Thanks

If someone had told me.. (Your help, please?)

When I was younger, if someone had told me thier opinions as they were from an older person, I might be alot different...

I just came home from the bar for a birthday, so excuse any typos...

My school called me up today. Apparently a couple students heard that I was doing some extremely part time illustration around the city, so my school called and asked if myself and another student could give a presentation as post graduates. They wanted someone who's going more towards the corporate field, someone in the small business field, and someone in the creative field. For the creative thwy obviously chose me.

At first I was trying so hard to think of useful advice to give, and got nowhere. Suddenly, though I had a realization of alot of things I could say. All the misconceptions I had as an art student.. for example:

- I thought that artists were all either colorers, pencilers, or inkers, NOBODY ever did more than one, because it was too much to learn.

- I thought even small game companies had a plethora of character artists, eviroments artists, creature artist... etc., and did'nt realize that you had to learn everything.

- I thought an artist could be working on one small project at a time and make enough money to have a mansion and eat at the fanciest restaraunts every night.

- I thought professional artists were the most cut throat, selfish people in the world. And I thought that artists would never tell eachother thier tips and tricks.

- I thought that apprentinceship or mentorship only happened back in the 17th century. And that the only way to learn was from art school.

- I thoguht that traditional painters had no place in the illustration industry anymore. And I thought that concept artists and fine artists were worlds apart.

- I thought that anime artists were the only artists who got jobs anymore.

- I thought coloring was as easy as taking a slightly darker shade of a color and applying it to the darkest parts of the body.

- I thought that measurements and proportions were useless to ,concept artists.

- I thought I was the best young artist in north america. And that getting a job in the art industry would be a piece of cake.

I'm only 3 years past high school. And at first I was reluctant to say yes to the lecture because of my lack of inudstry experience. But now I think I'm the exact right person to give the speach. As an artist who's now struggling with the reality of the industry, and I know alot of the misconceptions alot of people have. I know what to tell people.

When I came to conceptart.org, the first picture I saw was a picture by Mandryk. I thought it was the best piece of art I've ever seen in my life. I thought that it must have taken a team and 3 or 4 people a few weeks to produce. When I foudn out it was made by one guy in a few hours my world was shattered.

If not for conceptart.org I'd still be scribbling dragonball sketches on lined paper.

Now I'm a student of the best teacher someone could ask for, all for free.

When I was younger, if someone had told me thier opinions as they were from an older person, I might be alot different...
    Last edited by Interceptor; August 12th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Dude, great stuff. Seems like you really were a good person to give the lecture. A good little read bro.

Thanks
    Now I'm a student of the best teacher someone could ask for, all for free.
    Quoted for emphasis.

FREE. FREE. FREE. That word can't be said enough. Wanting to learn more about art, technique, theory, and more about the industry, I'd thought about applying to art schools, ateliers, the new MB school, etc... but it seems everytime I venture into these forums, I realize I don't need those, as all the teaching I need is right here, for free. It doesn't get any better and cheaper than this.

Interceptor, spread the CA love.

Thanks
    great list Interceptor!

These rules remain constant to everyone, and even to the Marko's and Android's too.

Thanks
    Right on Loren, right on. I often times find myself trying to explain what you clearly said to others that have no clue; especially about how one doesn't need "art school" and pay thousands of dollars for mediocre education. Cheers, man.

Thanks
    Nice points, and yeah I wouldn't be where I am without good old conceptart.org

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies

I was wondering if anyone else had any other things they think should be mentioned. I have to give them a rough outline of what I'll be talking about before I make the presentation. I think my pal and I have about a combined 2 hours to say what we need to say.

Thanks!!
    - Loren
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Man, I wish I could sit in on this. Of course, I'd be the annoying one clapping and screaming, "Sing it to the mountaintops, brother!"

Thanks
    "- I thought an artist could be working on one small project at a time and make enough money to have a mansion and eat at the fanciest restaraunts every night."
    Maybe you should also tell them that they won't need one or 2 extra jobs in order to survive? You won't get ritch, but you won't be literally starving either.
    Unless you really do though, but I seriously doubt that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    Wat you need to say is one thing.
    'Fuck art courses, join CA, elvis has left the building.'

Thanks
    stress the importance of foundations - anatomy, tones, values.
    stress the importance of loving to draw.
    stress the importance of developing the urge to want to draw every waking moment.
    stress the importance of always answering that urge.

and finally, how important it is to not have an ego.
    just tell them to read the worst of CA.

Thanks
    Congrats, interceptor! This sounds like such an amazing opportunity to share your wealth of knowledge! I can think of nothing more for you to lecture on, but I wish you all the luck.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks

Lol, I would have told him to fuck off. People are stupid, selfish, & whatnot as youger, and with the mistakes you learn to change and mold your way of thinking, & therefore your passions and future objectives. I'm grateful of all the mistakes I made in the past, because they all prooved to be a valuable lesson, and made me what I am now. & I'm proud... The future waits for me!

Now another rant. CA.org is very inspiring, more than it is useful (at least for me, in the technical learning aspect). That point alone should be more than enough to recommend it to anyone though. Now for good useful stuff, go to your local library! Nothing beats some good old traditional researching!
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    This is great Loren. you really seemed to learn alot. I am really proud of you ,
    A bit of advice:
    From someone who has gone to art school for 4 years, and studies a few years of art at a community college, I have learned tons at these places. I have also gained a lot from CA, like being more creative, and meeting people in the industry. So My advice is to not blow off art school all together. There are things there that I learned hands on everyday for four years, Practiced drawing from live models constantly, and learned tricks that I would never learn anywhere else. There is so much you can get in one place so the best advice I can give any artist is to immerse themselves in art, and life around you, soaking up as much info as you can. If you can afford a good art school; where you fall inlove with the students work, GO! you will learn from the masters, people who are much older then you, have been in the industry and know what they are talking about. CA is relatively young to the world of art, it is a great source to learn from but it is by no means the only.
    -T
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    My advice is to not blow off art school all together.
    2nd. Also (but sort of related), You need to make it clear that being an artist, like being a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, is a serious career choice and as such, requires years of serious study. Like any of the above mentioned jobs, 4 years of study (with or without school) is not likely to be sufficent to make the big time, and that's assuming that you bust your ass to the head of the class. If they ship off to art school, they have to eat, sleep, and breath it, not just sign in and chill. This being the case, school can be very valuable for a number of reasons (directed study, peer inspiration, access to life models, access to working pros, networking, etc.) but ONLY if it is taken seriously, because the actual degree is worth exactly dick.

A career in freelance doesn't happen in a day or a year, it builds slowly over time and it's Rocky style montage training all the way (in my head anyhow )
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    it's Rocky style montage training all the way (in my head anyhow )
    love it!

Thanks
    Nice one Leon. Pionts all us pregrads should take on. I've been away from this site for a month or so, I forgot how useful and inspiring it is. Go CA.

Thanks
    Really interesting read, altho in my country this "industry" is at stone-age level, compared to america's, for example, so i can't really say what young people do believe(wrong or not). <=Hope this makes any sense...

And I thought that concept artists and fine artists were worlds apart.
    Hmm, aren't they?