Art: The Paint-over thread!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Paint-over thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Paint-over thread!

Hey ConceptArt!
    I remember seeing one of these over at CGTalk, and figured... why not one here? Though over there only 1 person (who is really good at it) is relied on to paintover them. I figure over here, someone posts a piece they want a paintover on- and whoever feels like answering the call (I'll try as often as possible) can paint-over, and post it. I figure I'll get some flak for "This is what the critique center is for", but I know that I speak for myself when I say I learn better with paint-overs than with written critique, as I'm sure many of us do (and don't.) But this isn't only to give critique- It's also about learning (Thus where I placed the thread). I learn alot from doing paintovers, and I learn alot from having paint-overs done- it's sort of a symbiotic relationship, and I think having a seperate thread just for painting over finished or very closed to finished pieces would be great.

Sorry if this is a stupid idea, but IMO it will help tons of us... so if anyone wants to kick it off, feel free!

(NO UNCOLORED/RENDERED SKETCHES PLEASE.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *thumbs up* yeah i saw that thread and it looked like it helped alot. for most starting out getting the mood right can be hard and the paint overs helped alot for that. and if any one thinks this is a stupid idea ill kick there ass for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be the guinea pig. I'm totally new here but this thread looks promising so I'll make this my first post :D

I did this for a DSG topic but I'm still struggling with color so I was a little embarassed to post it there. Might as well get some critiques on it if I'm gonna let other people see it, hopefully I can attach this properly and it isn't too rough for the purposes of the thread.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, basic things to remember;
    Cast shadows can really help define form, They are useful- so make sure you define your lightsources clearly so you always know where your highlights/shadows will be.

Also; Form follows function. Live by this; Before you make it look good, make it work good. Don't make it pretty before you make it functional.

I didn't want to change colors/design too much, so I pretty much kinda cleaned it up and added shadows/lights to increase the 'feel' of it, as a design.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I changed a couple of things to add to the clarity of the piece, a couple of lighting things, and changed the glass, using a big heavy outline for glass is a big no no. i think it seemed a bit out of balance with the feet too so i changed the way they were posed. i also added a nozzle thing in a place that i felt looked kinda empty.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After stumbling on this thread I thought maybe I could be humbled a bit and learn. I had this posted in the crit center awhile ago and never received any critiques. Its only my second attempt at painting in PS and I know its far from perfect. I think this image meets your criteria for the paintover if not let me know. Thanks!

Ideas are easy. Making them real is hard.
    Sketchbook
    SketchUpBook
    Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo! Good idea, or good theft of ideas pixel. The thread you are talking about is called, uhm - paintovers please, hosted by stephen stalberg. Very cool thread over there, neat to see what he does and some of the reasons why.

ChirpChirp: I dunno what to do there

Jtho:

Not sure this is actually an improvement, I just sort of took it as my own thing in process and did whatever I felt like . I would say just as a basic rule to start you out you should try to have one color dominate all others, a sort of general ambient sort of thing - now it doesn't mean everything has to be all red or anything, just that if your enviroment is "red" that colors that are quite dissimilar to red shouldn't be very strong or saturated. I also added a shadow because it's really helpful to ground things, adds a lot to believablility. If you'll notice now, your legs don't make too much sense in relation to the ground, so you might plan things like that right off the bat you know?

Ummumumum, some cheap tricks and edits... quick texturing to add interest... sharpening because I like things sharp .

Oh also, black outlines are ugly mothers - if you are going to work with a sort of line drawing set to multiply method you might like taking a cue from traditional media and having a warm colored underdrawing (paint with or colorize your lines to be a nice general brown )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chirp, that can't really be painted over. There is nothing to really add on because of the way the picture is set up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.