3/02 |29 Demo's from an Idiot| *Video's - PSD's - Processes* (Nudity)(56kBeware!) - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot this last ones and the vids are real nice! I feel I will learn allot from these!

Last edited by ikuru; October 15th, 2007 at 02:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crazy vids indeed. Lovely. How do you get that tasty texture and colors in your landscapes, looks almost like oil to me especially with some of the soft edges you got. Cheers!

SKETCHBOOK: Darkos Darkroom // BLOG: darkos asylum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gah I downloaded these a week or so ago and never stopped in to say thanks! though I primarily use painter, these are really a nice insight into a process for painting digitally. not much else to say outside of that, just wanted to let ya know all the help you've offered is much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not enough that you paint just wonderfully, you also listen to really nice music.
    It would be great if you could tell me what it is (in the last "remix" vid).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ikuru: Thanks much man, let me know if you learned anything and what! Always interesting to know.
    darkos: Thanks! Hmm, not sure I can really quantify the texture and color... dunno. I do set my brushes up a more natural - opacity and flow to pen pressure and I change the minimum size depending on what I need. Cheers!
    Onir: Welcome! And thanks! Painter is nice, I swapped to photoshop for more control though - you should give it a shot!
    Xaya: Track one on the last video is Hooverphonic: Renaissance Affair - track two is also Hooverphonic though I can't remember the track name.

No new art, later maybe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I lerned to use that flat brush tool thing, it helps me to carv the perspective a bit... Also I find it realy interesting how you copy and paste things in order not to have to render all of it all the time... And then using diferent brushes for depth... its all good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ikuru: Cool dude, good to hear this stuff.
    ---

Demo Twenty Five!
    ---
    Photostudy with PSD and Process Crutches used: side by side with photo reference; use of level lines when needed to check proportions.

PSD: Lots more steps inside
    http://www.divshare.com/download/2721310-39b

Happy to answer any questions you might have
    3/02 |29 Demo's from an Idiot| *Video's - PSD's - Processes* (Nudity)(56kBeware!)3/02 |29 Demo's from an Idiot| *Video's - PSD's - Processes* (Nudity)(56kBeware!)

Reference: Three toed sloth if you are curious.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1193107727

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, it is all looking too good to be true. The good thing is that one can learn from your techniques from this videos and step-by-steps. Anyway, thanks for the tips mate.
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lennon: Thanks dood - glad to hear they aren't worthless
    ---

Demo Twenty Six:

---
    Photostudy with PSD and Process
    Crutches used: side by side with photo reference; use of level lines when needed to check proportions.

Yul Brynner in "The Magnificent Seven"
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054047/
    Fantastic western, hadn't seen it in awhile. Really well filmed too. It's eastern progenitor "The Seven Samurai" is still better though

PSD: http://www.divshare.com/download/2967982-3af

3/02 |29 Demo's from an Idiot| *Video's - PSD's - Processes* (Nudity)(56kBeware!)3/02 |29 Demo's from an Idiot| *Video's - PSD's - Processes* (Nudity)(56kBeware!)
    Had to tweak the values - monitor is too dark I guess. Not sure if it's any better now though. Was real good to work in just two values at the start - and really only ended up with three and the blends in between. Learned a ton about form.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demo Twenty-Seven:
    ---
    Fishyfishfish Photostudy:
    Is fish!

PSD: In layers, many more steps.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/2980474-07d

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man these are really nice looking at and really express the essense of it all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome as always man. cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You rock IA, these tuts of yours really helped me a lot! Your generousity is highly appreciated

Thanks a bunch Mr.

I think, therefore - you are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks Apathy! *Bookmarks*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch for sharing this intensive knowledge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ikuru: Thanks dood!
    MeTaL-Mike: Thanks again
    Typheaus: Thanks It's my pleasure, really makes me happy that this stuff can help people.
    king_scribbles: You're welcome *bookmarks*
    Xdreamer: Hehehe, dunno about intensive but you're welcome. Glad it's helpful.
    ---

Another Demo done at work. Video is 2 hours reduced down to 10 minutes. Please excuse all the zooming, its a valuable way to check your shapes; its not nearly as annoying when its not 12x the speed. See the divshare link for a full resolution (16001200) XviD video and check back with a few days for the PSD file if you are interested.

Name:  hillscape.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  98.1 KB

Full Resolution Video: CLICK!

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Downloading full size now! Your colors look amazing!

You may already know about this, but two ways I accomplish the same thing as zooming in and out is to have the navigator open, and sized down to check shapes, and/or Window\Arrange\New Window for ***** This way you can paint on both. When using 2 monitors, you can keep the second window on the other monitor. Although I have to say, I still zoom in and out some.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kyle: Thanks dood! Been playing with the new window thing again, just never got used to it - quicker to zoom like a maniacal demon with ADD. What you been up to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure Demo:
    Tried to make an animated GIF of this but it was way too big and the quality was horrible. So I decided to just post the images and figured I might as well do a write up and put some thoughts I've been having within. Hope it's not too wordy and boring.
    ---
    Final Image:
    Name:  marchfigurestudy3.jpg
Views: 4427
Size:  88.6 KB

PSD and other Files:

Many many more steps and details within the PSD
    http://www.divshare.com/download/3932178-303

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 4312
Size:  24.6 KB
    1. I did this whole demonstration with a 100% soft round. The flow was usually around 80% but on occassion it was at 10% for a very smooth gradation. I came to a sort of obvious realization the other day about how the easiest way to ensure that you are going to learn something with each painting is to try something new. Here besides subject matter as well as a few changes in process I decided to use the brush I mentioned previously Honestly I don't recommend using an "airbrush" for your entire painting but the lighting in this piece allowed for it. I do think however it is fantastic for a general block in and that is what I am doing here. Working general to specific in each stage of this painting made things go a lot smoother.

