View Poll Results: Best oversized headgear?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • invinciblewombat

0 0%
  • Pixeldragoon

4 8.89%
  • j a k e

6 13.33%
  • luxun

1 2.22%
  • Lohan

1 2.22%
  • blog

0 0%
  • Lewis

0 0%
  • GreenTopaz

32 71.11%
  • Prophet

0 0%
  • nordmark

0 0%
  • bendragon

1 2.22%
  • Chandan

0 0%
  • Plate

0 0%
    Thanks

VOTING!! Teen Challenge #11

The topic was to draw a guy or girl with a big hat. Vote for your favorite!

invinciblewombat:

Pixeldragoon:

j a k e:

luxun:

Lohan:

blog:

Lewis:

GreenTopaz:

Prophet:

nordmark:

bendragon:

Chandan:

Plate:

Not taken to poll:
    Evil_Sloth - stated as a WIP

Very nice stuff this round! I think shortening the deadline to one week was a good move.
    Last edited by inkerton; August 9th, 2006 at 06:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn youngins ... making me feel old... and I'm only 21!

But seriously you all should be damn proud - age amounts to very little in my mind, experience is what counts - no that's just an external measure. What counts is your determination, just keep at it! (Damn, I sound old...)

Edit: Oh, voted for GreenTopaz - Greeny, you're now offically on my hit list of artists I need to take down... man I need to control my envy better
    Last edited by Idiot Apathy; August 9th, 2006 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    I second the sentiment.

Vote went for Topaz(I can't resist octopus helmets) but special mention for Pixel, Jake, Prophet and Blog.

Nice effort everyone.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Greentopas was clearly the best

All the other artists did a very nice job too tho!
    Up to the next teenchallenge

Lewis

Thanks
    lol greentopaz took this round, I really like the way this whole teen challenge is turning out, there's been some very good entries this round, props to pixel, luxun and jaake for awesome entries also!

Thanks
    Close call between Pixel and Greentopaz. Ah what the heck! Vote goes to Topaz. Tentacles+Girls is a winning formula

Thanks
    Voted for pixel...cause I've never been able to resist the striped gypsy captain look =P

Thanks
    Wtf? Pixel, didn't you finish it? It's a shame, well I still voted it

Thanks
    i voted for greentopaz, its on a professional level.

Thanks
    topaz is a sexy beast

Thanks
    WHAT we were not given a month to do this!?! lol
    ahwell im a noob for not uploading sooner, here it is anyway.
    green topaz! i've heard about your skills. represented nicley.
    Attachment 10771

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i'm having a hard time between topaz and pixel...most of all because i saw topaz' on deviantart already (hi from siansaar).
    still,in the end my vote goes to her,because even though pixel's is fantastically rendered,the originality point (i mean,it's an octupus helmet ,although...*nudgedogfoodnudge*) wins me over on this. nice entries from everyone,wish i was still young nuff to participate
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Damn you Liz!!! DAMN you!!!!

But Congrats on the overwhelming victory... It appears I came in a VERY, VERY Close second place for my half ass pencil piece. I really should have skipped school to color it...

Thanks
    argh tough one between jake and greentopaz, I'm going with jakes though i can't really ecplain why but it tickles my fancy, plus i gave topaz a fav on DA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    green topaz... sure you are qualified for this TD? sweeet, Pixel's was awsome too!

Thanks
    Gotta say, this was the biggest wakeup call since the workshop. Thanks to all the participants for the inspiration and keep doing your thing!

Thanks
    ah I seem to have jumped on the topaz fan club bandwagon. I always vote without reading ahead though. and I too, was struck by the beatuful representation of dogfood's "octopushelmet" I hope Red Rook cruises over here to see it, It would give him a chuckle.

I must say you younglings are consistantly impressive. good job...I'm see you all out there slugging it out in the _OWs and TD, and wow! none of this "that's pretty good for a teen" stuff....just plain that's pretty durn good for any one.

keep working...."MOre Art Faster"!

chaosrocks

Thanks
    I didn't know the octo hat had been done before actually..I feel so unoriginal now

btw thanks so much guys for all the kind words...I didn't think it would be so popular...sorry Justin pixeldude XD

Thanks
    Mine went to j a k e. It has an stylistic/artistic matureness that really pops from the rest (and makes me jealous ).
    Topaz and dragon, nice entries too...

Thanks
    I have to disagree about jake's... More than not, aside from the actual drawing itself it looks like he just used random lines of color on 100% opacity, but I don't think he really made something that 'works' like something maybe Nicolas would do. No offense to jake, (And I shouldn't be the one talking), but I see almost more of a cop-out than something where there was alot of decisions made... not to down him, but I really think he could have done much better than that. When I saw it I assumed it was a fun placeholder piece, really.

Thanks
    ya, I agree with Pixel. No offence j a k e, I just always thought that you should learn the fundamentals first and then do that. Its better for the quality of your art at the end of the day. --------->Nicolas, exactly! a great example of what I'm saying :l

Thanks
    I think you guys are being shortsighted - you can have all the technique you want in the world and still make horrible looking art no-one will want to look at (except artists like us who are interested in just that, technique - but then is it art or an instruction manual?)

