Sketchbook: BlueMech's Sketch Tome :: Book II, page110507 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOOOOVE how the girl came out. The hair, face, and clothing looks beautiful. But those hands need some help! I know hands are horribly difficult, but zoom way into your reference photo, and (as hard as it is not to) try NOT to think of them as hands so your brain can use the reference better. Yeah, I know I know yada yada, but it will work if you can get it down right. Some people flip the reference over and their art, and try to draw it upside down so that they can get down the accuracy better.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally have some time to work on this for seriousness.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my WIP for a design project. Inner Self, Outer Self, fill with cell shape blah blah blah blah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the self portrait one is coming about pretty nice, but you need to pay more attention to detail on the spartan, especially in the stomach area. Remember with acrylics that you can water down, and do lots of layers to make soft transitions of form. also painting from dark -> light can help a lot, especially when using layers of buildup.

show this sucker some love and really work hard on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude that new portrait is tight. Cant say more than texahol,but yeah, the dark browns make the abs stick out too much. The blue one is great though! Got the expression down there.

Is that masonite? Oil or Acrylic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was Illustration board and Acrylic. It turned out OK, one of the better ones in the class I think. It's still nothing I'm proud of particularly. I'm hoping to get it back tommorw and I'll show you the final.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    skohl ur simple figures look cool dunno why but i like em alot D;

i found a link that might helps with ur digital stuff

http://www.carloscabrera.com.ar/tutorials/

keep posting !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a sketch dump. Selected ones. Taken with a digi-cam because the Uni's scanner likes to pick up pages behind the one I'm trying to scan. So, yes, poor quality. Nothing really good in here either, ART CLASSES take up all of my good drawing time while simultaneously not improving my skills much.

Oh, thanks for the link bob, I'll check it in the morning.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FOCUS!!!!!

in every sense of the word
    visually and mentally

c

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, hold the camera against your stomach when you take them and they'll be more in focus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg. Please make a focus, indeed. :p

Except for that, I think can push only one thing after the girl image. Depth. get some more depth, man. It comes off a bit wrong, not in values nor proportions singlehanded, but values and proportions together. Get the depth in there. Don't know if you understand what I mean. But there's a lack of depth.

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a painting I'm working on for our 5 year anniversary. I'm having trouble. It's based off the reference photo, but I 'm trying to update our looks from however long ago that photo is from. Ignore my old embarrassing room.

edit: OK I uploaded my latest version. ugh.

Last edited by BlueMech; April 25th, 2007 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see one item, blue--study the triangular shape formed by the bridge of her nose and eye--you'll notice that it rises much farther than you've shown, and her eyebrow also slants down a bit more. I'd turn the whole pic upside down and study it--your head is trying to 'straighten' everything up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting there Blue.

Dunno if it's your camera, but a lot of your sketches look stuck in the midtones.

Keep it up dude.

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp, I have not been drawing as much as I should. I've resolved to fix that. There's plenty of stuff in my SB I have no way of getting onto a computer but I did do this today. It started out as a spacefarmer but now its just some regular farmhand. It's been so long since I've done anything serious with a tablet (non doodling I mean). It has issues and I don't know if I'll take it any further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a pretty big improvement anatomy-wise. His left hand seems big, and he might be a bit short but great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I've been drawing and such a bunch lately, just don't have a good way to get any of it on the computer really. I do have this little project due tomorrow. Double self-portrait. One normal, one more "inner-self" and all that.

The first one is from a photo where I was trying Tiramasu for the first time so I was enjoying it but I had a small hint of distaste in my face. I know not to work from photos but I did.

Second one was originally going to replace my first one but I am pressed for time. The eyes were too small and far apart and my nose was too long in it. I'm now going to give the right eye a beat up eye to match the one I have right now. I'm also going to have it sort of like I'm being shot/shooting myself in the head with some explodey head action. I'm going to have it stylized so I don't know exactly how it will be done right now. Maybe some art neuvouish effect with some hidden symbolism.

Apologies for the terrible photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I finished the second one, not satisfied but oh well. Better luck next time.

