Thanks

some WIP, crits welcome

Here's my first contribution to CA.

From what I've seen here there are a lot of pros that have some amazing syles. Since I began lurking I have had my eye on a few artists and they constantly amaze me with each post. There's a weath of information here that can not be overlooked.

My media is not digital, so please excuse the quality of the pictures for now as they are either scans or photos.
    Alright, let's get cracking:

-WIP-
    some WIP, crits welcome

some WIP, crits welcome

some WIP, crits welcome

some WIP, crits welcome

-Finished!-
    some WIP, crits welcome

some WIP, crits welcome

some WIP, crits welcome

Your review is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited by mikeasaurus; August 21st, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    #4 is my favorite. It just works (for me) even though things like anatomy are still a little wonky. But in that piece.. it works.

Your art reminds me of illustrations in a children's book. Which is not a bad thing.

What sort of critiques are you looking for? What are you wanting to improve on?

Thanks
    Blahism- Thanks for your feedback, I am looking for critiques just like yours. From what they make you feel to areas that ned improvement. I have been working with anatomy in the last while and am trying to push myself in every area to do with proportions. It's the easiest area to fuck up, but the most rewarding when it's done right.

Thanks
    Something about the way you draw seems kind of...distant. I don't really know how else to explain that. I love your coloring jobs though. Very well done! You anatomy seems to be lacking life in a way but overall its fine.

Thanks
    you have a very distinct linework quality. Its refreshing to see. Your wips especially seem promising. With an established contour, try planning out colors by compliments and temperature (warm/cool)

"The colours red, blue and green are real. The colour yellow is a mystical experience shared by everybody" - Stoppard

Thanks
    Your WIP needs some attention in the perspective department. Do you layout your work before inking? I really can't tell, since these are digital photos instead of scans. The reason I ask is that some of your structures seem skewed, especially the cylinder in the tunnnel, and the flying C on the right.

Something to practice before doing the actual layouts might be to use the eight or sixteen-point method for drawing circles in perspective. However, since your style seems to revolve around hand-drawn, freestyle images, this might be something you can practice on the side before applying what you learn to the canvas.

Just a suggestion. Keep up the great effort.

Thanks
    When I had originally posted this I was deflated to see that no one had gotten back to be, shame on me for doubting you guys.

Quinster - I would love to hear what you mean about these sooming distant, there is definitly a style I am working on, I'm wondering if mood played a factor in these when I was doing them, they were all drawn within a three month period. I appreciate your comment on my anatomy too, I am sticking to the good ol' Loomis school of teaching as much as I can.

Octothreat - Thanks for the support. I am aiming to do more work with colour, as it's relativly new to me. I plan on studing (and practicing) more with warm/cool colours. I wonder if this would be easier with watercolours, any thoughts?

Professor Az - Your observation on the WIP not coloured is very keen. This peice is victim of exactly what you guessed: Poor layout. The perspective on the tube at the bottom is hella skewed as with the 'flying C' which is intened to be a building strattling the peak of the mountian (since you can't tell what it is means that there is work to be done).
    I would like to hear more on "..use the eight or sixteen-point method for drawing circles in perspective" as this is where I find I have soe problems.

Finally, I have taken the advice I have gathered from lurking for so long and am working on composition (now a HUGE part of my drawing process where it was minimal or non-existant before).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.