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 4323
Size:  25.3 KB
    2. Keeping with the general to specific guideline I've begun to be a little more specific in shape form and value - yet I am still keeping the values very limited until I work the accuracy of the drawing further.

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 4288
Size:  24.9 KB
    3. Becoming more specific yet again, the whole process is like carving a statue out of stone - a sculptor has no choice but to block in the large shapes and work down carefully chiseling out the nuances and detail. I am still only working in basically 3 values - my ground (what I toned my canvas), black and a mixture in between.

Name:  d.jpg
Views: 4280
Size:  25.9 KB
    4. I've started to add more values where they are needed. Note that I painted right over the preliminary nipples in order to work on the overall form it rests upon. I think you have to be able to destroy and rebuild any detail in order to get things how you'd like them.

Name:  e.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  27.8 KB
    5. Once again, general to specific. I found working with such a soft brush kept me very general to begin with and all I needed to do to attain harder edges was shrink the brush down. I'm check the negative and positive shapes and whittling down my "sculpture".

Name:  f.jpg
Views: 4340
Size:  28.5 KB
    6. I tend to avoid the face after I get an intial and hopefully accurate block in. I find that I can't stop working on the face until I am happy with it, such a hard thing to get to look right - so many shapes and details.

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 4279
Size:  29.3 KB
    7. I think I skipped quite a few steps here, you might check the PSD for dozens more throughout if you are interested. Again, general to specific. I worked the face up the same way as I did the body, block in and limited values until accurate enough.

Name:  h.jpg
Views: 4239
Size:  29.4 KB
    8. Getting pretty specific now, really paying as close attention as I can to references nuances. I haven't yet decided if I want to work on the references very complex scarf pattern, I eventually settle for a less strenuous compromise.

Name:  i.jpg
Views: 4217
Size:  30.6 KB
    9. I've used an overlay layer once or twice to punch the values closer to where they need to be. Purists be damned The day they make a tablet that affords as much control as a real brush I will give in I didn't spend much time on the scarf but I think the little bit of texture offsetting the smooth gradations all throughout really helps the painting.

Name:  j.jpg
Views: 4249
Size:  37.6 KB
    10. Color! On a whim I decided to see if I could "colorize" this. I think it's very important not to be too invested in what you are painting and just have fun with it. Every time I think to myself I have to have something done soon, something to post or something that I can show off and be proud of - I end up with a horrible painting. Everytime I sit down and have fun and aim to learn something new - I end up with something I am happy with. This is a color layer with litteraly just two colors. It works so well because of the lighting scheme not only features complements but is rather warm to cool. I'm not sure how I would handle colorizing a cool to warm scheme.

Name:  k.jpg
Views: 4391
Size:  40.9 KB
    11. Several color editting tools since the last step, you can see the PSD for more detail if you'd like. A little bloom added with an airbrush as well as a soft light layer I believe.

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 4422
Size:  103.8 KB
    12. I've taken a decorative metal and concrete plate I found on http://www.cgtextures.com (fantastic site!) and mixed it with itself on a darken layer to come up with the background pattern. Again, just on a whim I decided to play even further with my original idea. I find you learn the most from wild experimentation, after all it's all new to you right?

Name:  m.jpg
Views: 4159
Size:  105.4 KB
    13. A few compositional edits, several color edits and some bloom added. I felt the cooler green dominance had a better mood than the previous warmer scheme.

Name:  n.jpg
Views: 4172
Size:  105.7 KB
    14. Don't tell anyone I used the plastic wrap filter on this ... I erased out the bits I didn't want and kept just a little bit on the tops of some of the decoration in order to fake some lighting. Added some procedural bloom and a few tweaks and called it quits.

Hope that wasn't too boring

25. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowa wiwa, that last one is very impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome! beautiful face. thanks for this, very helpful man.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hrh the latest one is EXCELLENT. A+.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow dude. that last one is awesome!!! nice technique.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dude the nekki lady is NOT
    boring. really awesome tut
    you have shared with us!!
    that background texture really
    was a wise choice. it makes
    the image 10 times more interesting,
    rather than the girl herself...

although she is a beaut.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck yeah!

totally boring .... NOT!
    it amazes me how much there is to learn form you every time

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just felt I had to post in here and say this last demo is absolutely beautiful! I am using these demo's for learning and practice as I type this and I have to thank you apathy (somehow i just cant call you idiot, you're far from it ) for these demos. You've provided a wealth of info on CA. A million thanks!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit, this clears things up in my head. This is quite generous, yet very resourceful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaah, so this is where everything went. Thanks for the redirection from CGtalk, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love it!

Last edited by HoodZ; June 10th, 2008 at 05:44 PM.
    well i will lurk here as well...lurk...lurk...lurk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These tutorials are so helpful. Thank you for your efforts to bring them together. I will be looking for more

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8