Thanks

Is it important to study art in art school?

Hi all,

I need your suggestions... Here's the story.

I gradutated from engineering school 2 years ago, and worked as the engineer of one year. And then I realized that engineer life is not what I'm dreaming of.. So I quit my job.

Since I'm intrested in art and design.. I kept posting my work on the internet. While I was looking the right field to study (Master degree), I was recruited as "Designer" in one Singaporean company. Only thing I concern the most is teh company pay me very lowwww, only 50% of what other desiners got, since I had no experience in design field. But I got the chance... so I accept the job offerd. Most of my works are to design UI and to draw illustrations...

I plan to study in US next year (I'm from Thailand). When I'm trying to shift my career path, Is it worth to study Master in art? Or it's better to work and get more experiences?

Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    All jobs start in on the low paying side. Obviously if you see no hope of advancement in there then move on, but it's a way for the company to see if you'll work out and for you to judge the same. And quite honestly why should they pay you top dollar for no experience? Bluntly- you haven't earned it yet; degree or no degree.

Now this "designer" job- is it graphic? interior? industrial? There are a multitude of design jobs out there that still require illustrating.

As far as you career path you have to decide what's right for you. If you think your career is fulfilling then stay with it. If not then move on- what's your quality of life worth? Even if you get a ton of experience at a job you hate, what good is it for you in the long run?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    All jobs start in on the low paying side. Obviously if you see no hope of advancement in there then move on, but it's a way for the company to see if you'll work out and for you to judge the same. And quite honestly why should they pay you top dollar for no experience? Bluntly- you haven't earned it yet; degree or no degree.

Now this "designer" job- is it graphic? interior? industrial? There are a multitude of design jobs out there that still require illustrating.

As far as you career path you have to decide what's right for you. If you think your career is fulfilling then stay with it. If not then move on- what's your quality of life worth? Even if you get a ton of experience at a job you hate, what good is it for you in the long run?
    Thank you so much for your advice.

What I'm trying to change is from "Engineer" to "Designer". And I think I will stay with this designer job

I'd like to go further in this kind of job. But I don't what what is better for me: "Master in Art" or "Experiences"...

Thanks
    The Master in Art seems like a title bestowed upon you by someone whereas Experience is earned and can be verified. I'd go for the experiences over degrees, titles, and other things that can be awarded. Nothing can replace good solid experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    A degree in art by itself is largely worthless. What you should be hired for is your portfolio, which demonstrates what you can do. You should be paid according to what level of art you can produce.

Art school is just one possible way to gain the skills necessary to building a good portfolio. Industry experience is another possible way.

Since you are already in the industry, you could take the occasional night class to improve your art skills without giving up your current job, if any are available to you.

The term “designer,” by the way, means different things in different industries. In the computer games industry, for example, a designer is someone who writes the rules and stories of the game. Game designers are generally not artists.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.