Bob WIP updated august 15th
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bob WIP updated august 15th

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bob WIP updated august 15th

As the title implies the reason I'm posting this here, considering how early along it still is is to check to make sure my proportions, and anatomy and whatnot are all in line. I'm not particularly concerned about the facial features, because he will be wearing a mask (the reason I put the feature there is so I will know how they affect the way the mask sits on his head). The pose is from photo reference (I'd post that as well, but I'm sure no one wants to see me posing in my underwear). If the pose and anatomy are in line I will post an update later at least clothed, and hopefully with colors blocked in. Please give me any thoughts about anatomical errors.

I'm not sure about the legs because I haven't got to do a lot of leg muscle studies, so I just winged on it based on what I have been able to do (my camera couldn't catch my legs and torso, so I had to fill it in below the crotch from memory). Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sepulverture; August 15th, 2006 at 06:51 AM.
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guy really looks off-balance. Make sure his center of gravity is resting on his right leg.

Last edited by killerpenguin; August 8th, 2006 at 10:37 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------
    "Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it"

www.s-o-t-e.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The distance from the top of the hips to the crotch is enormous, which is causing his thighs to look very short. Unless this guy is packing some serious meat, it might be a good idea to give the proportions a relook. I would toss up the standard points as a guide, to see how many heads high different landmarks are.

The head also seems rather tall and narrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    raise his crotch and lower his waist. then focuse on that area's anatomy for definition - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reduce the size of the head and hands. Enlarge his chest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Roger that. I noticed that the crotch was way low, so i already redid that, and I resized the hand already, I will enlarge the chest a bit and see how it comes out I agree that the head was too narrow, so i will redo that as well. Will post in the morning. Thanks guys!

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more nitpicks...

neck is a bit long
    insertion for the trapezius goes behind the shoulder not in front
    far ends of the collarbones not quite so high
    the sterno-mastoid (neck) muscle is too strip-like, should taper at the ends
    the guy will look stronger if you show some of the latissimus (back) muscles in that spot under his stretched-out arm

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an updated sketch (digital, opened the sketch in photoshop and traced it) I tried to incorporate everyone's advice, although I may have missed some things. The hands are still big, and the neck is still long. But i made his chest a bit larger, made the back muscles a bit larger, more pronounced, tapered the neck muscles, made the head a bit fuller, lowered the top of the hips, and raised the crotch made the man-boobies a bit shorter, so they terminate closer to the colar bone. As for him looking off balance, i dropped a centerline and whatnot, and his head is pretty much square over his right foot, and I though that his arm being extended would also compensate for weight, so i'm not sure how he is off balance, if you have any ideas how i could fix that it'd be appreciated. I didn't adjust the colar bones yet, will do that in my next update. Also, wasn't quite sure how to go about making hte back muscles more pronounces, so i think what i did dosen't look right.

Last edited by Sepulverture; August 8th, 2006 at 11:29 PM.
    page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small update, did more to try to fix that hand, and lowered the colarbones at the ends. Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a few rough thumbs, and decided on a clothing style, and a few mask styles, and I'm brainstorming a background with the theme "King of the Impaled" or "King of the Forrest of the Impaled". There is a story behind him. When i was in school, i had a silly stick figure comic book series that i made as a joke for some friends in which the main character was an anti-hero name Robert the Impaler (more commonly known among my friends and I as Bob the Impaler) who, after going insane as a businessman and murdering someone was committed to an an insane asylum, escaped and made his home in a large tree in a forrest outside of the city, murdering people who strayed into the woods by impaling the on things such as tree branches, or whatever else was convenient at the moment, hence the theme "Forrest of the impaled". I thought the costume/mask combination carries the theme of homicidal businessman pretty well. What does everyone else think? Oh, and the combat boots don't fall in with any sort of theme. I just really like boots, and personally wear nothing but them if I can help it. Anyway, I posted a few pictures with different masks, so people can give their thoughts about which one you like most if you want, and I will decide which one to use. None of his clothes are meant to offer any protection perse, so they aren't particularly thick, and the masks are just to cover his face, not to protect it, so i made them with only enough thickness as i imagined a rawhide mask might have.