Now, for those who worked solely on technique and concept alone - perhaps the goal of the compitition was just concept and technique, or perhaps you yourselves "copped-out" without trying to make a complete picture, working your character into a completed composition and making it feel right? Hmmmmmmm? I don't believe this really, you are just "studying" a different aspect of art at the moment, just as jake is essentially studying a different aspect.

Don't be so short-sighted, Jake's piece has a great feel to it - all this being said, Jake - you could of course stand to study some of the things the others are talking about, we all could - but for god's sakes guys, your emphasis should be something you enjoy right? You should never limit yourself, and that includes sticking to one thing, one style or one way of doing anything.

May I suggest the next teen challenge is less representational? That you all aim for something a bit outside your comfort zone?

Thanks
    I totally agree with Idiot Apathy.
    I think you guys are being too dogmatic with this learning process thing. I believe that it's not the same for everyone, because not everybody is looking for the same thing in art\illustration. To me, jake's piece really stands out from the rest because other pieces go in the typical char design direction. I'm not saying that the other works are crap, damn, greentopaz could go and get job in the industry right now with no problem. Just try not to measure everything with the same ruler.
    And to me, jake's piece doesn't look so randomly built as dragon said. Some decisions look too good to be random, imho.

Thanks
    I'm not saying he has any "fundamentals" missing, his sketchbook is great. I just think that he could have brought something better to the table, had he felt compelled to do so. His sketchbook is nice, I'm not trying to say "go back and learn anatomy and color and composition", because it's obvious he has at least moderate competence about all that. I'm just saying that I wish (me), that he would have done something that shows his true level of skill...

Thanks
    green topaz easily the best one as far as idea and execution
    setting the curve reeeeally high
    if your this good as a teenager i worry about my place in the industry hahaha
    j a k e: awesome work love the indie pop comic style
    prophet: good rendering ..very nice
    i would give more crits but i dont want to
    discourage anyone as this is a teen challenge i have no idea of your age
    therefore cant honestly make a comparison to other peices
    if i were to compare a 13 yr olds work with someone of 18 or 19
    thats a pretty big experience/age gap
    and certain advice is only good for people of an older/ mor experienced level
    but one bit i can give to most of the other entries (not mentioned above)
    more life drawing
    its sooooo important to draw from life especially at a younger age
    it helps with anatomy , understanding of form and object interaction
    as well as lighting
    and also to many of you:
    you are using tiny scribbly brush strokes and that hurts the over all flow of your peice
    drawing larger gestural strokes helps to maintain form, unify a characters anatomy and usually give a better sense of volume
    try doing some loose loose loose sketches / thumbs of figures before jumping into a detailed piece

good work all
    i cant wait for the next one

Thanks
    Woah! I didn't realise my entry would cause so much controversy!
    I'm a little surprized pixel that you said that type of stuff, no harm done though. I didn't realise i would get "attacked"
    I was merely just having fun with my entry. Obviously, i was focussing to get everything perfect, what i really wanted was to have a little humour and fun with it. In the end, even though it might not have been what everyone wanted, i thought that i had achieved my goal, which was to have a certain feel/mood to the piece, and be a little humorous. Was i not the only one who put my characters into a meaningful/proper scene? This has no bearing on the entry really, but doesn't that make it a little bit more in depth?
    Am i not allowed to use 100% Opacity?

I was merely exploring a new style really. Experiment once in a while!

And no, none of it was random. But thankyou to all 3 people that voted for me, and fedezz/Idiot apathy who put up their arguements to support my piece.
    Last edited by j a k e; August 12th, 2006 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I think this is important to all of us "aspiring" artists. This isn't really about J a k e's entry or anyone elses, so I'm sorry if I've put anyone in the spot light.

Quote Originally Posted by j a k e
    In the end, even though it might not have been what everyone wanted, i thought that i had achieved my goal...
    This should be all of your goals, not because you are teenagers but because you all want to become, no you all are artists. Set a goal, and objective that you want to achieve and go for it, your personal work should be all about getting better - production work isn't nearly as fun or rewarding in my mind.

Pixel, I don't want to argue; and I consider you a friend of mine - But I think you are confusing your goals with everyone elses - there is more than one way, and there is more than your way or anyone elses way. If you limit yourself to just one goal one way of doing things I believe it's really going to hurt your future potential. I believe Jakes entry does show his "true level of skill", perhaps it's not the skill you value most, or even perhaps the skill he excels most at - but I don't think you should devalue it at all.

All the entries show great potential and all have their own personal emphasis and perspective, and that's a beautiful thing.

Thanks
    nevermind dude, its all cool from this side, no offence intended

Thanks
    GreenTopaz' looks awesome and is my visual favorite, but man, j a k e made me laugh out loud. My vote goes to j a k e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    just to add for jakes, its a cool piece but I do think it could have benefitted from a little more thinking. its obviously a very graphic piece and it's great because of the energy and spontaneity (didn't you finish it on the first day?), but I think you could have went back to it and spent a few more hours changing things around, changing colors etc to make it really pop.