary factor, not seeing clearly who he is. His knife is too shiny, just thin outlines will be better.
    You are being too greedy for effects in this painting, I think, calm down, keep it under control. Less is more.
    Highlights of the front guy is very, very bright, it destroys the night feeling. Everything is too loud, should be calmer and quieter, IMHO.

Last edited by sve; August 13th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like it, the moonlight on that guy in the background is gorgeus!

Life is a promise
    nobody keeps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Simon.
    I think the guy with the knife could be in [a little more] darker values, will made the highlights more efficients in my [humble] opinion. Aside that, it's a good picture, carrying mood and STORY ! I like when a single picture can contain a little story. Can't wait to see what you will be able to do with sequential stuff.
    Always a pleasure to see your art, mon ami Simon.
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some nerves! less is more in case of our communication!! I got zero of it. What is less than this? You know I love your art, Simon. and you, but I can only look too. And I don't think it will be fine for you. . I write the longest comments .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Simon, really nice one. You're doing some really nice stuff these days.
    Love this one, good job on the highlights, they are really well done especially on the assasin. But composition wise I don't think it does so well. Someone wrote something about the composition, and it really made me think. Did you plan the composition? What bothers me and keeps me distracted is the hole beneath the assasin and the horn on the guard. The horn points me out of the picture to the left and the hole keeps my view away from the assasin (this could be the idea though, what do I know). Other than that I think you're doing a fabulos work Had to give you my thoughts on something

Hugs my friend. It's been to long since I wrote to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Simon,
    Nice mood in this one, well every pic you do has a nice mood. For a crit Something is happening with the knife I think maybe i would like to see him holding it, but maybe not. The knife I think can be in a perspective that is more flat, and maybe longer, because the tip is so close to the tip of the mountain it is createing a uncomfortable focal point, so maybe makeing it longer and overlapping the volcanoe might solve that, but you know it is just a silly crit, and that might not even work, whatever lets just say it's an idea, haha poo!
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great mood and colors. great painting.
    love the face of the guy in the first plane.
    no crits from me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hi Simon,

With this one, you've reached a new level : it is much more defined than your previous paintings, and that's a good point to me.
    Strong contrast, clearly shaped characters, nice color scheme ... good. It is much more smashing than usual.

Be careful : too much highlights on the background, as said Sve.

Pierre.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only crit I can offer that someone hasn't already said has to do with the silhouette of the assassin guy. I think it would be stronger if his left arm was out away from his body. He'd look more ready for action that way.
    Anywho, it's a great intriguing picture. I'd love to see an update on it based on the critiques you've recieved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your best yet simon.. excellent...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NoŽ - thanks for the crits! Ima affraid i messed up the sword even more though. Also tahnks for kicking my butt about the comfort zone - when i start a painting without thought it always turn into the monster type of thing i guess. I will try to fight it hard. Cheers, Marleen!

sve - you write the longest comments(and best) and i love you for it! You know this! And you know i can be a bit shortminded sometimes (my wife complains about the same thing - guess its my nature, hehe). Awesome crits from you on this - thanks alot! Cant fix them all though. Maybe try again sometime. Cant i just be greedy once in a while? Its fun! Thanks again!

Kaya- glad you like it, man!

Alday.J - you bro, good crit! I made him a tad darker, but i prefer him not all dark. Hope to get the sequential stuff going soon. Cheers!

Pencilator - hi Penci! Nice to see you! Damned good crits! I admit i didnt really give the composition much thought - it started as a doodle of the assasin and just grew from there. Tried fixing some of it. Cheers and thanks!

poise - thanks alot, good crit on the knife. Tried fixing it, but messed it up even more hehe. Maybe i should have left it out. Its a very messy corner with the sword and the vulcano and whatnot. Bad use of space i guess.

Diego - thanks alot, dude! No crit - phew, hehe.

Arctis - hi, man - glad you think so! A few months ago a painting like this would have taken me days, now i can do it in one (almost), so that feels good. But the crits of course makes me understand rushing stuff isnt not a good thing. Yes, good crit from sve - i was too greedy, heh. Hope things are good for you!

Moai - I might have to do a new version based on all the crits. Maybe soon. Good point with the arm - would give him a more dynamic feel!

Made a few small changes based on the crits, but there are too many so i cant fix it all on this one. Thanks, dudes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course, Simon, I never have any thoughts of you or anyone else using something I said. I'm just saying my feeling, dear. I'm greedy too.
    I'm gonna scare you! With monster. Hopefully before Christmas! And then we will have Flower festival!!! Forever. Every month new flower from you in FF section!!!!!

P.S. Actually I kind of think you just tolerate me .

How about this photo of Inuk? ( reminding in very shy and polite manner)

Last edited by sve; August 14th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, Forgive me for one more little observation. The enter to brightly lightened cave near the main character ( yeah, he is main now, you showed priorities), damn, looked again, maybe not, maybe the other one is main, well, it needs to be sharper and textured very clearly, because the character next it has very definite, sharp details.

I think the very bright outline on his back and horn was needed and you need to repeat in on the cave wall, I'm sorry I confused you with this one. But now it doesn't look truthfull with this evenly lighted shoulders. He is very close to the light in cave. It is not daytime lighting, it is sharp.
    Sorry for making you chanage this. hard to explain in words what you think you know.

Last edited by sve; August 14th, 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the light that you used, but it lacks some detail on the character, work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, nice! Could you post this image any smaller... say the size of a matchbook maybe or an iPod screen? : p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice, I like the way you've done the moon its all sparkly.

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Members who have read this thread: 1