So any c&c that you guys could offer would be great. I will block in some colors and post it later, although I don't know much about rendering drapery, so making believable wrinkles is going to be a challange. Any advice about that in particular would be most definately welcome. Also, his left foot continues to present problems to me, it seems much smaller than the other foot, that's something i'll have to work on.

Thanks everyone!

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok a few things:

FIRST, your anatomy still needs work.. so dont go workin on the costume just yet or you'll regret it later.
    1. homeboy's thighs are huge, long, and start too high. [or looks high because his crotch is still way too low]
    2. his lower legs are too short, making him look stumpy.
    3. his hand positioned around the pole is incorrect. try holding something like that.. you'll see your thumb does not cover your index finger. you could do this but its kinda uncomfortable. its also much smaller than his right hand.
    4. his hips are too close to his ribs, giving him a very short mid-section., stretch this down some.
    5. his right hand falls just about mid-thigh, which is appropriate, but his knee is too close, telling me it needs to be lowered, there-by extending his legs. you'll need to adjust the rest accordingly.

id highly suggest correcting all this before yuo do any more work on it.. or else the end result will display all of it and you'll be very disappointed with it.

once its all fixed, costume wise i think the first mask looks the best.. the most psychotic. the business suit with the combat boots is good too.

nice concept, but you're getting ahead of yourself. take the time to fix the body and then deal with the rest. good luck - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jag - Thanks for the bullet points (really, they were really direct, which is really helpful). M@ said some similar things about my character earlier as well, so i went ahead and made some corrections then, but I didn't correct all the things you just mentioned, so there is more I have to do apparently. For now here is an update I was going to wait till morning to post. In this I stretched the legs a bit, and (after looking at my own legs for reference) added a little bulk to the thighs in some places, and took some away in others, i repositioned his right foot to balance the weight a bit more, and reposed the other as well to correct the size, and hopefully make his pose look a bit more believable. I also made his ribcage a bit larger again, as made it a bit longer as well after dropping the top of the thighs, I didn't raise the crotch any more because I thought that stretching the legs would help bring that back into proportion, although looking at it it still looks a bit wonky. I started reworking the outfit to match the changes I made to his body, but when I read your recent post, and you had pointed out some more things I should correct, I stopped working on the clothes , as you suggested and worked on the body more. One last thing - I completely reworked the hand. I took a bunch of my drawing pencils till it all equalled about the thickness of that pole, and i held it in my hand at the same angle as that, and I used it for reference as I drew. Thanks a lot man, and keep the crits coming if you have 'em, I will be sure to return the favor if I can.

On a side note, I believe I will save the body in a different file, and fill in the muscles, and try to render it properly as a new anatomy study, because this is turning out to be quite an excersize in anatomy. I am having a lot more fun with this than I had anticipated I would. Two studies in one it turned out to be!

Again, thanks a lot for everyones crits, it's turning out much better with everyones input.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice update.. now you're improving. you can see the difference. still needs some minor tweaking, but overall you're in good shape. BUT:

1. his pose is still off a bit. his torso is tilting too much to his right. and by the position of his legs, his torso should be twisting slightly to his left. its hard for me to explain that so finding a ref of the pose you want would be the easiest way to solve it.
    2. his neck's still kinda long.

but you're down to just 2 now so keep on man.. you'll get it. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the pose in the original post was from a ref (i setup my camera with the timer, and made the pose myself even). Anyway, I twisted the chest a wee bit. I decided I'm not going to shorten the neck, not because it's too much work, because it wouldn't be that hard, but I kind of like how it looks with the neck being a bit long. here is an update with the clothes adjusted to match the changes to the body. Also, I included his costume without the body in it (although i did draw lines for the neck), just so you can see how it is without all the lines of the body underneath it.