Damn. So I did another one and I'm to the point where all that is left to do is the BG. It'd look good if it weren't for the eyes. I made 'em too small and/or too far apart. So it looks like I have downs or something. Shameful. :-(

Also there's a picture of something I had to make for my Design II class. Post-apocalyptic Warrior-Shaman Pikachu and his personal mechanic.

edit: Damn the eyes on the second one are so bad. Geezus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194349880

That one is my favorite of the portraits, the only "real" issues I see with it are the eye closest to the viewer appears to be slightly too far away from the nose, and the tip of the nose seems somewhat skewed compared to the rest of the face. While the top of the skull is a bit small, it is far less noticeable to me than the 2 issues I mentioned (although yes, the cranium should be larger considering the size of the jaw).

I have to say the hair and the mouth are the best of the 3 versions in this particular image. In the other two images they seem to read as symbolic "hair" and symbolic "lips" (ie consciously thinking "these are lips, they must be noticed") - where as in this 3rd one, they feel much more integrated into the form, and read better.

The overall values in this 3rd version are also significantly stronger than in the prior 2 versions - more transitions from light to dark, and a much stronger sense of form.

As for the Pikachus, I want to see them fight Mad Max .

Keep up the progress.

Alzorath's Sketchbook

I support sketchbooks! - Subscribed to, and by:
    White Rose's Sketchbook | Matsign's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, it's been so long. Well I'm not dead, just been neglecting CA. I'm on a completely new SB which I've almost filled and I'm currently without scanner. I'll maybe scan in some of the better pages of my current SB later. For now here are some paintings I've done in my painting class this semester, and a self-portrait I did on my own. These are my first paintings and I'm finding I really enjoy it. I wish I had started painting sooner in life.

The blue one is a monochromatic recreation of an old dutch painting. The second is a bit confusing. The assignment was paint something far away from you, and then painting something close to you, in the same painting (many students opted to just split their paintings in half or whatever). I decided to paint what I could see outside of the window and the wall itself. Then for my close up view I painted my own painting in progress (which actually ended up leaving me to paint my drawing of my painting in progress painting).

It's finished now and I'm about to pull it off the canvas to reuse the stretcher and I know most of the issues. Feel free to critique it though in case I've missed something. The "tape" on the painting is paint, not real tape. In person it's by far the most successful part of the painting, in fact most people thought it was real tape and thought I was trying to turn in an unfinished work. The green bag and yellow thing in the foreground are absolutely terrible, especially since they were there only one day of the painting so they are mostly improvised. I didn't get around to repainting all the too orangey bricks the most brown-yellow colour and I'm tried of typing out the issues, they are all pretty apparent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude..you're improving by leaps and bounds.

Heh..I like the second one, took me a sec to figure out it was *all* painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was actually from the end of last semester. There is also a painting of my gf I did in acrylic but it's completely scary so I'm trying to forget about it.

The drawing were from other masters' sketches or drawings. The head is my head and just drawn from a photo. I know Kevin Llewellyn is the arm on the right and I can supply the rest if anyone is curious. I just can't recall them from memory right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some solid work here dude! But i really really like the Post-apocalyptic warrior-shaman Pikachu and his personal mechanic. No kidding. I think i might do that to my old stuff toys too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painting I'm working on. I am going to paint a few roaches using gel medium coming out of her genital area. It's a series I'm doing related by these 3d roaches on them. Acrylic Painto

Last edited by BlueMech; November 19th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.

Dorkthrone is offline The skyline was beautiful on fire. Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am seeing drastic improvements here. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got tonight and tomorrow night to polish up and make one new painting. I'm going to try and finish work on this one tonight specifically. Or that's the plan for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messing around with photoshop on a lazy Sunday. I'm going to do a painting based off a Klimt painting in the following few days hopefully. Digitally I think it's too much of a hassle to get the proper look in photoshop, at least. Other paintings were a series revolving around acrylic roaches i painted and made/sculpted with acrylic medium. One roach even crawls off the canvas and I fashioned antennae for it out of wiry beard hair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2