Last edited by Sepulverture; August 9th, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
    page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As the new title implies I have no clue what I'm doing here. I started painting with some direction, and ideas in mind (although i neglected to properly sketch them out) and now I'm completely lost. Now I'm not expecting anyone to hold my hand and walk me through this, for a few reasons. First, and foremost I won't learn shit if people just hold my hand through it, and two I'm sure that no one WANTS to hold my hand through it. But I do need some help, and I'm asking anyone at all for their input here. I have determined a lightsource, although I didn't paint it in yet. The main light will come from the edge of the woods (currently indicated by the brown horizon line) the light will be coming in from between the mans face, and that tree, there will be other trees and people impaled on various things (speared to tree trunks, poles staked in the ground, hung from tree branches, etc.) One thing that I noted today, and am a bit frusterated at is that it seems like the resolution I'm working at now is way to low to be able to incorporate much in the way of details. I think the picture size (before resizing it a bit to post) is 1024x725, where as I can remember people mentioning in their posts that they would do their works at many times that resolution. Can I resize the painting without starting completely over? Or did I dig myself into a nice little pit here? Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Jag - I agreed with you about that mask, but I liked the first and last designs best, so I merged them a bit. Kind of looks like a fish though. Oh well.

Last edited by Sepulverture; August 11th, 2006 at 01:59 AM.
    page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm yeah this has some problems.. i'' be honest. you're not ready to paint yet, so id stop if i were you. Hopefully, you saved a back-up copy of this file, or painted it all on its own layer. if so, get rid of it cuz you still have work to do on the drawing:

1. his left boot looks more like a slipper
    2. in the drawing, im not sure whats going on in his pants but he looks like he has a boner of some sort
    3. his clothing have no drapery indications of any kind.
    4. his coat doesnt exist around his right leg. im sure you meant this to imply that its behind his leg and not visible, but it doesn't. the way he's leaning, you'd see some of it.

lots to do man before you hit the paints. Now, in the bad case that this is the only version you have, you could fix this with just paint, but i think you've made it clear that you dont know what you're doing and probably wouldn't be able to do so. BUT.. all is not lost. a good artists learns from his mistakes, sometimes very hard lessons. its the ones that dont quit and go cry in a corner that really improve by respecting these situations and learning from it. so if it has to be, stop where you are with this and start over. nothing's impossible, you can draw this again if you're up to the challenge. its up to you - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JAG - Thanks for the criticism, big help. I did save a backup copy, I'd never start painting over the sketch without backing up my work first (although I am somewhat tempted to start over from square one). Alright, so you've given me a clear list of things that you can see wrong with the picture. So let's go ahead and assume that I do those (which I will, I think I've spent too much time tweaking his body to just say I'm done in the face of something as minor as tweaking a few more things before going at it again). How do I go about starting the coloring again? I mean, that was the thing that has really been getting my goat. I know (and I've been preaching this to other people) that I should first block in my colors, and whatnot, but then what? How does a person generally decide which details take priority, and which ones take the back seat? I think this is a thing that many young artists get hung up on, and many of them figure out on there own (or not at all).

Therefore I'm not expecting anyone to say much in regards to that last question, but if any painters who come across my thread might be willing to share their process, and maybe offer a tip or two I would really appreciate that.

Thanks JAG, I will post (probably the day after tomorrow, I won't be able to work on this tomorrow, I think)

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    honestly, when it comes to painting.. i wouldnt say theres a definite method of 'this is how you paint..' theres the general way and everyone may put their own little spin on it to suit their individual needs and preferences. blocking out colors is one way.. but not the only way. just play with it man. find something YOU like, your prefered method. color is color.. it brings your work to life [or death]. but other techniques such as blending, lighting and shading, texturizing, etc.. really activate it. again, its a matter of preference. but enough ranting..

a general tip from a blocked in color start point.. is to go from dark to light. i find its just a bit easier. but try to make it a point to let your colors contrast, which helps bring them out more. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just wanted to show you a quick example:

i did this the other night.. theres mistakes ALL over it but i dont care, it was about design not accuracy. i sketched it, defined it, grey-scaled it, then added just a few hints of color to accent certain points. the whole thing took about 45 mins from start to finish. i didnt have to drown the whole thing in color to get the idea across..

i did all the base colors [darker greys and shadows] on one layer, then opened a new layer for all the brighter greays and highlites. then a final layer for the colors, and one for texture. thats my process, hope this helps - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it does help, thanks JAG, You've been a big help in this. Well, like i said yestarday, don't have time to paint today, but I will keep this in mind, and when i come home i will see if I can't get those mistakes in my wip fixed up and I will try your model here, and see what I can do. Thanks again!

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anytime.. good luck man - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a bit of an update, trying to address the issues that JAG brought up (and Thegreypencil brought up in my sketchbook posting). I changed the way the coat hangs from his body, I changed the folds on the pants to try to make them more believable, fixed his boot to try to make it look less like a slipper, and changed his mask to make him look less like a fish. I figured out how to change the image size, so now I'm working at a much higher resolution, so some lines look sharper than others. I started blocking in values for the greyscale version, but remembering JAG's advice I decided to hold off on that untill it's good to go. Someone also pointed out that the left arm may be a hair short, so I'm considering fixing that.
    Thanks for looking, and as always criticism or comments are welcome. Thanks again! Enjoy.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A suggestion on the painting -- block in on another layer- one you have set to multiply- try using the fill tool to put down your mid tone then work into your darkest darks from there. When you are ready to put in your highlights, save, merge down and put on a new layer set to screen. That might help. Good luck, I am anxious to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipnastywebby View Post
    somebody once told me, only draw anime if you can cure cancer with it.....
    This is not the Hokey Pokey, so put that right elbow somewhere else!
    Sketchbook, Staging Area, Assorted Crap
    hendrick.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Hendric. When i started painting I did put it on a seperate layer.. but so far that's it. I know precisely dick about photoshop. I took some classes that involved learning about photoshop in highschool although it wasn't very in depth) but i don't remember much from it. What does setting a layer to multiply and screen do? I know how to merge them afterwards, and when you say fill tool do you mean the slider bar in the layers dialog that says fill? or are you refering to something in the toolbox by the same name? Naturally I will try to figure this stuff out on my own, but any more info you can provide me would be most excellent (whoa! bill and ted moment!). Thanks man!

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hendric - I tried to follow your advice about the layers, and i kinda got it. the bit that i did get helped a lot, i've yet to add my highlights, but ill get there. anyway,t hanks man.

JAG - I think i fixed most of the problems you mentioned. What do you think so far?

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is an update. I guess not much overall, but I have tried to adjust the shading, and am trying to figure out how to texture the mask, skin, and clothes (much i need to learn, eh?)

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright.. shading looks good. its a good place to start. but ive realized what it is about the left boot that doesnt look correct: its turned too far out. turn it back in some, more pointing toward the viewer.

the painting isnt bad either man, much improved over the last example. just keep practising.

photoshop help: man where to start on this one.

- the fill tool is a little paint bucket icon, grouped with the gradient tool. it FILLS an area with the foreground color, you must select the area or just use it to fill the whole page as a background or something.. [called a fill layer ].

- adding textures is easy.. but first, you need to have textures to add. you can make your own textures or just use any image texture you want. for example: i used my digital camera to take a photo of the brick wall across from my front door. i had drawn an image of an alleyway and had all my colors and lighting completed. i then loaded my brick wall image, tweaked it a bit [grey scale, lowered the resolution and opacity, adjusted the levels] and imposed it onto my image. then i cropped and edited it to fit the walls of my alleay and it looks like i had rendered all the bricks. gives it a more realistic quality. this is just one way to do it, but you get the idea about textures.

keep posting your progress, its looking better n better - JAG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sep : I just thought i would look by and say good progress so far,I havent
    read all whats been said here, but I can see your not blocking out the orignal
    colors first in big blocks and then start refine with smaller brushes it will look
    better later Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jag - thanks for the compliments. Also, thanks for pointing out that foot. I et what you're saying about doing the textures now also. But just to be sure. Could I get on google, grab a photo of a piece of rough leather, greyscale it, sample it, and make a brush out of it? I did a little looking around and found a sticky with a tutorial on making textures kind of like that (i think) but for the life of me I can't find it now =/. Anyway, thanks man!

Dile - Hey man, thanks for dropping by! When I started this greyscale version, i actually did just that. Blocked in the midtone grey that's still covering much of bob, added the darkest shadows and worked from there. But I also tried some different things along the way (because of some of the changes I made). It is deffinately interesting trying to figure this stuff out, and applying what I am hearing around the boards, and in this thread.

Well, I've decided to put bob on the shelf for some time. Maybe a week, maybe a month. I don't know yet. On the advice of some of the other members though, I'm going to sharpen my skills on some simpler subjects before I reattempt to render Bob. Untill then I have one last update concerning bob. His resting place.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, nice. good hi-lites on the name plaque - JAG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.